I'm hanging up the keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every once in a while I would go into a convenience store and buy a diet Pepsi and a Hostess cupcake and the cashier would laugh at me because they seemed to be contradictory.  I would explain that I was on a diet and it was a dietetic meal since it had less calories than a Hostess cupcake and a real Pepsi.

I'm not finding fault with the combination, just saying it should have been a diet COKE.

Luca1369 said:
In the south we eat grits with butter and salt, occasionally pepper to taste.  Using sugar or honey on grits tells everyone that you are a "Yankee."  My father was Greek and he loved grits, he turned me on to them as a child.
That's OK, I not ashamed to be a YANKEE. After that day the waitress automatically brought my bowl and glass of milk.

PancakeBill said:
Diet?  Dang, like lite beer.  Straight up Mountain Dew!

This thread has gone somewhere in
a handbasket!
If I had been drinking non-diet soft drinks all my life by now I would look like Fat Bastard from Austin Powers. :(

Then definitely too much soda.  Never knowingly had a diet drink, begrudgingly had a few lite beers, but moderation in all things, even moderation.  Oh, and good genes.

Bill, I also love grits; but then I grew up with them.  I'm from the South and they are a staple there.  Mine were also homemade.  Of course I also love spinach, beets and turnip greens.

Marsha~

I grew up in South Africa with something very similar to grits, except that it is much stiffer in consistancy. It is real indigenous food there. In the region I grew up in, it is called Putu and eaten in many different ways. For breakfast with sugar, golden syrup or honey and topped with some milk. As a side dish with barbecue you will top it with a type of chunky tomato sauce or any type of nice sauce. With a nice stew this tastes just delicious.

Granted, one certainly has to grow up with this. My American husband has not acquired the taste for it. So I am on my own there!!

Marie,

I had to look it up. From the Urban Dictionary:

Putu - a type of maize meal, mainly eaten by the indiginous people of Africa. Can be eaten with sweet or savoury foods.

The Urban Dictionary has it nailed Tom. In South Africa it is called maize instead of corn meal. One and the same thing, except that yellow corn meal is not much consumed there, white corn meal is the preferred choice.

As a teenager we experienced a serious drought, followed by some devastating floods, which destroyed the maize (corn) crops, with the result of having to import it from the USA which was all yellow corn. Believe me, it did not please the general population.

When eating grits, never, I repeat never purchase instant grits...get real grits that require some amount of cooking effort.

Being from the south, I love grits. We eat them with butter, salt, & pepper. Grits go great with fried fish. But, please, no cheese grits. I can't stand cheese grits!!

Dance Chick said:
Being from the south, I love grits. We eat them with butter, salt, & pepper. Grits go great with fried fish.

Grits are real popular in The Bahamas.  One favorite eating fish there is the grunt and the meal is "grunts and grits."  Another popular dish is "boiled fish," sort of a fish stew served with grits and a piece of Johnny Cake. Some places serve this every day while some only serve it on Sundays.

Tom's one step closer...he got an airboat ride thru part of the marsh yesterday and survived the ordeal really well...Gators must have known he was coming cause they were all hiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom