Internet cell phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cowboydan said:
Do many people use T Mobile for internet connection while on the road?___thanks Cowboy Dan
? I think Tom used T-Mobil to access the internet last summer on their shakedown cruise.? However, Tom has is using 2way satellite to connect to the internet now when traveling.

I've used (and still use) a t-mobile air card. I've used it across much of the USA and eastern Canada. The card is really a cell phone in the form of a PCMCIA card, so it has essentially the same coverage as a t-mobile phone. t-mobile offers a couple of options for the card:

• Unlimited internet with the air card sharing a SIM card with a t-mobile phone (move the SIM card between your cell phone and air card. This is their "internet add-on" service for $20/month, but requires that you have a t-mobile phone account.
  • Unlimited internet on an air card for $40/month, irrespective of whether you have a t-mobile phone or not.

Speed with the air card is comparable to dial-up service, not as fast as Verizon's data service.

I especially hope I get a response from Gary B on this one.

Now that the home and land are sold and I am waiting for delivery, I felt it would be a good time to get my internet access up to par.  I used to have pretty high speed access via my Verizon cell phone.  The old express net was part of my written contract in 2003.  Then in 2004 they yanked it away, which I am sure is a contract violation,  but I got caught up in the crackdown on those using the back door.  The more I complained, the less help I got.  I gave up trying to do anything about it.

Now I will be saying goodbye to my broadband at home.  Gary referred me to the Yahoo web site that deals with this but the more I read there the more confused I get.

As I understand the gust of things, I order a phone with Get It Now capability and then my futuredial dongle and software should work.

Can anyone help me through this maze?

First off, which phone should I get?  I am due for an upgrade and special pricing.  I really want the best phone for accessing the express et or whatever they call t these days.  Bells and whistles like cameras would be nice, but only solid internet access is essential.

Help anyone?  I will be staying with Verizon, so please no Sprint or Cingular speeches. <g>

Smoky

The internetbycellphone yahoo group is pretty good. Since I use Sprint and won't try and sell you  :D, they are a good source for phone selection. Make your criteria known and you should get a good suggestion for a phone. Then follow the tutorial exactly as it outlines the procedures and you should have a decent internet connection wherever Verizon has a digital signal. It won't be broadband but it should be better than dial-up.

Hi Smoky,

I can't help you much with the cell phone aspect of connecting to the internet. ?I have used a cell phone to connect in the past but that was a few years ago and was at 4800-9600 baud. ? Was good then but there are much better system now. ?Some folks here use T-Mobil while others use Sprint or Verizon. ?I'm sure you will get several resonses on these systems.

For the last better than three years now I have been using Direcway Satellite internet. ?There are nine or ten of the framily using satellite at lleast 4 are using Motosat automatic systems and the rest of us are using manual setup systems. ?For internet connection without cable or DSL i think this is the best. ?It does beat dialup connections. ?Those of us having the satellite set up share our connection via wireless fith the framily at rallies. There will be at least eight of us sharing the internet with the framily at the Moab rally this year.

I'm sure you will get some very good answers and suggestions regarding cell phone usage to access the internet as well as which systems are prefered.

If you have any questions regarding internet by satellite there are several in the framily here that use these systems and have experience that would be willing to answer your questions on that as well.

Smoky said:
First off, which phone should I get?? I am due for an upgrade and special pricing.? I really want the best phone for accessing the express et or whatever they call t these days.? Bells and whistles like cameras would be nice, but only solid internet access is essential.

Help anyone?? I will be staying with Verizon, so please no Sprint or Cingular speeches. <g>

Smokey,
Answered your question on tyhe old forum but will repeat here. I use the LG VX6100 and the Mobile Office kit from Verizon. Havent tried it with my wife's VX3200 yet. Anyhow, all I did was install the software and hook up the connection.  It's pretty easy when you do it....I got it to work the first time and if I can, anyone can. ;)
The kit is available in a Verizon store or via the internet Verizon website for approx $39.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom