Atwood 10 gallon water heater wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POPSNTEXAS

I hope someone can help me with this. I have a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 37g. I just replaced the Atwood 10 gallon water heater (model GCH10A-3E) With a brand new GCH10A-4E from Winnebago. The old model is no longer made. The old wire plug in is a three pin blu/grn/bro wire which plugs into a three pin yel/whi/yel connector. The new water heater has a four pin connector with whi/blu/grn/ong wires. I spliced the old three pin connector onto the new water heater connecting the blu/ to blu the grn to grn and the bro to ong wire. I plumbed it in and connected the wiring and the gas. the water heater heats up with the gas working perfectly but the electric side does not heat the water heater. I think the white wire is for 110v and iI need to know if i connect it diectly to the white wire or black wire leading from the motorhome. the blk/whi/and green wires from the motor home are already wired to the matching wires in the junction box at the back of the water heater.  this leaves the white wire not connected because it is part of the new water heater four wire connector...Where do I connect the white wire to make the water heater work on the electrical side. I cannot afford to pay and electrician as I am retired and on a fixed income.

Edit by John - changed message icon to Topic Solved

What you need is the wiring diagram!!! Call Atwood and ask them for one after explaining your problem.....

I called Atwwod and spoke to a technician who told me I was right about the wiring that I did. I called  Winnebago and talked to them they stated I was correct. I have checked every fuse and breaker and they are all good . I have power to the junction box at the back of the water heater but still no luck I am pretty sure it has to do with the white wire but surely someone else has relaced a similar water heater I hope yall can jump in and help me please?

The problem with quoting wire colour is that there is NO standard. The Wiring diagram, usually found in the WH  installation book is the only safe way to try and wire something like this. Since I don't have this I can't help any further. Sorry!! and good luck .

This pdf file may help you figure out what you need to do: Water Heater Wiring Diagram Instructions for Converting GC10A-3E to GC10A-4E

From
page 5 of the Body, 12 Volt Wiring Diagram for your coach you can see the existing Winnebago wiring connector for the water heater on the lower left side at coordinate C-16.  It has three wires attached to it, labelled JU, JW, and JX.

You'll also note that Winnebago labels each wire every few inches, so you should be able to easily tell which is which.

From the Wiring Identification Guide you can see that these are:
    JU / 14 YEL MONITOR PANEL WATER HEATER SWITCH    -->  WATER HEATER (PILOT OUT INDICATOR)
    JW / 14 YEL MONITOR PANEL WATER HEATER SWITCH  -->  WATER HEATER (LP GAS TRIGGER)
    JX / 14 WHT WATER HEATER                                          -->  GROUND

The 3e is switched on the 120v line. The 4e is switched on the 12v line.  In order to use the original 120v switch in the coach I used 12v wiring for an electronic bypass valve (which I had tossed out and the wiring of which was conveniently beside the water heater ) for the 12v side.  Don't know if that will be helpful, but hopefully so...

Thanks to all of you fellow rv. enthusiasts I now have hot water and I can go visit my son and his family before he deploys thanks to everyone for their help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom