Yosemite!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
June Lake really isn't a very good option for staying at Yosemite. The Tioga Road is very steep and goes up to 9000 feet. It is two hours to Yosemite and then a few more to the valley floor.

The second time I hiked Angel's Landing I was about half way up the chains and I got passed by a group of a dozen teenage girls who were acting like they were walking through the mall. Laughing, playing and having a blast. They blew right past me. When I got to the top they were all standing around giggling. I went up to one of them and asked what kind of group it was. I was told they all worked locally and Friday was their day off so every Friday they hiked to the top of Angel's Landing. Up until then I thought I had really accomplished something. They brought me back to reality.

When you hike Angel's Landing you hike on the valley floor for the first mile and then you end up in Refrigerator Canyon. At the end of the canyon is Walter's Wiggles. This is something that should be on everyone's bucket list. At the top of Walter's Wiggles is Scout's Landing and then the chains start. So have the whole family get to Scout's Landing so that you can experience Walter's Wiggles. It is a really easy hike to Scout's Landing.

Attachments

• WW.jpg
    WW.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 25
Fyrestorm said:
Campfire RV, look forward to the pics.  2 hours from the valley is a littlere steep.  What about the Mariposa Grove?  Were looking to see the grove and that looks farther. 
I've never been in Mariposa so I wouldn't be of much help on that side of the Sierras.

Well, I talked the wife into the hike up to Scouts Landing.  Then she will make the decision whether or not to continue.  If she won't, she will wait for me to complete it.  Thanks for ther insight, I can't wait to go!!

Looks like we will concentrate on Wawona for our place to stay in Yosemite.  Plan B will be the Indian Flats RV Park.  I called them and they will refund 100% if you cancel over 48 hours out.  So, I can get a reservation there, then attempt for Wawona next Febuary. 

Wawona in February could be very dicey. It is over 4000 feet in the Sierras and odds are it will be extremely cold and there will be snow on the ground. That is why you don't need reservations in February.

I have hiked a large number of the best trails in the National Parks in the lower 48. My all time favorite hike is the Narrow in Zion. If you are there in summer time make sure you check it out.

Zion is just one big valley carved by the Virgin River. At the entrance to the valley it is a half a mile wide. As you head north up the valley it gets narrower and narrower. When you get to get to the Temple of Sinawava at the end of the line for the shuttle bus, the valley is now a hundred yards wide. At this point the road ends and there is only room for a trail and the river. So you hike up a one mile trail called Riverwalk. After a mile there is not enough room for the trail and the river so the trail ends and you continue the hike walking in the river.

At this point the valley is getting pretty narrow. As you hike up the Narrows it just gets narrower and narrower. At about the three mile point you run into Wall Street where the walls are about 35 feet apart. The really cool thing is that the canyon walls at this point are over 1000 feet high and go straight up. The sky is a mere thin ribbon of blue. Since Zion gets to over 100 degrees in the summer time it is a very refreshing hike in 60 some degree water.

There is no chance of drowning. The river is going at a slow pace and it almost never gets above your knees. But since the rest of the park is baking, the Narrows are like a freeway. To dress for the hike you put on old tennis shoes with no socks and bathing suit. One walking stick is really helpful. Don't go to the outfitters and pay big bucks for their stupid Narrows shoes and walking stick. A tree branch found in the campground works perfect.

One other thing about Zion. Go rent a copy of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. About ten minutes into the movie Butch and Sundance are riding their horses back to Hole in the Wall. One of the scenes was filmed at the Big Bend shuttle stop. The scene starts with the camera pointed almost directly at Angel's Landing and then pans around to show the Saddle and then the Virgin River about a mile from the Narrows. The Saddle is the scariest part of the chains. There is a 1200 foot drop off on one side and a 1400 foot drop off on the other side. The trail is about a yard wide at this point. It is scary, but one of the highlights of the hike. Look closely and you will see my fingerprints embedded in the chains at this point.

If you wife and kid want to try the chains out it is pretty easy up to the Saddle and there is a dynamite viewpoint just before the Saddle:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7kNWph9RR-AdGrT6vSk069RRkhllQ88s5X_b5YHd1gI?feat=directlink

The view in this photo is about a quarter of a mile from Angel's Landing. The right hand side of the photo is the start of Refrigerator Canyon. Behind me is the valley floor heading south. When you make it to Angel's Landing you will understand why the hike is so wildly popular even though it is scary. The view from the top is one of the best scenic sights you will ever see. If your wife doesn't take that part of the hike you will be able to kid her about missing it.

BTW - The scene in Butch Cassidy where Butch rides the bike was shot just south of the park. 

Attachments

• butch.jpg
    butch.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 16
Sorry, should have been more clear.  You make reservations in February for June of 2014.  That's when we will be in Yosemite.  Thanks for the info though!

The Narrows are definitely on the list. We will be there middle June.  I have read a lot about the shoe rentals for the hike.  I will be happy to take the advice and not waste my my money.  We have plenty of old tennis shoes.  I'm holing my wife attempts some of Angels Landing.  To be right there and not see it would be sad.  I really appreciate all the info you have provided.  I'm sure our trip will benefit greatly!

The outfitter make it sound like you will severely injure yourself if you don't use their shoes and poles, yet only about 1% of the people hiking the Narrows rent their gear. It costs like $25 to rent shoes, a pole and a backpack for one person for one day. It always cracks me up to see a family of 5 coming up the Narrows all wearing the shoes, the backpack and having the stick in their hand. $125 for a two hour hike. But even funnier are the people who rent wet suits for the hike. And even funnier yet are the people who rent dry suits. Yes the water is cold but dang it feels fantastic.

The middle of June may be too early for the Narrows. That is about the time they usually open up. The criteria for opening the Narrows is the water must be flowing less than 135 cfm (I think that is the number). This year has been a light year for snow in the west so it will probably be open in early June. Whether or not the Narrows are open is posted in the Vistors Center. Or you can call the park and they will tell you.

And if it's unseasonally cold.....you'll get a chance to see the frazil ice first hand.    http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/frazilice.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9p4mFEYXc 

6/22, 6/23 and 6/24/14 are the dates we have slated for Zion/Bryce.  Gonna stay at bryce/zion campground which sits in the middle of the two parks.  Anyone have any experiece staying at this park?  From what I read it seems nice and its close to both parks.  Hopefully the Narrows will be open by then. Sounds like we will cut it close.  If you read about the Narrows over on Trip Advisor, almost everyone tells you to rent the shoes and stick.  Too funny....I just had this feeling it was a waste.

Never heard of Frazil Ice.  That would be neat to see.  We may be a little late but who knows!  We leave Zion 6/25 (drive day) and plan on staying in Yosemite 6/26, 6/27 and 6/28/14. Then 2 days to drive to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone.

I don't understand which park you are talking about Zion and Bryce are located 80 miles apart. What is the name of this place?

My recommendation is Watchman Campground in Zion and Ruby's at Bryce.

Warning....when entering or leaving Bryce Canyon NP.....within ten miles in any direction.....do not go above the speed limit!  I mean don't even creep 2-3 mph over the posted limit!  Don't ask me how we'd know that.

But also know that there's not a traffic attorney within 60 miles of that little town.

JCZ said:
Warning....when entering or leaving Bryce Canyon NP.....within ten miles in any direction.....do not go above the speed limit!  I mean don't even creep 2-3 mph over the posted limit!  Don't ask me how we'd know that.

But also know that there's not a traffic attorney within 60 miles of that little town.

I'll remember that!!!

Its called Bryce/Zion Campground. (www.brycezioncampground.com)  Formerly the Glendale KOA

I was told by someone it sits between the two parks.  So, its 30-40 minute drive in each direction.  I am willing to plop down in the middle to reduce the amount of times I have to take down and set up.  Especially when its that short of a drive.

I have never heard of the place but it looks just fine to me. You might want to plan an morning trip to Cedar Breaks National Monument. Not a lot to do there but worth taking a look if you have the time.

I should also mention you don't really need old tennis shoes for the Narrows, I usually just use the tennis shoes I normally wear. Just don't wear socks, it's easier that way. If you want to take a small camera or your wallet, or stuff like that on the hike what I do is put the stuff in a zip lock bag and expel all the air. Then I put that into a second zip lock and expel the air and then put that into a third zip lock and expel the air. Then just carry it in your pocket.

I should also mention there are two schools of thought on hiking the Narrows. The first school is to hike straight down the middle of the river all the time. The second way is to walk along the shore when possible and then when the river curves move to the other bank and walk along that bank. The Virgin River has a lot of curves in it and ever curve erode the outer shore and deposits sediment on the inner shore. So it is possible to actually do a lot of the hiking on land or all of it in the water. What I do is hike in the water when I am hot and hike on the shore when I am a bit cool.

The Narrows is the ultimate hike for kids. They can run, jump, swim, throw rocks and do all the things that they usually can't do when hiking. So at the start just let them loose and watch them have the time of their lives.

The first place we are stopping on our cross country trip next month from CA to KY will be at the Watchman Campground in Zion then the following morning at Bryce Canyon for one of the first come first serve campgrounds near the Visitor Center. We will only be at each park for one day. We decided to stay one day at each because they are both close enough for us to go back and spend more time at another time since they are just a little over 6 hours away from us.

Thanks for all the advice on the Narrows!  Looking forward to it.  Have you ever been to Rocky Mountain National Park?  Thats my next planning adventure.  We have 3 days to kill there. 

Yep I have been to Rocky Mountain National Park. I have been to all 46 of the National Parks in the lower 48 and spent at least a week in each one. I didn't do a lot of hiking in RMNP. I did go on a few short hikes but nothing really major. If I remember correctly most of the great hikes there start at about 10000 feet which is about where I end. The lowest part of the park is at 7500. This means that a lot of trails are covered in snow most of the year.

I was there in September, which is the best time to be there because of the Elks being in the rut. I spent most of my time hanging out in the meadows watching the Elk. And the place is full of birds so I didn't have to do much hiking to find them. Stunningly beautiful park, as is most all of Colorado. I wish I were there right now ;D

We are in the Watchman CG right now as we speak.  We did the Riverside walk yesterday.  It was a beautiful easy walk.  We did not do the Narrows as we weren't prepared and didn't have the time.  Plus I don't know if it's open but it may be as the river is very low.  But I'm glad to see you put these parks on your list.  This is our first time here and we only have a couple of days.  We drove to Bryce today and did all the scenic overlooks by car.  Pretty phenomenal.  FWIW, we drove past the Bryce/Zion CG you referenced today and we said to ourselves, wow that looks like a really nice place to stay.  But of course, that's just looking in, but it looked really nice.  Ruby's that Tom mentioned is very, very nice, but it's on the south end of Zion.  I understand your reasoning on choosing the Bryce/Zion CG and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there as far as I could see.  You have a great trip planned.  So much to see.  You'll have to keep us posted on you trip. pictures included!

Happy trails,

Steve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom