25 foot 5th wheel....2 teenagers 2 dogs the wife and me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kohvakc

We purchased our 1975 5th wheel 2 months ago and have been working at getting it on the road. I bought it for $850.00 on the internet. I have had to gut almost everything due to rotted wood. I am not unhappy because I only spent $850.00. Lowes has gotten most of my money these last 2 months. The fun we have had as a family redoing the trailer has been priceless. We are taking off the beginning of June when the kids get out of school. My wife is quitting her job from the school. I am 100% disabled from the army so I think with my money we should be okay. We have sold all our household stuff. It is amazing the amount of crap you collect over the years. We are very nervous about this venture but I think it is going to be a good decision. Our kids are about grown up so we only have a couple more years before they will be out on their own. I got a call back from a campground that wants us to come and work for the summer, I think that will help us to get our feet wet.

Big step and a bunch of people for a 2 footer, but you learn to make do with the space you have...

Enjoy and have a great summer, the kids will love it!

Good Luck and safe travels...

Jim

Wigpro said:
Big step and a bunch of people for a 2 footer...

I think he said it was a 25 footer.  ;D

I am super excited for you!  You don't say... but I hope you are otherwise debt free.  It sounds like a great plan. Several times in my life I have sold and given away all my belongings in order to pursue a different lifestyle.  There is a certain freedom in letting go of all that junk!  It feels GREAT!

I am envious that your whole family worked together rebuilding the RV. I'm in an old motorhome and it's an ongoing project I love.

There are so many awesomely beautiful parks to visit, many you will qualify for the half price discount, so it makes it even more affordable. If you travel with the weather, then you can set up den and dining outdoors under the awning and have plenty of extra room. 

You might enjoy hanging some bicycles off the rear of the trailer, another great way to enjoy this beautiful planet.

Workamping is an adventure all its own. I workamp part of the year to help stretch the wallet.

Good luck in your new adventure!

Sounds like an exciting journey you're setting out on. Be sure to check this article in our library for info on camping discounts. As a 100% SC vet, you qualify for some pretty nice discounts. And be sure to get the America the Beautiful Access pass which gets you into National Parks for free and provides discounts at many federal campgrounds.

Enjoy your adventure
Wendy

Thank you so very much for the info.  :) . Only 1 week 2 days till take off. Still making last minute fixes. It seems like it will not ever be done.  But, I love it

I know just how you feel.  We just sold off or otherwise got rid of the vast majority of or junk and have Ben living in our rv full time for a couple of weeks. It's very freeing and I was surprised how fast this became "home".  Have an awesome time!

kohvakc, I sure hope you do a blog or updates here on this forum to keep us all posted on your adventures.  I'm really curious about the challenges that you'll run into and how you'll resolve those challenges.

Wishing you and your family the best of luck and much success in your journeys.

JC

Some VFW posts have RV hookups and others will let you park in the lot.  I have done it a lot to keep costs down.  I envy you the time you get to spend with yuor kids.  Mine were not travelers when younger and are grown now.

The Elks Lodge and many of the Moose Lodge also have RV hook ups at a very affordable cost....if they charge at all.  Some have full hookups and some just have a dump station while others are pretty much just parked in their parking lot.

We are here at our last weekend in a stick. I cant believe how far we have come in putting our 5th together.  The flooring is about it. Some minor touch ups and that is that. I wish I had some pics of it before. I'll post some this weekend. I am so thankful for all of your advise and well wishes. SO Excited!!!! Have a great Friday everyone.

Oh woooow!  My husband and I started off in a fifth wheel that was about 26' long.  I'll spare you my story and wish you and your family well in your new adventure.  Just one thing, if at first you don't succeed, you may need a bigger unit!  ;D  Good luck, have fun and I can't wait to read about your travels and adventures!  Yay!

Well......we left our workamping position a couple days ago.  We really loved working for the husband I'll leave it at that. The time there was very interesting the kids got to experience very cool things ( kayaking paddle boating fishing). The customers for the most part were the best. I wish I had gotten some contact info from them. We left there and spent a night in a Walmart parking lot.  We found a nice little campground thanks to free camping . net.  Stayed there 2 nights. Very relaxing peaceful.  Went to mall of America.  That was way cool, wish we had more funding.  But hay it's all good.  I like to say this " it all works out till ya die".... Life no matter where you are or what you are doing has ups and downs.  Life is never picture perfect no. You just have to keep working it out. Look for the happy in everything.  We had to spend the night here in a mall parking lot do to a tire blow out. Sears will help you out with trailer tires. Would have loved to use firestone ( have credit with them) but here the employee thought it would be to hard to do his job.....  :-[.... loving and living life with the greatest family ever...... lets see what today brings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom