looking for campsite to work at

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kohvakc

Hi. Me and my wife and 2 kids are looking to workcamp this summer. We are leaving our old lives behind the beginning of June. Very nervous but excited. My kids are 14 and 15. Don't know what to expect. I just want to be able to have the last couple years with them home to be remember able.  I am a disabled VET. Any ideas or advice would be great.

Join workamper.com, both to find positions and learn about workamping from those who do it all the time

We did it for 7 years and enjoyed it immensely, but have met others who did nothing but complain about the work required. Guess they just wanted the free camping part!

The best advice I can give is to make sure you thoroughly understand what work is expected of you (hours and types of tasks) and what remuneration you will receive. Ask a lot questions of the campground owner - do not assume anything!  Also ask the campground about state and federal taxes on the remuneration - the tax rules have a lot of gray areas and depends a lot on how the campground defines the job. Some campgrounds will withhold taxes just like regular wages, while others do not and let you and the IRS sort it out.

My partner and I have workamped for the past 3 years at two places in Florida.  We loved it.  The duties do vary by campground.  I agree, workamper.com is a great resource for locations each month.  I do know of a couple of places that always are looking for camphosts - I worked at one and want to work at the other.  One that I worked at is the Osceola National Forest just outside of Lake City in Northern Florida.  Nice campground out in the middle of no-where.  The other is the  Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge in Folkston, Georgia.  I have never worked there, but it's a nice park.  Good luck to you.  Let me know if you need any more info on either of these.

I would check into VFW posts. Many have RV parks and almost all will let you park overnight. I have seen some that had a vet that managed the park for free rent. Do not be afaid to ask anywhere you stay or if you see a place you want to volunteer. The worst they can do is say no. Both volunteer oppoutunities I have had were because I asked. 

We stayed at Jim & Mary's Campground in Missoula, MT, over the weekend.  They have a sign posted on the office door looking for workcampers for the rest of the year.

Sorry, that's all the information I have as we were on our way to our workcamping job in West Yellowstone and weren't interested.

Good Luck!

Don

gmsboss1 said:
We stayed at Jim & Mary's Campground in Missoula, MT, over the weekend.  They have a sign posted on the office door looking for workcampers for the rest of the year.

Hey, You are in Montana!    :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom