TPMS-What's best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chet18013

Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
I have had an Advantage Pressure Pro system since they were first introduced on the market years ago. (Even had it's predecessor TireMate) To be honest, I have been less than satisfied with it. It seems like I need to totally reset it at least twice a year which means a trip in and out of the coach for each sensor. With 12 tires, this is, to say the least, a chore. I have added the signal repeater and even with this the rear tires and the toad signal is erratic. Another disadvantage of this system is the fact hat you have to purchase new sensors every 3-4 years, since the batteries are not replaceable.

I am now starting the season with my third set of sensors and don't have much faith in them. 12 sensors times $50.00 each doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

In looking at the different TPMS systems that are now available, I am leaning toward purchasing a new system from EEZ RV PRODUCTS TPMS. These units measure both tire pressure and temperature. It also has the advantage of replaceable batteries and flow through sensors.

Has anybody purchased this EEZ RV PRODUCTS TPM system and if so, how do you like it? I would also like any comments on other systems.

I have ruled out the Pressure Pro for these reasons:
1. New tire sensors must be purchased when the batteries are at the end of their life cycle.
2. The sensors must be removed to inflate the tires.
3. Pressure Pro does not have temperature indication.
4. You can not carry the display with you as you install the sensors, but must go back into the coach to manual advance to the next position. Or have two people to do the sensor installation.

Thanks for the comments.

I just replaced my original 12 Pressure Pro sensors after seven years.

Of the 12....
  • 6 were still functioning very reliably
  • 4 were suspect (occasionally giving NO reading)
  • 1 was reading 10#s low
  • 1 was dead.
People do seem to be happy with TST.

Thanks for the comments, Lou, but my experience does not parallel yours. I have marked each sensor and removed them over the winters. Seems like a total reinstall is required each year--a real pain when you do it by yourself. They have been unreliable and the rears intermittent since day one. I even stopped by PP's offices in MO and they had some problems getting the rears to read with the repeater.

So as far as I'm concerned it time to try something new.

Chet18013 said:
Thanks for the comments, Lou, but my experience does not parallel yours. I have marked each sensor and removed them over the winters. Seems like a total reinstall is required each year--a real pain when you do it by yourself. They have been unreliable and the rears intermittent since day one. I even stopped by PP's offices in MO and they had some problems getting the rears to read with the repeater.

So as far as I'm concerned it time to try something new.

I can't blame you, technology is improving all the time.

BTW -  If I hadn't just ordered my replacements ($35 for replacements - not $50) today,  I probably wouldn't have replied to your post, since I now see you were requesting comments with experience in other brands.  The subject was just fresh in my mind, but can't help further.

I've always just left mine on for the winter and turned the Display unit off. 

Chet,

We use TireTraker, which is also marketed under other names by others. Its the same system. We've had it 3 years with no problems. The sensors are the kind where you can just replace the batteries, not the whole sensor. You can carry the display with you as you program each tire. It also has temperature.

www.tiretraker.com

I love my TST sensor systems. Has pressure and temp readouts that I found to be very accurate. Dealing with the folks at TST is always a joy. Would not be without them.

Bob

I'll second Bob's comments -- TST has worked well for me, and customer service is excellent. I haven't had any other brand to compare, though.

parttymer said:
Chet,

We use TireTraker, which is also marketed under other names by others. Its the same system. We've had it 3 years with no problems. The sensors are the kind where you can just replace the batteries, not the whole sensor. You can carry the display with you as you program each tire. It also has temperature.

www.tiretraker.com

I took your recommendation and made the investment.
I've had 3 blow-outs w/no wrecks or coach damage...my number has to be close to the top of the list.
I'm planing a trip from south to north on the Blue Ridge Pkwy and probably on to Maine and than west to Michigan in Oct/Nov.
I only have a month and a half to do this in so wish me luck and no more blown tires.

George

Icemaker said:
I've had 3 blow-outs w/no wrecks or coach damage...my number has to be close to the top of the list.

With that kind of record the first question that comes to mind is "What's the age of your tires?" Anything more than seven years is to old to be safe. Always have changed my tires every 6-7 years and never had a blow out.

The front set was 8 yrs old when the rt front tire blew...climbing a hill just before Ripley WV on I-77. I was fibbed to on their age when I bought the coach...never believe a salesman again,
the Lf inside duel blew off the date section,,but I got thru the Chesapeake bridge/tunnel [whew] system..
than the Rt inside duel 05 date code blew in Indiana just before a rest area..
I bought 6 19.5's on that trip...sigh...I like to keep the tires matched somewhat...may be just in my head..
the front are a Chinese brand, Hancock(?), w/a date code of 09 [what you get on New Years holiday in Norfolk..
the rear sets are both Goodyear..w/one set traction tires..
so my plan is to replace the front in 2 years and the rear sets staggered a year apart after that.
the TPMS is an attempt to dodge those bullets that are out there.

George

Chet,

At a show I inspected the TST and the EEZ and a third brand. All appeared to be the exact same product marketed by different companies.

BTW, Jeff uses TST and has been happy with them.

I am tired of PP and will probably switch to EEZ or TST. I will use the "flow throughs" on the motorhome and the "cap" style on the jeep.

ken

For those who use TST, how long after you turn it on does the pressure register? I like to check all tire pressures before leaving in the morning.

ken
'

Mine register within five minutes, however I know others whose units take much longer. Don't know why that is. Likewise, I have had no trouble with mine, while some have much trouble with theirs. Again don't  know why that is.

Generally my TST registers before I pull out although sometimes it may take a mile of rolling until I see it register. I have never been in  a situation where I couldn't stop and top off my tires if need be within a mile or two. Remember, a TPM is not a substitute for checking your tires with a gauge periodically.

Bob

Does the TST not display tire pressures when stopped?  If so, that would be a show stopper for me.  I want to be able to check my pressures even when parked.

Ned said:
Does the TST not display tire pressures when stopped?  If so, that would be a show stopper for me.  I want to be able to check my pressures even when parked.
I agree, or as they say over on RV.Net... X2 ;) :D

Aw man Ned & Gary ---- I just ordered some and now you guys have got me worried... well I guess I still thump them before pulling out as I always have and rely on them to prevent me running a tire flat..

George

Ned said:

Ned,

I agree.

The guy representing TST at the last rally I was at would not say they would read before departure. Jeff told me his did read before departure. If I can't rely on getting a pressure reading prior to departure, then I will keep looking beyond TST/EEZ for a replacement system. Too bad, I really like the replaceable battery and the "flow through" sensor design.

ken

I certainly like (and have come to depend on) getting the assurance, during my morning coffee, that my tires are ready to go for the day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom