EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: looking for campsite to work at  (Read 2025 times)

kohvakc

• ---
  • living the dream......
looking for campsite to work at
« on: May 22, 2013, 07:23:53 AM »
Hi. Me and my wife and 2 kids are looking to workcamp this summer. We are leaving our old lives behind the beginning of June. Very nervous but excited. My kids are 14 and 15. Don't know what to expect. I just want to be able to have the last couple years with them home to be remember able.  I am a disabled VET. Any ideas or advice would be great.
2012 F-250 XLT
1975 25' Prowler
Wife 2 kids 2 dogs and me.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: looking for campsite to work at
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:42:22 AM »
Join workamper.com, both to find positions and learn about workamping from those who do it all the time

We did it for 7 years and enjoyed it immensely, but have met others who did nothing but complain about the work required. Guess they just wanted the free camping part!

The best advice I can give is to make sure you thoroughly understand what work is expected of you (hours and types of tasks) and what remuneration you will receive. Ask a lot questions of the campground owner - do not assume anything!  Also ask the campground about state and federal taxes on the remuneration - the tax rules have a lot of gray areas and depends a lot on how the campground defines the job. Some campgrounds will withhold taxes just like regular wages, while others do not and let you and the IRS sort it out.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

smittythebear

• ---
  • It's not a trip without a U-turn!
    • Campground Hosting
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 09:08:31 PM »
My partner and I have workamped for the past 3 years at two places in Florida.  We loved it.  The duties do vary by campground.  I agree, workamper.com is a great resource for locations each month.  I do know of a couple of places that always are looking for camphosts - I worked at one and want to work at the other.  One that I worked at is the Osceola National Forest just outside of Lake City in Northern Florida.  Nice campground out in the middle of no-where.  The other is the  Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge in Folkston, Georgia.  I have never worked there, but it's a nice park.  Good luck to you.  Let me know if you need any more info on either of these.
Susan and Vicki - Teachers on the road!
Daisy, Teddy and Jasmine, the Adventure Dog
Sprite (the cat with a plan)
2004 Gulfstream Friendship G7

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:07:46 PM »
I would check into VFW posts. Many have RV parks and almost all will let you park overnight. I have seen some that had a vet that managed the park for free rent. Do not be afaid to ask anywhere you stay or if you see a place you want to volunteer. The worst they can do is say no. Both volunteer oppoutunities I have had were because I asked.   
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, half poodle-- half garbage disposal
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

gmsboss1

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »
We stayed at Jim & Mary's Campground in Missoula, MT, over the weekend.  They have a sign posted on the office door looking for workcampers for the rest of the year.

Sorry, that's all the information I have as we were on our way to our workcamping job in West Yellowstone and weren't interested.

Good Luck!

Don
Don and Mary Ann (Pelicanlady) Nesbitt
Cary, NC
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40X
2012 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 Hemi Toad
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away!

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 12:01:34 AM »
We stayed at Jim & Mary's Campground in Missoula, MT, over the weekend.  They have a sign posted on the office door looking for workcampers for the rest of the year.

Hey, You are in Montana!    :)
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Hosted by Over The Network