Aluminum Frame vs. Steel Tubing structure for Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vlady daddy

Which one is better build, an aluminum construction or rectangular steel tubing for the body frame structure (floor, walls and roof) of a Class A Motorhome ?

Second, is it a true assumption on my part to say that the ?high end? RV have better insulation and rigidity due to ?vacuum lamination? styrene insulation or ?vacu-bond?  insulation for sidewall, roof & floor construction compared to hanging regular insulation (specially on the wall) ?

At this stage of my research, I am looking for a common thread what make a structurally sound RV on the road and in the campground.

(Which one is better build, an aluminum construction or rectangular steel tubing for the body frame structure (floor, walls and roof) of a Class A Motorhome ?)

A steel frame in my opinion is superior to Aluminum, its stronger and will last longer, Unfortunately its also much heavier and requires a stronger engine to handle the weight.  Monaco makes a Steel Frame in the Sig serieswith a Dertiot Diesel 500 HP engine and a GVWR of about 46000lbs.  That said, an aluminum frame is fine in a lower price point coach. But your question was which is better, so there you go .

(Second, is it a true assumption on my part to say that the ?high end? RV have better insulation and rigidity due to ?vacuum lamination? styrene insulation or ?vacu-bond?  insulation for sidewall, roof & floor construction compared to hanging regular insulation (specially on the wall) ?)

I may stand corrected but a laminated sidewall is a 2" thick wall weather its PINCH ROLLED or VACUUM BONDED.  The more insulation is available in a "HUNG WALL" which has PINK PANTHER insulation like in a house AND open celled Bead Foam (like in a Laminated wall) This allows for a 2.5" thick sidewall and more insulation. 

For example on Monoco Website:

1) The 2007 Signature Series, Executive, and Dynasty use ?Heavy-guage tubular steel and 4? steel plate backer? wall construction.

2) 2007 Camelot use 1 ?? x 1 ?? square tubular aluminum frame for the wall.

3) 2007 Diplomat, Knight, Cayman, Lapalma Diesel, Monarch and Monarch SVE use ?Interlocking C-Channel? wall frame (Not sure if its aluminum and I assumed bracing webs are not welded since its ?interlocking?).

I don?t see the Monaco Windsor on the website for 2007. Was it discontinued ?

The material use and construction type varies through out the range of models with this company.

It may be because the Camelot and Windsor were becoming virtually the same coach. OTOH the Roadmaster chassis web site still shows the RR8S chassis as being for Camelot and Windsor.

For a good PIC, I took about 90 at the Monaco plant last week in  Indiana and here is a DIP sidewall construction (minus the pink panther fiberglass) , then a sidewall with the fiberglass and the 3rd PIC is the gelcoated fiberglass sidewall baing installed.  Pretty cool.  I have many more if your interested IM or email me.

Attachments

• Picture 055-comp.jpg
    Picture 055-comp.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 060-comp.jpg
    Picture 060-comp.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 061-comp.jpg
    Picture 061-comp.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Forum statistics