"Pets are NOT to be Left Unattended.." What? Really?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a great campground ... can you share the name/location ?

And the story about the lab whose owners didn't know he made noise, we had the same experience with our lab. He was quiet when we left, he was quiet when we got home, until one time we were walking and got home to hear him yodeling. We spent the next week working on him and got to where he no longer makes noise when we're gone. All dog owners should believe their neighbors if they say the dog was making noise and take action.

Wendy

As I replied on the other forum, some people just have a issue with absolutes. So if you are asked to leave because the rule actually reads as written, you wont have a problem and be back here trashing the campground...right.

JiminDenver said:
As I replied on the other forum, some people just have a issue with absolutes. So if you are asked to leave because the rule actually reads as written, you wont have a problem and be back here trashing the campground...right.

Absolutely. However I also insist that they enforce EVERY other campground rule with the same zeal. And I mean the ones about rigs over 10 years old, sewer hose placement, noise at night (talking about Harleys coming home at 10:30 after quiet hours, early birds slamming compartment doors at 0600, and diesel engines before 0700) and a whole host of others. I don't have the 23 page rule book from the "resort" we stayed at to quote them all, but the one's about parking in the street, no repairs or maintenance (I saw you spray tire dressing and wiping down your rig) and other such will be strictly enforced.

See how quickly that can escalate?

Ken

The campground is Daggett Lake Campsites and located outside of Warrensburg, NY (Lake George region). The owners are pet lovers and make sure their pet-guests enjoy themselves too. They even have a separate doggie beach!  It's was back in 2001-2003 when we were workcampers there, so I'm assuming the policies are still the same.

They also require that the pet's vaccination papers be displayed at check-in. Not just the collar tag - they check the actual papers for a clean bill of health.

http://www.daggettlake.com/

Some day we'll get to NY and that cg will definitely be on our list of places to stay.

Thanks,
Wendy

Someone mentioned "closing the shades"... our experience has been that this is critical to keep the dogs from barking.  If they cannot see out, they have no reason to bark unless someone knocks on the door or another dog barks within hearing range with all the doors closed.  Leave them plenty of food, water and a comfy place to sleep and they seem to "enjoy" it just fine and are happy that they don't have to get tossed around in the Jeep as we go on the off-road trips.  Leave the a/c set on 75 so they don't get too warm.  If it's really warm/hot and the RVPark has a sustained power outage... there's a potential problem... so we always return to the RV Park before it gets too hot or arrange for someone to take care of 'em if there's a power outage.  One RV had an issue of the a/c failing, even with power.  Ours has never failed in the three years we have used it.  Maybe we need to leave the roof vent fan open and running?  The chances of hot weather, a/c failure, power outage and us being late all on the same day are very low.

Most of you are voicing your opinion based on using your RV for vacation.  Please keep in mind that many of us are full-time RVers, and the coach is our home.  You should be careful to criticize someone for leaving their pet for what you think is a long time when you don't understand their circumstance.  The situation in the coach with barking is similar to if you were renting an apartment, and your neighbors had to suffer with the noise.  I have multiple fail-safe devices that will guarantee the comfort our our pet.  If the power goes out in the campground our generator is set to auto-start.  If that fails we have a device that detects if it is too hot or cold, or if there is a loud noise, and it will text my phone and send an email.

It is true that you don't always know whether your dog is barking or not when you are gone.  We had a very nice neighbor when we had our previous dog that told us that it didn't bother them, but that our dog barked alot when we weren't there.  We went out and bought a bark-collar which I really didn't want to use, but it proved to be quite effective.  We are very lucky that our current dog, Dakota, is very quiet when we are out.
++Larry

bucks2 said:
Absolutely. However I also insist that they enforce EVERY other campground rule with the same zeal. And I mean the ones about rigs over 10 years old, sewer hose placement, noise at night (talking about Harleys coming home at 10:30 after quiet hours, early birds slamming compartment doors at 0600, and diesel engines before 0700) and a whole host of others. I don't have the 23 page rule book from the "resort" we stayed at to quote them all, but the one's about parking in the street, no repairs or maintenance (I saw you spray tire dressing and wiping down your rig) and other such will be strictly enforced.

See how quickly that can escalate?

Ken

Ken

We have only used campgrounds twice since getting this trailer and that was its shake down tour.  I knew what the rules were and knew I was expected to abide by them, especially the ones regarding our dogs. I expect others to do as well or have the rules be enforced but unless someone complains, nothing happens.
We hadn't been in a campground in over a decade and in two weeks I gave up the thought that we would be having full hook ups anytime soon. People allowed their dogs to run free or unattended. Between my dogs and others the barking was constant and we ended up leaving ours inside except for quick potty breaks when the way was clear. During the week we had the loop to ourselves but the weekends were hell.
After that we returned to boondocking and the seclusion and silence it offers. I miss meeting and talking to people, seeing their rigs and such, I just couldn't take the din and being crammed in like sardines. There are rules up there with fines to pay if you want to push it. Leave your dog unattended on a tether or leave it run loose and something may just see it as dinner.

We close all our shades, turn on the AC, give then fresh marrow bones, turn on classical music or Cartoon Network and they could care less as we walk out the door. BTW they don't prefer Disney channel. Oh yes don't forget to fluff up the pillows.

JiminDenver...
Don't give up on full service campgrounds - many are not like what you described.

Campgrounds within  easy driving distance of major cities tend to be the worst on weekend - they get flooded with people on weekend getaways. But there are other places!

JiminDenver - I have been living full time in campgrounds for years and I have never experienced anything remotely close to what you are describing. I can't remember the last time I saw a dog running loose. Cats yes, but dogs never. Letting a dog run loose is the fastest way to get kicked out of a campground.

I guess I have 2 reasons not to visit Colorado anymore. If they let their dogs run around loose instead of taking care of them properly then that's not a place for me. Like the others have commented, (we spend 9 months per year in RV parks and campgrounds with both the boat and MH), I just don't see that kind of behavior. We walk our dog 3 times daily.

Ken

Tom
If you are ever in my neck of the wood, stay at Horsetooth reservoir, you are in for a real treat.  ;)

We have only used campgrounds in the past to meet up with friends that were not up to roughing it and that was long ago. Since this was our first rig with toys, I wanted to go somewhere that we could use them. Since then we know that aside from needing the generator for AC, there isn't much of a difference in comfort level than while boondocking.  Since we camp at 9-10000 ft the AC is rarely needed and I've added solar, increased the battery bank, and installed LEDs, all so we hopefully never need to run the generator. I hate listening to it as much as I do the dogs.

There is a State park minutes from us with FHUs that we may give a try Monday thru Friday. A few sites are isolated enough that I should be able to keep the pack quiet and it's close enough that the site fees would be the same as it cost us in gas to get up to the boondocking area we use. Any longer than four days and it's cheaper to go boondocking for two weeks.

bucks2 said:
I guess I have 2 reasons not to visit Colorado anymore. If they let their dogs run around loose instead of taking care of them properly then that's not a place for me. Like the others have commented, (we spend 9 months per year in RV parks and campgrounds with both the boat and MH), I just don't see that kind of behavior. We walk our dog 3 times daily.

Ken

Ken

Comparing what I experienced in public campground vs what's available on NSF and BLM open space is night and day. Being stacked like a cord of wood on a parking lot just isn't camping to us.

As far as the other thing goes, can't help you there.

bucks2 said:

Ken

I live and camp in Colorado and I've rarely seen that dog owner behavior. I see loose dogs a lot more out on the public lands, forest service and BLM. I have occasionally seen a dog in a campground that was unsecured and came out to the road to say Hi if we were walking but the owner's always quickly called the dog back into it's campsite. Of course, I've seen the same thing in California, Utah, Texas, Missouri, and every other state we've travelled in. Don't give up on Colorado.

Wendy

Most of the dogs running loose in campgrounds, that I've seen, were (according to the CG management) dogs from the surrounding neighbor hoods out looking for a handout.

I am currently working a U.S.C.O.E. park here in Arkansas, and have very few problems with the campers dogs, but we do have a problem with area dogs coming into the park.  Last year the Animal Control people started patrolling the area, and any loose animal found is taken to the shelter. One of the neighbors in the housing development down the road was highly indignant when she had to go get her pet back. It seems that the rule is that it had to be neutered before they would return it, and she had to pay for that as well. I got a piece of her ire when she found out it was picked up in the park. I just told her that we have no control over the County Animal Control patrolling in the park as we are part of the County. [NOTE: Her Sub Division is in the City.]  We also have leash rules here in the park, and violation can result in being asked to leave.

Lee

Now that everyone has aired there opinions I travel with a German shepherd big and all black. My dog has been trained in police work. Obeys very well. Many people are afraid just because his size. Now in a campground there is usually no place they will let you play with your dog off leash. Keeping a dog in your motorhome is no different than leaving him at home.. I take mine so he is not left alone, we can play with him as we'll as keep training him. I could never leave a key with anyone, he might just hurt them if they entered our coach. I feel a lot better if I go somewhere and the dog is with my wife for protection . We love our pet and take great care of him. I understand why there are policies in place at campgrounds. Some people won't or can't control the pets including cats. So please don't put everyone in the same category just respect other campers. Also I would like to know more about boondocks camping? Someone owns the land, how do you no where you can just stop and set up camp?  Ken

Boondocking is no different than anywhere else - you either use a designated campsite (often for a fee) or get the owner's permission for a free stay. Some public lands allow open camping in various areas and many have designated "unimproved" campsites, which mostly means they lack amenities like water and electric hook-ups, tables, fire rings, etc. There may be a well or a gray water dump near by, or maybe not. Campsites vary a lot, so check the details for each place you are interested in. Try US Forest Service (national forest) and BLM-administered areas for boondocking sites.

You can sometimes "boondock" even in private parks, i.e. use a "no hook-up" campsite. Some campgrounds have them for overflow use on busy weekends, or have them for tents and pop-ups that generally don't need them anyway.

dverstra said:
Michele
We bring our 2 Corgis with us wherever we travel and leave them in our motorhome when we are out seeing the sights. We don't usually leave them for too long or we might have a mess ::) . After all, when we are at home and both working, they don't see us until lunch time. I then take them out for a walk. That walk is usually around the park where they make new friends. They are also a source for social interaction with my neighbors. We stop and say hi. I usually ask my next door neighbors if they have been noisy at all. Traveling with dogs and walking them thru the park is part of the experience. 8)

My spouse and I have 2 Shelties. We intend to live full time in our RV for about a year. I'm pretty nervous about the barking! We spend most of our time with the dogs. But they do bark sometimes. I don't want to upset anyone. Since you also have 2 small herding dogs, have you had any issues with barking?

Back
Top Bottom