Pepwave Surf SOHO launched today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3Gstore_Matt

I'm happy to announce a project we've been working on with Pepwave for over 6 months now. The new Pepwave Surf SOHO is finally a reality and includes a lot of the high end features you see on their routers that go for $1,000+ in a box that MSRP's at $129.99! You get full QoS control, free cloud management, per client day/week/month bandwidth monitoring and full 3G/4G LTE support (Tethers MiFi devices too). The box also includes 4 LAN ports, 1 WAN and has dual WiFi antennas with 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi support (Yes, it supports WiFi as WAN too!).

Checkout our full review here - http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/4490/63/

This unit leaves the Cradlepoint MBR95 in the dust when you start to compare features between the two entry level units!

Matt, I couldn't find the information on the web site, are the LAN ports gigabit Ethernet?

Ned said:
Matt, I couldn't find the information on the web site, are the LAN ports gigabit Ethernet?

No, the Surf SOHO is 10/100 and that's one of the only big differences between the SOHO and higher end Balance models.

Ok, thanks.  I need gigabit for my network attached storage.

Ned said:

Yeah I can see where that would be a downside, Gigabit LAN is literally the only thing the SOHO is missing :(

If your NAS is wireless the SOHO can support up to 300Mbps over 2.4 or 5Ghz.

Ned said:
Ned, why can't you use a gigabit switch to interconnect your gigabit devices and the Pepwave Surf SOHO for 10/100 devices and Internet access?  Wouldn't this address your gigabit requirements and still give you the new features of the Pepwave?

Matt, the NAS is a Synology DS213 that needs an addon for WiFi.  I like the gigabit Ethernet much better :)

Tom, I could do that but that adds another layer of complexity and I really don't have an immediate need for the Pepwave router.  I don't have any 10/100 devices any longer, all are 1000mpbs.

I'm surprised that something that was just launched wouldn't already have gigabit speeds.  :-\

Matt, I have the Cradlepoint 1000 and a Pepwave mini to pump campground wi-if into the router that I have been using for a couple of years now.  Only limitation is the pepwave mini only pulls in up to wireless-G.  Will the SOHO Pepwave handle wireless-N coming in?  That would be the only thing I would gain, as far as I can tell.  Do you agree?

DakotaRed said:
Matt, I have the Cradlepoint 1000 and a Pepwave mini to pump campground wi-if into the router that I have been using for a couple of years now.  Only limitation is the pepwave mini only pulls in up to wireless-G.  Will the SOHO Pepwave handle wireless-N coming in?  That would be the only thing I would gain, as far as I can tell.  Do you agree?

Yes, the SOHO handles wireless B/G/N/A on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. You'd also gain newer MiFi tethering, WiFi as WAN with detachable WiFi antennas, full bandwidth monitoring and a host of other features that you can find in the full review.

cliston said:
I'm surprised that something that was just launched wouldn't already have gigabit speeds.  :-\

With the price point we were trying to hit with the SOHO Gigabit LAN would have bumped the cost to a range both 3Gstore and Pepwave agreed wasn't worth it. Most people that will be getting this product won't be worried about Gigabit transfer rates and if that was a big factor they'd need to jump to a Balance 20 at about $300.

I'll admit Gigabit LAN is nice when I'm transfer from my iMac to my NAS, but I still use it more via WiFi which is slower anyways to laptops. I'm sure as this device grows there could end up being an R2 with Gigabit speed if the demand picks up to justify it.

Matt, I'm a little concerned.  Maybe you can allay my fears.  I just ordered the SOHO and am looking forward to using it as a replacment of my existing Cradlepoint 1000.  What concerns me is that I was reading that the UML290 from Pantech (my 3/g 4/g usb card of choice) has to be SET for either 3G or 4G before using.  I NEVER had to do that with the Cradlepoint, and it just automatically adjusted based on what was available.  Could it be that the Pepwave firmware lacks the sophistication that the Cradlepoint firmware has?  Please tell me this won't be an issue.

DakotaRed said:
Matt, I'm a little concerned.  Maybe you can allay my fears.  I just ordered the SOHO and am looking forward to using it as a replacment of my existing Cradlepoint 1000.  What concerns me is that I was reading that the UML290 from Pantech (my 3/g 4/g usb card of choice) has to be SET for either 3G or 4G before using.  I NEVER had to do that with the Cradlepoint, and it just automatically adjusted based on what was available.  Could it be that the Pepwave firmware lacks the sophistication that the Cradlepoint firmware has?  Please tell me this won't be an issue.

Yes, the device needs to be configured for either 3G or 4G LTE. They actually do this because when modems are in fringe areas it can be problematic having them constantly switch between 3g and LTE, or get stuck on 3G when LTE is available. As quickly as Verizon is expanding LTE you shouldn't have to worry about it to much, right now they've got 497 markets with LTE. This means they've got 95% of their 3G network covered with 4G LTE now - http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/22/verizon-4g-lte-now-in-over-497-markets-95-of-the-3g-network-covered/

The whole 3G network should be covered with LTE by the end of 2013 so within the next 6 months you should technically have LTE everywhere you go. I know I've personally been amazed at how widespread their LTE coverage is, a few weeks ago I was out on the ATV in the middle of the mountains doing a facetime with someone with zero delay. Over this weekend we were out at our camp in the middle of nowhere and I still had two bars of LTE (with no booster).

3Gstore_Matt said:
Yes, the device needs to be configured for either 3G or 4G LTE. They actually do this because when modems are in fringe areas it can be problematic having them constantly switch between 3g and LTE, or get stuck on 3G when LTE is available. As quickly as Verizon is expanding LTE you shouldn't have to worry about it to much, right now they've got 497 markets with LTE. This means they've got 95% of their 3G network covered with 4G LTE now - http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/22/verizon-4g-lte-now-in-over-497-markets-95-of-the-3g-network-covered/

The whole 3G network should be covered with LTE by the end of 2013 so within the next 6 months you should technically have LTE everywhere you go. I know I've personally been amazed at how widespread their LTE coverage is, a few weeks ago I was out on the ATV in the middle of the mountains doing a facetime with someone with zero delay. Over this weekend we were out at our camp in the middle of nowhere and I still had two bars of LTE (with no booster).
Yeah, right.  I live about 10 miles from Branson, Mo.  Branson has LTE, but the only tower I can reach is still 3G.

Molaker said:
Yeah, right.  I live about 10 miles from Branson, Mo.  Branson has LTE, but the only tower I can reach is still 3G.

I haven't been anywhere close to that area, but I know on the East Coast pretty much everything is blanketed with LTE coverage now. Here's some images I had taken in panorama while I was out and a screenshot from my iPhone since I was surprised by how good their LTE coverage is (In my area). In the iPhone screen grab you can see the area in the little window matches the panorama shots.

Yes, I've been impressed as I trek around the country how many places already have 4G.  It just happens that where I am now is a remote area surrounded by mountains in Island Park, Idaho, and only get a weak 3G here. If I travel a short distance into town it is strong 4G.

Pepwave is giving away one Surf SOHO each week for the next 4 weeks by liking and sharing this Facebook post - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151825467649610&set=a.255025154609.175629.200944884609&type=1&theater

They'll be randomly choosing a winner each week to receive a brand new Surf SOHO for free!

Unfair to those of us that refuse to give our life away to Facebook :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom