Performing on American Idol or The Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Occasionally, in a fit of madness, I think it would be neat to be a contestant on American Idol or The Voice. But then reality kicks in; So many of these contestants have wonderful voices with a huge range. They're also a couple of generations younger  :(

I also can't imagine standing in line with 10,000 other folks to get an audition  :eek:

Yea.... I would make the blooper section of the shows....

Always been a big fan of both shows.  This years idol I think is just horrible.  Randy and Keith I like but minaj I can't stand, new. It was going to be trouble when they announced her.  Mariah hasn't impressed but not that exciting either.... Keith seems to be more like a normal dood.... Vs the girls who have egos the size of Texas..... Most song selections have also been poor a best....

The voice at times doesn't get the singing talent but the judges just have awesome chemistry..... So fun to watch.

Both shows have some alerted people...... I also like so you think you can dance..... Nothing like watching hot girls dance around on the 73in tv and since its a dancing show the wife is ok with it :). Amazing what some of the dancers can do..... Again I wold be the blooper section :)

How to enjoy American Idol, The Voice, SYTYCD...
Record them and fast forward through all the c*c*.
I enjoy the talented singers and dancers performing. I don't need the backstories or the judges blathering. The two hour AI can be enjoyed in about 30-45 minutes - and you don't miss a thing!
Bob
I would also join you fine gentlemen in the bloopers reels, I don't even sound good in the shower.

... you could go for Dancing With the Stars ...

The best analogy I can think of to describe me on a dance floor would be an elephant with four left feet  :-[

Tom said:
The best analogy I can think of to describe me on a dance floor would be an elephant with four left feet  :-[
But you would still do better than Chaz and Bristol. You would look good in feathers with sparkly stuff, guyliner and a spray tan. ::)

Wynonna Judd appeared shirtless? I missed that episode  ;D

Chris was watching the shirtless guy doing the 'fast' quickstep on DWTS this week; I looked up at the TV and told her that, if I was lucky enough to make it to the second step, I'd likely fall over  :-[

As someone who's come closer than most people to 'making it' - which is to say I was in a band that was scouted by major label producers/engineers though it never panned out - I hate those shows.  I respect the singing talent.  But to me the idea of just pressing the 'skip' button on the hard work, failure, learning, improving that comes with becoming a good musician just doesn't sit right with me.

With that said. There's nothing that should stop you from recording your own music.  computers and recording gear are relatively cheap.  Though , like the instruments themselves there's a learning curve and is an art in and of itself.  The good news is that there are even a number of services that will take your song ideas and record them for you..consulting with you through the whole process.

You could then even submit your music for placement in anything from commercials to video games to movies (indie is the best bet, since major studios tend to use major labels for their music). No guarantees your music will get picked up...but no harm either way.

Sounds like a parallel to the process of trying to get a book published.

That's definitely beyond my area of expertise (if I even have one :), but I would imagine there's a parallel.  Lots of hard work and being open to criticizing your own work to improve it.

Idol/The voice just seem like skipping that painful process of honing one's craft as long as you look and sound good enough to fit into the pre-packaged product they'll stuff down your throat. (maybe I'm just bitter ;) )

But this is painting a humorous picture in my head...
There's no glitzy way of creating a show around book-writing, or I'm sure they'd have tried it by now.  Actually, I guess the parallel would be book-reading...  lol... since the performers on those shows aren't writing music, they're performing someone else's.  I can just imagine the millions of people who would tune it to watch people get on stage and read books out loud.

(Probably only funny in my head. I'm used to that. )

Back
Top Bottom