Mile Zero to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just bring some Halibut back to the lower 48.  We will have the grill hot when you get here.  Look forward to hearing more about Alaska soon.

Henry Wishard said:
  I tell everyone you have to be a "Philadelphia Lawyer" to fish in Alaska. You can be fishing on one side of the river and the other side has different regulations.
LMAO...So true. 

Going back halibut fishing Thursday. If I don't eat it all before I make Oklahoma. Gary and I are going Salmon fishing in the morning.

Pictures of the dip netters at the mouth of the Kenai River. The other is of our salmon catch for today. Tomorrow we are off Halibut fishing.

Attachments

• Dip net and fishing 003.JPG
    Dip net and fishing 003.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Dip net and fishing 007.JPG
    Dip net and fishing 007.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Dip net and fishing 008.JPG
    Dip net and fishing 008.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 46
  I guess everyone is getting tired of fish but I have to post this one of yesterdays Halibut trip. The tides were worst ever for fishing but I was lucky enough to catch this one. Only 3 fish taken in all day on the boat.

Attachments

• Ninichik Halibut fishing 010.JPG
    Ninichik Halibut fishing 010.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Ninichik Halibut fishing 021.JPG
    Ninichik Halibut fishing 021.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 58
Henry:

If you can't handle all that Halibut just bring it on down!

I think I will be able to handle it just fine. Took a day off and rested today. Might be back to fishing tomorrow. Can't believe the weather here. It has been great with very little rain. The locals say its the best weather they have had in years. Had a little rain in the night for the first time in a couple of weeks but turned off clear all day. We will be in Soldotna until Monday and then back to Anchorage for the night and on to Valdez. Hope to do some fishing there also.

HI Henry and Margaret:  We loved hearing from you today!  Got on the webpage to find your Notes.  Looks like you guys are having the time of your lives!  Love it.  Love the pictures and I can hardly wait till it's our turn!!  Only a few more years and we'll be right behind ya!  I told Bruce what you said about the steering wheel and we ran out in the garage and sure enough, You were right!!! The steering wheel of the jeep turns easily without the key!  Thanks for the info.  Now we know how to pull that little "TOAD".  Love this site so we'll be watching your travels.  Looking forward to seeing you guys on your way back down to the lower 50!  Be safe.

Henry:

Are you eating all that fish? It would take a lot of freezers to bring it back to the lower 48.

Jeff we are eating all we can. We have had some smoked and tomorrow dropping some off to be canned at Indian Valley Cannery. They will ship it back to us via USPS flat rate. Maybe we will have some for QZ.
  Deby,I see  you found the site. Glad to be of help on the Jeep. I pull mine with the keys in my pocket and transfer case in neutral, transmission  in park. See you guys on our way home. Oh! We live in our home, almost forgot.

Yes, Thanks Henry, you were very helpful and informative about the jeep.  May save us lots of trouble in the future.  Hey, let us know when you are leaving Alaska so we can clear our schedule while you are here.  Very excited to see you guys.  I am going to invite the Folks up to visit too.....see if I can get Leon to drive that new car up here.  HA  Looking forward to some fireside chats. 

We are like Susie, Having to much fun to post. We have been in Valdez for the past 4 days and plan on moving on to Copper Center Monday. Hopefully I can find a few pieces of Diamond willow for some walking sticks.
  Lots of things to do here in Valdez. Today is the start of Gold Rush Days with a free fish fry tonight. We have been on the Columbia Glacier cruise and made several run out to the fish hatchery to view the fish and the Bears feeding on them. The fish are so thick I believe you could walk on them. Yesterday I went down from the hatchery about 1/4 mile and caught and release fish for a solid hour. I must have caught 25.
  We have seen Bears, Killer Whales,Sea lions,Eagles & Otters. Here are a few pics of the Valdez area

Attachments

• Valdez 006.JPG
    Valdez 006.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Valdez 049.JPG
    Valdez 049.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Valdez 074.JPG
    Valdez 074.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Valdez 091.JPG
    Valdez 091.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Valdez 098.JPG
    Valdez 098.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Valdez Glacier Tour Columbia 049.JPG
    Valdez Glacier Tour Columbia 049.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Valdez Glacier Tour Columbia 011.JPG
    Valdez Glacier Tour Columbia 011.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Valdez Glacier Tour Columbia 112.JPG
    Valdez Glacier Tour Columbia 112.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Valdez Glacier Tour Columbia 173.JPG
    Valdez Glacier Tour Columbia 173.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Valdez Glacier Tour Columbia 179.JPG
    Valdez Glacier Tour Columbia 179.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Bear pictures Valdez 051.JPG
    Bear pictures Valdez 051.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 36
Your beautiful photos are sure making me want to return to Alaska.  Thank you so much for taking the  time to share. 

Betty

Betty Brewer said:
Your beautiful photos are sure making me want to return to Alaska.  Thank you so much for taking the  time to share. 

Betty

Betty,
Why not? Next year?

ken

Currently back in Deer Lake ($391 fuel fill today!), headed to Twillingate tomorrow. Great day in Labrador yesterday.

Henry,
Please leave some of the good weather for next year! We loved Valdez.

ken

Wow Henry, more great pics!  You and Margaret look like you are having the time of your life.  I can't wait to go, but it's many years away for me before I can take that much time off.  But i am keeping notes of where to go and what to see.  Hope I have your success when I go fishing there.  Thanks for taking the time to post your adventures with all of us.

Steve & Dee

Valdez is one of our favorite places in Alaska. As your pictures show, there is a lot to do and see there. Can't wait to get back.
Thanks for the beautiful pictures and accounts of your adventure.
Indiana Journey

Thanks too all for your reply's. Gary and Andra came by this morning and we headed for the hatchery and caught some Pink Salmon.I didn't care to much for the color of the fish after cleaning them so I pawned my share off on Gary. They say the are very good smoked or canned.
  I hope everyone who comes to Alaska the next few years has the same luck with the weather. Today is the first day that it has rained on us during the trip. We have had a couple of showers at night. Thanks again to everyone for your reply's

Great pictures Henry. I also want to go there as soon as possible. What a beautiful part of USA. Wildlife is what I love to see mainly. And yes, fishing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom