Mile Zero to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Henry,
  I assume this means your bringing salmon to Moab next year to feed everyone at the rally?  ;)  Great pics.  Glad to see your trip is such a success.

Steve & Dee

Steve N Dee said:
  I assume this means your bringing salmon to Moab next year to feed everyone at the rally? 

Actually I was hoping for smoked Salmon at Quartzsite.  I'm glad you are enjoying your Alaskan adventure so much.  Looks like you will have LOTS of highlights from your trip.

Betty

My suggestion is to dry ice 'em and FedEx 'em back to us in the lower 48 so we can test drive 'em...we'll let you know if you need to stay longer and catch more! I don't think that's too much to ask....

Jan said he'd help cook 'em...

Wow Henry what a catch. You must be on top of the moon. I am really jealous. Just please don't fight with the bears over salmons.

Bought an new freezer today to make room for more fish.Hopefully I will catch more. The weather has turned off a little cool and have had some rain. This is the first time we have experience bad weather since we arrived.
  As for as shipping salmon we will be freezing it and driving  it back. Mostly to protect it from Jan, Tim and Steve.

Henry isn't catching Alaskan fish great? The only downside is the freight!

We have moved from Edgewater Rv in Soldotna back to Cooper Landing waiting arrival of the kids. Went fishing this evening landed 4 Salmon and must have caught 10 but they fight so hard I lost them before I could get them in the net. Coming back down the boardwalk I ran into 2 grizzly crossing the Russian River toward the boardwalk. I started shouting and making noise and they went back where they came from. The park ranger told me one was shot by a fisherman last week when the bear approached him and his young daughter.     
    Sad news in Soldotna yesterday when 10 people died in a plane crash just a mile from where we were parked. Our hearts go out to the family of the one lost in this terrible accident.

Sad thing about the plain crash Henry.
Regarding the fishing, I love when fish fight, that makes the fishing real fun.
I can imagine to see you screaming when you approach bears. You should learn some good songs so you don't look ridiculous.
Maybe some of your Texans songs will do mate.
Enjoy your time with your family and feed them salmon 3 times a day.

Back fishing again today, caught 4 more not counting the one I had on the bank that flopped back into the river. Looks like that new freezer I bought is going to come in handy. The 2nd salmon run hasn't started yet but I can't wait. The fish are getting bigger and starting to turn light pink.
  The grand kids and Son left Houston today around 2:30 pm and should arrive around 7:30 pm Alaskan time. We have loads of  activity line up for them to keep them busy. My son will be camping out in a tent. I didn't want my grand kids becoming bear supper so they will be sleeping in the RV.

Henry Wishard said:
  Back fishing again today, caught 4 more not counting the one I had on the bank that flopped back into the river. Looks like that new freezer I bought is going to come in handy. The 2nd salmon run hasn't started yet but I can't wait. The fish are getting bigger and starting to turn light pink.
  The grand kids and Son left Houston today around 2:30 pm and should arrive around 7:30 pm Alaskan time. We have loads of  activity line up for them to keep them busy. My son will be camping out in a tent. I didn't want my grand kids becoming bear supper so they will be sleeping in the RV.

Henry,

Susan and I will be coming through Soldotna and Cooper Landing on Sunday. If there is a chance we could meet, please send one of us a private message about when and where you'd like to get together. Also, where are you parked? We might be able to join you.

Don

Henry, I think I want to stay in/near Cooper Landing Sunday night on our way towards Whittier for the Monday night ferry. Will you still be there then? Where are you staying? Do you mind of we come stay near you? I'd love to meet you and say Hi!

Henry & Margaret:

It was good to talk with you guys today.  We know you're enjoying the Son and Grandkids up there.
Be sure and bring Halibut back with you and stop by Oklahoma.  We will grill some up and enjoy a planning
session for this fall.  Hope to see you soon.  Keep posting pictures.  We love your adventure.

Larry & Loretta

Sorry everyone I have had computer problems and just solved the problem temporally.  I have been in Homer the last three days and will be moving back to Princess RV park tomorrow 7/16/13. Anyone  is invited to come and stay at any park I am at. We love to meet people especially Framily members.
  We have been very busy with the grand kids, Glaciers tours in Whittier, halibut fishing in Homer and fishing and bear watching on the Russian River. We caught 2 Halibut each today and had fresh Halibut tonight.I will post some pictures later.

Hi Henry,

We love the Princess RV Park in Copper Landing.  Have you tried the restaurant on the hill?  It was great last year.  Also if the grandkids are still there, a couple of places offer a float trip down the river that was fun.

Marsha~

Thanks Marsha, We have already booked a river trip Thursday and also like Princess RV Park. This is our third stay since we have been here at Cooper Landing. The grand kids both have seen bear today and boy are they excited.

Bears were all over the Russian river today. My son was staying in a tent at Russian River Campground and awoke with a bear outside of his tent. We went fishing and you could hear the sound of gunshots all morning. People were trying the scare the bears away. Sure wish I could have brought my pistol with me.
  Posting a few pics from our Halibut trip.

Attachments

• Halibut fishing 034.JPG
    Halibut fishing 034.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Halibut fishing 029.JPG
    Halibut fishing 029.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Whittier 114.JPG
    Whittier 114.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Whittier 027.JPG
    Whittier 027.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Whittier 103.JPG
    Whittier 103.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Whittier 140.JPG
    Whittier 140.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Whittier 054.JPG
    Whittier 054.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Whittier 032.JPG
    Whittier 032.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Whittier 123.JPG
    Whittier 123.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Whittier 119.JPG
    Whittier 119.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Whittier 133.JPG
    Whittier 133.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Whittier 103.JPG
    Whittier 103.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 35
Nice photos, Henry.  It looks a wee bit on the chilly side!  Of course, for people down here wishing it were a little cooler maybe it will help just to look at the ice floes.  Was the one photo at sunrise?  Interesting colors with the water looking silvery.

ArdraF

Thanks Ardra, Yes the picture was taken as we went out for our morning fishing trip. However it's not getting dark here now just a little dusty looking in the early morning. That's our grandson with his first halibut at 13 years old. It took me 69 years to get my first. Ha!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom