MOAB 2014 RV FORUM RALLY, MAY 11-17, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArdraF

MOAB 2014 RV FORUM RALLY, MAY 11-17, 2014

We had a great rally this year and eleven of us have already signed up for a Moab rally NEXT year ? 2014.  The dates are May 11-17, 2014 (7 nights, departing May 18th).  We can't get into Portal any earlier than the week of May 11th because the FMCA four-wheeling group has reserved the entire park for the previous week.  Portal RV Park has become very popular and is full from Jeep Week at Easter (April 21st) until the week of May 11th!

If you plan to come to our rally, please make your reservation early.  If you decide six months from now that you cannot attend, it's easy to cancel, but it may not be as easy to get a site if you wait too long.  This year Portal was full every night during our rally.  We'll do it the same way we have in previous years, e.g. everyone makes their own INDIVIDUAL reservations.  We do not make group reservations like some of the more formal organizations such as FMCA.  This causes some confusion because Portal knows us as the RV Forum.  The owner, Doug, has been very accommodating by allowing us to register as individuals but treating us as a group so we can use the pavilion for happy hour and by putting on a dinner for us.  Portal likes having us and we like going there, but there have been a couple of issues regarding Portal's cancellation policy.  Betty Brewer, Jerry and Ardra met with Doug and we have agreed to the following arrangement that we hope will work for everyone.

Each person needs to call Portal to make their own reservation.  Portal's cancellation policy is that individuals can cancel up to 48 hours in advance of arrival without incurring charges for the entire time.  Group reservations cannot be cancelled without being charged for the entire reserved time.  We are not set up with Portal as a formal group.  Our agreement with Doug is that we in the RV Forum will try to fill any cancellations within the RV Forum.  Doug realizes that we've been doing this informally but we are now making it formal.  I will be starting a list of attendees.  When you make your reservation, please let us know within this topic.  If you need to cancel your reservation, please let us know immediately within this topic so that someone else can take your reservation.  Doug requests that you please not hang on to your reservation for weeks thinking that it will help another RV Forum person.  If no one in the RV Forum speaks up and wants to take over your reservation within two days (not weeks!) please cancel right away because Portal needs to know if sites will be empty so they can fill them with non-RV Forum visitors.

Portal will not promise a specific site.  You can request a site and they will try hard to accommodate your request, but please don't argue with them if you don't get the site you want.  We all need to remember that they are running a business and it's difficult trying to get blocks of days for any one person and a specific site.  It sometimes necessitates shifting people around.  Moreover, as more sites in the new section are sold there may be some that are no longer in the rental pool or the owner may want to use it on the same dates you have requested.  Please remember that you will get more help with honey than vinegar!  As of now sites M-21 and M-24 have three-story houses on them and site R-51 has a one-story casita.  When you talk about sites, the ?old? campground is on the north side with sites 1 through 46.  The ?new? resort is on the south side and has two rows of M sites and one row of R sites.  It?s a good idea to follow through and check your reservation with Portal as the time gets closer.

The information you need is:
Portal RV Resort
1261 N. Hwy. 191
Moab, UT 84532
Phone: 435-259-6108
http://www.portalrvresort.com
Email: [email protected]

Please post in this topic when you make a reservation or if you cancel so that we all will know who is attending.  The first names on the 2014 Moab Rally Attendees List are:

Bertram, Christi & Kim (aka Skyking4ar2)
Brewer, Betty & Terry, site 4
Bullock, Doris & Phil (off site)
Falchini, Dee & Steve (aka Steve N Dee)
FitzGerald, Ardra & Jerry, site 24
Kuch, Sheila & Ken, site 5
Nesbitt, Mary Ann & Don (aka Gmsboss1)
Roscoe, Corinne & Bill (aka Photog)
Sherow, Debby & Randy
White, Tara & Ernie
Zuech, Chrystal & Mike (aka ZMotorsports) & Jared

Go to  http://www.portalrvresort.com/w/site-map-res.pdf to see Portal's site map.  The new section with rows M and R have a cement pad and you have access to the swimming pool, hot tub, and new dog park.  The old section with numbered sites but no alpha prefix is more rustic with gravel and they do not have access to the pool and spa.  If you have been to Portal in earlier years, please note there are site numbering changes because of confusion between similarly numbered sites in the old and new sections.  The following latitude and longitude for your GPS will turn you into the property.  N38 35.367  W109 34.130  Portal's elevation is 3,926 feet.

Should you want to see what we do at an RV Forum rally, the following link will take you to the discussion of our 2013 Moab rally:    http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,63671.0.html

Hope to see you at Moab in 2014!

ArdraF and JerryF

Just in case you missed it above, Look carefully at the cancellation policy.  The formal confirmation you get when making reservations will indicate your credit card MAY  be charged for a cancellation.  Owners informed me they have never had to make such a charge but if you do  cancel you will get that standard speil.  This  may  annoy you,  but be clear from the start, it is their policy.  Bottom line, do not commit to  this rally unless you really plan to attend. The rally is a whole bunch of fun but ya gotta be there to enjoy it.

Now I realize things come up this far out,  but it is not courteous to the business to reserve a spot during high season if you are not really committed to attendance. If you do have to cancel,  do so as soon as you know you can't make it!  Post it on Forum and if there are no takers in  24 hours, call and cancel ! 

This sucks having to wait a whole year to see everyone again.  :(

This working for living is for the birds.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
This sucks having to wait a whole year to see everyone again.  :(

We'll be back in Brigham City on July 20 for two weeks - we can get together and talk about everyone else when we get there....the girls can plan their trip to Europe, maybe use Jan for a tour guide (then again, maybe not) - maybe even come up with a new award; I KNOW we need one... 8)

Glad the Dodds and Bob are making it next year.  You're on the list!

ArdraF

skyking4ar2 said:
We'll be back in Brigham City on July 20 for two weeks - we can get together and talk about everyone else when we get there....the girls can plan their trip to Europe, maybe use Jan for a tour guide (then again, maybe not) - maybe even come up with a new award; I KNOW we need one... 8)

Sounds good.  We are trying to plan a trip up to West Yellowstone for the weekend of July 10-14, providing I can get others in our party to commit.  We should be around home the latter part of July, give us a shout and we can grab a bite of dinner somewhere.

Mike.

Chet18013 said:
Yep, It's about time, don't you think so, Bob?

It's about time you came back west. I think we last/first saw you at Moab at our first Framily rally ?

Chet18013 said:
Yep, It's about time, don't you think so, Bob?

I sure do Chet! I was thinking while driving back from Sault Ste. Marie, to NM 2 years ago about a New England trip; or, Niagra Falls and the finger lakes, then heading down the Delaware to do the mid mid-Atlantic historical and Smithsonian etc. tour.

I've not toured the mid Atlantic. Of course, I'd originally planned those trips while in Charlotte in '99, for '01 or '02, and I knew I'd have a wonderful place to stop with very hospitable family in the Delaware valley. However, my Bishop had different plans in mind for me back in NM; and, when I told Bev he wanted us to fly back and interview in Bel?n, for the fist time in our marriage, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "Can we go home now?" I'm so glad I was able to do that for her, for us. I do love the southwest as a base.

I've added Chet and Laurie to the list.  It will be great to have you at one of our rallies out here!

ArdraF

Chet, don't worry. We are in site 5 and will keep the Brewers under control - or is that the other way around? VBG

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom