Alaska with the Stocks 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Henry Wishard said:
These are some great shots, hope we are as fortunate enough to see the same on our Glaciers cruise next Thursday in Valdez. Thanks for the report on the highway condition. Henry
If you haven't already booked it, I highly recommend the 9-hour cruise over the 6.5 hour.  We saw 10 times as many animals on the 9-hour because you go further out, and the animals were much more active.  I would rate the 9-hour a 100 and the 6.5 hour a 30.  Also, the Lulu Belle boat got really close to the Columbia Glacier on the 6.5 hour trip, whereas Stan Stephens boat was larger, which would give a more comfortable ride, but was the furthest away I've ever been from a glacier.  We used the coupon on the 6.5 hour tour and total was $120.  The 9-hour was $155 each, total $310, but was many times more worth it. On the 6.5 hour trip 90% of it was spent just boring boating, not seeing anything.  On the 9-hour, we saw something every 5 minutes or so, constant action.  On both of the Stephens cruises, the crew and captain were spectacular.

ArdraF said:
Wonderful photos!  Sounds like you had a great Columbia Glacier cruise.

ArdraF

Thanks.  We went by the mouth of the Columbia Glacier, but we actually went to the Mears Glacier.  We took the Columbia 6.5 hour cruise 2 days later, and while every cruise was good, it was by far the least interesting.

July 25 Day 69 Valdez, AK

It rained all night, and I wasn't feeling well so I called Stan Stevens to see if we could postpone our next marine cruise by one day.  They were very accommodating.  Despite predictions of 60% rain, it cleared by 9:00.  We had an overcast, but dry, day.

I looked out our front window and saw yesterday's black bear, and it wasn't even half as far away.  He was just eating grass and roots.  (Picture 1)

I posted back logs for a while, and then I noticed a glaucous gull chasing a bald eagle.  I couldn't believe who was chasing whom.  The bald eagle landed in the grass near where the bear had been, and the gull flew off.  I grabbed my binoculars, hoping to see the bald eagle in flight. And there began a story of perseverance, best told by pictures.

The bald eagle turned his attention to becoming a nest builder.  Picture 2
He has found a stick that would fit nicely in his nest.                  Picture 3
Will he make it?                                      Picture 4
He crashes.       Picture 5
He decides to try using his beak instead of the talons.       Picture 6
Nope, let's try the talons again.       Picture 7
Concentrate!       Picture 8
Liftoff!       Picture 9
I know I can!       Picture 10
I did it!       Picture 11
I have overcome.       Picture 12
Flying high.       Picture 13
Home at last!       Picture 14
"Honey, I'm home, and I brought you a present!"       Picture 15

We bought burgers to go from Old Town Burgers--the best burger I've had in a very long time, and outstanding fries (which I don't usually like).  We had halibut fish & chips there a couple of days ago, and it was also great.

Staying at Bayside RV Park--$152.00/4 days, 50 amps, FHU

Attachments

• IMG_2757.jpg
    IMG_2757.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2763.jpg
    IMG_2763.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2764.jpg
    IMG_2764.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2765.jpg
    IMG_2765.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 10
The rest of the story....

Attachments

• IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2768.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2774.jpg
    IMG_2774.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2782.jpg
    IMG_2782.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 11
July 27 Day 71 Valdez, AK

We had another beautiful day--somewhat overcast, but that should make the glacial blue on the glaciers even more beautiful. 

Getting to see spectacular sights is the biggest benefit of traveling.  The downside to that is that we're not as easily impressed, and things that used to "WOW!" us, no longer do because we've seen so much better.  We/ve been on 10 Alaskan marine cruises.  When Dean asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I said, "Nothing.  Please save the money and use it to buy another marine cruise in Alaska."  On our two trips to Alaska, we've been on 10 marine cruises.  The 9-hour Stan Stephens cruise that we went on 2 days ago was probably our #1 favorite.  Today's cruise was disappointing, and decidedly in last place.  However, it did have a few special moments.  The Chinese family who we spoke with were thrilled because they saw things they'd never seen before. 

The boat for the Stan Stephens Columbia Glacier 6.5 hour trip was smaller than the 9-hour Mears Glacier boat, which was important only because of the decreased rail space outside, and the boat was full.  There was a large Korean tour group and probably a lot of people like us who didn't go yesterday because of the rain.  The large number of people, my short height, and my lack of speed and mobility, meant that I didn't see much, unless it was on my side of the boat.  There were very few sightings, and most of the day was pretty boring.. Nevertheless, Dean got good pictures of what was out there because he has had enough experiences to anticipate and get to a good spot.  He watches where the captain is looking as soon as he hears the boat start to slow down, and he goes to a place where he will be able to get his pictures.  He's still almost 6' tall, so he also has a height advantage.

Our first sighting was about 30 minutes out, when the captain announced there were a few otters, but they quickly dove under the water. (Picture 1)

Then the captain spotted a mated pair of bald eagles (Picture 2).  One flew off, but returned to his mate (Picture 3).  In Picture 3, is his wife giving him a piece of her mind for leaving her when that ship came close?  She's really worked up in Picture 4.  Then, together, they both told us to go away (Picture 5)  In Picture 6, peace has returned.  Dean got to see this play out.  I got glimpses between the 2 rows of people in front of me, but didn't see the story until I edited his pictures.  A few minutes later, we saw 2 nesting eagles in a tree, but we were quite far away, and a minute later, we saw a single bald eagle.

There were a lot of fishing boats doing "clean up" fishing since it's the end of the pink salmon fishing.  All the boats were seiners and had put out a big net in a circle of net, which they then draw closed the bottom, and bring it up. I saw a fishing boat bringing in the "money bag." I've never seen them haul up their catch before, and they did have a net full of salmon..  Dean was unable to get any pictures, despite our captain stopping for a few minutes to allow us to view it.

The captain got word  from a boat that earlier there had been orcas, so we went to the spot and waited about ten minutes, but there was no sign of life.  However, I got lucky and spotted a humpback whale and her calf and remembered to yell, "One o'clock whale."  That's the first time I've ever been the first to see a whale. (Picture 7)

Another half-hour later, we saw a group of juvenile or unsuccessful bachelor sea lions crowded together on a haul-out.  The captain said that in 1980, for some unexplained reason, the population of sea otters decreased by 80%.  Scientists branded many of them, noting with the brand where they were so they could follow their migratory route.  They have been rebounding as of late.

We saw about six horned puffins, and for us this was a first time to see them in the wild.  They only stayed around for about 30 seconds and they were pretty far away, but Dean got this great shot. (Picture 9)  I saw them with my binoculars, but didn't realized they were horned, not tufted, until I saw his pictures.

Then we were served lunch, which included the following: lemonade or water, a half-filled cup of clam chowder, a bagel, cream cheese, and oreo cookies on a tray, which you had to juggle on your lap.  On the other boat, we had a great lunch of chicken alfredo, but more importantly, a table on which to eat. On both trips the crew served the meal and collected the trash afterwards.  I can't say enough good things about the crews both times; they were so friendly, considerate, efficient, knowledgeable, and hard-working.

Twenty miles from the Columbia Glacier, there were icebergs.  Picture 10 was the most gorgeous glacial blue and had an interesting shape.  They usually only last 24 hours because the water melts them. 

It took us a very long time of going slow through the icefield to get about 1 mile from Columbia.  Meanwhile, we watched as the LuluBelle, a competing company, took their boat along the shoreline right up to the glacier's 10 mile wide face.  We had to stop so far away that we couldn't hear any of the groans and pops that glaciers make, and we didn't see any calving, though it probably was occurring.  It is giving off 15 tons of ice per day, so I assume that was happening while we were there and even with binoculars, we couldn't see it.  The glacier is in "catastrophic retreat," and in the 1990's was giving off 30 TONS of ice per day.  It is the first glacier in catastrophic retreat to be studied by scientists because the other glaciers did it 300-500 years ago.  It will continue to retreat until it is no longer in the water.

I've reported every sighting we made on the trip.  I chose not to report at least three times as  many sightings from our 9-hour trip, in addition to those I did write about.  I love the Stan Stephens company, but even with a coupon, I wouldn't go on this cruise again.

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2848.jpg
    IMG_2848.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2856.jpg
    IMG_2856.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2858.jpg
    IMG_2858.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 9
Linda....great fun reading your posts.  We did the Lulu Belle when we were there and loved it.  It was a 9+ hour cruise and he was able to get the nose of the boat into cave openings.  What we loved about that cruise is that the pilot/owner built the boat and uses it in the winter season down in the Seattle area to live in.  It is beautifully built with lots of hand crafted wood.  He gave lots of history and lots of wildlife information.

We also did the Stan Stephen Mear's Glacier tour and it was great also, but we loved the intimacy of the Lulu Belle.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Linda....great fun reading your posts.  We did the Lulu Belle when we were there and loved it.  It was a 9+ hour cruise and he was able to get the nose of the boat into cave openings.  What we loved about that cruise is that the pilot/owner built the boat and uses it in the winter season down in the Seattle area to live in.  It is beautifully built with lots of hand crafted wood.  He gave lots of history and lots of wildlife information.

We also did the Stan Stephen Mear's Glacier tour and it was great also, but we loved the intimacy of the Lulu Belle.

Marsha~

Thanks.  You did it just the way I would have done it if I had a "do-over".  We didn't have sufficient knowledge when we went to make a good decision.  I wish I'd asked you, but I thought I knew because we'd been there before.  I think last time we must have just done the 9-hour tour.

July 28 Day 72 Haines Junction, YT

What a miserable day!  We drove from Valdez to Haines Junction.  I heard on RV'er say that it was worse than Top of the World Highway.  Now, I wouldn't go that far, because when we drove that on a dry day, the dust contained a chemical that they had applied to settle the dust.  That fine dust came into the coach and burned my throat, nostrils, and lungs.  But, I can say that it's bad enough to discourage me from coming to Alaska again.  Not that I won't, after I put my pictures in my photo album and re-live the wonderful experiences that we've had here.

The road in Alaska was fair, with many damaged frost heaved sections.  The border crossing was a breeze.  The guard asked about 10 questions in 2 minutes and we were on our way. 

Then we came to the sign, "WELCOME TO THE YUKON."  Thwap!  Oomph!  Oomph!  Dean hadn't slowed yet, and by the time he did, I'd had the air knocked out of me twice.  And it didn't get better until we were about an hour outside of Haines Junction when the road was, I think, recently re-paved but already had damage.

There were many gravel parts, and would you believe some people were doing over 50 mph?  And the #1 culprit was RVers, I'm sad to say.  #2 culprit was truckers.  We got another crack in our windshield when a truck towing a trailer came pelted us with gravel so forcefully that it sounded like we were under fire in a gun battle.  There were miles and miles of gravel.  They are doing a lot of construction, so at least they're trying to make it better.

The day was gorgeous--over 80?.  So, of course, Dean wanted to keep his window open.  I understood why, but I had stayed up until 4:00 in the morning before we left cleaning and doing computer work. I figured that I could sleep on the road today.  Boy, was I wrong!

The road dust is so fine that it comes in, even with all windows and vents closed up.  I didn't think about putting away Kleenex.  When I used a tissue to get the dust from my nose, the tissue was full of dust! When I picked up the liquid soap to wash my hands, it was gritty.  If I were to do this drive again, God forbid, I'd stow and cover EVERYTHING.  I'd put everything I could--like my books--in the refrigerator with its air-tight seal.  I just keep discovering more places that the grit has invaded.  My medications that were inside a sealed pill case have grit on them.  The whole coach, even the walls, has a layer of that gritty dust.

We saw a Winnebago pulled as far over to the side of the road as he could and had orange triangles set up behind his rig.  We pulled over, hoping we could help him.  He told us that he had broken a fan belt and was traveling with another couple who had gone ahead and phoned for help.  They had arranged for a flatbed to come from Watson Lake (over 500 miles!) to pick up his rig.  The cost must have been enormous.  He was a retired rep from Winnebago and had plenty of supplies to wait, so we moved on to the next frost heave.

About 6:00, when we were still several hours out, we got wonderful rain.  It settled the dust, which made things so much better.  The road was still terrible, but life was more tolerable.  And, then, I saw the most beautiful rainbow.  (Picture 1)  And, just a little further over, a "wanna be" rainbow, a fuzzy mixture of colors.  I studied one 3-month summer at the U of Hawaii, so I saw hundreds of rainbows (it rained every day for at least a brief period).  I've never seen the end of a rainbow before or a "wanna be" rainbow, so I was excited.  A bright burst of color lifts the spirits.

Cleaning is a "pink" job, and Dean had lots of other things to do when we came in.  But, without being asked, he joined me in grabbing Clorox wipes and going over as much as he could. This is a first. Without being asked!  Wow! It just gives you a sense of the magnitude of the problem when everything you touch is gritty.  We ate dinner at midnight--the latest ever.

Afterwards, I rewarded myself with a wonderful, warm, soothing shower.  Nothing has ever felt better.

Dean is doing repairs as I am writing this.  The drapery motor was affected, but that was a quick fix.

He tried to be pro-active at rest stops.  We jerked from left to right so strongly that our spice rack flew open and the screws had to be re-tightened.  Dean says we need to glue them in.  The refrigerator came out from its holder by over 2 inches.  Dean taped it to cabinetry with his super-strong tape, which worked well.  Tonight, he has worked over 2 hours trying to get the dust out of the GPS with that spray air you use on computers.  The GPS is working now, but the rear camera, which is part of the same system, isn't.  Dean has declared that it's time to go to bed.  He just realized that perhaps the reason that the rear camera is showing all black is that it is dark outside.  It was a long, tough day, and I'm sure we'll sleep well.

Staying at Kluane RV Kampground--around $28, water and 30 amps, cable TV which didn't work on either of two post plug-ins, WiFi if we go up to the office after 8:00 in the morning and use it up there

Attachments

• IMG_3013.jpg
    IMG_3013.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 14
Thank goodness for rainbows and other beautiful places!  Hope it's all better from here on.

ArdraF

Linda:

Valdez to Haines Junction was a two day trip for us, no wonder you were worn out.

July 29 Day 73 Haines, AK

The park in Haines Junction was full last night when we arrived around 8:00.  We were so surprised when we opened our drapes and found the park empty when we were ready to leave at 11:00.

If yesterday was an "F" (and that's too high a grade), today was an "A+".  From the moment we entered Highway 3, the Haines Highway, it was as smooth as silk until the last few miles coming into Haines where it got a little bumpy.  I couldn't believe that the Yukon had any roads of this premium quality.  We noticed yesterday that all the lakes and rivers seemed overly full.  In fact, one lane of the highway going northbound was shut down because the water had come up above the ditch and covered the lane.  Road crews were hard at work.  The only complaint that I have today is that the Yukon kilometerposts are teeny tiny sticks on the drivers' side.

About an hour into the drive, at noon, we saw a car headed northbound, and the driver was watching a bear.  One of my fondest memories of our previous trip was frequently seeing bears by the side of the road, stopping, throwing open the RV door, taking photos, and being entertained.  This year we have seen zero roadside bears, so I really really wanted to go back and see him. He was in a gorgeous wide green meadow, well away from trees, just munching away.  Fireweed is blooming like crazy in brilliant magenta.  That picture would be so amazing we could have it professionally framed and hang it in our house.  Sometimes Dean is a saint.  He drove another 15 minutes before we came to a place we could make a U-turn.  We drove back past the spot, and that bashful bear was GONE!  It cost us 30 minutes and a lot of disappointment.

About an hour later (45 minutes from the last spot), I saw another bear in a meadow.  It took a fair distance to stop the motorhome, and it took several minutes for Dean to hurdle the cat's litter box which is holding the refrigerator in place and get his camera, and then assemble it and bring it forward.  Dean walked all the way back to "the spot", and that bear was gone, too.  We saw bear scat at several places on the road, so we know they are plentiful.

My suggestion to those who follow us is to go fairly slowly when you get to the section of the Milepost that mentions bears because they don't stay in the same place for long.  We didn't see any of the tundra swans, but at least I had the pleasure of seeing two bears. 

Not only was the road beautiful today, the scenery was too.  We ate lunch looking out at this pretty glacier.  (Picture 1) There were meadows, rivers, trees, and bunches of wildflowers.

Last Wednesday, on our first Stan Stephens cruise in Valdez, I was enjoying clam chowder, and my new crown that was put in in May fell out.  Valdez and Haines only have one dentist each, and they're both on vacation.  .  Dentists all over this part of Alaska are on vacation--I know because I've called and googled.  One dentist's office manager suggested that we go the hospital emergency room (What good would that do?) or to Juneau.  So, as soon as we got in today at 3:00, I started calling and finally got an appointment in Juneau for Wednesday.  The only way to Juneau is by plane or boat.  I called the ferry, and the fast ferry wasn't running from Haynes tomorrow, so we have to take the slow ferry.  I hoped to be able to leave early and enjoy the day in Juneau,, but the only space was on the 5:00 ferry.  We have to be there at 3:00, and it's a 4-hour ride.  Then I tried to get a hotel.  The Juneau hotels are booked with a "Search" meeting/convention.  We are paying $152/night + taxes for an old hotel by the airport.  But, we had to stay somewhere.  Oh, and we have to be at the ferry on Friday at 5:00 AM, and we're not early rising people.  Challenges!

Good news!  The Bear-itto Bakery & Eatery is still in business, and we'll try to get some raspberry bars tomorrow.  They also have wonderful breads, too.  We'll buy a couple loaves when we return from Juneau.

Bad news!  We went out to the weir to see our bear.  He wasn't there.  Our favorite parking place is now a designated Native protected area with a totem pole and roped off with flags and "No Trespassing" signs.  Also, the place by the weir that we park at is now parking prohibited and people are not allowed to get out of their cars, probably because of some bear-stupid person.  In Portage Valley,  I was told by a ranger that there was a visitor who was trying to pet a bear. 

We ate out at the Lighthouse.  Their food is good, not great, and very expensive for what it is.

Staying at Haynes Hitch-Up RV Park--$279.15/6 nights (we're keeping the coach here while we go to Juneau, which is rapidly becoming a very expensive trip), 50 amps, FHU, goooood cable TV, grrrrreat WiFi

Attachments

• IMG_3020.jpg
    IMG_3020.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 22
Jeff said:
Linda:

Valdez to Haines Junction was a two day trip for us, no wonder you were worn out.

Dean did the planning on this trip.  Believe me, I thought, "This should have had a stop at Destruction Bay," when we stopped there and bought an ice cream.  Dean was starting to yawn, and I thought he needed to have a reason to get up and walk around.  It was 300 miles, which I'm OK with on an interstate, but not on that road.

July 31 Day 75 Juneau

I walked into Dr. Logan's office fearful that in the week we'd spent finding a dentist to affix my crown that I had damaged the tooth.  Would he be able to save the tooth?  Would it require extended days of dentistry?  Would I need to have another crown made?  So much could have gone wrong.  Instead, he told me that I had chipped off a small piece, but he would be able to just clean it off, apply dental glue, and pop that crown back on.  Hurrah!  And, it only cost $80.  I think I would have paid that back home.  Whoopee!
We celebrated by going to the Capitol.

The Capitol is located in the midst of other tall buildings in downtown and does not look like a capitol except for marble columns in front.  Dean couldn't stand back far enough to get a picture because of all the other buildings that surround the Capitol, so he took a picture of the picture shown on a TV screen. (Picture 1)  The building was begun in 1910 as the federal building and the territorial capitol at a cost of $700,000.  (Picture 2)  They only had $350,000, so the residents of Juneau raised the remaining money because they were so passionate about wanting the capital in their city.  The designer whose plan was chosen got $25,000, plus a bonus because he used some Alaskan marble.  The capitol is made of concrete.  While it was being built, the first legislature met in the Elks Hall in 1913.  Originally they had no offices or staff.  In 1931, they needed more room, so they kicked out the museum and the library.  The library was stuffed with Alaskan artifacts and a big stuffed moose.

The only change they have made is to remove the ornamentation around the perimeter of the roof because it was falling down.  It has no dome or rotunda or ornamental anything--definitely "The Plainest Capitol."

The tour guide had a great personality.  He couldn't brag a lot about the capitol, so he bragged about Alaska, telling us that if you cut it in half, Alaska would be the #1 and #2 largest states.  Juneau is also the biggest capital city in the United States (in area).  Alaska is the northernmost, easternmost, and westernmost state because part of the Aleutian Islands cross the international dateline.  The federal government owns 95% of the land in Alaska.  Alaska has the highest active military presence in the United States.  It is illegal to farm fish in Alaska.

Our guide took us to the House Finance Committee Room to show us the Alaska flag.  Then he took us to the House of Representatives (Pictures 3 & 4).  Legislators work from January to April, and have a salary of $50,000.  Juneau can be reached only by plane or boat, so there are 16 legislative offices throughout the state.  Citizens can go there and watch proceedings and participate by giving information and testimony.  Legislators MUST VOTE YES OR NO on every issue. There is no abstaining.  If they aren't present, the Capitol Police are sent to go get them.  There are NO TIES.  There are an even number of senators and representatives, so if a tie occurs, they keep voting until it is decided.  However, this doesn't happen because have so many more Republicans than Democrats.  The government is very red now.  26 of the 40 representatives are Republican, as is the Senate and governor.  They are not allowed to bring in any handbags, computers, I-Pads, smart phones or electronics.  However, they have made provision for the future by installing plug-ins at their desks.  (Picture 5)  There are no term limits.  Representatives have two-year terms, and senators have four-year terms.

Hinkle is the only governor to be elected as an Independent.  Hinkle was chosen by Nixon to be the secretary of the interior, the only Alaskan cabinet member.  However, Nixon fired him because he sent Nixon a letter disagreeing with his war policies.  In order to vote you must live in Alaska one full year and not be convicted of a felony.

College tuition here is $2000 per semester.  However, there are many scholarships available, and our guide makes a profit of $1000 per semester. 

We had a good lunch at The Broiler on our way to the next stop, The Glacier Gardens.  It was originally the Mendenhall Dairy.  Picture 6 shows Lee Smith, who collected milk from 4 dairies and took it into downtown Juneau to be pasteurized.  His son worked with him during his teens, and he told me who he was as he started the tour.  He helped the dairy farmer with gathering and chopping the grass from the tidal flats that they used for cattle feed.  As he left, he told me that all the dairies closed in 1966, but he didn't say why.

This had originally been glacial land, and in  1984 there was a massive landslide. (Picture 7)  The state didn't want the liability of holding onto the land, so they sold it to Steve.  He had a background in horticulture.  He started with little machinery.  The job was so massive that he ended up renting a $250,000 bulldozer.  He promised his wife that he wouldn't wreck it, but he accidentally ran into a huge rock, causing major damage.  He was so mad that he picked up a tree and threw it upside down into the soil.  He got the idea of planting "upside-down trees."  He then put sphagnum moss in the roots that were sticking up in the air and put a variety of plants in the moss.  (Picture 8)  He won first place in a Readers' Digest selection for it.  You get a wonderful, informative golf cart tour through a tropical forest that he has carved from that landslide.  They take you up to the top where you can see the whole valley, airport, and pier area.  We spent an hour there, and was educational as well as enjoyable.  I had a buy one/ get one free coupon from Alaska Toursaver, so it only cost us $25.  It is definitely my #1 pick of places to go in Juneau. 

We still had lots of daylight, and we headed to Mendenhall Glacier (Picture 9).  It's still massive, but it is in a massive retreat.  Fifty years ago, it receded 60 feet.  In 2011, it receded 437 feet.  The Visitors Center had a good 15-minute film and exhibits.  It cost $5 if you don't have a Golden Age Pass.  There is an impressive waterfall of water that flows from it (Picture 10). 

Ever since Denali, I've been hearing about how moose love "kettle ponds."  I thought they were shaped like a kettle, with the spout being the in-flow.  In reality, they form when a large chunk of glacial ice is buried by silt and slowly melts away, leaving an empty space where the ice was.  This space fills with rainwater and forms permanent ponds.

We saw so much of Juneau today that we have decided to try to catch the ferry back to Haines tomorrow morning.

Cat is staying in RV at Haines Hitch-up Park--$47/night.

Attachments

• IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3028.jpg
    IMG_3028.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3058.jpg
    IMG_3058.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 21
August 1 Day 76 Haines, AK

We got up at 4:00 AM to try to catch the early ferry from Juneau back to Haines.  Travelodge was kind enough to refund our $152 that we had paid for the third day.  Interestingly, they would not have done that if we had booked from a site like Expedia; we would have had to work it out with Expedia.  But, the Travelodge rate was the same as the "cut-rate" websites, so I had booked it through them, so I was given an immediate refund.

The ride was smooth.  We ate last night's leftovers for brunch in the ferry cafeteria.  They kindly provide you with eating utensils and microwave access.

Dean wanted a burger when we got off, so we went to Bear-itto's, my 2009 trip's favorite bakery anywhere.  I figured that while Dean ate his burger, I'd buy a couple of loaves of bread and some of their wonderful raspberry bars.  Well, my bakers have returned to Tucson.  Two years ago they had 35' of snow.  Last summer, the thermometer only hit 70? three times (Yes, Marsha, I remember your stories of cold and rain.)  Then this winter they had another 35' of snow, and it came early and was still giving significant snow on May 21.  I don't think we've had 3 days under 70? since we hit Alaska.  We have been very lucky.  So, they moved back to Tucson, and returned the bakery to its previous owner, a friend of theirs, who is a very nice guy, but not a good cook.  I had a small gyro, and it tasted like he used powdered yogurt in it (is there such a thing?).  Anyway, it was the worst gyro I've ever had, and the smallest, which was fine because I wasn't really hungry and it was so low in quality.  Dean wanted to buy raspberry bars and cinnamon rolls (they are small, which was fine, too).  I nibbled on one tonight, and it is really dry and also not good.  His baker is off on a binge, so there wasn't any bread, but I wouldn't want to buy any now anyway.

We passed by a farmers' market outside the local grocery and stopped.  They were selling grills and smokers, and I talked with the man about what he was making and how he does it.  He was using Traegers Veggie Spice on onions and was smoking salmon, which smelled delicious.  I wanted to buy some of his spice for our fresh fish and corn-on-the-cob tonight.  When I went into the sporting goods store where he said the grills and spices were, they had none.  Then we went into the grocery spice section, and they had none, too.  I found the man, and he checked in back and found they needed to re-order.  But, he GAVE me a container with enough for a couple of dozen ears of corn.

We unloaded, and Dean headed for the pier to buy fresh fish.  But, alas, I had too much fun talking, and all the fish markets closed at 4:00, and it was almost 5:00.  So we'll have fresh fish tomorrow night.

August 2 Day 77 Haines

This afternoon Dean went down to the dock to buy fresh halibut.  He was told at the fish stores that the halibut season is over here, and all that is available is frozen.  So, he bought that.

We then went to the Visitors Center, a small, busy bungalow with knowledgeable people.  We spent 10 minutes there and the Klukwans are building a new cultural center and not performing, so we will miss their dancing and storytelling a second time. 

We headed to the Sheldon Museum.  Admission to this small museum was $5, but I learned many new facts.  The Klingits were fierce warriors and guarded their trade routes viciously.  They traveled as far as Southern California to trade.  They were having an exhibit of reptile paintings by Tim Shields, a Haines artist tonight.  He let us come in while he was setting up.  His SO is a teacher in a one-room schoolhouse in Mosquito Lake (20 miles outside Haines) teaching 17 students K-5 with one assistant.  She showed me her Russian tortoise (Picture 1) and gave me insight to how she copes with all the grade levels. 

The artist is a biologist whose specialty is desert biology, but he loves the solitude up here, so he paints instead.  He had lots of dinosaur pictures, but my favorite was this whimsical King Kong picture with its colorful iguana and high fliers.

We drove out to the weir again, about a 10 minute drive each way, but still no bears.  Maybe tomorrow.

Dean barbequed halibut on a cedar plank, and it was delicious.

Staying at Haines Hitch-up Park--$47/night.

Attachments

• IMG_3081.jpg
    IMG_3081.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3084.jpg
    IMG_3084.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 18
August 3 Day 78 Haines

Today was our lucky day!  We went to the American Bald Eagle Foundation on the morning ofthe dedication of the Perry Bigbee Bald Eagle Mew (a special large cage for birds).  Admission is free until noon, but we made a nice donation to help further their work.  After noon, it costs $8.

We got there just in time to see the two juvenile bald eagles being fed rabbit, quail, and fish.  (Picture 1)  I figured they were feeding a mixed diet because fish is so expensive, but it is because eagles need fur-bearing or feathered prey to be able to make pellets--just like owls.  They need to make pellets because they can't digest fat, so pellets allow them to expel the fat.  Both eagles had to have part of their wings amputated after they flew into powerlines.

After they fed the eagles, they fed us.  We were served drinks and a delicious cake.

While we were waiting for the next bird, a nice lady came up and asked me where we were from. We had no idea who she was.  I asked if she was a Haines supporter of the ABEF.  I started to move over so her husband could see better.  She said he was fine with where I was because they come every day and had seen the birds many many times.  It turns out that she is the wife of the founder of the ABEF, Dave, who is confined to a wheelchair because he broke his back 26 years ago while building the structure that houses the ABEF.  He had 3 walls in place when the 4th wall fell on him and broke his back.

As we chatted, I told her about how nice people in Haines were,  like the man at the grocery store who gave me the spice.  Then she told me that they own the grocery store where we shopped.  She was the person in the back who searched for our spice.  She told us the history of the store, which is actually an original building with three buildings added onto it, creating a large store.  This is how many of the homes here have been expanded, too.

When the young Eurasian eagle owl , the largest owl in the world, was brought out.  The first thing I noticed was her heavily-feathered talons.  (Picture 2)  Zoologists think the talon feathers may be to muffle sound for silent flight or for warmth, since they do live in mountainous areas. She had fluffy baby feathers on her breast and adult feathers on her back.  She is beginning to get the tufts of feathers that will create little "horns" on her head, so she will look similar to a horned owl.

We made one last attempt to see the bear and her 4 cubs that frequent the weir.  On our last trip, every time we went out there--10 miles--we saw the bear.  This time, we are batting zero.  We drove slowly, waited at the turn-around to give her more time, then returned.  We did see mergansers (Picture 3), who would not turn around and look at the camera. 

This must be the Year of the Bald Eagle.  They have entertained us at so many different places.  Today's story...
Picture 3--The eagle left his high branch on an evergreen, and said, "Gone fishin'."
Picture 4--Not really hungry?  Did he forget why he flew down?  Alzheimers?  He flew back to his high perch.
Picture 5--Calling to every possible friend nearby, "I'm here!"
Picture 6--"Is someone coming?"

Weather was overcast, making the skies hazy.  High of only 68? and cool and damp enough that we'll close our windows tonight for the first time in a long time.

Staying at Haines Hitch-Up--so good that I wrote a review for RVparksreview.

Attachments

• IMG_3092.jpg
    IMG_3092.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3112.jpg
    IMG_3112.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3139.jpg
    IMG_3139.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3150.jpg
    IMG_3150.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3155.jpg
    IMG_3155.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 14
Gary RV Roamer said:
Great tales, Dean & Linda. Brings back fond memories of our own stay in Haines. Love that area!
We love Haines, too.  I think my favorite is still Portage Valley, then Seward and Valdez tied for 2nd, then Haines.  A lot of it has to do with what you experience when you're there.  I think Sodoltna would be Henry's, and we never got to stop there on either trip, despite it being planned, because it was too full of fisherpeople.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom