2014 New Years Rally at Catalina State Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A 110m ride around the Catalinas I tried to take 2 yrs ago, recommended by my Tuscon son Jeff: ;D

CSP to E Tanque Rd in E Tucson. After 3.1 miles changes to Redington Rd. Almost on the top was where my drive shaft disconnect went out. :(

Redington Rd [the old stagecoach rt, rough] to Reddington. Look arround. . . 

Continue on N San Pedro Rd 6.1 mile. Name changes to SR 76, S Redington Rd. Stay on SR 76 to San Manuel.

Visit San Manuel  . . .

SR 76 to Webb Rd, turn west and follow to Oracle.

Check out Oracle.

Take SR 77 from Oracle back to CSP.

I still plan on doing this road in my FWD Kia.

Loving it here at Old Faithful, but missing the Catalina group!  We had a blast the one time we went, even though it was an abbreviated stay we enjoyed it. 

Have fun everyne and Happy New Year!

We (Frank, Terry, Chet, Laurie, Richard, Jerry, Ardra) had a great visit to the Titan Missile Museum which is a National Historic Landmark.  It's amazing to remember back to the Cold War and think that 54 ICBMs were all that stood between us and disaster!  Thankfully we and the Russians both realized we could each wipe out the other and no one ever had to launch a nuclear missile.  It was a successful deterrent.  The docent provided a simulated launch which would have taken 59 seconds and, once initiated, there was no stopping the sequence of events.

I've never been in a missile silo before and am really glad we went.  It was very interesting to see how those things were built to withstand mega tons of blast off.  Before going into the silo we saw the flag pole in front of the building which is 51 feet tall and the Titan missile was twice that.  We took the regular tour which takes about one hour, plus another hour for the self-guided tour above ground.  Once we got back to the motorhome and looked at the brochure I realized we could have taken several other tours that are by reservation only.  There are even overnight tours where you sleep in the crew's quarters.  The overnight tours range from $500/person to $1,000/person (!), the latter including a catered dinner, a bottle of Fallout wine, and a launch key replica.

On our return drive to Catalina we stopped at the San Xavier del Baco Mission which you've no doubt seen in pictures.  It's interesting because it never was totally finished.  The left side with tower and bells is finished but the right side never had the final top put on its tower.  The result is an unusual optical illusion with the right side appearing taller and larger than the left side.  In reality they're the same size except for the missing top on the unfinished right side.  The inside of the church appears quite ornate, similar to many of the old Spanish churches or those in Mexico.  On closer inspection the ornate carvings are really just artfully shaped plaster that was painted with bright colors to resemble wood or figures.  Even the ornate altar is just made to look ornate with some gold paint and other bright colors.  The church has three domes at the altar end and another large one at the other end above the main entrance and choir loft above it.

At happy hour Randy gave out maps to the area of town that is known for its Christmas lights.  Tonight is the last night for being able to drive through the display area.

ArdraF

Here are some photos from the Titan Missile Museum.

JerryF

Attachments

• Titan-02 (Small).JPG
    Titan-02 (Small).JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Titan-05 (Small).jpg
    Titan-05 (Small).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Titan-07 (Small).JPG
    Titan-07 (Small).JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Titan-11 (Small).JPG
    Titan-11 (Small).JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Titan-12 (Small).JPG
    Titan-12 (Small).JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 28
Some great info on places to visit......Burnetta and I did make it to the Movies today, we saw "Saving Mr. Bank's"......we both enjoyed it! We got in line for the Christmas lights but after moving about 30 car lengths in a line of about 200 in 45 minutes, we said will do that another year. Also had Dinner at La Fuente (Old Town)  about 15-16 miles down Oracle Road. Good food, good Mariachi Band and they even let you get Happy hour prices at your dining table not just in the Bar. (3 buck large Margarita)....someone from back home had suggested this place saying it was one of the oldest Mexican eateries in town. Just so we don't look anti-social, anyone is welcome to join us where-ever we go, just our Saturn isn't the most comfy in the back seat. That's our report and I'm sticking to it.... ;) See you all in the AM.....

JerArdra said:
Here are some photos from the Titan Missile Museum.

JerryF, Or anyone else,

There is the Minuteman Museum east of Rapid City if you want to see a newer version of our weapons systems.

http://www.nps.gov/mimi/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Did they have any of the electronics for show, like the guidance set, or open consoles?  The technology would be interesting in light of what is available today.  Even the Minuteman is very out of date but not the ones  in the silos    :)
Edit: Fixed link.

Upon further research.....it appears "El Charro" is the oldest continuously operated family owned Mexican Restaurant in the USofA since 1922.....so those of us looking for the original (familiar) Mexican dishes(which we are always) may want to head down for a "Happy" time between 3-6 daily(half off appetizers, Margarita's, beer, wine and desserts)...we'll be going one day during our stay so please feel free to join us. OK, I've talked enough!!!

InVogue said:
We got in line for the Christmas lights but after moving about 30 car lengths in a line of about 200 in 45 minutes, we said will do that another year.

Our carload of  5 also gave up.  But you lasted longer than we did.  We saw the  line and quickly did a survey of occupants in car and decided the  Campground was the  preferred destination by a vote of  5/0 so a uturn was made!  I'm sure it was lovely.

We  dined at  the  Mexican seafood chain, Mariscos Chihuahua.  I had a  shrimp garlic dish that was  wonderful!  Terry had cerviche and  it was  to die for.  Ray says it is his new favorite restaurant.
Leftover homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast!  Life is good.

A pic of those who dined at Mariscos before the failed attempt to see the Christmas lights in Winterhaven.

Paul

Attachments

• Winterhaven bound group (1200 x 900).jpg
    Winterhaven bound group (1200 x 900).jpg
    242 KB · Views: 49
Paul didn't mention that Ann was with us at dinner also, since all you could see of her was the "A". The "nn's" didn't get into the frame.

So at the  3:00 happy Hour another fun gathering was held.  Everyone talked all at once about their  day.  Laundromats, Camping wWorld, Fry's Grocery Store and Saguaro National  Park were topics of destinations.  Oh yeah a bunch of the boys went  to In & Out Burger after working on Jeff's lights all morning.

I served my NoBake EggNog Pie for  those who enjoy Egg Nog.  It is rich but  Chet asked for seconds and I told him he could have the recipe too.  So here is this easy peasy recipe I got off of Pinterest.

Ingredients
For the CRUST
10 tablespoons butter, melted
2 1/4 cup graham crackers, finely crushed (this is about 2 sleeves of crackers)
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
For the FILLING
1 quart eggnog
2 (5.1 oz. each) packages vanilla instant pudding mix
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Instructions
Melt the butter (please use the real stuff?it truly makes a difference!) in a large mixing bowl. Add the finely crushed graham cracker crumbs.
Put in the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the bowl of melted butter and crumbs. Stir until all combined and put into a 9 inch pie pan.
Start forming and pressing the crumb mixture down into the pie pan, and up along the sides.
Set the formed crust into the refrigerator to harden up the butter that was used in it. (Only a few minutes.) This is the perfect time to start on the filling.
In a large mixing bowl, pour in the eggnog and vanilla pudding mixes. Start mixing on low for about 1 minute. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix on high speed for about another minute to 2 minutes. It will begin to thicken up.
Get out your pie crust from the refrigerator and pour in the creamy eggnog mixture. Spread around to the edges. Cover with 8 ounces of whipped cream. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Set back into the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Enjoy!
Notes
If you do not have a food processor of any kind, simply put the graham crackers in a closed plastic bag and pound at it with a rolling pin.
If you choose not to cover with whipped cream, cover with a plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming on top. Or, sprinkle on some finely crushed graham cracker.
By Simply Gloria made for the holidays  by Betty Brewer

Betty Brewer, thanks!

​p.s. The tasty Southern Comfort [flavored] Traditional NOLA Egg Nog that Betty Font and I found in Walmart on Fri might be a hit too!  ::)
​​

To those who may have missed Happy Hour tonight we have decided that the New Years Eve dinner will be held at 3:00 PM and the menu will be fried chicken and baked beans along with salads and deserts provided by the participants.  I will determine the final cost of the chicken and beans and collect it tomorrow during our afternoon social hour.  In addition,  you will need to bring your own plates and utensils to the potluck.

That evening the open houses will be held at:
Russ Mahoney's, site 34
Ken & Sheila's, site 33
Ray & Liza's, site 32.   

This will make it very easy AND  please remember to bring your beverage of choice with you and snacks to the first rig you visit.  Hopefully it be evenly divided from the start!!!

I hope everyone is enjoying the rally as much as I am.

By the way congratulations to Henry & Margaret and Larry & Loretta for becoming the newest FMCA members.  We have big Larry joining things left and right.

Sheila

Betty, thanks for the recipe.  That pie is yummy!

Sheila, thanks for arranging both our New Year's Eve dinner and open house evening.

Also, after writing about the San Xavier del Bac Mission last night I learned something else that I would like to correct.  We all thought the mission bell tower on the right was never finished, but that is wrong.  Construction of the current church began in 1783 and it was completed in 1797.  In 1887 an earthquake knocked down the mortuary wall and damaged parts of the church which was repaired starting in 1905.  After a 1939 lightening strike hit the West Tower lantern more repairs were made.  I think this last lightning strike that caused a fire in the bell tower is the reason the tower on the right is now shorter than the one on the left.  It was only partially repaired.  By the way, the San Xavier del Bac Mission, aka the "White Dove of the Desert", is the oldest intact European structure in Arizona.

ArdraF

Seems the week is going by too quickly, of course it doesn't help to get up at 9am either...LOL.  I'll just give a quick report of El Charro......we had a great appetizer, a plentiful margarita, all for half price. These appetizers work great with us not being able to finish off a complete entr?e any longer. For anyone interested, this branch of El Charro is down Oracle near Kohl's department store. Oh... we didn't have any but their half price desserts look Great too. Sorry we missed the afternoon festivities but Chicken and beans sounds Good! I expect a full report on Harvest Moon and how everyone liked it or??? Nite all.... ;D

Ken, we're also going at 9:00 but just for the Bone Yard tour with Frank, Barb, and Terry.

ArdraF and JerryF

Jim Godward,

Thanks for the info.  Next time we are even near Rapid City, SD we will visit the Minuteman Museum.  Re the tour of the Titan Missile Museum they did not have any of the internal electronics on display just the launch console that was in one of the pictures.

JerryF

Today was also a good maintenance day. It took eight people three hours to find and change a headlight and parking light bulb in our coach with a stop at In and Out on the way to the auto parts store.

Frank found the loose wire that got Henry's low beams working after being out a few months so Henry didn't need the Headlight Control Module I bought to fix the blown light bulbs in our coach. :-[

Back
Top Bottom