Waxing the boat again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've reported numerous times that, when I hand wax the boat using a heavy carnuba paste wax, it consistently takes me 21 days. Also, when I hire "pros", it takes 3 guys 3 long days. Watching how hard and long these guys work, I figure that their 9 man-days are equivalent to 18 of my days. So my 21 days total isn't far off. Doing it all by hand, I risk tendonitis aka tennis elbow, and it takes months to recover from this painful condition.

This time around, I'm trying an alternative that will take significantly less time, with far less risk of joint injury. Over the years, I've noticed a number of local boat detailers using a carnuba liquid wax. More correctly, it's a heavy cream. The product is manufactured by Production Car Care in Stockton, CA, and  is the same stuff used by many classic car enthusiasts and detailers.

A couple of weeks ago we stopped by the factory to pick a gallon of their Carnuba Plus and a 16 oz dispenser bottle. The guy at the walk-in counter showed me the mountain of cases they ship daily.

On the way home we stopped at harbor Freight and bought a 7" polisher to replace my 9 10" orbital buffer.

The small amount I've done so far confirms this will take considerably less time than a hand wax with carnuba paste. OTOH I'm under no illusions; This treatment won't last anywhere near the (length of) time that carnuba paste lasts.

Best of luck with that Tom. I just had my boat out 2 weeks ago for a bottom scrub, sand and paint and a buff and wax of the hull from the caprail down.

Now, if you really want to know the quality of your friends, tell them you're looking for free help working on the bottom of your 40 foot power boat. I had 4 guys the first day and 5 the second. Out on Wed morn and in on Thurs night. I did not touch a sander or wax rag on either day. I spent my time explaining what needed done, sweeping dust/flakes and replacing the swim step bolts among other little jobs. I'll put my friends up against anyone elses any day of the week.

Let us know how the wax works out. I'm always looking for something that lasts a little bit longer. Especially something to keep the darned moustache off.

Ken

I'll let you know how it works out Ken. This time I'm recording actual hours.

I've often thought of picking up a few 'friends' at Home Depot early in the morning, but figured I'd need to do some training.

Tom, here is a surefire way to cut your time in half.... get a new boat half the size. ;) ;D

Can't believe I typed this.

Hope it works out with your plan.

Carson, I doubt the Captain would go for a smaller boat. She was well on the way to buying a bigger boat. After 3 days at the Miami boat show, a day sea trialing a boat at Pompano Beach, and a day at a boat factory near the Cape, we spent a day with several Framily members at TGO. Chris had such a good time with the folks at TGO that she decided we'd buy another coach instead of another boat. That day saved me $2M!

Tom, 

Are you a Sailor or a stink boat Capt'n?

I am a Trailer Sailor we have a 27' American Mariner we haul around in the summer.  It's at home in Iowa and we are in SC currently.  Our home sailing ground is Lake Pepin (Part of the Mississippi),  we are leaving to go home on the 30th. 

Can't wait ot get back on the water again.

Regards,

Tom...

Tom, we're stinkpotters. Sea Ray 51' LOA, with a pair of big CATs, moored behind the house on the CA Delta.

That sounds like a boat that you could do the great loop cruise in. 

I once dreamed about doing it in our SV that is until I put her in at Dubuque and headed down stream during high water and promptly hit a wing dam a glancing blow with the keel.  That was enough for the Admiral to call a halt to those dreams.  It scared her half to death.  We only draw 28".

We are planning on taking her to Lake Mich or Lake Superior ddpending on where the Admiral gets a Travel Nurse Job for the Summer.

Have a good one.  Here she is: 

http://s90.photobucket.com/user/slvrgost/media/DSC02383.jpg.html"

Tom...

Nice one Tom. Unfortunately, I can't get my other half (the Captain) on board a sailboat  :(

I understand.  My wife had never been on one till we got ours and we went sailing the first time with friends for the first time the same day we put ours in the water.  He was going to be our teacher and we went out in his Hunter 26 water ballast and in as little as 8 knots, his really heels over if he keeps the pressure on the main sail and jib.

It never phased my wife one bit.  All of her family is terrified of the thing and ours has a fixed heavy ballast and does not heel much at all even in a nice windy afternoon.

Oh' well to each his own, most of her family are ice fishermen.  Now, that I really don't understand unless it is just an excuse to drink beer and get away from the Mrs.

HaHa!!!

Back
Top Bottom