EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Canada's New Duty Free Limits: June 1, 2012  (Read 5149 times)

Steve, CDN

• ---
  • VA3VH
    • The Pallys
Canada's New Duty Free Limits: June 1, 2012
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:58:14 AM »
Effective June 1, 2012, Canadian residents returning to Canada will benefit from increases to personal exemption limits.

Complete official information on the Canadian Border Service Agencies website

In summary, the duty-free limit on visits of more than 24 hours quadruples, rising from $50 to $200, effective June 1.

As well, any visit longer than 48 hours allows Canadians to return with duty-free goods worth up to $800. That's an increase from the previous rules of $400 for up to a week, and $750 for longer than a week.

For stays of less than 24 hours, there's no change: the allowance for duty-free goods remains at zero.
Steve, Forum Moderator
Home Page
My Polar Bear Mural

RoyM

• ---
Re: Canada's New Duty Free Limits: June 1, 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:21:36 AM »
Liquor and tobacco are unchanged.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Karsty

• ---
  • Niagara Falls, Ontario CANADA
    • PBASE PHOTO GALLERYS
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 07:24:58 PM »
Effective June 1, 2012, Canadian residents returning to Canada will benefit from increases to personal exemption limits.

Complete official information on the Canadian Border Service Agencies website

For stays of less than 24 hours, there's no change: the allowance for duty-free goods remains at zero.

Just a small point of clarification. Many goods today do not have any duty or taxes ... i.e.: groceries. So most border shoppers can do day trips and return to Canada with groceries and not have to pay any duty or taxes.

Although they say the allowance is zero for stays less than 24 hours, if most cases that is not the case. I find from personal experience that 90% of the time I can cross with $100 or less and just be "waved through". Not always so be prepared to pay if necessary. Also if you bring 6-18 bottles/cans of beer over on a day trip in most cases they will wave you through as well.

It does vary ... just make sure you declare everything. It's not worth getting caught over a few bucks.
2012 Winnebago ERA.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:16:32 AM »
It does vary ... just make sure you declare everything. It's not worth getting caught over a few bucks.

Yeh!! You never know, you may the one of the X% of persons that are sent 'inside' for no obvious reason and then are subjected to a search of the vehicle.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:18:23 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Hosted by Over The Network