How to remodel the engine cover inside of coach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alpendirndl

Hello everybody,

I have been enthusiastically reading about all of your RV remodels.

We own a 1996 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. We are in the process of completely remodeling it (carpet, upholstery, paint), and since the entire Motorhome is only valued around $5000, you can imagine that I am trying to save as much money as possible by doing it ourselves.

My biggest problem is to decide what to put on the engine cover that is inside the coach, between the driver and passanger seat. The manufacturer had carpet on it, but since it takes the entire space between the two chairs, one has to basically climb over it, in order to get to the driver or passanger seat, and by then your are wearing shoes, probably covered with mud from the camping ground, so I don't need to tell you what the carpet looks like every time we come home from camping.

We are going to replace the rest of the carpet with vinyl planks. However, the cover has curves and bends, and narrows towards the top and trying to apply vinyl to it ..?!?! We were thinking about vinyl fabric. But the last time our transmission blew, that cover was as hot as a frying pan. Even during regular driving, it tends to get pretty hot, so I am afraid to use fabric.
The next choice would be to cover it with mosaic tiles,but I am not sure about the weight of tiles. The cover is made of Fiberglas...

If you have any suggestion, of what we can use that is flexible enough to go around the curves etc, but can still get pretty hot, I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you all!

Ernie, one of our long-time forum members, is a flooring expert. Hopefully he'll see your message and respond with a suggestion or two.

First line the inside with dyna- mat. That will cut down the noise and heat. Then take it to a bed liner shop and have then color match it to the dash. Finally build a nice cup holder tray for it.

Just one idea of many...

I did the truck bed liner mod to the doghouse in our 1992 Southwind. I really like it - easy to clean, and the orange-peel texture hides a multitude of sins (old holes in the doghouse where someone (not me) tries to screw in a cup holder, etc).

It does get warmer than with the carpet. I ended up lining the doghouse with the foil bubble-wrap type insulation. Much better.  :D

We haven't installed it yet but we bought some marine grade vinyl we intend to cover the doghouse with. We plan to glue the folded over edges to the back of the edges of the doghouse.

With all the curves and angles, carpet is probably the best. Some have opted for bedliner- which kinda looks industrial to me. Ernie- on the road to Montana, currently in Lamar, Co

Clay L said:
We haven't installed it yet but we bought some marine grade vinyl we intend to cover the doghouse with. We plan to glue the folded over edges to the back of the edges of the doghouse.

I would suggest in this case that you apply the vinyl and then whatever insulating material you are using, making sure that the insulation covers the folded over bits of vinyl. This will help save the vinyl from the high heat of the engine. Wouldn't want it to melt or even worse to burn under there.

clemon said:
I would suggest in this case that you apply the vinyl and then whatever insulating material you are using, making sure that the insulation covers the folded over bits of vinyl. This will help save the vinyl from the high heat of the engine. Wouldn't want it to melt or even worse to burn under there.

There is an insulating blanket on the back of the doghouse now. Hopefully I can pull it up and put the vinyl under it and re-glue it.

Thanks for reminding me of the tape!

Yes, I will order the Dyna Mat and tape... and I found a couple of Liner Shops in the neighborhood, so I will get a couple of quotes from them.

Sorry for the late replies, I have spend all weekend morning to night upholstering. So far all I have to show for my hard work is one Dinette set and the bottom of the sleeping sofa.

In the meantime my poor husband was spending all weekend in the RV ripping out the carpet and scraping the edges, since was you all predicted, the carpet was wrapped around the bottom board. To our surprise, the plywood under the carpet is in great shape! No stains no nothing! But the RV is not plugged in, so no AC and 95 degrees outside with 90% humidity makes it all so much more fun ...

Well, tomorrow morning it's back to work and next weekend I hope to at least have the sofa finished, so I can get started on the captain chair. Then I need to do all of the valances around the windows... while my husband will continue the work in the RV, painting, floor, etc.

Good night everybody!

I recovered my with a marine grade vinyl. Then I made a 1 1/2" riser out of lumber, covered it too in vinyl, Used it between the original plastic cup holder and the motor box to rise the cup holder up higher so I could put bigger (deeper) cup holder in. Also recovered the underside with double sided aluminum insulation.

Attachments

• new 168.JPG
    new 168.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 165
starting to come together.
plug that coach in so your batteries won't die- and a fan for your husband, too

MartinFamily. Thanks for the pic. That looks exactly like ours, even the same color of the seats and the same cupholder. I guess all of the Holiday Ramblers from that year look the same :)

Thanks Ernie, I would plug it in, but our AC in the RV keeps shortcircuting the house breaker :)

Hi alpen. It looks like we are doing something similar with old rvs.

Do you mind sharing what you are using for the couch cushions and other interior you are redoing? My BF and I got his 1985 down to metal and wood in most places. I am going to be in charge of the cushions and stuff when we get there. What are you using? I was guessing I could buy thick foam from a fabric store that is cut to fit the dinette as well as the over cab bed size. We are using some for a make-do kids bed at my place and it works well. Any tips you want to share?

I like the suggestions for the doghouse. Especially relining the inside with insulation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom