EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: How small is the RV that you're fulltiming in?  (Read 12714 times)

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: How small is the RV that you're fulltiming in?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 06:51:39 PM »
Setting Out Soon, from what I've read on these forums (and have experienced with the state parks here in Calif.) 30' generally seems to be that limit size for state and national parks.

We're 28-foot, 31 with the bike rack on. We've stayed at lots of state and national park campgrounds. Many of the California beach state parks have a limit, usually 30 or 32 feet, but we've never found one we didn't fit in and I've seen bigger rigs in most of them. And a lot of them can handle 40-foot or bigger. As for national parks, there are only a couple we've been to that had limits in the 30-foot range (Natural Bridges is 26, Navajo is about 30), most can handle larger rigs. Now when you start hitting National Forest campgrounds, there are LOTS of those with size limits. They were mostly built for tents and truck campers and you'll have trouble in many of them if you're over 30-foot.

Wherever you go, enjoy the trip.
Wendy

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

SettingOutSoon

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 09:50:43 PM »
Many of the California beach state parks have a limit, usually 30 or 32 feet

Man, that's a good example. Something to think about.

JCZ

• ---
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 07:50:50 AM »
California Big Trees State Park has a Max. Camper Length (motorhome) and Max. Trailer Length of 30'.  http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=551   I don't think it's so much the length of the actual camp sites but the narrow, twistie roads that travel through the park with trees that are right up next to to the road.

2013 Fox Mountain 235RLS pulled by a 2012 F-250, 3.55 Electronic Locking Differntial, 6.7L Diesel, Supercab, Lariet, FX-4, Longbed.
http://49errvpark.blogspot.com/

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »
Main reason for the size limit at so many of the California beach parks is that they were originally parking lots, converted to campgrounds. You can find size limits for many campgrounds and for specific campsites at reserveamerica.com

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

SettingOutSoon

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »
Maybe I need a 30' toy hauler with a back porch and a side porch feature of some kind too. Roll in small and open it up like a pop-up book.

chaplainrobert

• ---
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 11:20:18 AM »
I fulltime in an 18 foot bumber pull work and play and am happy as a clam going on 18 months. I think I would be lost in a bigger place but I have recently been looking at videos of class a toy haulers. When I eventually sell my homestead in MO, I will likely move up to a bigger rig because I miss having a dog but while I am comfy in my little trailer, I think even a chihuahua would make it feel crowded.
2011 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Work-And-Play toyhauler
2011 Ducati Multistrada MTS
full timing since October 2011 as traveling healthcare worker

yarnkitty

• ---
    • chronicconcerns
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 05:20:51 PM »
My husband and I have been living in a 35 foot class A with no slides with an 85 lb dog and two cats for the last 7 months.  Like the earlier poster, medical obligations overcame rent and utilities.  We are very happy with the size of our rig.  I do have hobbies like sewing that take some room.  When the sewing machine is out there's no table left.  But the rest of the time the machine lives next to the cat box under the little table behind the passenger seat up front.  We've had to employ some creative storage options of that nature.  The real challenge is coming in a couple weeks when my husband's children come to visit!
Caryl and Todd
Allie (lab mix), Mr. Bebe and Miss Bebe (kitties)
Living in a 1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34-J
in the Lost Pines of Bastrop, Texas

stormy2000

• ---
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2013, 02:09:04 AM »
hello,

my wife and I and our boxer/lab and sharpei/hound live in a 34.5 ft TT with 2 slides, nice floorplan (wife picked it), : )   if we were to go up in size, it would be 36 ft, maybe 2 more ft.  we just started full time 8 mos ago and we love it.  but 34 - 36 ft seems to us a good size as far as driving it and parking it goes.

bill & jodi
bill & jodi

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »
slides over length is what really makes an R/V bigger, the 34 foot long full body slides are huge inside.

Jaydrvr

• ---
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »
I'm of the "state of mind" school of thought.  Your two seats on two bikes with no roof makes our situation seem positively palatial.  The DW and I have lived in a 61" long truck sleeper while working the freight lanes for over ten years, and love it.  We see our S & B maybe 20 days a year.  Sacrificing space now will (hopefully) provide a much larger 5er for retirement soon.  In the meantime, we have all the comforts of home, and are very content with our micro suite.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:44:15 PM by Jaydrvr »

wscap

• ---
    • Have God Will Travel Evangelism Association
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »
My wife and I (no pets) full time in a 28 foot 94 Rockwood Bayport. For us it is cozy. But we get along great so being in a small space together is more a blessing than a curse. We did have to get rid of a lot of "stuff". But we have never been happier.  :)

SailorTrash

• ---
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »
Newbie here. My wife and I are living in a 36' pusher, am '87 Monaco Diplomat, just the two of us and a 50-pound LabraHound. It's actually an upsizing from our last live-aboard, a 33' sailboat. This RV has a lot more room.
Mike and Katie, and Simon the dog
Yacht: 1987 Executive Diplomat 36
Tender: still looking for the perfect econo-car
Currently just north of Charleston SC

MistWolf

• ---
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2014, 12:51:48 PM »
M'Lady Wolf and I live in a 32' motorhome with a slide. For us, the slide makes all the difference in the world. We pull it in to make our propane runs and always heave a sigh of relief when we get back and deploy it again. I work full time and we've been in the same place for just over a year. Sometimes it feels cramped one one or both of us pull out our tools, gear, what have you until we put it all away again. I can't say the wife makes it feel crowded- in fact, the place feels empty when she's away visiting for a few days.

What makes a big difference for us was floor plan and slide. If I had to choose between a longer motorhome and no slides and a shorter one with at least one slide, I'd choose shorter & slidier every time. If I could figure out how to add another slide to ours, I would! We spend a lot of time inside especially during the winter. During the summer, we're inside because our awning is broken and I don't have the funds to get it repaired or replaced.

We have no pets and I'm not sure how we'd handle a dog or cat at this time

rickf

• ---
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 02:50:07 AM »
JCZ,
We full timed for 1 1/2 years i a AF 25P.  Yes, we did travel as well.  like anything, room was a little tight
but we are retired so we didn't need a lot of clothing we might have if working.   the other hand, being smaller,
we could get into almost any state or national forest.  We also plan to take off for a year again in November.
It all depends on how you adjust to less space.  we use the adage, you have to have a place to put it
before you buy it.
Rick
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2012 GMC 2500 duramax

millartist

• ---
    • Millwood Southern Artists
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »
We started out in a tent trailer then a 30 ft tow behind with one super slide now we have a 34 ft 5th wheel 2 slides and rear kitchen the floorplan was the most important thing for us I love to cook so a large kitchen was a must we have been remodeling everything else to suit our needs and wants I think it is important to know your personal needs when choosing and take your time we have taken 6 years to find our current home
1998 Alpinelite
2002 Dodge 2500
Fulltimer artists traveling through life
Elizabeth Larry and Ebony

Hosted by Over The Network