EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Mile Zero to Alaska  (Read 23125 times)

Henry Wishard

• ---
  • Gone Crazy*** Be Back Soon
Mile Zero to Alaska
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »
 Margaret and I have been in Dawson Creek for the last 2 days. Rain has been falling off and on, mostly on. Gary and Andrea Phillips are camped next to us at Northern Lights RV park. Cost is $36.00 a night. We are moving on in the morning to Fort Nelson.
  We entered at the Sweet Water crossing with no problems, just a couple of questions after a 30 minute wait in line and we were on our way to Calgary. Stayed at the Calgary West @$46.20 a night and was the worst RV park I have ever been in. The next day we drove through Lake Louise and the Icefields. This is one of the most beautiful drives we have been on. Stayed 2 night at Whistlers National Park @ $38.20 a night. We have seen several bears and loads of wildlife.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Steve N Dee

• ---
Re: Mile Zero to Alaska
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »
Beautiful pics Henry.  We are looking forward to following your travels thru Alaska.  It's that much better now that we can put a face with name following meeting you in Moab.  Keep the postings coming.  Happy travels!

Steve & Dee
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

Frank Hurst

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »
Great pictures of the Ice Field and the bear. Wish that I was there. DW and I went about 10 years ago and wish that we could go again.
Frank & Hilda Hurst
2003 Phaeton
2004 Malibu
Semi Retired Relief Veterinarian

SaltyAdventurer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 11:18:10 AM »
Dear Margaret and Henry...
Darn it, you're ahead of us too!  We're in Dubois WY right now, headed for the northlands also. We are headed for Yellowstone today, then Glacier, then up in Canada. Thanks for the warning about Calgary West CG...I had heard that was a decent place to stay in Calgary. Oh well...maybe we'll boondock at Walmart while there for 1 night. Love your posts....my DH Don already has his journal up and running. I am starting mine today on this site...  Hope perhaps we can link up somewhere in Alaska this summer.  Would be fun.  Klondike Susie (aka Salty Adventurer)
Klondike Susie aka Salty Adventurer
2013 Itasca Reyo (25', no toad)
Married to oldedit
Resides in Denver CO area & Silverthorne CO

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »
I am jealous. Alaska is still on my bucket list. I am sorry you disliked the Calgary West campground. I always use RV Park Reviews before checking into a campground or RV park. Calgary West gets terrible reviews:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Alberta/Calgary.html#CGID3360
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 11:34:52 AM »
Henry,

Just when I was about to send you a note to encourage you to do a travel log, here you are!

What are you using for voice and data? I took a lot of notes when SargeW went last year. We are considering doing a test run next year, but not all the way up while I am still working. Probably just do a little tour of Alberta.

Appreciate the notes and details - we like picking our parks with good information like yours.

Have fun!

Kim & Christi
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Taos Monte Bello RV Park, El Prado, NM

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »
Unfortunately Henry, Tom is right on.  There will be several campgrounds in Canada on the way to Alaska that are over priced and under cared for. Kind of nature of the beast.  RV Park reviews is a great site to get some inside information on the parks though. 

Just don't expect a lot, and you won't be too disappointed.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:07:34 AM »
Stayed overnight at Fort Nelson triple G RV park. The spaces were large but I could never get on the WiFi. The next day we drove to Muncho lake and parked on the water for $16.00 per night at Macdonalds campground with no services but my favorite so far. After 2 days we moved on to Whitehorse stopping by Laird Hot Springs for a dip and the sign forest in Watson Lake.   Staying at the Hi Country RV Park tonight at $36.00 with small space but I am happy, I have Internet  We took Sarge's advise and went to the Klondike Rib and Salmon BBQ tonight. The service was great the food was good. Tomorrow we will do some shopping and the Follies.
   The roads were fair and only had about 7 miles of gravel roads between Lake Watson and Whitehorse. There was no rain today but the highway dept. wet the gravel down to hold down the dust and the Jeep and RV is covered with mud.
   As for internet and phone service we have none until be arrive at an RV park with Wifi service. I can text on my AT&T for 50 cents each and have a phone calling card. When I get to Alaska I will then have my Hot Spot and phone service restored. I am not trying to write a book just a friendly report on our trip.
   I would like to thank  Sarge, Betty and Marsha for all the help from their post, sure makes traveling to Alaska a lot easier.

Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 01:16:28 AM »
   I would like to thank  Sarge, Betty and Marsha for all the help from their post, sure makes traveling to Alaska a lot easier.

Hey Henry,

You're welcome.  I did the  daily journal  to recall what I had done and hopefully to assist others.  Glad to be of help. I hope you give a report whenever you  get a signal.  We love to hear how much you enjoy the country side. It gives me a chance to relive the  journey!
Betty Brewer

see where we are

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
Enjoy Henry! Alaska is truly and adventure!
Marty--

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 03:13:40 PM »
Tomorrow we will do some shopping and the Follies.

I hope you get a chance to see the big eagle's nest.  As you come from your RV park to downtown Whitehorse, there's the river and a small, unmarked pull-out (maybe room for 3 cars) before you get to the SSKlondike.  As you face the Yukon River, the tree with this huge nest is on your left.  The eagles may be in it, or they also perch on the side of a cliff on the left side of the road, at ground level.  They were always in the area from 9:00-11:00 in the evening.  Look on the light poles and flying over the river, too.  We never saw them there during the day.  That nest must weigh over a ton, and has been there for many years.  Russ told us about it, and he accompanied Betty, but it had been there for his earlier trips, too.  Hope you get to see them.

I hope you get to see the fascinating Beringia Interpretive Center.  Murdock's Gem Shop and the gift shop across from the MacBridge Museum gave the true exchange rate and had interesting pieces (variety of goods, not just gems). 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:17:34 PM by Dean & Linda Stock »
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA
2006 Airstream Motor Home
2006 Jeep Liberty (Towed)

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 05:30:06 PM »
Thanks for the information on the Eagle and we will check it out this evening on our way to the Follies. How far behind us are you guys? I don't know if you know Gary and Andrea Phillips but they are forum members we met in Moab and we touch base with them on there way. They are here next to us in Whitehorse at the Hi Country RV Park. Woke up this morning to alarms going off, the park lost one leg on their 30 amp service and my RV battery went way down. Not good. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:34:41 PM by Henry Wishard »
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 11:26:13 PM »
Woke up this morning to alarms going off, the park lost one leg on their 30 amp service and my RV battery went way down. Not good.
I really hope you get to see the eagles--there were 2 when we were there.  We'll be in Whitehorse in 4-5 days.  We're going through it going and coming, so we may stay just 2 days on our way up.  We don't know the Phillips, but we'd love to meet you all.  We had reservations so we could renew old friendships and meet  Alaska-bound friends in Moab, but our dentist nixed our plans--said I had to get a crown taken care of.  Whitehorse is not where you want to have problems.  We were there for over a week waiting for a part for our inverter 4 years ago. Their mail system and package delivery leaves a LOT to be desired.   Hope you have good power and battery works well tonight.  Happy trails!
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 11:45:11 PM »
I second the Beringia museum.  Fascinating place.  I think that's where we had fireweed jelly in the café and it was really good.  And almost next door is a transportation museum that includes everything from dog sleds to float planes to trains.  Tell Andrea and Gary we said hello.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 01:05:33 AM »
We went to the Follies tonight and looked for the eagle both coming and going with no luck. Maybe on the way back we can catch the eagle and the museum. The electrical problem was the parks and there is a line on empty spots by me tonight. It effected 4 spaces and luckily nothing was harmed on our rig. Maybe we can meet up with Dean & Linda a little further down the line.
    Ardra, I will tell the Phillips you said hello. We are heading out in the morning and don't know where we will land tomorrow evening. One of the locals said there was some problems around Dawson City with flooding.   
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 01:45:26 AM »
Henry,

Hope you have a great time in Alaska. Really sorry we missed you at Yellowstone. I did send a message that I received your note and was sad we were not there when you and Margaret visited.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 09:58:47 AM »
  I am always glad to meet forum members, they are so informative. So full of information especially on this long adventure we are on. I don't know where we would be if it wasn't for Betty, Marsha and Sarge's Journals. Not only helpful but can save you money, time and we enjoy having 3 different point of view.
   Jim I did receive your note and wish Margaret and I could could have met you while in Yellowstone. Maybe in Quartzsite or Moab next year.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »
Henry,

I'm afraid we won't be able to see you in QZ or Moab. We have to go back to FL this coming winter and Moab is after the store opens.  :(
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »
  Maybe one day we will catch you at one of the stores, who knows since we are going to be on the move. We spent the night at White River Lodge and RV park. Enjoyed it and the owners are great people! Sarge was right on about Bob, he is a real character . Taking me fishing this evening.They had some generator problem last night but I never knew anything about it until this morning. Sarge,I haven't been around the fire pit yet but I believe after Bob and I go fishing it's going to be a long night.
    The road from Whitehorse was a little rough in some places and smooth in others, just keep your eyes on the swells  in the road for some of them is not marked.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Gord Nelson

• ---
  • Hey! This was easier when I was just 50!
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
I am jealous. Alaska is still on my bucket list. I am sorry you disliked the Calgary West campground. I always use RV Park Reviews before checking into a campground or RV park. Calgary West gets terrible reviews:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Alberta/Calgary.html#CGID3360
For what it is worth, I find these comments on Calgary to be embarrassing.  I stayed in that Calgary West Campground way back in '95 and it was just as bad then.  So, I have punched off an email to the Calgary Chamber of Commerce with a link to Tom's above posted link.  I added that if they want Americans to stop in their 'beautiful city' they better get their act in order and police a few of the Campground owners who are their source of bad impressions.  Thanks to you guys and your reviews, I'm not stopping in Calgary on my way east this year.
Thankfully, not all of Canada and certainly not all of Alberta put up such an unpleasant experience for travelers.

Gord

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 03:59:28 PM »
LOL Henry! You have been forewarned! Crazy Doc (Bob) is a veteran and will stay up WAY late telling stories.  Bring your Advil for the morning!
Marty--

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »
So, I have punched off an email to the Calgary Chamber of Commerce with a link to Tom's above posted link.  I added that if they want Americans to stop in their 'beautiful city' they better get their act in order and police a few of the Campground owners who are their source of bad impressions. 
Thankfully, not all of Canada and certainly not all of Alberta put up such an unpleasant experience for travelers.

Gord

I love seeing a man of action, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't do it myself.  But, I will also write a letter.  That way they'll know it's not just one unhappy customer.  I second your opinion of Alberta's other campgrounds.  We enjoyed 2 different parks in Edmonton, Royal Embers, which is very nice and closest to town, has a bit of mud after a downpour, and Camp 'n Class, which was perfect in every way, but about 15 minutes further out.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Gord Nelson

• ---
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
Great!  We Canucks are as proud of our Country as you are of yours, I'm sure.  There are some beautiful campgrounds in Canada and my wish for you folks it "to only find the best" on you journey.

We love to see you guys using up fuel driving through our country on your way north.  Now, if we could only figure out a way to buy the same fuel which you buy from us, for the same price we sell it to the US for.   ;) ;)

Actually, I bought diesel just yesterday for 128.9 per liter which is lower than we have seen it for some time.  It was always higher than gasoline, but now our current price for a gallon (Imperial) would be about $6.30 Cdn. compared to $5.80 for the diesel.  That happens each summer as the 'tourist' season comes upon us.  Have never figured out why dealers shoot themselves in the foot that way. After the summer, the price drops somewhat but they have to deal with us...their regular customers...bitching at them all winter. Best prices for diesel right now seems to be at Flying J. stations and for gas try to find a Costco with a gas outlet as a part of it, or Great Canadian Super Stores with Gas pumps.  Best prices usually.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »
Gord, you are a stand  up guy. I wish more Canadians had your attitude. I like how you stand up for your country like I would stand up for mine.  You are welcome in my world anytime. 
Marty--

Gord Nelson

• ---
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »
Thanks Sarge for your kind words.

We Law Enforcement people have to stick together. :)  ;D .
I followed your Alaska trip last year and really enjoyed reading about and seeing your photos of all the parts of Alaska you visited.
The year we visited Alaska (1992) the roads were even worse than they are now. Really had to slow down with the 5thW when you hit those "harmonic frost heaves" or it bounces pretty bad.
Enjoy your new 5er.
Gord

Tourmaster

• ---
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 11:13:51 AM »
WOW Henry I just found this thread and have been wondering how things are going. I will now be following this as I am always interested in your travels. I am jealous and wish we were with you. Alaska is on our bucket list if I can only live long enough. We are stuck here babysitting grandkids and doing house projects while the MH is sitting in the garage. We are looking forward to seeing you and Margaret next winter.
Enjoy your travels.
John & Carol
2009 Winnebago Tour 40 TD

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 08:15:51 PM »
Hello everyone, I will have to apologize for not answering some of the post. Just regained my AT&T service as I crossed into Alaska about 2 hours ago. We have been staying at White River RV park the last couple of days. Amanda and Bob are some of the best people we have  encounterd on the trip, however for the others traveling behind us they had a lot of electrical  issues with their generator. The breakers have been tripping in the night. Amanda came by this morning offering to return our full fee but I had so much fun yesterday I refuse to accept it. They are replacing a large breaker and should have that done in a couple of days. Really enjoyed my stay here and will stop back by on my way home.
   Tonight we are staying at the Tok River State Park for $15.00 a night with no services but right on the banks of the Tok River. It's running fast and furious and off color. The lady at the service station in Tok said it was out of its banks about 2 weeks ago.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

mnmnutswer

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 08:23:08 PM »
Lived in Alaska three years and loved it...
Terry & Kathy Weller
Direct Sales Jewelry
It goes where you are.

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »
  We are loving it too. Will be living here the next 3months.
Seen our first grizzly right along the highway around Destruction Bay.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:06:21 PM by Henry Wishard »
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 11:48:02 AM »
Wow, Henry, three months.  I'm jealous!  Great pic of the Grizzly.  Keep 'em coming.

Steve
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

Hosted by Over The Network