MOAB 2014 RV FORUM RALLY, MAY 11-17, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Oscar Mike,

On the first evening of the rally we'll have a happy hour at which everyone introduces themselves.  After that we'll talk about who wants to do what during the week.  Volunteers are always welcome!  Jerry and I usually have an introductory walk in Arches the first day or two and then, depending on interest, we lead a group into Fiery Furnace later in the week.  We've hiked just about every trail in Arches and love it there so sometimes we take maybe just one more couple who want to do one of the trails but don't want to go alone.  Meanwhile, some people will be taking trail rides, some of the girls might want to have a shopping day, there might be a special excursion to some place interesting (other than a 4WD road), and there have even been years where some have gone horseback riding or rafting on the Colorado.  It all depends on who attends and what their interests are.  It's nice to alternate hiking/shopping/etc. on one day and a trail ride the next.  But sometimes Mother Nature intervenes.  If we have a hike or trail ride organized and get up in the morning to dark skies that might indicate flood waters in the gullies, then we cancel that event and do something else.  Or not!  Most newcomers like to take at least one day just to go sightseeing into Arches National Park (take a lunch and water because there are no facilities) and/or Canyonlands National Park (ditto).  So, organized plans are set in jello!

Our aim is just to have fun, camaraderie, and enjoy seeing what we can see.

ArdraF

I am really looking forward to meeting everyone, and having some fun. It sounds like just the type of gathering that I will enjoy.

Check out this illustrated article in our forum Library on The Moab experience. It barely scratches the surface, but hopefully will whet your appetite for the real thing.

Tom said:
Check out this illustrated article in our forum Library on The Moab experience. It barely scratches the surface, but hopefully will whet your appetite for the real thing.

Tom,
Thanks for posting that article, it was an interesting read. I've never been to Moab, but it is one of those places that I have wanted to visit for a very long time.

This information may be useful. Trails are rated on 2 scales. 1-5 and 1-10.

1. FMCA 4 WHEELERS
http://www.jeeptheusa.com/home/trail-difficulty-ratings

2. TRAIL DAMAGE
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/legend.php

3. STATE OF ARIZONA TRAIL RATINGS
http://www.ultimate4x4concepts.com/Arizona_Trial_Ratings.html

The Red Rock 4 Wheelers paint the lines and flames on the trails during the Easter Jeep Safari. And maintain the trails all year long in the Moab area. They have a 1-10 trail rating. 

I hope this helps to give you a better understanding of what kind of equipment is needed for what kind of trail.

Barb said:
This information may be useful. Trails are rated on 2 scales. 1-5 and 1-10.

1. FMCA 4 WHEELERS
http://www.jeeptheusa.com/home/trail-difficulty-ratings

2. TRAIL DAMAGE
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/legend.php

3. STATE OF ARIZONA TRAIL RATINGS
http://www.ultimate4x4concepts.com/Arizona_Trial_Ratings.html

The Red Rock 4 Wheelers paint the lines and flames on the trails during the Easter Jeep Safari. And maintain the trails all year long in the Moab area. They have a 1-10 trail rating. 

I hope this helps to give you a better understanding of what kind of equipment is needed for what kind of trail.

Barb,

Thanks for posting, that is very useful information. As a novice, I appreciate folks taking the time to help me (and others) along.

John

We shortly will be hanging up the keys of our motorhome. When you get in the 80Th's there are other options to get rid of your retirement savings.
However we decided it would be a nice way of personally saying good bye to a lot of framily friends we got to know since we did join the RV forum group 19 years ago by making a last final trip.
Today we received confirmations from Portal, Bryce and Zion for our reservations. So please Ken & Ardra add us to the list of the Hop Skip and Moab list.
More details will follow and take note this trip will not be a final good bye our house will always be open for visitors.

chris & mimi

chrpennings said:
We shortly will be hanging up the keys of our motorhome. When you get in the 80Th's there are other options to get rid of your retirement savings.
However we decided it would be a nice way of personally saying good bye to a lot of framily friends we got to know since we did join the RV forum group 19 years ago by making a last final trip.
Today we received confirmations from Portal, Bryce and Zion for our reservations. So please Ken & Ardra add us to the list of the Hop Skip and Moab list.
More details will follow and take note this trip will not be a final good bye our house will always be open for visitors.

chris & mimi

Sir, I look forward to meeting you. I just don't have the words that would properly express my admiration for you and yours.

Chris and Mimy - We are so very happy you will be joining us at all three locations and I'll add you to our Moab list.  But we truly are sorry you'll be hanging up the keys.  It's been a good run!  We have lots of good memories of our fun times together.

ArdraF

We are @ Portal right now and they have two more of those casita monstrosities almost completed in addition to the two they already had.  They are now in sites 16 and 20 in addition to the two that were already in 21 and 24 along the southeastern perimeter.  WOW, they are huge.

Mike.

Chet18013 said:
Ardra, I got the confirmation back from Portal. They have "tentatively" assigned us to site 3.  This means we'll be next to that wild party couple, the Brewers.

Well I have no idea where we will be placed, but me and Monkey join any party which this wild couple throw on. But we leave Olga back in rv, she is slowing us down JUST ME AND MONKEY.

We are leaving Australia 28th of March and taking 7 days Cruise to Mexico first and visit Steve and Dee in LA. After that we really don't know what we will do. Thinking to visit Palm Springs and after that to move to Lake Mead for one or two weeks before our rally. If anybody will be close to us around that time, please let us know and we can get together for dinner. I will do aussie BBQ.

skyking4ar2 said:
ruh-roh - I may get a drive in theatre screen again!

Snap a pic or two?

Sorry Kim, didn't grab any pictures.  The one in site M16 was just finishing up the exterior and taking the scaffolding down.  The one in M20 was being stucko-ed while we were there.  They are both identical to the two already in sites M21 and M24.

Mike.

Mike, are you still at Portal?  Is there still just one of the one-story buildings on the west side?  Doug mentioned last year that a couple of others were being planned by owners.  Just so everyone knows, the two-story casitas are in the R section against the fence on the east side (toward the highway).  Only one-story casitas will be in the M section on the last row toward the river.  The middle rows should not have any casitas.  So, the following five sites have been taken out of the rental pool and will no longer be available for use by non-owners.

Sites with two-story ?casitas? are  M-16, M-20, M-21, M-24 (southeast side).
Sites with one-story ?casitas? are R-49 (southwest side).

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Mike, are you still at Portal?  Is there still just one of the one-story buildings on the west side?  Doug mentioned last year that a couple of others were being planned by owners.  Just so everyone knows, the two-story casitas are in the R section against the fence on the east side (toward the highway).  Only one-story casitas will be in the M section on the last row toward the river.  The middle rows should not have any casitas.  So, the following five sites have been taken out of the rental pool and will no longer be available for use by non-owners.

Sites with two-story ?casitas? are  M-16, M-20, M-21, M-24 (southeast side).
Sites with one-story ?casitas? are R-49 (southwest side).

ArdraF

Ardra, no we are not still @ Portal.  We arrived home Saturday afternoon.  We spent the week there for Jared's spring break (that is where he wanted to go). ;D

You are correct on the two story casitas on the southeast side, M16, M20, M21 and M24.

However, on the southwest side the smaller one story is on site R51 not R49.  We were in R49 and I remember the small casita because the owners have a sign calling it "Area 51" on site 51.

We too were told that no casitas will be constructed in the middle section.

Mike.

Dear Framily,

Unfortunately, due to some lingering optical problems following the surgeries that caused us to miss Indio and Quartzsite, I want to let all of you know that (as of 5 minutes ago) there is now a space available at The Portal and another at Zion River since we will not be able to make those get-togethers either. We'll certainly miss all of you but I know that I'll be much better able to see each of you at all future Forum events.

Be well, travel safely and we'll see you down the road.

Randy

Randy, we'll miss you and Debby but I guess being able to see while driving is a very high priority!  ;)  We'll see you at another rally.  Take care and have a good summer.

ArdraF

AAAHHH Randy I was practising my Golf all month just to give you good game. Hope that your operation will be success. By the way, are you still going to Vegas in April?
Cheers Jan and Monkey.

Thanks, Ardra. I hope that you and Jerry have a great summer, also.

No, Jan, we'll not be going to Las Vegas either this year, but don't worry. Not only will there be someone else in Moab with whom you'll be able to play golf, but I'll also make sure that Goofy is there, as well. He's been asking for you and Henry Wishard lately. You two can share him during the rally and talk about me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom