EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Alaska with the Stocks 2013  (Read 30507 times)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
Re: Alaska with the Stocks 2013
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
Bummer about the dog Linda. We too are huge dog lovers, so I feel for you guys. Don't sweat the motor home. It can be fixed.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 11:25:40 PM »
June 9      Day 23      Dawson Creek, BC
We drove 1.5 hours back to Chetwynd to see the 122 carvings throughout town.  The map of where they were was not very useful.  We probably found 50 of them, and it was well worth the return trip.  They re-varnish them and restore them every 2 years, but the weather up here really takes a toll.  My favorite "oldie" was this forest totem (Picture 1).

We went back to the carving site to see who won because we were told at the headquarters that they were supposed to announce winners at 1:00.  We enjoyed the interesting carvings that were for sale, particularly the sleeping bear.  (Pictures 2, 3, and 4)  When we got there, we were told awards would be given between 3:30-4:00.  We really enjoyed seeing the finished carvings.  They were all winners to us.  The headquarters people told us that they would post the winners on Facebook and on their website that evening.  I checked on June 10 at 4:30, and they're not on either place.  Others on Facebook also have posted their desire to know.

A caravan of 23 RVs came into the park today.  They paid $10,000 each (but that does include all the RV parks and probably some admissions.)

Staying at Northern Lights.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA
2006 Airstream Motor Home
2006 Jeep Liberty (Towed)

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 11:37:47 PM »
June 10      Day 24      Fort Nelson, BC
***Save money, those who follow us--Gas up in Farmington (Store), 14 miles north of Dawson Creek right on the highway.  In 2009, we saved 28 cents per LITER ($1.12 cents/gallon), this time only 9 cents/liter, 36 cents/gallon, but that still amounted to $14 for us.

We got up at 5:15 on the chance we might see wildlife today.  In '09 we didn't, but The Milepost and highway signs advertise moose and deer.  If they were there, I wanted to do my best to see them.

We had a decent 300-mile drive.  The road was a little bumpy with some sections of washboard, but not so much that we had to slow down.  The trees are getting much shorter, but we don't see as many red trees indicating terminal beetle infestation.  However, we see more totally dead trees.

We are celebrating a full day of sun and the most blue sky we've seen in 3 weeks. Yippeeeeeee!

We are headed to the Visitors' Center.  We remember how helpful they were on our previous trip, and they may have a speaker tonight.  We usually find them quite interesting.

New dilemma!  When Dean unhooked the Jeep, he noticed a mechanical fluid all over it.  He investigated all over and under the coach and couldn't find its source.  I assumed it was associated with the dog accident 2 days ago.  Fortunately, Dean knew that he needed a truck repairman rather than an RV repairman, and he got a referral at the Visitors Center.  The man was nice enough to come out, even though it was after 4:30.  He worked with Dean for over 30 minutes, and he says we must have run over something on the highway which splattered up on the Jeep.  He says it didn't come from the RV.  Wonderful news!  And, he wouldn't take any payment.  We'll have to pay it forward.  If we weren't leaving early tomorrow, I would have made a batch of brownies and taken them to him.  We were very fortunate. 

The VC now only has speakers on nights when there is a large group, like a caravan.  Budget cuts?

Wildlife Count: 1 crow, but more 4-legged types tomorrow I hope

Staying at Triple G  $39.90  30 amps, FHU, pretty trees (Sherlock likes them, and it doesn't matter to us because our satellite isn't working anyway), a really expensive campground restaurant advertising "Specials" at $23 and $24--8 oz. prime rib or 12-oz. sirloin steak (Dean will really appreciate my meatloaf and home cooking at that price!)
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 11:52:18 PM »
Those carvings are really neat!  I can see why you enjoyed seeing the artists at work.

So glad you didn't have a major mechanical problem!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 07:37:46 AM »
Bummer about the dog Linda. We too are huge dog lovers, so I feel for you guys. Don't sweat the motor home. It can be fixed.

Thanks for your empathy.  Dean worked for months on the motorhome before the trip trying to make every detail perfect, and I hated to see it go away so quickly.  It's something he sees every time he goes outside, but we are grateful that it isn't mechanical.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

SaltyAdventurer

• ---
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 07:32:14 PM »
Thanks for all the good info about the very high-priced "specials" at the restaurant at the Triple G, Linda...glad I have a LOT of food for our trip up. We really like the Mountain House dried dinners...especially the chili and the lasagna ones. We're leaving really early tomorrow to try to see more wildlife too...hope we see more than one crow! And I hope we can meet up with you two in Anchorage on July 2 when our itineraries overlap...
Klondike Susie aka Salty Adventurer
2013 Itasca Reyo (25', no toad)
Married to oldedit
Resides in Denver CO area & Silverthorne CO

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
We're leaving really early tomorrow to try to see more wildlife too...hope we see more than one crow! And I hope we can meet up with you two in Anchorage on July 2 when our itineraries overlap...
If you don't get the wildlife today, you will soon.  Yesterday was like Wildlife Alley.  We're looking forward to meeting you in person, too.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 08:22:24 PM »
June 11      Day 25   Lake Watson, YT

***Save money, those who follow us--When you enter the Yukon, gas drops over 20 cents/liter, that's 80 cents/gallon.  At Mile 590 on the Alaskan Highway, the first gas station in the Yukon at Contact Creek Lodge, had great prices.

We got up at 5:00 to get an early start, and we heard our neighbors pulling out.  By 6:00 the 5 spaces on our left were vacant.  When we left at 7:15, the sun was bright.  I'd read that the best wildlife viewing was at dawn, so I worried that we'd started too late.

However, within 15 minutes I found a young moose prancing about on what looked like a farmer's field.  Unfortunately, there was no shoulder to pull off on, so we couldn't get a picture.

A white-tailed deer skittered away when he saw us approaching. Then we saw a black bear grazing.  Shivers!

It was hard to miss the herd of 7 young caribou.  It was blocking the road! (Picture 1) Someone had spilled something that they were intently licking it, moving only slightly as vehicles passed them, then returning to their favorite site in the road. 

There was traffic at Stone Mountain, and the one stone sheep we saw scampered away as a car went by too fast.

We gassed up at Toad River (much to our regret because we could have saved lots by waiting a few miles). We passed up their blueberry pie this time (it was delicious last time).  First timers, stop and see their phenomenal hat collection, and sample something from their bakery.

We want to do new things this time so went another hour down the road to Northern Rockies Lodge at Lake Muncho.  The lake is a beautiful blue-green color because of the copper in it.  It reflects the surrounding forest beautifully.  There are precious few turnouts around the lake, and they were occupied.  It's a windy road, and level spots are rare. 

I take back everything I've said about prices up here and my comments about last night's special.  The placemat at the Northern Rockies Lodge Restaurant was very informative and made me appreciate the rigors of keeping a business open in this area.  It was noon, and there was only one other group of 3 men in the dining room.  The lodge has 45 guest rooms, cabins, and chalets, and 21 units are open year-round in the main lodge.  They operate diesel powered John Deer generators to provide their electricity.  This power plant consumes 8000L of diesel per month.  I know they pay less, but if they paid the price we did at their pump, that would amount to $12,800 per month.  Their groceries are delivered 2 x a week from Edmonton, (800+ miles away).  A 50-pound bag of flour is 60% more expensive by the time it is delivered to them.  In 2008, BC government imposed a carbon tax on top fo the sky-high fuel taxesl  This applies to their fuel that they use in their generators.  Their lodge is the only full service hotel open in this section of the Alaskan Highway.  It gets as low as -40C in the winter.  They've been here for 32 years, having immigrated from Switzerland.  The owner is a bush pilot, who makes most of his money on flightseeing tours and taking fishermen on backcountry fky-in fishing trips in Nahanni National Park.

They saved money for 5 years by working in the Northwestern Territories, where it's even colder.  They bought this lodge/restaurant and then built the new lodge and RV operation.  They have 2 sons who attended their first years of school in Toad River, but driving 40 MILES TO AND FROM SCHOOL DAILY (80 miles total) was too far.  How many of us would do this for years???  Even in sunny weather, that is a long way!  They sent them to high school in Vancouver.  These owners are amazing people.

As we looked out at the lake, watching the tiny squirrels scampering around and the barn swallows flying,  I enjoyed a schnitzelburger, and Dean opted for the standard burger.  Both were good, as was the hot coffee.  We never have dessert at lunch, but we both wanted to help support their enterprise.  By the time we left, another threesome and a couple had come in.  Our waitress was a university film student from Vancouver, and she was very attentive and shared her story with us.  We lingered and relaxed.  It was expensive, $55, but worth every penny.  We could have done the burgers and a drink for just over $30.

We weren't back on the road long before we came across a bachelor bison, and a few miles further we saw a herd of 21 bison taking an afternoon siesta.  (Picture 2)  The little orange-brown blob in the center is a baby bison (all 4 of them were in the same zonked pose).

We got more views of black bears and caribou, but no chance for photos.

A truck flashed his lights at us, which at home means that there's a cop or speed trap ahead.  We were legal, but we slowed anyway.  Sauntering along a narrow strip of grass at the side of the highway was a buffalo, heading for construction just 1 km ahead.  I wonder what happened when he got there.

Then we came upon 3 bachelor bison who were grazing within a few feet of the road, and it had a shoulder to pull off on. (Picture 3)  I don't know who enjoyed it more--us or our cat, whose nose was wiggling trying to get their scent, which was even more difficult because his nose was pressed against the screen. His ears were rotating because we were so close we could hear them eating.

Roads today were bumpy, a few 10-minute waits at construction sites, well-marked frostheaves.  If it says "Slow", it means it's higher, flags mean it's there but minimal.  However, we are 2 blocks later than in '09, and the worst of these frostheaves are only 20% of what they were when we came across a bad one that wasn't marked and we launched our cat, who was riding on the dashboard.  He almost hit the ceiling, came back down on the dash, but then we hit a second one, launching him again, and this time he landed on the floor.  If looks could kill, Dean would be dead.  Sherlock then went under my chair and stayed there until we were hooked up in camp. 

One longer stretch had lots of dust clouds as we followed their pilot car.  The others were just one-way traffic that we had to wait for.  Kudos to the BC and Yukon Highway Departments.  They have done a wonderful job.

Weather today was beautiful--probably low 70's with lots of sun and no rain!  Days like this are why we came up here.  It defies description that does it justice.  We are truly in God's Country!

Total Wildlife Count:  29 bison, 5 black bear, 1 stone sheep, 1 white-tailed deer, 1 moose, 9 caribou

Staying at Baby Nugget--50 amps, water, dump, long space (enough to put the Jeep in back or front), all dirt and gravel, has a restaurant and bakery and gift shop with carvings   $50
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
Follow-up to June 9    Chetwynd International Chainsaw Carving Championship

They finally posted the winners today, June 13.  Each of the carvings had a big number, but no title.  By reading others' confused comments on their Facebook page, I think I have the winners figured out.

#1    "Guan Gong" (my second choice)--Picture 1
#2   "Scarecrow"--Picture 2
#3   Pan--Picture 3????
Carvers' Choice   "Guan Gong"
People's Choice   "Scarecrow"
My favorite--Picture 4
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 08:40:02 PM »

June 12      Day 26   Whitehorse, YT

We started off our day with a glimpse of a large wild animal's rear end as he entered the forest in the distance.  This was quickly followed by our first construction section.  We had frequent dirt/gravel areas and lots of baby frostheaves all day long.  The road wasn't awful, but it was quite bumpy with no smooth, recently paved areas.

We will be returning on the same route from Prince George, so we are doing part of our activities in each area, saving some for the return trip, so it isn't drive, drive, drive some more, without anything to do.

When we were through here in '09, the Teslin Tlingit Heritage Centre was not open yet for the season, so I opted to stop there and save the George Johnston Museum for our way back.  It is a pretty building sitting right on Lake Teslin.  There are 5 clans of Tlingit, the Frog, the Beaver, the Crow, and the two most important, the Eagle and the Wolf (Picture 1).  Children are not supposed to marry a member of their own clan, but this is sometimes disregarded today.  Each clan has a totem erected outside the building.

Admission was $4 each, and the museum part was pitifully small, just one area of about 30 exhibits.  They are trying to resurrect their culture.  I saw a lady working on something in a huge open area.  So, I inquired what she was working on.   Marilyn, her brother, and the cowboy spent over an hour sharing with us. (Picture 2)  First, she showed us the mooseskin glove that she was sewing beaver fur on to form a cuff.  (Picture 3)  We learned that each clan had a banner hanging; my favorite of those we could see was the beaver (Picture 4).  One banner was turned toward the wall so we could only see the black back of it.  That signified that a member of the clan had died.  It will stay turned around for one year.  When someone dies, the clan hires 6 people from another clan to dig a gravesite, act as pallbearers, and bury the person.  After one year, these same people erect a headstone, and they put a white picket fence around the gravesite.  Then they have a huge party called a potlatch.  Clan members come from the Lower 48 and Juneau to attend this gala.  The clan of the deceased spends a whole year preparing for this.  They serve moose, goat, sheep, fish, caribou, and smaller animals, both dried (jerky) and fresh.  They dance and give away gifts, such as shirts and kerchiefs that they hang on the white picket fence around the grave.  They also give away moccasins, gloves, and jackets.

Marilyn showed us a mooseskin that she had tanned (Picture 5).  She put it in a brew of moose brains and moose fat, and she removed it after a few hours.  Then she hung it, and it will be softer the colder it is.  Sometimes it's -40F or -50F!  That really breaks down the fibers in the skin.  Then she soaked it again for a few hours, and repeated that process over a period of 2 full days.  She said they fished in these small mooseskin boats. (Picture 6)

Marilyn's brother came over with us to view a video of tribal pictures, and he narrated it with personal experiences.  I suggested that they probably stayed inside during winter when it was so cold, and he said that was partially true, but they also worked the trapline for days on end to get furs.  He told us that the tribe has closed the lake and streams to fishing because the Alaskans are taking so many salmon that they get very few here, and they are worried about sustainability.

The Tlingit try to emphasize education with their youth.  They attend local school for the primary grades, and then they go to residential schools in Whitehorse for high school.  Free room and board while attending high school is free to every resident of the Yukon.  The cowboy said he regretted that he had quit school in 4th grade, and he had to have someone read letters to him and explain information to him.  He had made 2 beautiful saddles that were on display.

They were proud of a video about how the tribe survived the years of 1816-7 when they had two winters due to an eruption of a Phillipine volcano which created a huge ash layer in the sky.  The pictures were hand-drawn, and the story was not informative.  They never did say how the tribe kept from starving.  I'd definitely skip that.

The museum itself wasn't worth the $8 we spent.  However, the experience of listening to this Tlingit group was priceless.  We really enjoyed it.

Dean wanted to eat at Johnston Crossing, home of the famous cinnamon buns, and we were disappointed that the whole place is closed--gas station, RV park, and cafe.  They paid for a large ad in The Milepost, and they've been there forever, so I assume someone was ill or something major happened.

Wildlife:  1 unidentified large, dark, 4-legged mammal, probably a black bear

Staying at Pioneer RV Park--30 amps, FHU, good WIFI, good cable TV, very full, suggest you reserve ahead
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 10:02:14 PM »
June 13      Day 27   Whitehorse, YT

We have been getting up early, so we decided to sleep in.  But...We awakened to the sound of chirping, and it wasn't birds--it was our phones.  Electricity was going on and off, until it finally stayed off completely.  Power was restored 30 minutes later.

Today we went to the Beringia Interpretive Centre, our favorite attraction when we stayed here for 10 days in 2009.  Admission was $5 x 2 for seniors, and well worth it.  They have added a whole new wing since we were last here, and we were the only people there from 11-1. 

I had taught my sixth graders and third graders about the "land bridge", but I had no idea that this land mass was the size of the 48 United States and was a flat plain never covered by glaciers.  It had plentiful grasses and very few trees, so it was like a grocery store for mammoths, bison, sloths, sheep, goats, caribou, and short-faced bears.  These in turn were a food source for LIONS, yes lions, which were the most numerous predators.

We viewed exhibits and then saw a 17-minute film explaining Beringia that had been made specifically for the museum.  We went to lunch at nearby Airport Chalet--Dean had a hamburger and coffee, and I had the cheapest meal on the menu, perogies with tap water to drink.  It cost $30.  Everything was tasty. 

We returned to the museum in time for their National Geographic film about Beringia, which focused more on the animals and less on its creation.  They had a multitude of fossils that have been discovered by placer miners when mining using high-pressure water on the sides of cliffs.  They are mining for gold, silver, copper, and tungsten.

We pretended we were hunters and used the atlatl, a spear-throwing tool.  Dean excelled (Picture 1), and in 2 tries almost hit the bison.  He threw it with enough force that it stuck in the ground.  (Picture 2) We would not have starved with such a skilled hunter.  Mine came close to the rabbits in the foreground, but they flopped.  I would merely have tickled the rabbit.

Yesterday, we went to Extra Foods, only to find that it closed at 9:00, and it was then 9:20.  We found them to be the best grocery when we were here before, so we returned today to buy fresh produce.  Walmart didn't carry groceries in '09, so we didn't try them.

Last night, we went to the Yukon Movie Theatre and saw "Internship", which we both really enjoyed.  On the way home, we stopped at the bald eagles' nest because it was the perfect time (they are usually home from 9-11, based on past experience).  No eagles on the cliff, lightposts, flying over the Yukon River, or in the nest!  We returned today and again scoured the scenery, but we found no sign of them. (Picture 3) We did see a TV camera, and it may be new.  We'll check again on our trip home.

Population in Whitehorse has gone from 34,000 in 2009 to 36,000 in 2012.  I looked this up because I see so much construction going on, many new buildings and remodeled buildings, making the town look much nicer.

At the Beringia Centre, I asked the guide about the difference between a territory and a province.  He said that the federal government gives territories a LOT of money, subsidizing many programs.  They only get one member of Parliament.  Whitehorse is the capitol of the Yukon, and they have a government building, which we will visit on our return.

Staying at Pioneer RV Park--30 amps (sometimes), FHU, good WIFI, good cable TV, very full, suggest you reserve ahead

Postscript:  I had finished my posting, e-mails, bills, etc., and settled down for TV & dinner at 9:00, and there on TV was my eagle nest!  Inside it were 3 eggs, and the narrator said they are expected to hatch any day now.  Mama is turning them and active.  I want to go to it again and see if we can see anything.  The camera is new--just put up a few weeks ago by Yukon Electrical.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:18:13 PM by Dean & Linda Stock »
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 11:48:19 PM »
Linda and Dean,

What a neat experience you had with the Tlingits!  Thanks for sharing it with us.  The part about the banner being turned, hiring another clan, and the potlatch were really interesting.  I had heard the word potlatch but didn't know anything about it.

Those carvings are something else!  I also think #4 is best.  Such detail!

Also I suspect more things will be open after June 15th.  You're still a few days early!  It sounds like the Beringia center's new section is worth visiting.  I thought the whole place was fascinating!

ArdraF
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:50:57 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2013, 01:12:49 AM »
June 14      Day 28   Tok, Alaska

We drove 396 hard miles.  The road from Whitehorse to Haines Junction was average, with a dense carpet of magenta wildflowers, lavender lupine, and bright yellow daisy-like flowers lining the roadside. 

After Haines Junction, the road became rugged with lots of significant frostheaves that would launch you an inch off your seat--very much like riding a bucking bronco, even though we had seatbelts on.  I asked Dean to slow down from his pre-set 61-mph when my neck ached and our house-sized side-by-side refrigerator broke loose from its mooring, rolling into the kitchen cabinetry with a crash.  We stopped at the next parking area and put a block between the refrigerator and the cabinets.  It won't be an easy fix. 

Dean did bring his speed down to 45 mph, but it is not an experience I want to repeat, even at that speed.  I will be looking at changing that part of the itinerary for our return home trip.  I know I'm a tenderfoot (or in this case, a tenderneck), but I think the RVers who were passing us, even when we were doing 61 mph, are certifiably crazy. 

I think the Yukon Highway Department fixes the most-traveled roads first, and this one is a low priority and has not been repaired.  We did see road repair equipment, so maybe in a few weeks it will be better.

Going through the border was simple--5 minutes.  The only thing the officer wanted to see was our tomatoes, and they passed inspection.  He also asked about citrus and apples. 

However, the people in the park next to us are from Florida, and they had a 5-hour ORDEAL at Niagara Falls.  The officers unbolted the bed in their Prevost coach, pulled out all the drawers, looked on the bottom of them, (if there'd been a gun on the underside, the drawer wouldn't have been able to be pulled out), took out screwdrivers and unscrewed things, searched everything thoroughly, then brought in their dog.  They did body searches, and the lady, who is quite overweight, said they kept poking her fat abdomen (as if she could hide anything there), and even went between her butt cheeks.  The man said that he did have an authorized gun with permit, which he readily showed them, but they were convinced that they had other guns.  He had mailed 2 guns to friends in Alaska, will pick them up there and carry them, and will send them home before he leaves the USA. When they get home, they are going to a lawyer.  They were in their late 60's and white.  They said there were kids with large backpacks that they didn't search, and there were Arabs with turbans, and they didn't look inside the turbans, or anywhere else on them.  She said it was so humiliating to be searched to out in the open with all these people looking on.  So, just because we had it easy, don't be tempted to bring in a gun.

On the US side the road was initially glasslike smooth, and they marked several small "rough" spots that were nothing.  We are so glad to be back in the US.  We now have good roads (so far), a beautiful RV park that's rated by Good Sam as the best in Alaska, and we can use our Verizon cellphones for no extra per minute charge.  Life is good!

We left at 8:30 and arrived in Tok at 6:00 (our time), 5:00 (Alaskan time).  Dean was going to grill salmon on a cedar plank, but he was tired after the rigorous drive.  After a brief rest, we went to Fast Eddie's Restaurant right next door.  We had a memorable meal there in '09, and I remembered hearing how good their pizza was.  This time I had their special, a huge (they called it the small size) 9-oz. prime rib, baked potato, and unlimited salad bar.  I only got one plate but I remembered how crisp and fresh it was from last time, and it didn't disappoint.  They have a nice variety of salads.  Dean ordered a coke and medium pizza, and we have plenty of leftovers for a meal tomorrow.  We both thought our meals were excellent.  The bill was $40.49.

If we had realized that we had gained an hour, we would have eaten right away because the park has a free evening music program at 7:00 that is popular.

We remembered that the prices at Village Gas were the best on the highway in '09.  I think our park has purchased it because they have lots of signs encouraging you to go there.  The Shell next door is a known brand, and it has the same price, $4.42/gallon, which is the best we've seen in a long, long time.

The weather today was gorgeous.  It's time to get out the mosquito repellent.

We will be washing our car and RV at the park, $6.50 for the car and $15 for the motorhome.

Wildlife: 2 white swans in a lake, and 2 loons in a large pond.

Staying at Tok RV Village--50 amps, FHU, nice managers, trees, 2 one-hour tickets for WiFi, Cable TV  $47.28, rated the highest of all Alaskan parks by Good Sam
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:48:24 AM by Dean & Linda Stock »
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2013, 10:13:31 AM »
That's the piece of road we avoided on our trip Linda. We had information from Marsha here on the Forum that they had an awful time driving that section of road. It sounds like they haven't gotten around to working on it yet. 

And I feel for the Florida couple. Some of the customs agents have such a warped paranoia of someone trying to "smuggle" a handgun into Canada that they just go off the charts with their investigations. Because you never know, a older couple from Florida just may snap and go all "Bonnie and Clyde" while passing through Canada! 
Marty--

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2013, 11:09:34 AM »

And I feel for the Florida couple. Some of the customs agents have such a warped paranoia of someone trying to "smuggle" a handgun into Canada that they just go off the charts with their investigations. Because you never know, a older couple from Florida just may snap and go all "Bonnie and Clyde" while passing through Canada!

I like your sense of humor. This lady is a published author, and she is writing a log of this trip for her friends. She said she wrote a humorous piece about the experience for family, but she doesn't have the words to describe factually how emotionally devastating the episode was.  She had a hard time telling us about it without crying.  Somehow, I think she'll come up with the words before she reaches her lawyer's office.  Her husband was just plain furious--and that's what I would have been.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2013, 11:32:18 AM »
Hi Linda,  It's fun following your travel.  Last year we had rain...rain...and more rain. 

Ahhhhh, Fast Eddies.....great pizza.  We got a large, ate some of it along with a salad and then finished it off for the next several days.  It's delicious. 

Keep the journal coming!

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
Linda, I'm assuming this was Canada Customs entering Canada from the lower U.S.  There's no way I'd ever carry a gun into Canada!  I'm guessing Florida plates didn't help their situation either.  You know, those wild white-haired people down there!  ::)

ArdraF
ArdraF

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2013, 10:45:22 PM »

June 15      Day 29   Fairbanks, Alaska

We had a pretty easy 203-mile drive with a few bumpy areas that were short and not big bumps, nothing like yesterday.

I gave misinformation in an earlier post. I figured that someone had spilled something on the road that the caribou were going after.  Wrong.  The highway department mixes salt with sand in the winter to provide better traction.  The sand blows away, leaving the salt on the roadway.  So, the asphalt is like a salt lick!  No wonder the caribou were insisting on returning to the road after each vehicle went by.

We were quite warm.  So we stopped at a shop we enjoyed in '09, the Knotty Shop, 35 miles east of Fairbanks.  There's a coupon on Page 225 of the Milepost for a free ice cream cone.  We each got a cup of rocky road, and it hit the spot.  They have interesting and different souvenirs made of burled wood.  I'll post our picture later, but it is a cute, creative shop.

It's 7:00 PM.   The temperature is a humid 88F.  Dean was tuckered out, so he went to bed, and I'm going to the shower.

Electronics:  I can talk on my Verizon phone with no problem.  I can't seem to access data, which I am entitled to unlimited usage.  I can't update my aps.  The park limits us to 700 "mg" per 24-hour period, but neither Dean or our son has ever heard of a measurement of this type, so I'm going to post and do e-mails until it kicks me off.  I really want to check on my bald eaglets in Whitehorse.  They have hatched and seem strong.  I just googled "Whitehorse eagle cam", and it came right up.

Wildlife: 1 moose cow in profile head up munching on bushes, 1 tiny rabbit

Staying at River's Edge RV Park--50 amps, FHU, VERY tight and short, Dean had to unhook to position the RV and is quite concerned about hitting a tree when exiting--only 50 amp park in Fairbanks, 2nd choice was Rivers View, but it is 17-miles outside of town  $42.25 with Good Sam
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »
Hi Linda,  It's fun following your travel.  Last year we had rain...rain...and more rain. 

Ahhhhh, Fast Eddies.....great pizza.  We got a large, ate some of it along with a salad and then finished it off for the next several days.  It's delicious. 

Marsha~

Marsha, I think of you every time we see a moose.  We had 13 straight days of rain, and now we are having sun, sun, and more sun, almost too much sun.  88 at 7:00 tonight, tomorrow 90, 82 Monday, 88 Tuesday and 90 when we leave.  I'm sure all the 'squitoes have hatched and are waiting their Linda banquet.  We'll have rain in Valdez, Homer, and the rainforest.  But, I'm enjoying the sunshine while we have it.

Dean is devastated.  He ordered a medium pizza, anticipating all the leftovers, and he left it on the table.  He was ill at the thought of that good pizza being thrown away.  So, I'm not going to even mention that you thought it was delicious, too.  We're supposed to go through Tok on our way home, and if we do, we'll stop again at Fast Eddie's and get another one.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2013, 10:56:10 PM »
Linda, I'm assuming this was Canada Customs entering Canada from the lower U.S.  There's no way I'd ever carry a gun into Canada!  I'm guessing Florida plates didn't help their situation either.  You know, those wild white-haired people down there!  ::)

ArdraF

In fairness, I should say that the Canadians did offer to reassemble their RV, but they just wanted to get out of there after 5 hours of detention.  The man did say that the Customs officers were just sure he had an unauthorized gun.  However, I do think they should not have "patted them down" in full view of everyone.  I think it should have been handled more sensitively without compromising their investigation, and hopefully, their lawsuit or complaint will bring about some revisions.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2013, 11:15:18 PM »
Sarge,  didn't you take the Whitehorse, YK to Tok, AK via Haines Junction, YK into Alaska?  That road and the Top of The World road from Dawson (If I'm remembering correctly) are the only roads into Tok.  We decided we did not want to take the TOW road because of all the rain and were so glad we didn't take it. 

Linda, I was driving when we left Haines Junction toward Klune Lake then on into Tok and hit all the pot-holes and rough road you encountered.  I swerved all over the road trying to miss big pot holes and washboard going only 15- 20 miles an hour.  On the way out of Tok heading back toward Haines Junction on the return, the road was much better; but we were covered with tons of dust with long stretches of it.

I know you want to bypass that bad section near Haines Junction on your return; but the only other way to get back to Whithorse, YK is through Chicken and then on into Dawson then down to Whitehorse.  That is the Top of the World road has some dirt sections between Dawson and Chicken.  That's the road Sarge and I avoided.

Keep the posts coming.  I'm sad to hear Dean left the pizza on the counter!

Marsha~

Henry Wishard

• ---
  • Gone Crazy*** Be Back Soon
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 01:20:01 AM »
You guys are about to catch up with us. We left Fairbanks yesterday and arrived at Denali Nat'l Park. Had no space for us until Sunday. I would call ahead if you are wanting to stay inside the park . We are staying 2 nights at $14.00 each on that old senior card Ha! I sure could use some pizza tonight,I guess the 3 flavors of fudge will have to suffice.
   We are at the Denali RV Park about 8-10 miles before the entrance Of Denali Nat'l Park. Already tripped our 30 amp twice tonight. 
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 09:42:38 AM »
Yeah, that's the way we went Marsha. We just avoided that one bad stretch that you went through. We specifically avoided TOW highway in the rig. Then about a week later a guy rolled his rig off a road up there due to a soft shoulder.
Marty--

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2013, 09:53:11 AM »
Hi Sarge, how did you miss that stretch of bad road?

Marsha~

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 09:56:39 AM »
We decided on not going to Haines Marsha. We did Scagway, but skipped Haines.
Marty--

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2013, 10:23:12 AM »
Ah...we did Skagway to Haines.  That road was great.  But the Haines Junction to Tok was a mess.

I am sure reliving our Alaska trip via all these Alaskan logs...fun to recall stuff.

Marsha~

SaltyAdventurer

• ---
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2013, 12:15:15 PM »
Love reading your posts, guys!  For anyone who's even thinking about the TOW road and going through Chicken, then down, we've just heard from other friends who are ahead of us that the road yesterday and the day before was ghastly!!! And I mean REALLY bad, from all the rain etc.  Also heard from friends that the road from Haines Junction was torn up, with 22km of construction, using pilot cars to lead long lines of traffic through in single lanes...our friend said the posted speed limit was 30 mph (50 km/h) but the pilot car leading them through awful gravel and mud was going 40 mph...our friend refused to take his 40 ft rig any faster than 30 and the leader apparently got quite irritated about it. Sounds bad either way.
Klondike Susie aka Salty Adventurer
2013 Itasca Reyo (25', no toad)
Married to oldedit
Resides in Denver CO area & Silverthorne CO

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »
Love reading your posts, guys!  For anyone who's even thinking about the TOW road and going through Chicken, then down, we've just heard from other friends who are ahead of us that the road yesterday and the day before was ghastly!!! And I mean REALLY bad, from all the rain etc.  Also heard from friends that the road from Haines Junction was torn up, with 22km of construction, using pilot cars to lead long lines of traffic through in single lanes...our friend said the posted speed limit was 30 mph (50 km/h) but the pilot car leading them through awful gravel and mud was going 40 mph...our friend refused to take his 40 ft rig any faster than 30 and the leader apparently got quite irritated about it. Sounds bad either way.

When Dean and I drove the TOTW highway in '09, it was the WORST driving experience I've ever had.  Not only was the road terrible, but the scenery that had been described as beautiful was mostly dead spruce trees.  Our RV suffered terribly.  The dust is so fine it got into our GPS, requiring replacement.  The entire interior of the coach was covered in gritty dust.  The steps were caked with stuff, and Dean has worked hard repeatedly on them--they've never been the same.  But, the worst of all, was that they put a chemical on that is supposed to keep dust down (or so they tell me), and that chemical was carried by that superfine dust into the coach and burned the inside of my throat, mouth, lungs, and eyes.  That had to be unhealthy!  I would do ANYTHING to avoid that again--even walk it (and I have arthritis, so it would be painful).  We've been told that if you hit it right after the grader has gone through, it is much better.  We must have hit it right before they were ready to grade it again.  Lest you think our coach is easily penetrated, we do not get cold air coming through cracks on wintery nights, and we're "weatherproofed" according to Airstream.  I agree with your friend who drove Haines.  Let them yell at me.  I'm the one who has to  pay for the repairs to my coach and my body.  If he wants to pick up the tab, I'll reconsider.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2013, 01:28:02 PM »
We decided on not going to Haines Marsha. We did Scagway, but skipped Haines.

Thanks, Sarge.  We're going to be taking a good long look at alternatives, and it's nice to have a suggested route.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2013, 01:44:30 PM »

I am sure reliving our Alaska trip via all these Alaskan logs...fun to recall stuff.

Marsha~

Marsha, did you catch that SaltyAdventurer's friend saw a BULL moose and got pictures????  I've never seen one in the wild, and getting a picture is like winning an Oscar.  I did inquire at the Fairbanks VC about concentrations, and she said she'd lived here a year and only seen one.  Not good.  But, I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Hosted by Over The Network