Is my truck capable of pulling this trailer ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

68chstiger

I have a Chevy Z71 5.3 with the towing package, it is rated to tow 10,400#. Our trailer has an empty weight of 6,700# and a gross weight of 9500#. Will I be pushing the limit to be comfortable with this combination of truck/trailer? Thanks for any advice

Mountains or flat land? 

Empty weight is meaningless,....but that trailer has a cargo capacity of 2800 lbs too.  How heavy are you planning on loading it?

You should be OK if your numbers are accurate, but if you load it heavy and tow in the high country, you'll spend a lot of time in low gear in the right lane.  That's a reasonably heavy trailer, and you'll be asking a lot of that truck.  Out where I live, I'd be shopping for a 3/4 ton truck, and probably a diesel.  If you're a flat lander, you can probably get away with it.

Depending on the year, you could be borderline or down right hate the situation.  IMHO you need more truck unless your towing strictly flat land.

My truck is a 2010 with 40,000 miles. I was afraid it would be borderline, we do live in the flatland so I guess we'll have to limit our destinations or gert a bigger truck

68chstiger said:
My truck is a 2010 with 40,000 miles. I was afraid it would be borderline, we do live in the flatland so I guess we'll have to limit our destinations or gert a bigger truck

Hey...gives you an excuse to go truck shoppin', right?  ;D

68chstiger said:
I have a Chevy Z71 5.3 with the towing package, it is rated to tow 10,400#. Our trailer has an empty weight of 6,700# and a gross weight of 9500#. Will I be pushing the limit to be comfortable with this combination of truck/trailer? Thanks for any advice
You don't need more truck. Your truck will handle the weight of your trailer just fine. It?s the motor that will be your demise. The 5.3 in not a powerhouse and you will be wishing for more motor even on the flats IMHO.

I don't think you have any cause for concern, but if you travel in mountain regions you would probably appreciate more power in the truck. Once you get the trailer loaded wit your usual travel gear, and the family onboard the truck, weigh the whole rig and then the trailer alone. I suspect the trailer will still be well under 9500 lbs and the total combined weight also well within the truck GCWR, but get real scaled weights just to be sure. Most any truck stop will have a scale and it only costs around $10 (you don't need a certifies weight ticket).

Thanks for the replies, it will just me and my wife and we travel pretty light. Will let ya'll know how the maiden voyage goes next week. The trip will be a combination of flatland and then we get into the Ozarks for about a 100 miles of some hills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom