I'm hanging up the keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeilerBird

Well I let the cat out of the bag a bit early so I might as well tell you all the whole story. I was planning on posting this on the 31st of May since that would be my 10th anniversary for going full time, but it will be easier to explain it all right now.

On May 31st I am going to hang up my keys and retire from being a full timer and return to civilian life. I began my full timing adventure on May 31, 2003 when I left Reno in an Isuzu with a tent and a sleeping bag, never to return. I had initially planned a 6 month tour of 26 western National Parks, one week at each park. By the time I had been on the road for exactly two days I had decided that I was going full time. It takes guts to go full timing in a tent. Or massive stupidity. You make your own call there. I remember lying in my tent at Great Basin National Park around midnight thinking "Why would I ever want to go back to living in an apartment again?"

Well I am not going back to living in an apartment, I am going to be buying a mobile home. The reasons for this move is very complex and to avoid explaining it many times I am going to attempt to explain it here as completely as possible. This is going to be long winded so you might just want to skim the story.

You see I met this beautiful rich woman who thinks I am the world's greatest lover and she wants me to be a kept man in her mansion. Not. The real story is a lot more boring than that. Last summer I was staying in Crescent City California and I decided that it was time for me to visit the number one spot on my Bucket List and spend two weeks at Disney World. Of course when I made the decision I was as about as far away from Disney World as I could be without speaking Canadian. Eh? So in September I started my slow cross country journey (55 all the way coast to coast).

All went well until I got to Phoenix in December. My brakes were pulsing and it had become much worse. I decided it would be foolish to drive across country on bad brakes so I spent $800 and got my front brakes done. In January I once again resumed my journey. I got to Florida without further incident. I spent two fantastic weeks at Disney World walking about 10 miles a day. It took me two months after I left DW before my feet and my hips returned to feeling normal.

I left DW and headed for Denver (and if you have to ask why Denver then you don't know me very well) but I only got 30 miles and the transmission started acting up and the check engine light came on. So I called CoachNet and got towed to an RV repair place in Kissimmee. They could not solve the problem. I posted a thread here and no one here could come up with the answer to my problem. I have had several other mechanics take a shot and no one could solve it. Meanwhile with thehelp of Catblaster I got my RV parked in a great RV park. I love this place, it is like living in a bird sanctuary. It is not everyone's cup of tea but it sure makes me happy.

So a few months ago I was trying to decide if I should keep this RV and fix it up or sell it and buy another one. The problem is that this RV really needs back brakes, front springs, shocks, tires and a tune up. You see the home part of the motorhome is in fine shape. Everything works. The motor part of the motorhome needs $5k in repairs at least. I only paid $6.5k for the RV so it is hard to invest another $5k into it. The alternative would be to buy another RV, but that would take at least $10k and actually $20k would be a lot better. Since I hate credit and don't have a large savings account I would have to sit here and do nothing for a least a year or two to get that much money saved up. Just fixing up this RV would require a six month sit.

Then it finally dawned on me. I am not a religious man at all however on this 10 year trip at several key junctions I have received a sign from God. Each time I followed the sign God was right. I realized that getting stuck here in this wonderful place was a sign from God that it was time for me to hang up the keys. And it is not a good idea to argue with God.

I have always had it in the back of my mind that some day I would get stuck some place. After all if you get a 20 to 30 year old RV and travel all over the country like a drunken pinball then eventually your luck will run out. What really convinced me that this would be the place to settle down was the neighbor across the street from me. I met Larry one fine day and spent some time chatting with him. He told me he just bought the mobile home he is living in. I asked him how much he paid and he said "$5,000". I almost had a heart attack. This is an old mobile home, to be sure, but a very nice looking place that is in good shape. The lot is large for a mobile home park, there is a giant oak tree and a storage shed on his property and it is located on a canal with a dock in the back yard. $5000!!!! He only owns the mobile home, not the lot, but the lot rent is only $250 per month. This is a small mobile home but it feels like the Taj Mahal after living in tents, vans and RVs for ten years. You can see his mobile home and the canal in the photos below.

So I started shopping Craigslist for mobile homes in Florida and I was blown away. It seems all of Florida is covered with mobile homes. There are hundreds of them for sale all over the state. I have seen them as low as $1500 completely furnished. I can afford one of them. So I decided to buy me a nice car and a mobile home. The two of them together will probably cost less that the price of fixing this RV up.

I have to buy a car first. I realized I can't drive around Florida looking at mobile homes on my 50cc scooter. As everyone knows buying real estate is location location location. That means I must do extensive shopping to find a location where I get 4 bars of 4G service on my smart phone. The house can be a dump but I must have a good Internet connection. I looked at ads on Craigslist endlessly and I have decided the panhandle is out of the question. Very few mobile homes in that end of the state and it freezes up there. I decided that the south end of the state is too crowded or two swampy. Both the left coast and the right coast have pricey lot rent. It turns out the Orlando/Lakeland area will be just perfect for me. Lot rent here runs between $200 and $400 a month. There are a zillion lakes in central Florida so it won't be too hard to find a place with a lake close by.

There are a lot of factors that led me to stay here in Florida besides my RV breaking down and God speaking to me. Number one would be Florida. There are a lot of exciting things to see and do here that appeal to me. There are three National Parks here including number four in my top ten, the Everglades. There are many great National Wildlife Refuges here including one of my all time favorites, Ding Darling (Google it). There is Canaveral National Seashore, the Florida Keys, Kennedy Space Center, Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World, Busch Gardens and a bunch of my friends. And there are four cruise ports here in Florida. Going on cruises are also on my bucket list. I love scuba diving in the Caribbean and this will be an excellent way to do that. And birds. There are gazillions of birds here.

Friends is another great reason for moving here. There are a lot of forum members living here and some of them have turned out to be great friends, Will, Glen, Karen and Roni and a few more that I haven't met. It is slightly weird to move someplace and already know people but such is the power of the Internet.

Then there is the whole east coast thing. I was born and raised in the mid west. Moved to California at age 11 and lived there for 40 years. I have been full timing for 10 years. The only section of the country I haven't lived is in the east. Living here will make it much easier for me to explore the east coast. Believe it or not I have never seen the fall colors change in New England. It was in my plans for several different years but something always came up. I have only spent a few days in New York City and I excited about spending a few weeks there. Same thing with Washington DC. I am anxious to drive all 469 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway. My east coast bucket list is long and exciting.

But how am I going to explore all these places without an RV? I have come up with a wildly bizarre plan. I am going to stay in motels! Imagine Tom in motels? Alert the media. Of course I won't be able to take the cats so I will find a pet sitting service that will come in and feed my cats and change the litter box daily. They charge around $15 a day for this service.

So my basic plan will be to have one vacation per month. I will pick an exciting destination and spend a week there. That gives me three weeks at home and one week one the road each month. I have already drawn up a Google map and put a dozen pins in it with the places in Florida that appeal to me the most.

There are a few other miscellaneous reasons for my decision that I will reveal in the interest of full disclosure. I was in a band in Reno called Sierra Express and I had to quit the band to go on the road. I really miss being in a band and it is impossible to be in a band when I change locations many times per year. As soon as I get settled in I will be advertising in Craigslist for other musicians to form a band. I have already started putting together a song book for us. Not that I care if I make money at it, I just want to play and have an audience too if possible.

Another reason is that it is tough to find a girl who will go out with a guy who is leaving town next week. I don't necessarily need another girlfriend but it would be wonderful to have some female companionship occasionally. Tonight I am going to see a Paul McCartney concert in Orlando. It is tough to go to concerts when on the road. If I get to a city and there is a concert I want to see it is generally already sold out and tickets are pricey. I can't imagine what tickets for tonights show are being scalped at.

The bottom line is I am not signing a lifetime contract here. If after some time passes I should get tired of living in Florida or if I really miss living in an RV I can always change directions (one of the perks of being single). I have the option of buying another motorhome and either A - selling the house and car and hitting the road full time. Or B - keeping the house and car and spending winters in Florida and summers on the road or C - occasionally going camping. And in Florida there certainly are a lot of campgrounds.

I will still be hanging around this forum. I will be posting my photos every month as always. I will be posting my exact location so if anyone is traveling though Florida and wish to stop by and say hi I would be honored. It is always a pleasure to meet forum members.

Attachments

• Neighbor-1.jpg
    Neighbor-1.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Neighbor-2.jpg
    Neighbor-2.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 272
  • Neighbor-3.jpg
    Neighbor-3.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 255
Sounds like you've got a good plan. Maybe instead of a car, you could buy a VW Vanagon. That way you could still go on "vacation" once a month in the camper ? Enjoy Florida. I do miss the birds there.

Wendy

Sounds like a great plan...I did just the opposite...I had a nice small mobile home in an over 55 park in St Petersburg and lived there about 10 years, on a salt water canal with my boat out back...fished and took photos and spent my summers in Alaska and winters in Florida....who could ask for more?

Well after 10 years and with Alaska as my back-up. I took the leap and got rid of damn near everything and bought the 5th wheel sight unseen while in Alaska, it was in Tacoma....returned to Florida did the final liquidation and traded my SUV even up for a nice four wheel drive F-150 to tow my little 5th wheel and drove cross country to Tacoma and have not looked back.

Have plans to return to Florida at some point in time....HINT - watch your lot rent on your mobile home. Mine started out at $225.00 per month and my last month there it was $625.00! They do go up.

There are so many places in Florida to shoot bird pics it is astounding....don't forget some of the city and county parks. Some of them are even better than the National Parks.

Good Luck in your new adventure, I still have another 5-8 years of exploring to do in the RV, but just may end up as your neighbor in another mobile home at some point in time.....

Enjoy,

Jim

Can't argue with your logic, and only YOU can decide what's the best plan for your life! We will get to Florida one of these months; I have lots of family there that I haven't seen for sometime, and actually thinking about wintering in mid-Florida in 2014.  Best wishes, Tom.

Linda

Tom, that's both exciting news and a disappointment. Exciting, for all the reasons you stated (and probably more). Disappointing, because we've all followed your RVing rollercoaster ride over the last few years; What will we find to read about going forward?

Glad to hear you plan to stick around, and that you'll continue posting photos.

One thought - if you get a large enough lot, maybe there's an opportunity for a new RV Forum rally venue  ???

Good luck with the plan. You have a number of fans here who will be following you future writings and your photos.

Wendy said:
Maybe instead of a car, you could buy a VW Vanagon. That way you could still go on "vacation" once a month in the camper ?
I have given the class B many thoughts and decided against it. I really want to do a complete 360 and start motelling it. I have owned 5 class Bs in my life and while they were enjoyable it is not what I want to do right now. The cool thing is that I can own a car and a class B if I should ever decide in the future that I want to do some light camping. Right now there is a great class B for sale locally for only $1600 that would fit the bill perfectly. My auto budget is around $2000 so it is very tempting. I have to give these guys credit, it is one of the funniest ads I have seen on Craigslist:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3797891030.html

Whew!  What a change.  Your new vision certainly seems clear, viable  and will provide you with even more options than you have already gleaned from Full timing.  I was hoping that a " female" was already part of your reason to  change plans.  I knew you had a sweetheart in Florida once upon a time.

Thank you for letting us  know the details of your thinking.  Isn't it amazing this internet connection.  We have so many people with whom we have things in common  and many who would never ever venture into what we do. 

Such a good life with so many options!  Good luck and I'm happy you will still be posting  photos here!

There is one thing I have found very interesting. I have met a whole lot of native Floridians here (the definition of a native Floridian is one who has lived in Florida at least a year) and they all have the same comment when I mention I am moving here. They say "Wait till summer, it gets HOT here." Well my response is always the same. I tell them that I am moving here from Las Vegas (true, my domicile is LV) and that it doesn't get hot in Florida, only medium. Then they try and tell me about the humidity. I used to live near Chicago, don't tell me about humidity. Then they tell me about the bugs and I tell them birds eat bugs and I am a bird photographer, I welcome the bugs. Then they tell me about the hurricanes and I start packing... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh, Tom, when I saw the subject line I got worried that we'd never see or hear from you again.  I'm so happy that you'll still be hanging around here on the RV Forum.  With the way we all flit around you never know when or where our paths might cross.  Your concept is just as valid as anyone else's so I'm glad you're going for it.  As Betty said, thank you for the lengthy explanation, which those of us who know you totally understand and, best of all, we're not left with the unanswered question of "Why?"  Good luck with your new lifestyle!

ArdraF

>>Then they tell me about the hurricanes and I start packing.<<

That's where a Class B would be handy. Put the cats in and leave for a while.

Good luck on your new adventure.

ken

I't won't be official until he eats some swamp lizard and a bowl of grits..... ;D call it a hazing if  you must but get ready Tom we're coming with the duct tape ;) ;)

catblaster said:
I't won't be official until he eats some swamp lizard and a bowl of grits..... ;D call it a hazing if  you must but get ready Tom we're coming with the duct tape ;) ;)
I thought I also had to eat a gator tail and start wearing a Gators sweatshirt in the dead of summer to become official?

Tom, I have never met you but from reading your posts I am pretty sure you have to by that Starcraft. That is one of the best ads ever!

P.S. Lots of cool places in FL, I would add the Homassassa River to your list, then meander north from there stopping along the way, with camera of course.

Goog Luck!!

SeilerBird said:
I thought I also had to eat a gator tail and start wearing a Gators sweatshirt in the dead of summer to become official?

You gotta eat swamp cabbage to be real.  This is from a REAL native...all 62 years....born & raised in Lakeland and now in Winter Haven/Lake Wales.  Not many of us. 

Sounds like a well thought out plan.  Good luck with it.

I so admire a man with a clear vision of what he wants to do and be. No fooling around here - Seilerbird has his destiny well in hand!

And since we've lived in Florida since 1977 for many of the same reasons as stated here, obviously I'm not about to attempt to dissuade Seilerbird either.

Tom, we have yet to get rid of the coach, we did buy a place here in St Petes for most of the reasons you list.  We never did get to full time, but we have had years when we were on the road for 9 or 10 months.  We wintered in AZ in 2010 and explored the west heavily last year, and Florida just has so much more to offer our tastes and way of life.  We were intent on heading west again next spring, but now I'm not so sure.
    If you do get up to Nova Scotia to see real fall colours, you don't need a motel, we have room.

Ed

Hi Tom and all,

Please continue posting here on the forum as you have a lot of good experience that many people, including myself need!! Your original advise to me is now where I am focused on as far as trying to find the perfect RV for my wife and I.

Your one of the people I tend to read when I am on here and your certainly an interesting person with unique perspective on RV'n. We both share (and there are many more people on here) photography as a passion.

Do check in regardless of what you decide to do. All my best and best to you!!

That was one we didn't see coming! Glad to hear you'll be hanging in Florida. Hope to meet up with you again the next time we're in in the state.
Have fun house shopping and have fun in your travels!

-Trevor & Roni

Whoah!  ;D

I am so excited for you! Surprised of course but you are simply changing adventures so it is all good.

About 8 years ago I spent a couple of weeks on horseback in the Everglades with the descendents of the original Cow Hunters to complete a historical painting series. It was fascinating and wonderful. Seems to me Florida has a LOT to offer in wildlife, history and nature. I can see lots of posts from you on your adventures there.

Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom