EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Mile Zero to Alaska  (Read 24612 times)

SaltyAdventurer

• ---
Re: Mile Zero to Alaska
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 10:14:14 PM »
Thanks for the comments about the White River Rv Park, Henry...we're scheduled to stay there, too. And the park in Tok...didn't know of it but it sounds great. Great pictures.  I will keep up with your posts...hope we can meet up with you and Margaret this summer.
Klondike Susie aka Salty Adventurer
2013 Itasca Reyo (25', no toad)
Married to oldedit
Resides in Denver CO area & Silverthorne CO

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 10:35:19 PM »
...hope we can meet up with you and Margaret this summer.

The RVForum at it's BEST is uniting unknown friends.  Many many points in meeting up with Texan's Margaret and Henry! We met oldedit and Salty adventure  on Hop Skip and Jump in Utah a couple of years ago. I am enjoying your adventures from my easy chair along the Clark Fork River in Idaho!!
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
Henry and Margaret.
Looks like you are having a ball. I am sorry now not to change my mind and fallow you on this adventure. Only one thing would make me feel better and that would be if you decide to do Alaska once more with us.
Olga and I wish you safe trip and only enjoyment with out any problems during your journey.
By the way, Monkey asked me for jalapeno peppers with cream cheese and bacon Texas style. ;D   
Australian travelling US in  ACE 29.2
http://www.aussiepythons.com/

Henry Wishard

• ---
  • Gone Crazy*** Be Back Soon
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »
   We are in Tok for a few days waiting on our mail. Looks like it will be here tomorrow "Monday". Thanks to everyone for the great comments and all the helpful information we have received along our journey.
   Last night the Tok RV Village had a small band playing here in the park. A great group of musicians playing Alaskan Sweetgrass music. They play as announced and if you get a chance definitely go listen to them. The admission is free so I bought one of their CD's to help support them.
  We are heading to Chicken this morning for a Jeep run, Betty, ask Terry if I should "air down" Ha! Jan, I don't think they will let your monkey in thru Canada. We might come back next year if Margaret wins the lotto.
   We have lost Andrea and Gary somewhere between Whitehorse and Tok. They might have taken the Dawson City route. The AT&T service is great here in Tok and I picked it up right after crossing into Alaska.   
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »

We are heading to Chicken this morning for a Jeep run, Betty, ask Terry if I should "air down" Ha! 

Henry, We took our motorhome to Chicken so I don't think you will have to air down.  Do be careful though of the big tour busses who come up around corners toward you very fast.  I think they  are full of passengers from Cruise ships who are out on a day trip!

I  bought  a few really nice souvenirs in Tok.  Saw a marble fish, didn't buy it, was sorry all of the trip.  BUT on our way  back home we came through Tok again and behold my  fish was still there so I happily  purchased it. A lottery win would sure make some things easier !
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 12:57:03 AM »
  We drove to Chicken today for a day trip. Very interesting. Had a cold beer at the Saloon and lunch at Mosquito Fork. Boy those mosquitoes also have knifes and spoons.
   Finally Gary and Andrea caught up with us and are parked next to us tonight. They plan on going to Chicken tomorrow and on to Dawson City in their Jeep and leave their motor home here at Tok.
 Here are a few pics from today's adventure. Off to Fairbanks tomorrow if our mail comes in.

Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »
Glad you are having good time . Next year Henry we can do this trip on low budget. We save on food and live on your fishing. Price of salmon is holding up so far. ;D

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 11:46:11 PM »
Does Andrea know that she made quite an entrance along the East Coast?  The first named storm during the 2013 hurricane season!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 12:44:20 AM »
Will see Gary & Andrea tomorrow and I will ask her.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 12:51:06 AM »
   We are in Fairbanks for the next several days. Buying my season fishing license tomorrow.Hope to be catching some fish soon. We will see if I can catch enough fish to feed Jan next year. Hope is Monkey doesn't eat much. We are staying at the River's Edge RV Park $42.00 a night.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »
I heard that Alaska fishing is really good. Hope you have some good catches Henry. If yes, please sent photo.
Regarding Monkey eating fish, That would be good. He don't brush his teeth and maybe that would stop Olga taking him to the bed. For some reason she prefer him than me. Don't know why. I feel bit like second fiddles here now when monkey join us.
Henry give kiss from me to Margaret and have great time guys.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
Henry,
We loved Fairbanks.  If you have time  visit the place where they store all the  ice carvings from the annual contest.  It was fascinating to see what can be carved in ice.  I even went down an ice  slide. So so many things to do and see.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 01:12:09 AM »
Sorry I haven't posted in awhile my computer went haywire. We are in Fairbanks re-supplying. They have Sam's,Walmart and 2 of the largest Fred Myers stores we have ever seen. Bought fishing license, bear spray, lures and groceries at Fred's. Restocked water, beer, wine and steaks at Sam's.
  Will be moving on to Cantwell tomorrow to do some fishing and then to Denali. Yesterday we drove out to Chena Hot Spring and then over to the Gold Dredge. We saw a couple of Moose on the way to the Hot Springs and one by the Gold Dredge. Not a lot of scenery here to see but we believe it will improve tomorrow.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
Henry, just found your travel thread and read through it all.  Sounds like you and Margaret are having a great time.  Chrystal and I are happy for you yet somewhat jealous as we want to make Alaska our first  trip once we retire (still quite a few years away).

Chrystal and I are in Moab right now and missing everyone from the rally.

We hope you have a safe journey and enjoy reading about your travels. 

Please tell Gary and Andrea hello for us.

Mike & Chrystal.
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
   Hello Mike, glad to hear from you. I love Moab and will see you guys there next year. We are seeing a lot of great country and lots of wildlife. Gary and Andrea are parked right behind us and we are all moving out to Denali today. I will make sure to give them a howdy from you guys. Try to keep your Jeep on all four. Check out the  pic's I took a few days ago. 
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
Fantastic pictures Henry.  I was showing them to Chrystal and we are wanting to go to Alaska even more now.

By the way, I am not the one who needs to be concerned with keeping the Jeep on all fours. ;D

Have fun and keep us updated.

Mike & Chrystal.
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2013, 01:32:35 AM »
I think I know what you are talking about Mike. Anyway I relayed your message to Gary and Andrea. We are at Denali RV Park. For 2 nights then we will move into the park Sunday after all the locals leave for the weekend. The weather is great and the sky is clear for viewing Mt. McKinley.
   The park camping is only $14.00 a night for us seniors. That is lowest camping fees I have payed so far into this trip. Denali  RV park is a little higher at $42.00.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2013, 08:32:05 AM »
Take advantage of the view.  It doesn't happen very much.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2013, 12:31:37 PM »
Hi Henry, I love reading your post.  Tim and I recalling our trip.  The scenery will most definitely change once you get toward Denali and then further in toward the ports.  Enjoy every minute of it.

Keep the updates coming.

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 12:58:34 AM »
Thanks, we a took a few pics today and will be heading into the park tomorrow.The pick of Mt. McKinley was taken in Cantwell, we will probably lose our internet service in the park, however Gary called me today from within. Today wasn't as clear as yesterday but I hope tomorrow will be clear for our viewing further into the park.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 01:02:47 AM »
Forgot to mention the RV in the above pics is a 1969 Dodge. Talked to the owner a lad about 35yrs old and he has been traveling around Alaska and working on oil platforms. Said it runs like a top and has 2 a/c on top.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2013, 10:14:57 PM »
Henry and Margaret.
Olga and I watching all your posts and photos. Some of the photos are unreal. So much beauty. Hope that all is well with you all the way up and back.
By the way, I posted something in 4x4 driving section on this forum you can relate to mate. Have a look.

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2013, 01:10:31 AM »
   Thanks Jan I will check it our. We have spent 4 fantastic days at Denali with the hottest and clearest days they have had in years. You can only run your generator 4pm to 8pm in the evening and 2 hours in the morning. The only good part was the clear days and $14.00 a night.
    We went with Gary and Andrea to the Cabin Nite Theater at McKinley Chalet Resort, the food was outstanding and the entertainment was good as well. Had a coupon in our Tour saver book.
   I am posting a few pics of our bus tour into Denali to Eielson Visitor Center. At mile 15 we saw our first grizzly in Alaska. Wow! What a day it was. If you take the bus go early in the morning and the wildlife will be out. We saw mountain goats, red fox, caribou, grizzly and lots of squirrels. 
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2013, 01:41:01 AM »
   Thanks Jan I will check it our. We have spent 4 fantastic days at Denali with the hottest and clearest days they have had in years.

Thanks for the great pictures, especially the bear!  I can't wait to get there tomorrow!
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA
2006 Airstream Motor Home
2006 Jeep Liberty (Towed)

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »
Henry,  glad you are having such a great time.  What a difference the weather makes.  Last year on our trip when we did that tour trip into Denali, we saw 20 grizzlies and a wolf.  Lots of baby grizzlies.  But it was cold and rainy.  However, we did not get a good look at Mt. McKinley

Keep the posts coming!

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »
Unbelievable shots of  McKinley.  We  had to wait for days to get a glimpse of the mountain above the clouds in a  little plane using oxygen!

Your shots are wonderful.  I think I did see that same fox while in Denali.  Loving your episodes!  Keep em coming! 
Betty Brewer

see where we are

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »
Fantastic pictures Henry.  Thank you for sharing them with us.

Mike.
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2013, 05:37:26 PM »
Henry, has anyone told you how lucky you are to have seen the lady in all her glory??  We had people tell us they lived there for six months before they saw McKinley without being shrouded in clouds.  We also were lucky with a couple of days with perfect visibility.  The day we took the bus into the park the driver was so excited he got out his camera.  Said he was getting the best photos he had ever gotten.  Sounds like you're really enjoying your little trip north!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2013, 01:39:39 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your replies, today was a first for me. Margaret and I ,are camping at Eagle River Campground (Chugach State Park). We were in town when we ran across a moose and two calves in town. One of the calves was trapped in a playground. I got out of my jeep and entered the playground and with the help of another we managed to get the calf out of the fenced area. The mother jumped the fence with ease but after seeing the calf was back outside of the fence once again cleared the fence and her and the calves were on there way. We had traffic stopped both ways on the road. What an exciting day we had. Of course my Camera was back in the rig since we were just riding into town.
   This is a very nice campground, no hook ups  but very nice. 10 miles from Anchorage and a couple of miles to Eagle River. You can stay 4 days at $15.00 a night.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »
Henry,

We have a rule - never leave home without a camera. And we don't!

Those pictures would have been priceless, but the adventure still is imprinted in your brain. Bravo for your efforts!
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Wanderlust RV Park, Eureka Springs, AR

Hosted by Over The Network