2013 Palo Duro Jeep Jamboree - never again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
Day one of the Palo Duro Jamboree has to be one of the worst trail experiences I have ever had anywhere since we have been wheeling Rubi.

We signed up with the Green group because a guy we have wheeled with off and on before over the last couple of years always goes in that group and apparently there was a good core group of the same guys there every year and a really good trail leader (Lawrence), so my expectation was a good group of wheelers (probably five or ten too many rigs, but that's the usual Jamboree schema.)

The first mild shock was seeing at final count 20 Jeeps lined up in Green. The second shock (and it was a biggie) was looking at a 4-door Sahara with STREET TIRES in the group  :mad:  :eek:  ::) .Oh my gosh. There are zillions of very acute breakovers on the trails and a stock 4-door will be a beached whale at every crest, I have watched stock and mostly stock 4-doors struggle at Palo Duro now for three years in a row.

So this begs the question of why this 4-door mall-crawler was in our group? It was because "he didn't want to be bored.." Well excuse me amigo, you should have been in the bunny group. My buddy Allen wound up strapping Mr. Thrill-Seeker maybe a dozen times that day.

And then there was a red 4-door Rubicon (aka "Big Red") in front of me for most of day one with thankfully off-road tires but he did the beached whale trick maybe four or five times. My friend Kevin had to strap him every time and Kevin told me that the driver didn't even bother to get out of the air conditioning to help - maybe he thought Kevin was a trail guide or a JJ employee. What a jerk.

But wait, there's more...

Enter Mr. Vapor Lock, a CJ7 with a new carb. Beginning about late morning when it was getting hot in the canyon, we would have to wait on Mr. Vapor Lock for maybe five-ten minutes at a time, repeat this about every half-hour until later in the afternoon when he took his hood off and his friend strapped it to his roof rack. Thankfully, that cured the problem. Suggestion Mr. Vapor Lock, test your stuff at home and not on the trail.

And then some bad news ..

There was a really nice guy (friend of Allen's) in a beautiful CJ5 that dropped a tire in a hole and rolled 180* and was upside down. Thankfully the driver and his wife were okay but had a few bruises. Allen pulled him upright, lost fluids were added (oil, coolant, brake fluid) and they finished the trail. This happened late afternoon.

The good news..

The trail ride from hell was over. We didn't make the steep climb out to the canyon rim until about 6 PM (when dinner is served) and we had to make the two or three mile run back to the coach to walk/feed the dog and feed the cat and then drive back to the canyon rim for dinner. At this point we are seriously considering not showing up for day two. We are tired, hot, and quite angry at how the day unfolded.

Day two...

Against all logic, we show up for day two. With great glee and delight we immediately notice Mr. Thrill-Seeker didn't line up with us for day two (maybe he took his wife shopping), and then as a further bonus Big Red was MIA.

And maybe as a "we love you, don't go away..." we won a $100 gift certificate to Rebel Off Road (I have some stuff picked out.) Amazingly we have been winners here for three out of three years completely contrary to our usual luck.

In conclusion...

We're done with the Palo Duro Jeep Jamboree. When a stock 4-door (open diffs and street tires) is assigned to an otherwise good group of rigs that won't get hung up on every obstacle, that tells me that JJ and/or the local guys are not in touch with reality and not considering the other capable wheelers in the group. We are looking at running the Palo Duro Challenge (held in the fall) - better obstacles at a fraction of the cost - not a JJ event.

Obviously not everything is under the direct control of JJ, but what Jeeps go on what trail absolutely is under their direct or indirect control. They failed miserably this time, day one was a complete waste of our time and money.

----------------
The two pictures were about the only fun moments of day one - we're running a very short optional wash

Attachments

• GettinAir.jpg
    GettinAir.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 4Down.jpg
    4Down.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 96
So, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play? :D

Sorry John,

Our RVForum rally in Moab was a bundle of laughs, ya shoulda stayed! ;)

Betty

We had such a wonderful time in Moab Betty!  The two cocktail hours we could attend were great fun with the RVforum gang, I enjoyed putting some faces with forum names.

We'll be home tomorrow and then taking off in about a month for Colorado, Montrose area wheeling the San Juans and then a week in Leadville for the All-4-Fun rally.  Not sure what we're going to do after the A4F.

WOW, at least you didn't break anything this time out?

Reminds me of the guy we dragged around all day in the RENTED JK in Colorado a fews years ago!

All he ever did was laugh about it. But I am sure he got a good bill for damage!

Terry - LOL, no damage/breakage this time  :).  The suspension worked amazingly well, I was very, very pleased at how we easily crawled over just about everything.

What lift are you runnig?  Nice looking rig.  I drive a 2007 Sahara 4 door with a 2.5 inch lift an I know my limitations and wheel acordingly.  She is alos my DD so I can't go to wild.

Thanks Ken!

Rubi has a 4" Superlift, well actually the only parts left of the Superlift are the coil springs, all of the control arms are either Currie or Rokmen with JohnnyJoints (fully articulating joints on the control arms and not bushings) and a 1" body and motor mount lift.  35" tires with Trailready beadlock wheels.  And we have a tummy tuck which moves up the entire drivetrain for more clearance (that's why we have the body and motor mount lift.)

We're good on most trails up to the extreme and crazy buggy stuff.  I have recently discovered that since my rear axle is in its original factory position and not moved aft, my departure angle will not let me do some extreme climbs - I'll drag my rear bumper before I ever get the front tires up in a go position to make the climb.  That's okay, we having a bunch of fun wheeling  :).

Gosh John, I remember my first lift from 2001. Just a 4" kit, but that is all gone now.

I was just talking to a friend the other day and he wants to put a lift on his 04 TJ. I told him don't buy a kit we will just build it. He was kind of surprised, but then I explained it to him.

We can build the control arms out of DOM ( I have some left over from my builds) and get springs from Old Man Emu or he can get mine (King coil overs now for me) order the Johnny Joints from currie, some good shocks and good to go.

I think he will do it. It might cost a little more thansome of the "cheap" lifts but will be way better.

Question for you John, did you push the front axle out any since the rear is not?

Terry - agree with you, I would not do a "packaged" lift but source the individual parts, but now I know a bunch more than I did three years ago  :).  Some of the kits have good components and some are essentially junk.

My axles are in their original positions, if I ever did a stretch, I would push the rear axle back four or five inches.  At the Moab FMCA 4-Wheelers Larry of Poison Spider was showing off his stretched LJ - beautiful rig!

I would agree on pushing the rear back first. My wife's TJ has the rear back about 3-4 inches. I don't like the look of the comp cut so that is about the far back as you can go without cutting out the rear corners. The front is out about 2 1/2 inches.

It has the 1" body lift and motor lift for the tuck too. I did the high line kit on it and I love the room you get for tires. She has 37" with just the body lift to make them clear.

I will post a few pictures of it over the weekend if I get time. I would like you to see how we did the lower rear control arms.

Good day to ya John!

And maybe, just maybe my LJ will be done for All 4 Fun?

Nice set ups.  I did a package lift (Teraflex) with Bilstein shocks but it works for what I do. 

John, all in all that was bad but could have been worse and lord knows I have on worse too many times...usually alcohol was involved.  Got hooked up with a group down in AZ and it took 7 hrs to do less than a 1/4 trail, I was stuck in the middle of the crowd and the ONLY one that did not down over a case of beer.  One guy passed out on the run and his buddy had to drive the Jeep.

Speaking of which you pic and rig looks familiar to me.  I have not wheeled much in Co, but the rest of the SW I have been all over, 13 trips to Moab.  I owned a shop (SavageSun 4x4), blogged, posted and did lots of builds and ran a lot of trail rides in Moab over the years, maybe we have crossed paths out there I welcome anyone with any rig built or not to come along, I can spot somebody thru almost anything.

Don - you might have seen us in Moab.  At last year's Chili Challenge (Las Cruces, NM) the youngster that was our trail leader for a day told us at the driver's meeting that "he didn't care if anybody drank on the trail.." - and he didn't mean water.  When we heard that our collective mouths dropped about three inches and couldn't believe what we were hearing.  What an idiot.

We're doing St. George, UT this fall with the FMCA 4-wheelers and we're already signed up for Moab next May with the 4-wheelers  :).

John Canfield said:
Don - you might have seen us in Moab.  At last year's Chili Challenge (Las Cruces, NM) the youngster that was our trail leader for a day told us at the driver's meeting that "he didn't care if anybody drank on the trail.." - and he didn't mean water.  When we heard that our collective mouths dropped about three inches and couldn't believe what we were hearing.  What an idiot.

We're doing St. George, UT this fall with the FMCA 4-wheelers and we're already signed up for Moab next May with the 4-wheelers  :).
Not this past one John, but who knows, been wheeling-Jeeping since '67.  Did sell all my Jeeps and will pick up another one when I get enough done here on the ranch and ranch house that i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We are re-modeling the ranch house from the studs out and are about 2 years into it now, suspect I got another 3 years to go.  Tween that my outside work, John Deere and my F 350 there is no shortage of 4x4 but none are a jeep right now.  I even sold my LJ Rubicon, like those LJ's, my 55 Willys Wagon w/ chevy 350/350.  And, my '03 Rubi, Dynatrac ProRock HiPinion D 60's f/r, supercharged and more mods that lI could possibly list..not sure what I will do next?  Maybe and older build or just go box stock with a new Rubi???  But I will be back on the trail sooner or later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom