Montreal: New Major East West Bypass Highway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

Having traveled this route for decades, on my way to and from Quebec City and Ottawa, I was pleased to experience the brand new highway 30 opened in January 2013 to bypass the entire City of Montreal.

Provincial highway 30, a divided freeway (60 mph / 100 k/hr) has been under construction for nearly twenty years, with unconnected segments in use over the years.

The road is now completed, and can be accessed from the West from Ontario 417 from Ottawa,as well as Ontario 401 from Toronto, and I-85 coming from Syracuse.

Highway 30 can be used to access Quebec 15 that connects with I-87, Quebec 10 that connects with I-81 and the Eastern Townships including Quebec 55 that leads to I-81.

Most important is the ability to connect to  Quebec 20, that goes to Quebec City, the Gasp? Peninsula and ultimately to the Maritimes: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland.

Before Highway 30 became available, it was necessary to cross the City of Montreal along congested, poorly maintained complicated roads, with signage that leaves a lot to be desired.

Highway 30 is well indicated, except for those traveling West, the signs indicate Vaudreuil/ Dorion as the destination, with no reference to Ottawa and Toronto....(go figure)

Eastbound destination is shown as Sorel / Tracy which is correct, so routing has to be set for the appropriate intersecting expressway.

Important Note:  Although the road is a freeway, there is one toll to cross the bridge over the St. Lawrence River at the far West end of the Highway 30 at Beauharnois.  Toll for a car is $1.50 while for large vehicles, motorhomes the toll is $1.15 per axle.

GPS maps may not yet have been updated with the entire road, but Google Maps does show the completed road.  The street views of Google Maps show the road in the final phases of construction with lane closures, but the road as of May 29, 2013 is completely finished, divided and with lights and signs installed.

More information on the Quebec websites:

http://www.autoroute30.qc.ca/en/
http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/page/portal/grands_projets/grands_projets_termines/parachevement_a30

(Use Google translate for the French text)

Thanks for this. I always hated driving through Montreal. It's like being thrown into a race that you don't want to enter.

I came up from Vermont 3 weeks ago.  15 to 10 to 30. It was beautiful. Montreal traffic is such a mess. All of Route 30 is not on my GPS .  I'll have to check for an update.

I forgot to pass along that we took the new by-pass on our way home last week end.  As you said Steve, the only problem is with the signage  :mad:  Coming east, there is only a sign showing the exit to HWY 20, which is the one you need to take, otherwise you will end up detouring from Sorel back to the 20.
    That aside it eliminates all the traffic problems of heading through the Metropolitan BLVD (HWY 40) to HWY 25 through the Lafontaine Tunnel, to 20, a few miles from where the 30 meets it.
    Although we have yet to take it going west, I would guess that it is much more straight forward by the look of the interchanges.
    Anyone wanting to visit Montreal will find various campgrounds on the south shore or on either side of Montreal, so using the by-pass won't effect your ability to find a campsite.

Ed

I meant to mention that we went from Ottawa to Decarie & Queen Mary on Thursday, along with an obligatory lunch at Celine Dion's Schwartz's.  Getting to my Aunts had a bit of a tie up leading up to Decarie (Autoroute 15), but not too bad.  However, when we left at about 6:30, we were stop and go all the way until we got off the Island, it took over 3 hours to get the 120 miles to our daughter's place in Ottawa.  And that didn't include A 40 to and through the tunnel.  A 30 is a hit with us!  Thanks for telling us about it.

Ed

Highway 30 is well indicated, except for those traveling West, the signs indicate Vaudreuil/ Dorion as the destination, with no reference to Ottawa and Toronto....(go figure)

Nah.... Who would ever want to go to either of those towns???? :eek:  Vaudreuil/Dorion is THE place!!  (Heh, heh)

(I did submit a "heads up" to Garmin.....  FWIW )

Steve said:
What???

Do you mean to say she is now the owner of the revered Schwartz's Delicatessen?  :eek:

Only as one of the many partners currently  involved with this well know Deli.

Stop It!!! you are making my mouth water!!

It remains the BEST smoked meat I've ever eaten :)  Regardless of who or how many owners it has.  My aunt and my mom had apartments nearby in the 40's, and it is still my aunt's favourite place to eat.

Ed

Pete's is actually on Ile Perrot just before (or after) the Ste Anne de Bellevue  bridge. Look for the Dairy Queen at Blvd Perrot on the east bound side of the 20,  and it is just behind it on 1st av.  And it IS good. They may buy from Schwartz's, don't know for sure.

I have never actually had bad smoked meat from any deli in or around Montreal.  But for nostalgiea and IMHO Schwatz's is way above all others.  My grandparents were married only a few blocks south, my mom had an apartment near there during WW II, and the fact that they sell so much that they are the only deli that does not need to use a preservative.  So, I'll keep eating there when ever I can.

Ed

At least in Montreal there still remain a few deli's where you can get a smoke meat sandwich....Now that we live in Ottawa, there is not place that serves smoke meat..sadly.

However, when we visit family in Mississauga, we always make a pilgrimage to Peter's On Eglinton which is reminiscent of New York style deli's and the way Ben's used to serve smoke meat in the old days. 

Being a red blooded American boy I hate to say this,but the smoked meat I've had in the Montreal area is better than anything I've had in the  U.S.A.. Love the surprise of a whole peppercorn every couple bites.

Druxy's Deli in Ontario..used to work just down from one..amazing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom