Calagary to Bannff, Lake Louise, Glacier NP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bianchi50

Plan on flying into Calagary and renting an RV to see Bannff, Lake Louise, Glacier NP and returning to Calagary. Have two weeks in July.. Any recomendations as to where to spent our nights. What must be seen while at those locations. What to expect to pay for fuel.

Much appreciated

We drove from Calgary to the National Park campgroung in Lake Louise and used it as a base to travel back to Banff, up to the ice fields, and all around Lake Louise.  We were there in June, so we didn't look into reservations, which might be good idea for July.  Take the time to explore all over, we like the trail to behind Lake Louise.
    As for gas, we filled in Calgary and then in Edmonton.

Ed

When going from Banff to Glacier, don't go back to all the way to Calgary but halfway between Banff and Calgary turn south on the #40 into Kananaskis country. This is the place where we Albertans go to escape the tourists  :) ;) :mad:  so this is an inside tip!

You will definitely want to stay at one of the campgrounds in Kananaskis, maybe Mt Kidd RV Park, then head over the Highwood pass (541)back to the #2 and follow that south. Also make sure to spend a day or two in Waterton National Park, the Canadian part  of the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park". From there you can take the shortcut on the #6 to the border and Glacier.

Enjoy this beautiful part of my province!

Elly

An absolute "must do" along the Icefields Parkway is to take a specially designed snowcoach out onto the glacier.  It's an amazing experience.

You're going to an area of stunning beauty.  Don't forget your camera!

ArdraF

I just drove from Kalispell Montana to Alaska and went through Edmonton and on up the Alaska Highway...I typically paid from $4.6860 to $5.33 and $5.5220 per gallon for regular unleaded. I didn't record the price per liter, I recorded the converted amount to remain consistent in my spreadsheet, I built in the conversion factor for liters to gallons but NOT the currency conversion as it is almost PAR and I used a credit card and got whacked an exchange fee by my bank, but it wasn't much....BTW it was a Visa Debit card and was accepted almost everywhere, but I carried enough Canadian cash for a few very remote areas which you won't have to worry about. But I only had one place that didn't take cards and most were at the pump, so easy. As I recall the price per liter was in the neighborhood of $1.02 to $1.12 or so....sounded cheap until you realize there are 4 liters to a gallon.

The formula is: 1 liter = .264172 gallons so the formula is Price per liter / divided by .264172 = Price per gallon.

Liters used is: liters used * times .264172 = Gallons used.

Several years ago I took the ferry from my home in Ketchikan, Alaska to Prince Rupert then the train from Prince Rupert for a two day ride to Jasper, where a friend met me from Montana and we traveled that area, you will be amazed at the beauty....enjoy your vacation.

Enjoy,

Jim

Alas, the price  of gasoline in Alberta is no longer $1.02 but it is now $ 1.25.  I don't now if you are from Europe but that would be  93 euro cents per liter, which is just about exactly half of the cost of gasoline in Holland today.
So since there are 3.78541 liters in a gallon the price is now $4.73 CAD per gallon ($1.25 * 3.78541). But in Holland the gas right now costs $2.33 per liter or $ 8.82 per US gallon!!

If you are from Europe you will laugh as you fill up your tank here, even in Canada!

But it will be a lot more expensive inside the parks, so gas up in Canmore before you go into Banff National Park!

Elly

When we were there in 2010 we stayed at a campground in Canmore, right off the highway. Nice park for what we wanted. As you travel the Icefields Parkway, be sure to stop at Athabasca Falls. I may have spelled it wrong but it is the most majestic waterfall area I have ever seen.

Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom