Lake Erie fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chanda

Was able to fish over the Memorial Day holidays at Lake Erie

Attachments

• walleye.jpg
    walleye.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 60
I can't see the dorsal to check if the big guy is a sauger, but I'll assume it's a walleye by the clear sides.  Nice fish.

Only 1 thing better than a Lake Erie walleye on the table and that is TWO !!!!!  The perch are wonderful as "horses-ovaries" followed by deep fried walleye filets for the main course......... While staying at the East Harbor SP near Port Clinton we ate 740,826.828#'s !!!!!

razu13612 said:
Only 1 thing better than a Lake Erie walleye on the table and that is TWO !!!!!  The perch are wonderful as "horses-ovaries" followed by deep fried walleye filets for the main course......... While staying at the East Harbor SP near Port Clinton we ate 740,826.828#'s !!!!!

and when those Walleye cross the border into Canada they are call Pickerel.

you are "right on" DEAL, When I lived/fished on the Eastern end of Lake Ontario we used to go up to Bay of Quinte for the "pickerel" for the early.early season and then return to the Henderson Bay area for the late Spring fishing.  We mostly trolled in Henderson Harbor/Black River Bay area and used to release all the "slobs" (3-5 pounders were much better eating) and one day we tossed a 10 pounder back while we were pretty close to a coupla older gents and I thought that they were going to have a heart attack.  They said they had been fishing walleyes for two days and hadn't even had a smell.  We pulled along side and gave them a coupla 5 pounders so they could stink up a pan............ Ahhhh, the good ole days !!!!!!

deal said:
and when those Walleye cross the border into Canada they are call Pickerel.

Only in English speaking Canada (Manitoba specifically), and even then it is a misnomer because the walleye in not related to the "Pike" family.  The pickerel is closely related to the northern pike, the walleye is not.

I always thought the 13 to 15" fish were the best tasting.

Yes, that is a walleye caught on a perch line. We were at Geneva State Park in Ohio.

Have fished off Port Clinton many a time, Razu13612. Always have to eat at the Jolly Rogers.

Just Lou said:
Only in English speaking Canada (Manitoba specifically), and even then it is a misnomer because the walleye in not related to the "Pike" family.  The pickerel is closely related to the northern pike, the walleye is not.

I always thought the 13 to 15" fish were the best tasting.

I've never heard anyone refer to an area within Canada as "English speaking Canada"  I have no idea where that would be as many languages are spoken freely all over.  English makes up less than 60% of our first language speakers, French less than 20%.  There is a high proportion of French within Quebec, higher in rural areas. English is popular everywhere else.

The way I see it is if a people call something a name for as many generations as Canadians have been calling what you call a Walleye a Pickerel well then it's a Pickerel. PS. I always thought the Pickeral/Walleye we catch here is part of the perch family not the Pike family.  Regardless, when fishing in Ontario if you catch one and call it a Walleye the locals will assume you are American. Just like when you order a soda and expect to get a Coke.

deal said:
I've never heard anyone refer to an area within Canada as "English speaking Canada"  I have no idea where that would be as many languages are spoken freely all over.  English makes up less than 60% of our first language speakers, French less than 20%.  There is a high proportion of French within Quebec, higher in rural areas. English is popular everywhere else.

The way I see it is if a people call something a name for as many generations as Canadians have been calling what you call a Walleye a Pickerel well then it's a Pickerel. PS. I always thought the Pickeral/Walleye we catch here is part of the perch family not the Pike family.  Regardless, when fishing in Ontario if you catch one and call it a Walleye the locals will assume you are American. Just like when you order a soda and expect to get a Coke.
Didn't mean to offend you.  The term "English speaking Canada" was NOT of my invention.  Just did a couple of Google searches and it popped up.  I'm sure it was meant to distinguish Quebec, which as you know, is very predominately french speaking, from Ontario and other areas.  Believe me, when you cross the border from Ontario to the US, with those fish filets, they are called "walleye filets" by Canadian Customs. 

You can call them what ever you want, but that doesn't make a Lake Erie walleye a pickerel.  It does make it a member of the perch family, which as I said earlier, is not a member of the pickerel or pike family.

We have folks who choose to call our local favorite pan fish (crappie) by the unthinkable name of (croppie) also. ;) :D ;D

The fish we Americans call pickerel is NOT considered a good eating fish.

Back
Top Bottom