Mother's Day Overnight -- Johnson Sauk Trail SP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagnweiner

My 14 yo son has been asking for a long time to go on a camping trip with me and his buddies.  We were finally able to do it this weekend, when I took him and four friends out for an overnight trip, giving five mothers (including the DW) the gift of a night away from their adolescent sons.  The boys were great;  I discovered that if you turn them loose in the woods, they will stay out for hours on end, only returning for food.  I actually spent most of the time either by myself or hanging out with the nice couple in the campsite next door.

Photos attached, if I can get everything to work.

Attachments

• Campsite.jpg
    Campsite.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Camping Boys.jpg
    Camping Boys.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 49
Thanks, Stan. I must admit, before we purchase the RV my biggest fear was that the kids would end up hating camping.  It's been the exact opposite. They just love it and completely entertain themselves.

Those boys just look happy!  I think you've made a good choice and will be making some wonderful memories, this being the first of many.  Have fun.

ArdraF

When we lived in the Peoria area Johnson Trail was one of our favorite weekend destinations, especially early in the season and after Labor Day.

Jeff-

It works out perfectly for us, as it's only about 20 mi. from home.  And although it feels pretty secluded, it's only five miles to the Walmart in Kewanee for those few things you forgot to pack.  We're looking forward to venturing further in the future.  If you have other suggestions in northern or central IL, I'd be interested in hearing them.

One of the other highlights of the trip was helping out a German couple in a rental RV who locked themselves out at 0700 on Sunday morning with a pot of coffee boiling on the stove.  Trying to find a locksmith on Mother's Day morning is not that easy.

Unfortunately, like all IL state parks, budget cuts are taking their toll.  They seem to be trying to put the limited funds toward keeping it maintained, but they don't seem to have much else in the way of management.  The self-check in process was a mess, and the campground store is only "sort of" open.  It had a sign that said if you need help, go ask someone at the restaurant (which only had one person working).  I assume this is because business is so slow that the concessionaire can't make ends meet.  But, better that it's open at all rather than the alternative.

Scott one of the other nearby SPs for you is the Navoo SP across the road from the  Navoo Morman Settlement. The park is small and fairly crowded but the settlement has lots of attractions on most summer weekends.

Another nearby SP with camping your boy would enjoy is The Old English Faire at Jubilee State Park in Brimfield which is held in June. If the CG is full there is boondocking available. It has a great set of bike trails.

For longer weekends we almost always headed down to Lake Shelby and the COE campgrounds. (We towed a boat).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom