Fix it or deduct it from price???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brucelon

Hi All -

I'm about to sell my little RV and upgrade to a much bigger one - yeah!  I'm torn about whether or not I should replace the awning before trying to sell it.  The trade value is ridiculously low, so I prefer to sell it.

So, should I replace the awning - I'm certain it's beyond repair - or should I just discount the price to the prospective buyer and let him/her fix it???

I'd love to know what the consensus is amongst you folks who are REALLY into the whole RV scene.

Many thanks,

Bruce

The Moral of the Story - never leave your awning up when you go to work - especially in New Mexico!

I doubt you will recoup the cost of repair when you sell.  Disclose all, sell as is.  Buyer may not even ask you to discount the price.

Incidentally....I'm VERY familiar with NM wind.  We're putting off our trip to Timberon one more day....supposed to be quite windy on Monday, and I don't like to tow in heavy crosswinds. 

Thanks Frizlefrak - I'm inclined to do as you suggest. Besides, it's less work for me to do.

I've never been to Timberon - hadn't heard of it - but it looks very nice when Googled!

Thanks, B

Don't spend a dime on it and sell "as is". You have no idea what is important to a prospective buyer - you might fix things he doesn't care about or can do less expensively him/herself.  You can always negotiate a discount (if the buyer asks), or include the repair work as part of the sale agreement.

I hate awnings. One of the selling points of the RV I currently own is the fact it did not have an awning on it. If I were you I would not replace it.

Good post above on "you have no idea what is important to someone" seilerbird hates awnings and I love them. I agree, disclose everything and negotiate from there. The guy that bought my Winnie didn't car that the awning was shot

You have heard of "curb appeal".  Something to think about.  I prefer an awning and would look for one available if looking for something newer.  But, they are not a cheap item.  Deducting the cost of a replacement awning is certainly an option.  I understand your situation.  Perhaps something from the northern Indiana/southern Michigan RV surplus outlets is available.  Or a RV salvage yard in your area to replace the awning before selling.  Selling "as is" is also an option.  But I would think that the option of an awning is a selling point in your favor if the price is right.

I would do the research first before deciding how to sell it. 

I'm with Mark.  I think you should replace it, fix it, what ever is cheapest for you.  If I were looking at your rig to buy and saw the awning not fixed, I'd wonder what else was not maintained.  "Curb appeal along with "turn key" is a selling point for me.  I'd want to use my new purchase and not have to take the time to fix it.

Marsha~

I'm waiting for the factory to call me w/ an estimate to fix it.  I'm sure it's going to be pretty costly.

I am much more inclined to sell "as-is" because 1) I'm kind of lazy  2) I'm in kind of a hurry to sell it  3) it's entirely possible that I may not recoup the cost of fixing it when I sell it.

Still mulling over my options, I'm thankfully yours,

Bruce

Can't tell from your post how long the awning is.  I assume it is manual instead of electric. I also assume we are talking about the large patio awning rather than one of the window awnings. I can tell you that if it is a manual patio awning and you are replacing everything, you're looking at a range of about $700-1300 for parts alone, depending on size and material.  Labor shouldn't be too much, maybe $300.

Don't ask me how I know.  :(

Brucelon said:
I'm waiting for the factory to call me w/ an estimate to fix it.  I'm sure it's going to be pretty costly.

I am much more inclined to sell "as-is" because 1) I'm kind of lazy  2) I'm in kind of a hurry to sell it  3) it's entirely possible that I may not recoup the cost of fixing it when I sell it.

Still mulling over my options, I'm thankfully yours,

Bruce
You have a paradox here........ If you are in a hurry to sell, replacing the awning may make for a faster sell. Having a torn-up or ugly awning will narrow your market considerably.... Remember "SHINY SELLS". If you want a fast sale, get the rig waxed and looking sharp. It will make little or no difference to the selling price but it may make a big difference in the amount of time that it will be on the market and the # of Looky Lou's" that you will get. Think about what the "Pro's" do......... That's why many people decide to buy from a dealer as apposed to private party....... dealers concentrate on "Shiny" because they know that's what makes sales.

If the rig doesn't look great, you will have to discount the "Asking price" to attract buyers then discount it again when they start picking it apart.

Too bad that you're "Lazy" (your words)...... I just bought a 21', "like new" (1-year-old) awning off craigslist for $300. It took 30 minutes to install and 30 minutes to clean it up (it was put away dirty). That's why he couldn't sell it for the $500 that he was asking........ his laziness cost him $200. He told me, "Lot's of people looked at it but were too lazy to wash it... it's just dirty"..... I offered him $300, he refused but called me back the next day...... he was still too lazy to wash it. That awning is $900 new...... I figure that my washing it paid me $600.....

Attachments

• DSC08426c.jpg
    DSC08426c.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 17
I just heard back from the factory - they would replace the whole thing for $962 + Texas sales tax.  Since they're about 12 hrs away from me, it would mean a long weekend trip + lots of gas.  This price is still a lot less than other repair depts. have given me.

Yes, it's the patio awning, not window awning. And yes, it's manual, not electric.

NEWS FLASH: I also just found out that my insurance will cover this, minus a $500 deductible. And since wind damage is considered an "act-of-nature beyond my control", my rates won't go up.  So, basically, I can fix it for $500 + the gas to haul it to a repair place.
Unfortunately, I live in the boonies, so it'll be a tow to get it anywhere.

Brucelon said:
I just heard back from the factory - they would replace the whole thing for $962 + Texas sales tax.  Since they're about 12 hrs away from me, it would mean a long weekend trip + lots of gas.  This price is still a lot less than other repair depts. have given me.

Yes, it's the patio awning, not window awning. And yes, it's manual, not electric.

NEWS FLASH: I also just found out that my insurance will cover this, minus a $500 deductible. And since wind damage is considered an "act-of-nature beyond my control", my rates won't go up.  So, basically, I can fix it for $500 + the gas to haul it to a repair place.
Unfortunately, I live in the boonies, so it'll be a tow to get it anywhere.
The other option is to just remove the awning. At least it won't be a negative........... you can still make the rig "Shiny" and attractive. If the buyer says, "Hey... there's no awning".... you can say, "If I put on a new awning, will you buy the RV???".... that way, it's a selling point.

Very good point Wayne. I'll look at it carefully tonight and see if it's something I can remove myself. If not I might be able to get it done cheaply and locally at an auto body shop - a big plus!

Thanks,
Bruce

Brucelon said:
Very good point Wayne. I'll look at it carefully tonight and see if it's something I can remove myself. If not I might be able to get it done cheaply and locally at an auto body shop - a big plus!

Thanks,
Bruce

Wow - Great posting. Very helpful.

Yes, this awning is trashed. Actually the fabric made it ok. But the cylinder it rolls up into is cracked and bent badly and one of the supporting posts broke in the middle of an aluminum molded piece which just ain't fixable.

I've included a photo of the bent/cracked cylinder and the broken aluminum piece (which I'm sure could be replaced). 

Now that I've been on the ladder, it looks fairly easy to remove the awning. I'm strongly leaning towards just selling it w/o awning. Since the mounting brackets are still going to be on the trailer, it shouldn't be too hard for someone to buy a new awning kit and put it back on. The factory said they sell the whole assembly for $862 which seems reasonable to me.

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• bentawningframe.jpg
    bentawningframe.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 23
  • crackedawningpost.jpg
    crackedawningpost.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 21
WHOOOOPS!!!!!!

That looks like a Fiamma awning........ That's what I get for assuming...... :-[

That awning should be replaced. It will leave large holes in the trailer. Disregard my previous post....... :p

What kind of RV is this? (I should've asked that 1st thing)

It's a 2006 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe.  The awning brand is Horizon and only measures 10ft. end-to-end.

It's held on by 3 simple brackets with top screws covered w/ a white putty. I've included photos of over / under brackets to illustrate.

I could take it off easily, but of course, I can't leave any ugly holes in the body.

Now I'm thinking to just pay the $862 + shipping for a new awning assembly and install it myself.

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• mountingbracketover.jpg
    mountingbracketover.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 17
  • mountingbracketunder.jpg
    mountingbracketunder.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 15
What make of rv do you have?
Brand, year and model number?
Show us some pictures.
We could help more..

I'd actually sale as is since not seeing it.

Hey Just Don -

Check out my posting right before yours - it gives model/make info.  Also, there are 4 photos already embedded in the line.

Thanks,
Bruce

Back
Top Bottom