I'm hanging up the keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PancakeBill said:
In my Sr year of HS my folks took us from RI to FL.  One of my quests was to try grits.  I loved them.  Still do.  Leftovers, put in pan, let them firm up in fridge and then fry them.

Butter makes them better.

Bill that is nothing more than Scrapple sans the other ingredients. Maple Syrup makes them even better.

Lou

You should appreciate that I will pass and leave more for you. :D

Bunch of us northern boys went down to Mobile after hurricane Fredrick went through back in 79/80. I didn't have much money back then, and we ate out every meal. We ate out on Dolphin Island Parkway most of the time. Got grits with every breakfast, which NOBODY ate. I said to self, hey they almost look like cream of wheat cereal.  Next day I get a bowl and a large glass of milk, the guys all looked at me like I was nuts. 4 or 5 guys scraped their grits in my bowl, added little milk, butter, sugar,  and had my cream of wheat cereal for many days to come. Nobody ever even tried the grits, when we travel south I still eat my grits this way.

In the south we eat grits with butter and salt, occasionally pepper to taste.  Using sugar or honey on grits tells everyone that you are a "Yankee."  My father was Greek and he loved grits, he turned me on to them as a child.

The only way to really enjoy grits, other than with butter (lots of butter), salt and pepper, is to mix them on your plate with the runny yolks of at least 2 sunny side up fried eggs! 

You can either throw the whites away or give them to your disapproving friends....... :D

Grits are great if you want to remove popcorn ceilings in your house.

Just trowel the grits on the ceiling. The water in the grits will soak into the coating for about 5 minutes. The weight of the grits will make it fall right off. Just do about 3 sq ft at a time......

Best use I've ever seen for grits..........  ;D

S    Tom, I know the Scottish tradional breakfast of finn & haddie is also an old time NS tradition too, but I don't know if the Welsh eat it too?  But it is smoked haddock, which is poached or fried, and is very delicious. 

Ed

If you all want to know the truth my idea of a great breakfast is a diet Pepsi and package of Hostess Cup Cakes.

8)I am beginning to wonder if I am going to have to attend a NASCAR race in order to officially become a southerner 8)

SeilerBird said:
I am beginning to wonder if I am going to have to attend a NASCAR race in order to officially become a southerner
Yep!!!!!! and carry a side-arm.... ;)

Tom, the granddaddy of them all is only a few miles from you.  The Daytona 500 is the first major NASCAR event of the year, and has been run continuously for more than 25 years.

Ed

In the South we have another use for grits.  If you are plagued with fire ant nests, sprinkle some raw, uncooked grits on the nest.  The ants will carry the grits below, the other ants will eat them, and they'll be killed when the grits swell due to moisture in the ants GI tract.

it's OK Tom, I packin heat anyway and I have an Earnhart cap and a Talladega t-shirt for you. gotta try putting grits on an ant bed but I hate to waste the grits

Tom, Lynard Skynard?  Thought you were a Bette Midler fan.  nope, not her, Celine?  Anyway, you will never be considered a southerner.  Heck, I won't be and I love all that stuff, cept NASCAR. 

Asked a southern friend if my granddaughter, born in South Carolina was a southerner, and he told me that just cuz a cat has kittens in an oven, it don't make them muffins. 

Kind of like Maine, you could move there when 2 and never be considered a Mainer.  Your Grt Granddaddy would have had to have moved there then and nobody ever left.  THEN you can be a Mainer.  Same thing in the south.

Just enjoy the weather, the great food, (open you r mind and try it all), and maybe you will be tolerated.

Tom - diet Pepsi ? Shame on you. Mike's favorite breakfast is a brown sugar Pop Tart and a diet Coke.

I'm a southerner ... born and raised in Southern California, love Leonard Skynard (had their greatest CD for a lo g time) and the Zac Brown Band, hate grits, love NASCAR, proudly served my country in the U.S. Army, don't carry concealed or otherwise.

Wendy
West Yellowstone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom