oven pilot flame wont stay on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

574rvman

hello I have a magic chef range and the oven pilot will not stay lit?? the top 3 burners work fine any help would be appreciated thank-you

The oven most likely has a thermocouple which is a device that senses when the pilot light it lit and locks open the pilot light gas supply.  This is why when you light a pilot light you have to hold the knob or a button in for several seconds to allow the thermocouple to heat up and hold open the gas supply to the pilot light.  It sounds like either you are not holding the knob in long enough, the pilot light flame is not hitting the thermocouple properly (to heat it up) or the thermocouple is bad.

Molaker has a good solution. I'd just add that some Magic Chef ovens have a separate "pilot" area on the knob. If maybe the original markings are faded or worn you might not see the pilot setting. On my oven it was past "off". Turn the oven to off, but push the knob in and keep turning to the Pilot area to keep the pilot lit.

Ken

On my Atwood/Wedgewood oven I have found it better to turn the oven knob past the "pilot" range, a little closer to "200" maybe, and the pilot lights better and stays lit as it should after the thermocouple has heated sufficiently . I don't think on my model there is a Pilot adjustment

My Magic Chef oven is circa 1994. I have to push the knob in to turn it, but I don't have to hold it in after I have turned it on.  Going clockwise, mine reads OFF, Pilot, temp settings, broil. It turns counter-clockwise once it is pushed in.

One trick that will often get the pilot to light immediately, is to first light up a stove burner, then light the oven pilot, then turn the stove burner off. I learned this from years of cooking and working at sea with numerous different propane ovens. This technique is  not in the manual but it often does the trick.

However, sometimes I forget to do that... or the oven lights quickly anyhow. Here's the standard way to light it:

To light my oven, I push it in and turn it to pilot, light the oven. I then turn the heat up while leaving the door open, so I can make sure it eventually fires up the burner. At that point, I either turn it back to Pilot or  set the temp for it to preheat, then I close the oven door. 

If mine won't light on pilot, then I turn it on full blast and light the pilot.  The burner isn't going to come on until the thermocoupler is happy (preheated) anyhow. But sometimes it lights there rather than at the pilot setting.

The pilot setting is most handy for when you are through baking, you can turn it back to just pilot to keep the pilot lit. If something that came out of the oven isn't cooked right, you can fire up the oven or broiler again, without having to stick your hand in a hot oven (to light it).

Always turn on the exhaust fan while cooking or baking.

For safety reasons, I always turn the stove knob off, once I am through with the pilot and the possibility of baking. However, I have left the pilot safely on for 12-24 hours, while making yogurt in the oven. The pilot light generally supplies a near perfect temp for incubating yogurt.  :D

PS-You might want to put your rig info in your signature line.  ;D

Say RVman, did you replace the thermocouple on your oven? Please advise. I have the same problem.

miraccav

An undocumented feature on many gas ovens is when you turn the knob past the Pilot setting to a temperature, the thermocouple switches from controlling the pilot flame to controlling the main burner.

This lets gas flow continuously to the pilot, so the flame stays lit after you light it without having to hold the knob in.  The main burner will light several seconds later, when the pilot heats the thermocouple to it's operating temperature, so make sure your arm is out of the way.

This is the basis for Stu's tip of turning the knob past pilot.

I need to replace pilot assembly & thermocouple in Atwood Model 2133.  They say that it was discontinued.  I have researched everywhere.  Any suggestions.

Suebillb said:
I need to replace pilot assembly & thermocouple in Atwood Model 2133.  They say that it was discontinued.  I have researched everywhere.  Any suggestions.
Check with rvdealership.com.  They have your Atwood listed.  If you drill down to "show diagram" the thermocouple is item 35.  Give them a call, they may be able to help you.

when mine does this, I am low on propane, Change tanks and works fine.

Back
Top Bottom