HELP!! Towing weight question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

I am totally confused about weight specifications.  I have a 2007 Nissan Titan king cab without a towing package.  Specifications for the Titan are maximum trailer weight 7400, maximum trailer tongue load 740, GCWR 12,800.  I would like to buy a travel trailer and tow it with the Titan.  The trailer I have in mind has the following specifications, dry hitch weight 5375, dry axle weight 4425, GVWR 6800, CC 1200.  Will my Titan tow this OK or do I need a 3/4 ton truck?  Dealer says I can tow it OK but I want to be absolutely sure that I can and still be safe.  Will be towing 90% of the time on flat land.  So what do you think forum members?  Help me out.  Thanks.

Borderline at best.  Especially sice you do not have a tow package.  Personally i would not do it.  Hut thats just me.

You will probably tow it OK, but you may be towing to the limits of your truck.  That's not bad or wrong, it will just be a little slow on the hills, and the MPG may suffer.  But it will work.

GVWR is the trailer weight to use in estimating tow capacity.

Your tow rating is 7400 lbs.  That unit should handle a 6800-lb GVWR trailer nicely -- as long as you are not towing in the 11 Western States.  In the West our altitudes and long steep grades affect gasoline engines to the point that you need to discount tow ratings by some 20%.  That would limit your trailer choice to one which has a GVWR of no more than 5920 lbs.

Tow in the East, your Titan can do the job.  Tow in the West, you need a bigger truck or a lighter trailer.

If you're mostly in the flat lands, you'll be OK.  Just remember, the closer you get to the trucks limitations, the less fun towing is.

The Nissan Titan is a pretty good tow rig if it has the large V8 and the "Towing Package?.

I'm not sure what all comes with their towing package but if it doesn?t have a transmission cooler and some decent gears for towing you might be pushing your truck right out of it's comfort zone.

It may tow 7400 lbs but it won't be fun and your truck may not last very long doing it. Even pulling the trailer you have in mind at a loaded weight around 6500 lbs will work a truck pretty hard.

I would find out what all comes with the tow package and see if it is possible to add it to your truck otherwise I would be looking for something set up a little better for towing.

As long as the Trailer's GVWR is below the tow vehicles trailer weight number it should be good to go.

You stated the truck max towing is...
maximum trailer weight 7400

I have a 2007 Nissan Titan king cab without a towing package

You stated trailer max weight is...
GVWR 6800

I would say that the truck would work but the transmission and drive-train would take a serious beating. Most likely missing the extra transmission coolers and such. But your weight numbers look OK for flat ground.

What's also important to consider will be your towing usage.  Occasional weekend/vacationing for a few hundred miles at a time, and you probably will not have a problem.  If you are talking about more regular trekking across the country for thousands of miles, then it sounds like you'd technically still be okay but the truck may be pushed more to its limits. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom