2012 dodge fifth wheel hitch trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reiber

Have a 2012 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 crewcab and am trying to buy a fifth wheel hitch  and they tell me I cant  that im to short will hit the trailer when turning corners  can some out there help me please

1/2 ton trucks are not really suitable for towing fifth wheel trailers.
But to answer your question what truck bed length do you have?

I tow with a 1/2 ton ford with a 6 1/2 foot bed with no issues, and I don't have a slider hitch, but mine is a club cab not a 4 door. You have to be careful when backing up into tight areas as if you get jack knifed the trailer can hit the cab of the truck. They make slider hitches for this purpose, BTW it has nothing to do with 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton but the bed length is the critical part.

Every truck is a little different and so are every 5th wheel, many are changing the kingpin location and rounding the corners of 5th wheels to accommodate the newer 4 door trucks with shorter beds....

My trailer is very small and I have not come even close to hitting the cab and have backed up pretty sharp turns with no issues, you just need to try it and be aware of the problem and don't get yourself in a position you have to turn tight while backing up...I try and avoid that anyway.

Keep trying, it will work but with a 1/2 truck you can't haul a very big 5th wheel, no matter what the dealer tells you, check it out carefully.

I am right now shopping for a bigger truck and ultimately a slightly bigger 5th wheel.

Good Luck,

Jim

You can put a slider in and not have a problem there, however with a 1500 you will have to watch the weight.  Smaller 5ers will work.

I have a 1/2 ton series 5th wheel. When I was looking to get a new truck, I wanted to go to a crew cab. Ford, Dodge and GM did not offer in 2009 a 1/2 ton crew cab with a 6 1/2' box length. To the best of my knowledge the box length hasn't changed.

1/2 ton crew cab has a box that is only 5'7" long. Minimum box length for 5th wheel is 6 1/2'

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom