EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 2013 RVForum Moab ACTIVITIES  (Read 32874 times)

falconhunter

• ---
Re: 2013 RVForum Moab ACTIVITIES
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 07:20:39 AM »
One day into the rally and already it's a blast! We had so much fun on the Jeep run today. The scenery was breathtaking. A big thanks to everyone for a fantastic time today and especially to Don and Mary Ann Nesbitt for taking us with them in their Jeep.
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 4 wheel drive,410 with Aisin (Gus)
2011 Carriage Carri-Lite 36 MAX1 With Mor/ride IS System and disc brakes(Clara)

Full timing and loving it!

Enjoy life now.
It has an expiration date.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
Our first hike was this morning and it was lovely in Park Avenue.  Others will probably post photos later.  Last year there weren't many flowers but this year there were quite a few, including desert lupine, cliff rose, Mormon tea (yes, little tiny round yellowish balls that maybe will open), yellow daisies, and another one I recognized but couldn't find in my books.  Hopefully one of the guys will post a photo of it and Wendy will help us figure it out.  Where is that girl when we need her!?!  The greenery looks low and dark green, much like a dandelion but the flower is a pink bell-like blossom.  Also, the big yellow daisy like flower that is about three-quarters of the way down the wash was blooming nicely.  Last week's rain brought out a lot of blossoms.  The Three Gossips are still standing where they were last year.  Our round-trip from Portal to Park Avenue and back was a leisurely two hours.  The group included Olga and Jan, Virgie and Fred, Steve, Jerry, and Ardra.  The group photo will appear later as if by magic.

Wendy (and anyone else) - please see the flower photos to help identify the flower.

ArdraF
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:18:32 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF
:D :D

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »
A big thank you to Ardra & Jerry for leading us first timers on the Park Avenue Hike this morning.  It was a great way to get started and meet some of the folks I only know from online.  As expected, everyone in the framily is just as, nice, friendly and helpful in person as they are online. Looking forward to meeting those we haven't met yet at happy hour (that's 4pm MOUNTAIN TIME!)  :o Thanks for making us feel welcome.  ;D

Steve & Dee
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 04:45:56 PM »
Tower Arch and sandy roads...

We took the Tower Arch trip in reverse... here's some pics that we took

Please help identify the snake!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:32:21 PM by taoshum »
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 05:42:21 PM »
Ardra, looks like an eriognum (Buckwheat). Try some of those in TheBook.  Wish I was there.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Lorna

• ---
    • Our itinerary
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
Ardra,

I believe that flower is the Desert Primrose.
Lorna
Better to drive thy closet than pack thy suitcase
Want to know where we are?
http://whereis.nedreiter.com
Follow our trip of the USA at http://blog.usabyrv.us

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »
Steve and Dee,
 Just to make you feel less  badly about arriving  "late" we arranged for the  4 wheel group (18 of us)  that  went to Chicken Corner to be 50 minutes late to Happy Hour today.  We (Mike and Frank and  Bill and many alfa males)  had to  do a rescue of a Jeep who tried to go out into the desert by himself and actually ended up spending the night on the trail but we had rescue personnel on our trail.  Sturdy Jumpers later they were happily on their way.

So the Awards tonight were as follows:

Care Bear-- Mike Z won because he carries BIG tools with him. He calibrated alternator status, and determined a short in battery caused the problem.   (Also note an honorable mention, Bill R had the sturdy Jumper cables)

Poor Fred was very reluctant and apologetic to bestow Goofy to anyone but a clear winner emerged.  Jan, our Australian friend,  came to Happy hour with his thumb and hand bandaged. At first,  he denied all goofiness and tried to convince us that his arthritis  required stitches, but finally confessed  that he was fixing his RV ( a good thing) and a tool slipped and he was injured (a bad thing).  There you go Goofy!   

Happy Face.. Jan's denial for so long added to the laughter for so  many, thus  he  was also awarded the Happy Face.  He was reminded there is a history of RVForum members winning all 3 awards in 1 night.  Now he really likes Americans and hopes to win the trifecta soon.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:02:24 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 07:12:40 PM »
Easy cheezey on the snake. Of course its my former mother in law!  ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, I'm voting for a glossy snake.
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 10:56:08 PM »
Tower Arch and sandy roads...

We took the Tower Arch trip in reverse... here's some pics that we took

Please help identify the snake!

This is beautifull Gopher Snake   I wish to be there and been able to play with that animal for the while.
Female gophersnakes typically lay one clutch of two to twenty eggs during the spring or early summer of each year. Gophersnakes eat birds, bird eggs, small mammals, lizards, and insects, often killing their prey by constriction. Gophersnakes are typically large, with individuals longer than 100 inches in length not uncommon. Their backs are yellowish or cream colored with dark blotches, and their bellies are whitish or yellowish in color.

guys if you see this snake on the road, please don't drive over. This snake is harmless and so gentle. Just pick it up and place it out of the track.
Australian travelling US in  ACE 29.2
http://www.aussiepythons.com/

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 11:03:59 PM »
Had a great day today everyone.  A special thanks to Ernie and Tara for hosting such a fantastic evening and for Ron and his wonderful photographs.  What talent the members of the forum posses.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 11:05:08 PM »
Wednesday May 14 Activities:

7:30- 8:30  Pancakes at Portal

8 am Delicate Arch Hike  bring water/lunch

9 am Fins and Things 4 Wheel Drive  8:45 drivers meeting at driveway in front of Portal

Maybe more but I forget?
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Photog

• ---
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 11:06:35 PM »
Today was color day in the desert (except for Turkey Vulture rock).  Enjoy,  8)
Bill
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 11:08:14 PM »
Had a great day today everyone.  A special thanks to Ernie and Tara for hosting such a fantastic evening and for Ron and his wonderful photographs.  What talent the members of the forum posses.

Mike.

Big +2
Taos, NM.

Photog

• ---
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 11:12:25 PM »
Bill
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2013, 11:15:24 PM »
Ditto plus what  Mike Z said.  The RVForum  has such talent.  A big thank  to Tara for her vocal talents  ( and Ernie for being the sound man)  and a big thank you to Ron  Maribito for sharing his  photo club  slides as well as his very own work.  It was a wonderful evening!

The evening was warm, bug free, moonlit and perfect.  Even Trish showed up quietly in back row.  Thank you to  all who brought lovely treats.  Sheila J we loved the gourmet popcorn.  Tara, you  created treats all day.  And I saw Dale an Dee bring a big cake! ( but I was full)    Day 2 of this rally was beyond good!

We miss all former RVForum attendees.  But hope you are tuned in here!
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »
And betty forgot to mention how good dancer she is. Feast for our eyes. Larry was great dans partner to her. This Texas Blokes can be proud of them self. I think that yol agree with me.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 11:31:43 PM »
Yep, that Big Larry gave Sheila  a ride on his Harley yesterday, but tonight I got the dance!  Sorry his wife is not feeling well but my  gain.  I'm still thrilled about the whole evening!

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Henry Wishard

• ---
  • Gone Crazy*** Be Back Soon
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 11:42:07 PM »
Trip up to Chicken Corner. What a fun day !!! Thanks to our leaders Frank and Barb and our tail gunners Betty and Terry.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:44 PM »
Thank you, Wendy and Lorna.  I couldn't find a good picture in the books and finally Googled both ideas.  The Buckwheats just didn't look right, but under Desert Primrose I finally saw a good picture that looks to be it.  What tripped me up was that the ones we saw today were all pink but they turn to white when open so I was looking in the wrong color.  Here's the photo for Desert Primrose.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wdemp3Pka3E/S_RBet-gk8I/AAAAAAAAEZY/ihjsTFRATpQ/s1600/desert%2Bprimrose%2Boenothera.jpg&imgrefurl=http://littlereptile.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.html&h=1200&w=1600&sz=266&tbnid=attQD9t_qy5LhM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=125&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddesert%2Bprimrose%2Bphoto%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=desert+primrose+photo&usg=__pMfR7t_tMWdHCqGDP8Wb39BHQX8=&docid=ADz5IloLMRmTDM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=RBCTUYiHPMXUiwKMgIHQCA&ved=0CGAQ9QEwEA&dur=0
ArdraF

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 11:46:21 PM »
Did  we tell you we have the Young and the Senior ( not old) here on this rally?  I am posting a photo of our favorite  friends on this rally..  Would you believe these guys have a 60 year age difference? 

This internet connection to  RV's,  computers and having fun in Moab, is such a  full filling thing to  our lives!

Ron and Jared.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2013, 11:50:57 PM »
When Terry asked Shirley ( Ron's wife) the secret to his longevity, her answer was his orneriness.  I really wanted to hear it was his  diet, exercise or  some such  thing I could encourage for my  hubby, but alas Terry  glommed on to being  ornery  as his  goal for RVing till 81.

Sigh

Jared is a wonderful young man with a great set of parents and Ron is  a role model for all of us in life!  What a RVFroum !
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 05:59:27 AM »
Hi to everyone at Moab.

Laurie and I are jealous of you all. There's always next year and Moab is on the list. The sale of our house is progressing and the panic is building as the closing nears and there is still to much to do.
Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

THEBigLarry

• ---
  • If a Hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical issue
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »
Yep, that Big Larry gave Sheila  a ride on his Harley yesterday, but tonight I got the dance!  Sorry his wife is not feeling well but my  gain.  I'm still thrilled about the whole evening!

Betty

Sheila is a good riding partner and Betty is a good dancing partner, but remember.
What happens in Moab, STAYS IN MOAB.....
Larry and Loretta Dodd
2007 American Eagle 42' 500 Big Horses
2014 Jeep Rubicon  "LoLa II"
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Living Life at Full Throttle!  
FULL TIME as of Aug 1, 2014.

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 08:35:23 AM »
Sheila is a good riding partner and Betty is a good dancing partner, but remember.
What happens in Moab, STAYS IN MOAB.....

just like Sturgis... or Vegas...
Taos, NM.

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 09:10:52 AM »
Henry

Good pics...I can't believe Betty got that close to the cliff.

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »
Betty:   Thank you for your kind words.  I hope I still have a few more years of this in my future.   I really enjoyed showing my work to the group last night and hope all enjoyed the photography and art.    It was a beautiful night out, although I thought maybe that storm south of us was going to get in the way.

I may be Terry's idol for age, but he is my idol for 4 wheeling.

Ron
Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 10:55:36 AM »
I think that Ron did great. I really love his selection of music for sliding show. After few glasses of wine I felt so romantic. Poor Olga. ;)

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »
For all of you that did not see the slide show last night, if you have a PC, go to www.photodex.com/share/42b2pmg4 and you can enjoy it online.  Thanks for the opportunity to present it to you.  Enjoy.

Ron

ps.  It will not run on a MAC.
Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
I thought you might like to know that we have 20 RVs with 40 people at this rally.  We miss those who had to cancel at the last minute for medical reasons.  Of course that hasn't stopped us from talking about you!  ;D

We were pleased that we changed the Delicate Arch hike to 8:00 a.m. because it still was a reasonable temperature.  We returned to the parking lot by 11:15. The Arch is still beautiful and it hasn't moved since last year.  ::)  There were a lot of people and it was difficult to get a good shot of Delicate Arch without people under it.  Chip and Jerry took pictures of Betty, Don, Mary Ann, and I under the arch.

I still never cease to be amazed at the number of people who go hiking without a hat, water, sunblock, or appropriate shoes.  I'll bet a lot of people we saw today are going to have painful sunburns tomorrow.  Also, we noticed way too many footprints in the fragile cryptobiotic crust - I wish people would stay on the trails and help preserve this wonderful place for future generations!

ArdraF
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:41:18 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »
The Fitzgeralds asked last night to see some of my Photo Escapes.  I was not hooked up to the internet, nor did I have my external hard drive available, but so that you can see them and other work, go to the following link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito/

You can see numerous albums of my work.   Look specifically for the "Photo Escaps" album.

I will bring a print portfolio to Happy Hour today.  I have prints of 5 of the "Photo Escapes" in the portfolio.

See you then,   Ron
Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer

Hosted by Over The Network