2014 New Years Rally at Catalina State Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken & Sheila

Site Team
2014 New Years Rally at Catalina State Park ? 7th Annual

Catalina State Park is in the Oro Valley just North of Tucson.

Most folks arrive a day or two after Christmas and leave January 1st or 2nd but some will be there before Christmas and some will stay later. As usual this is a casual rally with most activities planned by the group at happy hour. We usually have a few meals out and a few ?field trips?. Happy hour will be every day weather permitting. Activities often start on Christmas Day for the few of us that are there.

We are in site B33 which will be the site of the happy hour. This is on the south side of the Campground B. All sites have 50amp power and water. There two dump stations: one just after the Check-In Booth and the second is in campground B.

Reservations at: http://azstateparks.com/Parks/CATA/index.html or by phone (520) 586-2283.
CORRECTION on Rates
Cost of the park is $25.00 per night W/E (50amp) for campground B for December dates. January dates for loop B are $30.00 per night. Campground A (30 amp) is still $25 for all dates from what I can tell without making a reservation. I assume those of us that signed up and paid last year at the old $25 rate will not not have to pay the increase for January dates.
There is a $5.00 non-refundable reservation fee.

If you plan to attend I would reserve early or at least periodically check the park reservation system to see what the availability is for the dates you want.

Catalina State Park sits at the base of the Catalina Mountains. The park has nearly 5,000 saguaros as well as many other desert plants. You can hike into the mountains. There is a relatively easy hike that has become a tradition for New Years Day. You can also take a beautiful hike up to the Romero Pools ? but I do mean UP. The park is also home to many varieties of birds.

Just outside the entrance to the park is a new shopping center with many store and several restaurants ? including Olive garden and Red Lobster.  Also in this plaza is a multi-plex theater. We often go to several shows. There is also more shopping just a few miles south on Oracle Rd.

But inside the park at the campground you are unaware of the outside world ? it is nearby, but far enough away to allow for a peaceful setting with beautiful mountain views.

If you make reservations please post them here in this topic so I can keep a list. 

Ken & Sheila

Looks like the park is filling up! We have never been to this part of Arizona, how so it for dogs? We travel with two Newfs and wondering if they would be able to hike without getting cactus barbs in their paws!

Brewers will be there in same spot as last year, B 35.  We arrive 12/27/13 and leave 1/3/14.

Terry and Betty

bobcat12 said:
Looks like the park is filling up! We have never been to this part of Arizona, how so it for dogs? We travel with two Newfs and wondering if they would be able to hike without getting cactus barbs in their paws!

Assuming you keep them on the trails there should be no problem. Per the website, Catalina welcomes leashed dogs on all trails.

Hope you can join us.

ken

Jennifer and Dan will be in B21, arriving Dec. 27 and departing Jan. 1. 

Jennifer

Laurie and I are discussing this as a possible activity over the holidays. Will know more in about 10 days if it's possible. Sure would be fun to see you again.

BTW, Ken do we have a chance of seeing you in Rochester around the 4th?

Thanks Ken,

Long story but to make it short, Dan's Mother was terminally ill for over 2 years and we moved her local so spent lots of time with her.  His Dad lived in MO and sick also but healthier.  Trying to spend time with him plus his Mother took all our time. Both died last year.  Dan is still working so not a lot of spare time.

We are just now getting back to RVing.  Weekends in the high country for now.

Jennifer

Chet,

Hope you can make it to Catalina.

The 4th around Rochester might work. We were planning on going through Canada from Port Huron all the way to Cornwall, NY before dropping down to head into Vermont, but I'll look at alternatives routes and the timing. Right now we are still working on getting to Chicago from Colorado and staying away from the Tornadoes.

I'll be in touch.

ken

The Sherows will be attending again this year and situated in the same site as last year, whatever # that was.

AZ Randy1 said:
The Sherows will be attending again this year and situated in the same site as last year, whatever # that was.

Randy,
You just want me to work. VBG
Someday I get to starting a list - soon.

Glad you can make it again.

ken

Ray and Liza are doing the same thing at the same place as last year.  Same as the Sherows.  I'll find the paper work later and let you know the dates and site number!
Liza

Rally List:

B21 ? Randy & Debbie    12/24-1/2 ?
B21 - Jennifer & Dan 12/27- 1/1
B32 ? Ray & Liza  12/27-1/4
B33 - Ken & Sheila 12/24? - 1/2
B34 - Jeff & Sue 12/27 - 1/2 ??
B35 - Terry & Betty 12/27 - 1/3
??  - Russ M 12/26 - 1/2 ??

We have a conflict in site B21!
Randy, did you change sites?

ken

Jeff,

I believe they did.

Daisy where are you??

I'll send Daisy a PM to find out.

Thanks Jeff. Where are you two? We're at LL, Joliet. We are on the far side in PV71, one of only 3 PT/amp50 sites on this side. Really nice and quiet - and no real road dust because there is hardly any traffic.

ken

We're considering attending. Since Susan's out of the skiing thing now, we might do Tucson instead.

Now in Hinton, AB, headed for Dawson Creek via Rt. 40 tomorrow. See Susan's journal (SaltyAdventurer).

Thanks for the Email Ken.  Guess I need to pay attention....  Site B22 coming on the 24th leaving on the 2nd, I think.  That is if all things go right this time and the crick don't rise..... :p
Sorry that I keep switching our site around every year, just want to stay as close to the activities as possible.  Looking forward to it.

Daisy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom