Mile Zero to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL Henry! You have been forewarned! Crazy Doc (Bob) is a veteran and will stay up WAY late telling stories.  Bring your Advil for the morning!

Gord Nelson said:
So, I have punched off an email to the Calgary Chamber of Commerce with a link to Tom's above posted link.  I added that if they want Americans to stop in their 'beautiful city' they better get their act in order and police a few of the Campground owners who are their source of bad impressions. 
Thankfully, not all of Canada and certainly not all of Alberta put up such an unpleasant experience for travelers.

Gord

I love seeing a man of action, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't do it myself.  But, I will also write a letter.  That way they'll know it's not just one unhappy customer.  I second your opinion of Alberta's other campgrounds.  We enjoyed 2 different parks in Edmonton, Royal Embers, which is very nice and closest to town, has a bit of mud after a downpour, and Camp 'n Class, which was perfect in every way, but about 15 minutes further out.

Great!  We Canucks are as proud of our Country as you are of yours, I'm sure.  There are some beautiful campgrounds in Canada and my wish for you folks it "to only find the best" on you journey.

We love to see you guys using up fuel driving through our country on your way north.  Now, if we could only figure out a way to buy the same fuel which you buy from us, for the same price we sell it to the US for.  ;) ;)

Actually, I bought diesel just yesterday for 128.9 per liter which is lower than we have seen it for some time.  It was always higher than gasoline, but now our current price for a gallon (Imperial) would be about $6.30 Cdn. compared to $5.80 for the diesel.  That happens each summer as the 'tourist' season comes upon us.  Have never figured out why dealers shoot themselves in the foot that way. After the summer, the price drops somewhat but they have to deal with us...their regular customers...bitching at them all winter. Best prices for diesel right now seems to be at Flying J. stations and for gas try to find a Costco with a gas outlet as a part of it, or Great Canadian Super Stores with Gas pumps.  Best prices usually.

Gord, you are a stand  up guy. I wish more Canadians had your attitude. I like how you stand up for your country like I would stand up for mine.  You are welcome in my world anytime. 

Thanks Sarge for your kind words.

We Law Enforcement people have to stick together. :)  ;D .
I followed your Alaska trip last year and really enjoyed reading about and seeing your photos of all the parts of Alaska you visited.
The year we visited Alaska (1992) the roads were even worse than they are now. Really had to slow down with the 5thW when you hit those "harmonic frost heaves" or it bounces pretty bad.
Enjoy your new 5er.
Gord

WOW Henry I just found this thread and have been wondering how things are going. I will now be following this as I am always interested in your travels. I am jealous and wish we were with you. Alaska is on our bucket list if I can only live long enough. We are stuck here babysitting grandkids and doing house projects while the MH is sitting in the garage. We are looking forward to seeing you and Margaret next winter.
Enjoy your travels.

Hello everyone, I will have to apologize for not answering some of the post. Just regained my AT&T service as I crossed into Alaska about 2 hours ago. We have been staying at White River RV park the last couple of days. Amanda and Bob are some of the best people we have  encounterd on the trip, however for the others traveling behind us they had a lot of electrical  issues with their generator. The breakers have been tripping in the night. Amanda came by this morning offering to return our full fee but I had so much fun yesterday I refuse to accept it. They are replacing a large breaker and should have that done in a couple of days. Really enjoyed my stay here and will stop back by on my way home.
  Tonight we are staying at the Tok River State Park for $15.00 a night with no services but right on the banks of the Tok River. It's running fast and furious and off color. The lady at the service station in Tok said it was out of its banks about 2 weeks ago.

We are loving it too. Will be living here the next 3months.
Seen our first grizzly right along the highway around Destruction Bay.

Attachments

• First Grizzly 005.JPG
    First Grizzly 005.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 62
  • First Grizzly 002.JPG
    First Grizzly 002.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 52
Wow, Henry, three months.  I'm jealous!  Great pic of the Grizzly.  Keep 'em coming.

Steve

Thanks for the comments about the White River Rv Park, Henry...we're scheduled to stay there, too. And the park in Tok...didn't know of it but it sounds great. Great pictures.  I will keep up with your posts...hope we can meet up with you and Margaret this summer.

SaltyAdventurer said:
...hope we can meet up with you and Margaret this summer.

The RVForum at it's BEST is uniting unknown friends.  Many many points in meeting up with Texan's Margaret and Henry! We met oldedit and Salty adventure  on Hop Skip and Jump in Utah a couple of years ago. I am enjoying your adventures from my easy chair along the Clark Fork River in Idaho!!

Henry and Margaret.
Looks like you are having a ball. I am sorry now not to change my mind and fallow you on this adventure. Only one thing would make me feel better and that would be if you decide to do Alaska once more with us.
Olga and I wish you safe trip and only enjoyment with out any problems during your journey.
By the way, Monkey asked me for jalapeno peppers with cream cheese and bacon Texas style. ;D 

We are in Tok for a few days waiting on our mail. Looks like it will be here tomorrow "Monday". Thanks to everyone for the great comments and all the helpful information we have received along our journey.
  Last night the Tok RV Village had a small band playing here in the park. A great group of musicians playing Alaskan Sweetgrass music. They play as announced and if you get a chance definitely go listen to them. The admission is free so I bought one of their CD's to help support them.
  We are heading to Chicken this morning for a Jeep run, Betty, ask Terry if I should "air down" Ha! Jan, I don't think they will let your monkey in thru Canada. We might come back next year if Margaret wins the lotto.
  We have lost Andrea and Gary somewhere between Whitehorse and Tok. They might have taken the Dawson City route. The AT&T service is great here in Tok and I picked it up right after crossing into Alaska.   

Henry Wishard said:

We are heading to Chicken this morning for a Jeep run, Betty, ask Terry if I should "air down" Ha! 

Henry, We took our motorhome to Chicken so I don't think you will have to air down.  Do be careful though of the big tour busses who come up around corners toward you very fast.  I think they  are full of passengers from Cruise ships who are out on a day trip!

I  bought  a few really nice souvenirs in Tok.  Saw a marble fish, didn't buy it, was sorry all of the trip.  BUT on our way  back home we came through Tok again and behold my  fish was still there so I happily  purchased it. A lottery win would sure make some things easier !

We drove to Chicken today for a day trip. Very interesting. Had a cold beer at the Saloon and lunch at Mosquito Fork. Boy those mosquitoes also have knifes and spoons.
  Finally Gary and Andrea caught up with us and are parked next to us tonight. They plan on going to Chicken tomorrow and on to Dawson City in their Jeep and leave their motor home here at Tok.
Here are a few pics from today's adventure. Off to Fairbanks tomorrow if our mail comes in.

Attachments

• Trip to Chicken 001.JPG
    Trip to Chicken 001.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Trip to Chicken 003.JPG
    Trip to Chicken 003.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Trip to Chicken 004.JPG
    Trip to Chicken 004.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Trip to Chicken 005.JPG
    Trip to Chicken 005.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Trip to Chicken 007.JPG
    Trip to Chicken 007.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 61
Glad you are having good time . Next year Henry we can do this trip on low budget. We save on food and live on your fishing. Price of salmon is holding up so far. ;D

Does Andrea know that she made quite an entrance along the East Coast?  The first named storm during the 2013 hurricane season!

ArdraF

We are in Fairbanks for the next several days. Buying my season fishing license tomorrow.Hope to be catching some fish soon. We will see if I can catch enough fish to feed Jan next year. Hope is Monkey doesn't eat much. We are staying at the River's Edge RV Park $42.00 a night.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom