On ground towable vechiles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bianchi50

Did a bit of research, looks like the Honda CVR, Jeep, and Ford suv with v8 are towable on the ground

I would also asume any stick in a car is, any others to consider, perhaps Subaru ?

Also recomendations that would attach to car and hitch up to a 3rd class hitch on RV

Much appreciated

There are many, many more choices than that, nor are ALL Jeeps and Ford SUVs towable (though most are). And while most manual transmission are towable 4-down,  again not all will be (a few front drive sticks rely on hydraulic cooling just like automatics do). And you cannot generalize by model - sometimes one year is towable and another is not, or one engine/tranny configuration is towable and others not. There are just too many factors to make any general statements.

Most automatic transmission vehicles with a 4WD transfer case that includes a neutral are towable without mods. Some AWD are towable, and a fair number 2WD (front or rear) are towable as well. You might want to check the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guides for possible choices.
http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

There are also ways to modify a vehicle for towing for around $1000. It involves adding either a transmission lube pump or a driveshaft disconnect.

My suggestion is that you determine the type and size vehicle you prefer, and then look/ask for years and models that meet that criteria.

^^^Agree with Gary.  Chcek make and model specific information rather than generalize.  Most Jeep models are but there are two-wheel drive Wranglers that are not and some with the more sophisticated all-wheel drive systems are not flat-towable.

Also, just because a vehicle has a manual transmission doesn't mean it is towable, many of the newer manual transmissions are not towable due to the lube pump being run off of either the input shaft or the countershaft rather than the older "slinger" style non-pump style transmissions.

Mike

Gary~Mike appreciate your input.. I was aware that not every Jeep in there line up is towable. Should not have generalized by using just a name.

Gary ~ thanks for the link.

I was recently reading where Consumer Reports panned Jeeps, Do not  know what model but they said things like excessive road noise at freeway speeds, hard to get in and out of and so on.

Well, Enterprise put me in a Jeep Patroit this weekend for my wife's funeral and doctor's appointments and assorted running around like a headless chicken

I'm 6'3 by 313 pounds as of Last Friday 8am (I did mention doctors right, Oh by the way, routine checkup, nothing special).

I can get in and out of this puppy easily, I have 4" of headroom to spare once inside (or more, with of my closed fist).

Road noise.. Not bad at all, I like Classical music, Detroit has a 12 hour a day classical station (other 12 it's Jazz) and I had it at a comfortable level parked, DID not turn up on freeway.

Comfortable. However it would be better with the optional 6way power seat (it came with the manual, my legs are longer than my arms so I'm about 2" too far from the steering wheel for max comfort)

Radio (Basic) has genuine knobs and buttons, No stupid distracting dangerous touch screens.

Th ere is one and only one reason I do not WANT ONE!!!.  Full time 4 wheel drive with electronic couplers.. Not sure I can tow it 4 down..

Oh there is one other reason butr hey, Money IS an object.  very nice car however, I'm going to have enterprise list is as my favorite ride to date.

A primary rule for most of us who tow cars is to find one we like and then read the manual for that specific car.  That model's manual is the only reliable way to know if a car is towable or not.  Furthermore, most car salespeople don't have a clue about towing and will tell you that it's towable when they really don't know.  You have to do your own research.  Gary and Mike both gave you good advice.  Annual towing guides are published by both Motorhome magazine and the Family Motor Coaching magazine and they're a good place to start for new cars.  For older models you have to find previous years of the towing guides.

ArdraF

Radio (Basic) has genuine knobs and buttons, No stupid distracting dangerous touch screens.

Now there's a novel idea!  Wouldn't it be nice if they'd get rid of those stupid touch screens.  The only time we operate the motorhome radio is when it's at home and I'm cleaning so want some music.  Way too complex to use when driving.  And it's not even touch screen, just too complex.

ArdraF

I wouldn't get too upset about the Consumer Reports rating for a Jeep. It's in the SUV category and doesn't compare well to a Ford SUV. Take the Ford over Poison Spider (medium difficulty trail in Moab) and see how it compares after you finish (If you finish).

Ernie

I found that the 4 wheel drive GMC Terrain Denali is towable.  It's a nice looking car and big enough for us.  That was the 2013.  The reports I read said don't assume because it was towable 4 down last year that it is this, they keep changing them.

Back
Top Bottom