Pop-Up Power Lift Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AERO63

Good morning folks...I have an issue that's got me stumped. My 2007 Rockwood Freedom 1620 is equipped with a power lift...the lift is equipped with an overload switch that kills power to the lift when (I assume) the lift becomes overloaded with resistance.

When I first bought the trailer (used) the overload switch would kill power to the lift maybe once or twice as I lifted the roof. Not a big problem, but it seemed strange that it would kill on a "normal" lift of the roof. Unfortunately, the problem has progressively gotten worse. The overload switch is now killing multiple times per lift, sometimes only allowing the roof to come up 6" or so and even that 6" is very slow and labored.

Obviously we've got an issue here...I have greased the lift system cables in all provided zerks, and I've greased up the gearing inside the power lift box as well. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

The lift is really struggling...does it sound like it could be an issue with the voltage coming from the battery?? If it's getting well below 12 volts I assume this could cause the problem...if that is the case (low voltage from the battery) what could be some possible solutions?

Any other ideas outside of voltage? I suppose it could be a bad motor on the lift itself...that would make sense...haha...but I'm hoping not.

Any experiences and/or help would be appreciated!!

Could also be a battery that is not charging or is not fully charged, a bad ground or any poor 12V connection/splice in your system wiring. Try measuring the current (amps) drawn and voltage during that operation. Could also be a now defective overload switch since it has blown multiple times. These tend to weaken over use.

Perhaps you could try a FULLY charged battery and ground connected more directly to the lift system motor and see if there is a difference. If there is not, guess what??

I'm thinking along the lines of an amperage shortage.  Not voltage.  Lets assume the battery is ok and all connections are sufficient and tight.  You did check them all and have the battery load tested, right?  ;)

Required greasing of the lifting system is a plus and not to be overlooked.  Otherwise, if everything else checks out ok, sounds like the lifting system is either binding somewhere in the system, the overload switch is defective or getting weak, or the lift motor is going south  A voltage/amperage draw test is needed to be taken at the lift motor to track down the source of the problem. 

Thanks for the ideas guys...I'll plan to check the voltage/amperage at the winch and see what's happening...hopefully that will give me an idea about what could be going on...

Back
Top Bottom