Great Alaska Adventure - 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We did a 26 glaciers cruise out of Whittier and one in Prince William Sound out of Valdez.  Both were wonderful!  The one from Valdez was the last of the day.  The captain had been talking with a shrimper and asked if anyone had to keep a schedule because we could go out to the shrimper and buy just-caught shrimp.  We all jumped at the chance and those were the best shrimp we've ever eaten.  They handed across one pound bags of shrimp in nets and we returned the nets with payment.  Our only problem was that we only bought one pound!  Makes my mouth water thinking about it.

We really liked Valdez.  It's in such a beautiful setting.  There's a campground right on the water and it was such fun to eat meals and watch the sea otters floating by on their backs and eating clams.  They're not only cute but clever little critters.

ArdraF

Sunday July 7, 2013 Day 40

Today is my best friend Emmy?s birthday. I hope she is having a great time back in Illinois. We?ve been friends since we were born, literally. Our moms were best friends for years. We grew up within 4 houses of each other, close to Grand Rapids, MI.

This is the first day in what seems like weeks that it hasn?t been raining HARD when we got up. (But it was raining HARD an hour earlier!) Our picnic table is almost dry, with only a few puddles on it! Yahoo!

Despite no rain right now, the clouds are hanging down very low over the mountains at either end of the park. Can?t see a thing behind the nearest row of spruce reaching tall into the sky. Lots of people have already pulled out of the RV park and headed for home at the end of the holiday weekend. The place is looking much emptier this morning.

Off we go to do things today!

Ah, it?s almost time for bed now, and we?ve had a wonderful day. The sun never popped through the heavy cloud cover, but it tried. So there was brightness at least, and little or no rain, until evening. Makes life seem good, and it was such fun to be out and about. The winds were brisk, though, and temps very cool, so it was a 3-layer day.

As we drove towards town, we saw that another big cruise ship is in the harbor. Not as big as the last one, so there won?t be quite the hordes of people as there were a few days ago. A different ship must arrive about every 36-40 hours. Despite the ship, the streets were far emptier than previous days, and parking was readily available everywhere. We stopped at Safeway and bought a few things we had run out of, such as teabags, honey, etc., along with some fresh apricots and more bananas.

The Alaska Sealife Center here in Seward is billed as Alaska?s premier aquarium. Welllllll?it was okay, mostly because it?s in Alaska. But the polar bear exhibit at Chicago?s Lincoln Park Zoo far outdoes almost anything at the Sealife Center. And Chicago?s Aquarium is vastly better than this center. But, okay, we did see a fantastic stellar seal swimming around in his tank. And the ?Life of the Salmon? exhibit is terrific?from movies about the spawning process, to a view of fertilized eggs, and tanks showing salmon at every stage of life. Loved it. Especially since I just read the section of Michener?s Alaska about Nerka the salmon and his quest for survival. Good story, good exhibit.

One thing Alaska has that no place else has, though, is puffins, which are about the cutest critters on earth. And the Sealife Center has only a couple of puffins in its tanks?.they need lots more puffins, for heaven?s sake! I heard people around me saying the same thing?where are the puffins?

Our friend Marion had told me about which of the town?s gift & souvenir shops were best, so we wandered up the street to visit a few. A local working in a shop told us the best fish place in town is Thorn?s Bar on 4th Street, so we headed there for lunch. It?s where all the locals go for fish, we were told. When was the last time we had lunch on a Sunday afternoon sitting in a dark, smoky bar watching the Chicago Cubs play the Pittsburg Pirates, if ever? Well, there we were. Don was immediately engrossed in the game, ordered a beer, and settled in. We ordered Thorn?s ?special? which is a bowl of fresh halibut ? about 12 2-inch-square sized chunks of fish ? very lightly battered and flash fried for about a minute. Served without fries or anything, just lemon and tartar sauce. Good price. Delicious. Perfect!

There are a couple of shops here that have nice quality Alaskan-made stuff, at prices that don?t seem totally outrageous. But I quickly get bored with shopping and seeing the same stuff over and over, no matter how nice it is. I actually would like to have a nicely carved totem pole about a foot tall, maybe painted, maybe not?but it?s hard to know as yet what is good quality and decent value. Some of them are priced above $100 and seem to be a rip. I?m still in the decision-making mode on that purchase. I bought a nice memento of Seward though?a 2014 calendar for $10 full of terrific Alaska wildlife photographs. The one of the moose with his head in the water is better than I could ever see in reality. Next year it?ll remind me throughout the months of this wonderful adventure.

Don stayed at Thorn?s Bar until the game ended?the Cubbies lost, again?then joined me. We topped off our Seward adventure with a dish of very excellent gelato at the ice cream store that is part of Brown & Hawkins, Seward?s general store in business since 1900.

Cruising to the Kenai Fjords National Park seemed fruitless with the sky laden so heavily with thick clouds hanging low over all the mountains. We weren?t anxious to waste a ton of money seeing nothing but clouds, especially on a day that was so windy and cold. When I go on a cruise, I like to stand at the bow railing and have the wind blowing in my hair and the water spraying on me?today was not the kind of day for that exercise! Cruises will have to wait for another day.

Don decided we should take a drive out to Powell Point for the heck of it. Our neighbor in the RV park had told him about the place and said there is another RV park out at the end of the point, along the bay. The road goes along the shore, just above the water of the bay. On the land side, a steep mountain rises straight up inches from the side of your vehicle; on the bay side are large rocks and a steep dropoff into the bay. The road, if you can call it that, is gravel and narrow and filled with potholes, some small, some quite large and deep. This was quite the adventure! In several places, vehicles have to pull over and wait for an oncoming vehicle to pass, because the road is too narrow for two vehicles to be abreast. There are two one-lane bridges along this road, as well. Several times I wondered if there would even be a wide enough place for us to turn around farther out towards the point.

If I had suggested to Don that we do this drive, and had tkane our precious Rollin Home out there, he would have gone ballistic, and never forgiven me. But since this was HIS idea, he was quite determined to see it through! There were a few times when it was impossible to weave our way through the maze of potholes with enough agility, and at several places we were really rockin and rollin! People coming towards us who were waiting for us to pass were watching us with amazed looks on their faces ? and laughing when we finally got by them.

Good grief, this was certainly as punishing as being on the Old Denali Highway! We reached Powell Point after about 5 miles of this. Can you believe, there?s an actual residential suburb (of sorts) of Seward way out there? I cannot believe in my wildest dreams that people living out there actually have to take that road twice a day (or even 4 or 6 times a day) in any season, much less in winter! The state recreational area and RV park are pretty interesting?lots of RVs and tent campers, probably because it?s very cheap! And windswept, for sure!

Upon our return to Seward, we parked the Rollin Home in the municipal day-use RV parking lot facing the shore of Resurrection Bay to watch boats going in and out, and people taking walks, and the activity of the town. Waves were lapping barely 4 feet from the front of our vehicle. The wind was high enough that they were decent sized waves too?the bay was covered in whitecaps all afternoon. The wind was whistling and buffeting our side, so we felt a bit like sailors out on the water. I saw perhaps 20-30 sailboats, large and small, out for the day. Brave souls, I must say. This is real cold-weather sailing, for stout hearts and well-bundled bodies.

As I sat looking out at the bay watching dozens of seagulls dipping and gliding in the winds, suddenly a very large bald eagle flew gracefully by our window, not even 4 feet away, down at my eye level! My first Alaska eagle, close up and personal! He landed nearby on a dock piling and sat there a while, then flew off. Made my day!

Don took a long walk while we were parked in Seward by the bayshore. I read my book and stared at the ?big water? to get my water-fix. After returning to our park for the night, we took another walk around the park and along Stoney Creek, aptly named because it certainly is stony. The creek-bed is wide and looks as it a bulldozer created it?.or maybe it was dredged for gold back in the day? We asked at the office and were told that the creek-bed is naturally that way, made so by a huge flood that swept through 3 years ago, which turned a little narrow stream into the big wide creek it is today. Apparently the creek has never been dredged for gold, but quite a few locals pan for gold regularly along this creek. No one divulged whether anyone who pans has found any gold specks or nuggets.

Tomorrow, we head for Kenai. Should be an interesting drive.

Monday July 8, 2013 Day 41

What a day! Good, yucky, then better, then ugly, then fabulous!

Sunshine makes a world of difference, to be sure. Yes, it was a bit cloudy at first, and a bit drippy, but bright enough to see that at some point the sun would actually shine. Hooray!

I got up about 7; Don had a fitful night and slept in until about 8:30. We both felt rested and eager for the day, excited to be going, finally, to the real Kenai Peninsula where fishing is a big deal. We only had about 120 miles to drive today, and though it would be on 2-lane roads most of the way to Kenai from Seward, we assumed the traffic would be fairly light on a Monday. We buttoned up the buggy, and went to the central ?dump station? at the RV park to empty our so-called black water and gray water tanks, and had a minor disaster?all my fault.

I am flexible enough that I can easily bend down and hook the sewer hose we use to empty the tanks onto the outlet. The hose has 3 little hooks that latch onto 3 little pegs sticking out of the fitting on the vehicle?s outlet pipe. Trouble is, my hands aren?t as strong as they need to be to get a good lock of the hose to the fitting. When I put it on, my hands encased in our handy-dandy nitrile gloves from Costco, of course, I always give it a tug to make sure I have it tight enough. I did that routine this morning, naturally, and it was secure. I thought. So I proceeded to pull the black handle to empty the black water tank (ie, toilet waste) and whoooooosh, the sewer hose detached from the outlet pipe and you can guess what happened. Oh ****. Literally. What a dreadful mess.

Enough said. I cleaned everything up, which took a while. Neither of us got hit with the cascade, fortunately. Finally we set off for Kenai, going north once again toward Moose Pass, beyond which we would find the turnoff for the Sterling Highway, aka Hwy 1, toward Soldotna and Homer. Along the way are supposed to be some really great walking trails and wildlife viewpoints. About a half-hour into the trip, the sun popped through and the day turned clearer. Terrific scenery. As we went west on the Sterling Highway toward Soldotna, we drove along the head of Kenai Lake, and got our first glimpses of the gorgeous, turquoise-colored Kenai River that everyone raves about. Wide, deep and fast-flowing with waves cresting in whitewater plumes as it passed over rocks, this jewel of a river looks every bit as splendid as its fishing reputation.

At one point, I spotted a golden eagle perched on a rock on a small island in the river and asked Don to slow down, and turn around, please. A pullout was just ahead; New York U-ee is easy. He kept on going. And speeded up to 60 mph from 55 mph, because he said he had a big Class A motorcoach on his tail. I said, So what? Ignore him. Turn around, please. I want to go back and see the eagles at the river. This is what we came to Alaska for. He kept on going, fast. Whizzing past trailheads, pullouts, parking spots, everything. You can guess what I was saying. Not very quietly or nicely, either.

Needless to say, I was furious. And Don knew it. He was being obstinate just to be obstinate and prove some idiotic point. Men. Such numbskulls at times.

At a bridge over the Kenai River, a big bunch of fishermen and guides were loading themselves and their gear into 4 or 5 rafts to float the river and fish along the way. Everyone was stopped to watch the goings-on. Not Don. Didn?t even slow down. Whizzed on by.

Finally at Soldotna, a good sized burg, he slowed down and turned into the lot at the big Fred Meyer store, to buy fresh bottles of water and a bag of ice that we needed. Oh, goody. I also wanted to buy a spray bottle of Clorox household cleaner with bleach, to clean off the soles of our shoes after the morning?s dump-station mishap. So we began speaking again. It?s hard for me to stay angry for very long. Thank goodness.

We also had a mission in Soldotna: Find the amazing BBQ guy that our friends Linda and Dean said makes the finest smoked ribs and pulled pork they?ve ever eaten, bar none. Black Jaxx BBQ. Located at about Mile 1 of the Kenai Spur Road, so it?s right on our way! We found it all right, but had to turn into a lot just past the place and retrace our route a bit to get back to this little joint. Well worth the effort!

I know we?re really here for the fish, but Black Jaxx has been smokin? his meats up here every summer for 20-odd years, and man, is this stuff great! This Texas guy knows his stuff about doing Southern-smoked meats and very-southern baked beans full of chunky meat and bacon. Juicy pulled pork. Fall-off-the-bone ribs. And, of all things, smoked pure-beef BOLOGNA! Just had to try that?I have always adored bologna?especially fried bologna sandwiches as a kid in Michigan. And the baked beans?yum!  Bought some ribs for our lunch. Some pulled pork and a container of beans for dinner. And a bit of smoked bologna for me, for tomorrow sometime.

Beluga Lookout RV Park in Kenai sits on a bluff overlooking the beach and the mouth of the Kenai River, looing out to sea over the Cook Inlet. In the far distance are the huge volcanoes that herald the start of the Aleutian Islands chain?The Ring of Fire, as they?re known. This is a wonderful RV park?vehicles close together, but a great location. I was glad I had made my reservation ages ago and had assured us of a front-row seat. We face the water on the edge of the high bluff, wind blowing at us quite briskly and rocking the vehicle a bit. Somewhat like being on our sailboat back in the day. I like it! I?ll sleep well tonight.

We walked through the old town of Kenai, which is within a couple blocks of our location and is only a few blocks in size, but has some interesting historic buildings. The old Russian Orthodox church, a frame building with two onion-dome-shaped steeples in sky blue, is from the late 1800s. I?m planning to go back tomorrow to see the inside. Several historic houses are built in a style with squared logs and hand-hewn dovetail joints at the corners?quite the task back in the 1800s, I?m sure. But they lock together extremely well and are very solid structures that have stood the test of time admirably.

As we turned toward the RV park, we spotted the cliff path down to the beach. Of course we had to take it. The tide is rolling in fast and it was just so tempting to stroll the beach for a while toward the mouth of the river, maybe find a good stone and a nice piece of driftwood as mementoes. We met and talked with a nice couple from the Seattle area whose 10 year old son was digging a giant hole in the sand, took their family picture and they took one of us, then headed back up the hill. Great path over 2 nice humped bridges, and very good exercise.

Okay, gotta clean up the Rollin Home and disinfect the floors after our morning mishap. Roll up the dirty rugs, put em into big garbage bags to be washed later. Sweep the RH floor thoroughly, then wash the floors 3 times, with bleach and disinfectant. Don thinks we should just throw the rugs away and buy replacements at WalMart tomorrow. I?d go for that.  Then I sprayed and disinfected the soles of our hiking boots with Clorox cleaner & bleach. I should have remembered that bleach does awful things to my hands?when will I ever learn to wear gloves when I do bleach jobs? I now have a bunch of sore cracks on my palms that will need lots of lotion and maybe Neosporin repairs.

After all that housecleaning activity, I was hot and sweaty and headed to the showers to bathe. Wonderful clean showers here. Lovely. Oh it feels great to be squeaky clean!

Throughout the remainder of the evening, and through dinner, we sat in the driver & passenger seats of Rollin Home and looked out at the sea, watching literally hundreds of small and medium-sized commercial fishing boats coming in from their day at sea?hundreds of them kept appearing from out of the mist, endless strings of them!!! At first we thought maybe these were charter boats that took paying passengers out to fish for halibut and flounder, but we could see through the binoculars that there were no passengers on these boats, just captains and crew?only 2-3 people on each. A few boats had tall rigging for hauling in large nets?they must be shrimpers. Most others just had heavy-duty winches in their sterns with big cables?they must be halibut and flounder fishermen that haul fish up from the bottom in hundreds of feet of water. They kept coming, and coming, and coming. A never-ending stream of boats. Sometimes I could count 35 or 40 at a time.

As the tide flowed rapidly in and met the river?s outflow, some steep waves built at the channel entering the river, and the boats plunged their bows deeply into the troughs of waves, never slowing. Later in the evening as the tides receded once more, the waves lessened and the entrance was much calmer. My gosh, it?s now 11 pm and the sun is very low in the sky and fishing boats are still coming in, final stragglers in singles instead of big groups.

This is the most action we?ve had on the whole trip. Such fun to watch. The clouds in the far distance to the southwest periodically lift and we can see the huge volcanoes poke their heads out, pale yellow and pinkish in the evening light. The biggest of them, some 11,300 feet, is completely snow-covered.

We absolutely LOVE it here! I so wish I hadn?t decided to shorten our stay in Kenai to only 1 night, on the advice of a friend who said there?s very little to see or do in Kenai. That?s probably true?the town itself might not be much, but I adore all this harbor activity. I could stay here a week or more and love every minute! I?d walk that cliff path 2 or 3 times a day, and stroll the beach endlessly. Don too!

Oh my gosh it?s a few minutes after 11 now and a big golden eagle just flew gracefully and quite slowly past our windshield, with a bunch of screeching gulls hot on his tail. The eagle must have just caught a fish and the gulls want it! We continued watching attentively, and a couple of minutes later 2 golden eagles flew past, wing-tip to wing-tip. As they got just beyond us, they turned and headed south over the mouth of the river, so we could watch them for quite a while. Is this great or what?

It?s turning a bit darker now, 11:30 at night, and 4 more fishing boats are straggling in. The tide has swept out again, and a very large oval-shaped area below us has turned into a big mud flat. Hundreds of gulls are gliding in big circles up here at our eye level. We can see that a similar big mud flat to the south of us is covered with thousands of wading gulls milling around.

In 2 days, on July 10, the dip-net fishing for salmon starts as the 2nd salmon run of the year gets underway. Some eager-beaver dip-netters started staking out their beach spots below us tonight, one of them even pitching his tent near the dune on the beach, trying to ?reserve? his spot. But some officials who look and act like cops come along and tell these folks they are breaking the rules, whatever the rules are, and people then leave. Not sure these officials are really cops?maybe BLM rangers. They even took the tent down and hauled it away. On Wednesday, we understand, the beach below us at the mouth of the river will be lined solid with hundreds of fishermen wielding giant dip-nets with long handles catching hundreds of salmon before they head up the Kenai River to spawn.

Alaskan Natives have dip-netted for salmon for thousands of years here at the mouth of the Kenai when the salmon run starts. They need hundreds of fish to dry and eat during the cold winter months. We?re not sure whether only Natives are allowed to dip-net for fish, or anybody can do it if they?re willing to purchase a license. Our RV park has a whole stack of huge dip-nets available for sale or for rent. I wish we were staying to watch this.

To bed now. Want to get up early and see if the fishing boats go out early in the morning. Will there be more eagles? Will I be able to see the volcanoes in the distance?

SaltyAdventurer said:
Monday July 8, 2013 Day 41
Oh ****. Literally. What a dreadful mess.

Needless to say, I was furious. And Don knew it. He was being obstinate just to be obstinate and prove some idiotic point. Men. Such numbskulls at times.

I know we?re really here for the fish, but Black Jaxx has been smokin? his meats up here every summer for 20-odd years, and man, is this stuff great!

Susan, don't feel too bad about your "dump" mistake.  Anyone who's been RVing for a while has probably had a similar story.  For us, it was when Dean had two hoses together and the joint failed.  You've now had your baptism by ____.

You're right on about men being numbskulls.  And, of course, they think we are, too!  That's part of RVing, too.  You get to love the things you love about your spouse even more--like Dean's tenacity in getting our satellite up.  Of course, a few minutes before he achieved success I was thinking, "How many hours are you going to continue to invest in this thing??? Your time has value, and I'm tired of hearing that grrrrrr sound going off over my head.  IT DOESN'T WORK! "  Until it did...

We came into Black Jaxx just a couple of hours after you.  We missed each other because you got to the Kenai turnoff before we did. They told us you'd been in and sampled their wares.  I've never had fried bologna, but it sounds sinful.  I didn't try their bologna, but if I'm back up here again, I will.  Dean and I reminisced about how we ground bologna with sweet pickles for his lunch when we were first married, but it's been at least 30 years since we ate any bologna. When we were growing up, our parents made two kinds of sandwiches--PB&J and bologna, and rarely tuna salad or egg salad.  Now, when we make sandwiches, it's  usually turkey because it's healthier.  It's interesting how we change without even realizing it.

While in Kenai, check out the Burger Bus (Dean loved it!) and if the Art Fair is going on at the Chamber of Commerce, I'd pay the money go to see it again.  They had some of the finest art we've seen in Alaska.  Also, when we were in Kenai, we were told not to photograph the Russian church, that the members found that offensive.  Visiting is fine, except during services, but pictures not so fine--in fact, there was a sign by the parking area. 

Happy trails and "eagling"!

These logs are so fun to read!!!

Linda, I grew up on fried bologna (baloney) sandwiches and to this day it still makes my mouth water to think about them.  I loved them.  Did you know you are supposed to cut little slices around the ousides of the bologna so that it lays flat when you fry it and doesn't curl up.  Little trivia info for ya. 

SaltyAdventure, Ahhh, a "slapping my forehead" dumb move re the dump station event.  Welcome to RVing. 

We loved the Kenai Penisula. And tell Don he is lucky he's not married to me, he would not have gotten off so easy for not turning around so we could see the golden eagles.... :p  When we were in the Kenai last year, we hired a fishing guide, fly fished the Kenai River and saw a young grizzly eating salmon on the banks.  That is such a beautiful river.  BTW, eagles are very lazy, they steal the fish and anything eatable that every other bird catches.  When we were camped in Seward along the bay, some sea gulls had retrieved the insides of a fish that a fisherman had discarded.  Smart eagles just flew in...swiped the goodies and flew away.  Poor Sea Gulls.

Also, just for the record, Puffins are also in Newfoundland, not just Alaska.  When we saw them in NFL, it was on a very high bluff.  They would dive a 100 feet into the waters below, be under water for several seconds then pop up like "bobbers" on a fishing line.  Cute! 

Enjoy the rain....it rained almost continually the 2 months we were there.  We did everything in the rain.

Marsha~

SaltyAdventurer said:
And Don knew it. He was being obstinate just to be obstinate and prove some idiotic point. Men. Such numbskulls at times.
Go Don Go?.lol
My dad has made some long travels with me to and from AK and always wanted to stop.  I was driving and had a schedule?

SaltyAdventurer said:
At a bridge over the Kenai River, a big bunch of fishermen and guides were loading themselves and their gear into 4 or 5 rafts to float the river and fish along the way. Everyone was stopped to watch the goings-on. Not Don. Didn?t even slow down. Whizzed on by.
As you crossed that bridge you were at the mouth of the Kenai river.  On your left was Kenai Lake and on your right was Kenai River. Check it out on your return trip.  Where your camped now is the other mouth!
If Don is a Big game guy you can get him to stop there on the return. ;)  In the parking lot where you saw them launching boats there is a board walk with tele-scopes that you can use to see the sheep up in the mountain across the river! 

SaltyAdventurer said:
Alaskan Natives have dip-netted for salmon for thousands of years here at the mouth of the Kenai when the salmon run starts. They need hundreds of fish to dry and eat during the cold winter months. We?re not sure whether only Natives are allowed to dip-net for fish, or anybody can do it if they?re willing to purchase a license. Our RV park has a whole stack of huge dip-nets available for sale or for rent. I wish we were staying to watch this.
Only Alaska Residents can Dipnet.  Permits are free, but you must record/report what you catch.  Limits vary depending on the fishery, but that one in particular is 25 fish for the head of household and 10 more fish for each additional person/dependant. (Family of 3 limit is 45; Family of 4 limit is 55; etc..)
Limits are much different and higher for Natives in remote areas that truly use the fish to survive.  They even use ?fish wheels?, which is a pretty neat process.  Come to think of it I believe some residents place fish wheels on the Chitna river; not just ?Natives?.

Tuesday July 9, 2013 Day 42

A gorgeous, perfect, sunny day in Alaska. They do happen. Rarely, maybe. I can?t say. But it sure does perk me up and make me want to be outdoors all day!

I took my trusty little coupon for a 15% discount of all purchases from the Beluga Lookout gift shop and went shopping early today?I wanted a couple of gifts for very special people, and I had discovered yesterday that the Native Alaskan carved figures of whale bone, whale baleen, jade, caribou antlers, walrus tusks, etc. were far less expensive here than at the souvenir places along the streets of little Alaskan towns. And they?re nicer quality, too. Aha!

I found the absolute cutest little Inupiak tribe (Eskimo) ?Billikin? carvings for these two people?little cherubic figures with round cheeks and round little bellies that are fetishes to bring good luck, especially when the holder rubs the little round belly of this billikin thing. It?s carved out of walrus tusk, and is only about 3 inches tall. Quite charming. And there?s a neat little poem?more like a jingle, really? that goes with it: ?As a blues chaser, I?m a honey ? To bring good luck just rub my tummy.?

Naturally I couldn?t resist buying a great little carving for myself, too. Kind of like Christmas shopping ? One for you, one for me! The carving I bought is of whale bone, whale baleen and walrus tusk, depisting an Inupiak seal hunter of the far north in a kayak holding a harpoon above his head, with a ring of sealskin fur around his face and the ?rope? attached to the harpoon made of whale sinew. This whole scene is perched on a big green soapstone rock base, at an angle that makes it look as if the seal hunter is riding a big wave. The kayak is about 10 inches long. It?s very artistic and nicely done. About a third of the price I saw for similar carvings in Anchorage, Seward and other places.

We walked down the cliff path to the beach again. We walked down the path with a local guy who was going fishing. He pointed out a number of interesting birds to me while we walked?a cute little yellow bellied ?wobbler? as he called it. Warbler, maybe? Across the marsh he spotted a herrier (member of the falcon and eagle family) going after small critters. Don spotted the same bird later as we walked back up the path to the top of the bluff.

The tide was out, allowing me to walk far out on the flats looking closely for interesting rocks, pieces of driftwood, feathers, maybe even some sea glass. Oh how I love to do the beachcombing thing! I didn?t find any sea glass (darn it!) but I soon had a good pocketful of polished egg-shaped agates, a nice chunk of lava, some marble-sized stones full of copper in a burnished turquoise color. And an eagle feather!

Fine of the late stragglers among the commercial fishing vessels entering the harbor after a long day in Cook Inlet had become grounded in the channel at low tide late last night. They were running their engines, probably to keep the fish refrigerated in their holds. But it looked as if they would be sitting there til at least 2 in the afternoon today. Seems like a costly mistake because of extra fuel consumption.

We walked a couple of blocks to visit the old Russian Orthodox church. I wanted to see the original icons inside the church, which was built in 1840. Along the way, we happened upon Veronica?s Coffee Shop & Caf?, in a very old frame building of logs with dove-tailed joints, surrounded by absolutely gorgeous gardens. The globes of purple flowers topping the bunches of chives were huge; the brightly flowered stems of pink and yellow snapdragons planted in old barrels were about 16 inches tall! Soebody here really knows gardening! We ordered coffee and a goodie, and went to sit outdoors at a picnic table for our little snack.

Don?s 3-berry cobbler, freshly made this morning, was outstanding. I ordered something that looked somewhat croissant-like that turned out to be fluffy and incredible croissant bread pudding with dried cranberries in it that had puffed up like giant raisins?toped with drizzles of their homemade caramel sauce. OMG! Was this delicious or what? The place does quite a big lunch business, we could see.

Blessed Virgin Mary of the Assumption church proved to be quite fascinating, for me at least. Don could have cared less. It has been beautifully restored; the large icons (painted images) of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John are lovely paintings that have been cleaned and restored as well. There are at least a half-dozen other smaller icons of the Virgin Mary and events from the New testament. Father Thomas, the pastor, was there to tell visitors about his church. He is an extremely handsome man of 55, grey at the temples, who looks very Japanese. He is  Native Alaskan, of the Yu?pik tribe from the western part of Alaska, who attended Russian Orthodox seminary in Kodiak, Alaska. He is married and has 4 grown children, all of whom still live near Kenai and of whom he is very proud.

Father Thomas?s parish consists of only 12 people now, all of whom are older folks. The diocese he?s in has 99 parish churches in Alaska and northern Canada. Father Thomas has a wonderful, exuberant sense of humor and is so patient with all of us from The Lower 48, most of whom know absolutely nothing about the Russian Orthodox church or its role in the settling of Alaska, its doctrines, its priests or its traditions.

I know a lot about the Russian Church from my past reading and studies, its similarities and contrasts to the Roman Catholic Church, and having just read the excellent section of Michener?s Alaska about the Russian Orthodox Church in this vast country, I felt I could ask semi-intelligent questions at least. It was also fun reading some of the ornate Russian Syrillic documents in the church, several of which were protected in enclosed cases because they are hundreds of years old?Bible excerpts beautifully designed and painted by hand, probably by monks or priests, and done in hand-lettered script with old quill pens. Lots of red ink and gold leaf. Hanging above and in front of nearly all the icons in the church are highly ornamented gold censors used with lighted incense inside when in procession while blessing the church, the people, and during the Mass. Before leaving, I tossed $20 into the pot for the upkeep of the parish.

As we walked around the corner to go back to the Rollin Home, we met Father Michael Orlikovsky (very Russian, yes?!) being pushed by his young companion in a wheelchair. Father Michael, slim and ancient with white hair and a neatly trimmed white pointy beard, must be in his late 90s, has had strokes and can?t speak much. But his eyes twinkled when we greeted him warmly and remarked what a gorgeous day it is, prompting his companion to introduce him to us and tell us he was pastor of this church for many, many years. We thanked him for keeping the church up so beautifully, and restoring all the artwork. He shook his head as if to say, ?It was my pleasure!? and we walked on.

The western coastal shoreline of the Kenai Peninsula has many towns with Russian names and picturesque Russian Orthodox churches perched high on hills overlooking Cook Inlet. One such town is Nikiski?we took the ?less traveled path? along the river to ?Old Nikiski?, down close to the shore. A few newer houses are visible, but the Old Nikiski is a picture-perfect jumble of flowing river, tall weeds, wildflowers, fallen-down buildings in weathered grays, junked rotted old fishing boats with blue and red paint peeling off, rusted old fishing gear along the road. And, amazingly, a parking lot with an RV park right down next to Cook Inlet at the end of the road that runs through Old Nikiski.

The highway runs very close to the Inlet most of the way south. There?s scattered population all the way down to Homer, nearly every residence with a travel trailer, rv or 5th wheel for camping parked in the yard. And almost every house has a boat parked in the yard, too?sometimes large, sometimes small, but always a boat for Inlet fishing.

Oddly, the quality of houses varies considerably. One house will be a small frame place about 30 years old with junk scattered around the yard and driveway. Next one will be a recently-sold parcel with a larger, fancier house on it?clearly the ?new rich? of Alaska who stepped themselves up or who recently built a vacation home as a second home and who fly in for long holidays (my suspicion). Small space of treed area, then a double-wide mobile home that is poorly maintained, has probably been there 20 years or more, and maybe belongs to a subsistence hunter or fisherman or someone who moved to Alaska many years ago to get away from civilization. And now civilization is once more encroaching, isn?t it?

As we continued down the Sterling Highway towards Homer, I wanted to stop as a place called Timberline Creations that is written up in The Milepost. Michael Lettis and his wife make jewelry, carve antlers and tusks, and sell a zillion different kinds of artifacts out of a cute log cabin. They used to be located in Soldotna, but when the highway was widened it went right through the middle of their store, so they moved farther down the peninsula and have been there for 10 years now. Michael is a really great fella, grew up in Anchorage and has been in Alaska most of his life. Not a native, but close. Definitely a country guy ? hunter, fisherman, boater.

Michael does his ?harvesting? of caribou and moose antlers to carve every year when he goes hunting in the fall & winter, gathering up the racks that have been shed in the late fall by the animals as part of their seasonal renewal. He has stacks of huge antlers in the far corners of his store waiting to be cut and carved, or made into something.

I bought some pieces of woolly mammoth foot bones he had in a basket, that are between 12,000 and 40,000 years old ($20 each or 3 for $50). The Natives up here find them when ridges near rivers erode following winter thaws or rainstorms, causing the old preserved bones to fall out of the bluffs into the rivers and creeks; the Native Yup?iks and Dena?ina people who live here on the Kenai supply Michael with these things. (It?s all legal, by the way?I wouldn?t buy anything that?s illegal or that endangers any archeology or paleontology.)

I also found a fascinating big bone from an ancient steppe bison, an enormous beast about double or triple the size of today?s bison. Steppe bison are also a log-extinct species, and Michael think the bone is probably about 30,000 years old. Don?t know what I?ll do with these, but I like having them?like the jewelry I bought a while back that contains ancient walrus tusk pieces, it feels as if it ties me to our ancient past. Somehow a good reminder of where we came from, in case urbanization ever threatens to transform us into weak, shadowy images of what we once were, hearty souls who could survive in even the cruelest environments. Do you think we?ll ever need those skills again some day?

We passed the turnoff to The Russian Village of Nikolaevsk, which I want to visit, but I think we?ll go in there on our way back up the peninsula as we return north and head for Whittier on the 14th of July.

Michael carves a spectacular little caribou scene using teeny-tiny drills and knives into a slice of caribou antler that is 2-3 inches in diameter. The only ones he had in the case were marked NFS, though, and he said he is planning to do several more in the next few days if I would care to come back. His pendants typically are used as jewelry, but I can picture this lovely piece hanging in my kitchen window over the sink on a tiny chain or some copper wire, either in Silverthorne or in Greenwood Village?with sunshine coming through it. Each day it would remind me of this fabulous trip and the places we have loved? This is quite close to Homer, so I said I would most certainly be back! For $40, this is a great memento, and a wonderful piece of art.

In the course of our long conversation, I had mentioned to Michael that I was a watercolor artist and he told me of a very special place that I should definitely stop to see on our way south to Homer. A well-known Alaska artist named Norman Lowell homesteaded here in Alaska many, many years ago. He is now in his 80s and does beautiful paintings, Michael told us?the gallery is stupendous! Be sure to stop there! So we proceeded down the road, pulled in at Norman Lowell Road and met white-haired Mr. Lowell watering his spectacular gardens at 5:30 pm. The gallery and shop had just closed, but he was so gracious and said his staff had just left minutes ago. I said we?d come back the next day. Mr. Lowell started as a watercolor artist many years ago, and works in all mediums at different times. He said he ?returned? to watercolors about 8 years ago for a period of time; he does mostly oils these days. I just can?t wait to see his work!

The drive into Homer is gorgeous, coming in on the high bluff. The first view of Homer down below on the shores of the Inlet and Kachemak Bay is breathtaking. Sterling Highway into town has turned into a bit of a ?strip? however, loaded with inns, motels, souvenir shops and burger franchises. It?s discouraging that every town in America, whether up here or in The Lower 48, fails to retain its unique look ? its character -- any more as burger franchises move in. I?m certainly NOT against commerce in all its forms, and I can understand every fast food place, bank and gas station wanting to be on ?the strip? entering town, BUT?.is there possibly a way to do the zoning and/or land-use regulations that would avoid the homogeneity that is so depressing? I guess not, really.

Nonetheless, as we drove out onto Homer Spit to our RV park, bordered on the southwest by Cook Inlet and on the northwest by Kachemak Bay, we could see that this is indeed unique! Lots of wind, quite cool and brisk as stiff breezes come off Cook Inlet, which is covered in whitecaps. The waves are probably 2-3 feet. We registered at Heritage RV Park about 1/3 of the way out the spit, positioned alongside to the north of what is famously known as ?the fishing hole?, a little lake that forms every day at high tides and gets full of wonderful fish, then becomes landlocked as the tides recede and the fish can?t escape. We want to walk tomorrow to the hole and around it to inspect the fishing scene there.

Our spot #83 in the park, a pull-in on the shorefront, faces north towards Kachemak Bay and an enormous glacier?I think we?re looking at Grewingk Glacier straight ahead of us across Kachemak Bay. I can vaguely discern Glacier Spit down low to the water across the bay too. We can see two other big glaciers to the right of us across the bay ? the Wosnesenski Glacier and the Doroshin Glacier. I think I can see Ismailof Island and the headland of Peterson Bay, which are the points of land behind which is well-known Halibut Cove. This RV park is worth every single penny of the high cost, $73 a night. We?re here for 5 nights. I?m in heaven!!

We drove toward the end of the Spit and parked easily in a free lot to walk around, find some halibut for dinner and finish the day off with a beer & wine at the Salty Dawg Saloon! Not very crowded right now, thank goodness. The tide is in, a few people are wandering around. Our park is only about 2/3 full. This is such a delight! Smells like ocean, feels like ocean air, looks like big water. Perfecto!

We had the famous cod fish & chips and halibut fish & chips at The Boardwalk caf?. Don?s cod fish & chips were substantially less expensive than my halibut. Both were good, but I have to say I?ve had better halibut! This was okay, very fresh, but battered a bit more than I prefer and a little bit dryer than I like?could have been more succulent and juicy considering the high price. Not worth the $18.95 they charge out here.

We spent dinner hour at an indoor table at The Boardwalk talking with a wonderful young man originally from Colorado who owns a private hunting & fishing lodge far north of here, west across the Cook Inlet and inland a ways north located at Lake Clark, adjacent to Lake Clark National Park and Preserve. Preston and his wife Stacie have been out here in Alaska for 13 years, and they?ve owned the lodge 10 years. They can handle up to 12 hunting and/or fishing guests who fly in and land on Lake Clark. Most of his guests stay for 2 weeks. Each year, Preston gets some of the very limited number of brown bear (grizzly) hunting permits that are granted in his area of Alaska. Preston flew down here from his lodge to pick up a newly-purchased 18-foot jetboat (shallow draft, no prop, fast) that was just trailered to Homer from Anchorage. He would cross the water with it to get it ?home? to Lake Clark taking quite a complicated route, taking several days to get there, hoping the weather would remain clear and stable for his run. He was eating dinner, sitting with a sailor?s charting compass and an atlas, figuring out his course while waiting for the day?s winds straight out of the north to die down, followed by the settling down of the waves so he could start out for the north. We asked if we could join him at his table and he graciously said we could.

I forget how many miles Preston said his trip would be. In good weather and light winds (with correspondingly few waves) he could make the trip across Cook Inlet in about 3+ hours; if winds picked up unexpectedly and waves rose, the trip could take as long as 8 brutal hours. His trip would require heading straight west across Cook Inlet past Augustine Island to land at the foot of a bay where there?s a short stretch of road leading to Illiamna Lake, a large freshwater lake located between the Aleutian Range and the Taylor Mountains. The boat will require trailoring once again overland between Cook Inlet and Illiamna Lake, on the short stretch of road that the map shows is available there. Then Preston would take his new boat on water again across Illiamna and to the north again (on a map it looks like this might be another 20 miles or so), where there?s a long river he can take (maybe 10 miles?) that gets him up to Lake Clark. Lake Clark is a very long, narrow lake that looks to be more than 75 miles long, maybe 5 to 10 miles wide. His lodge is at the northwest end of Lake Clark, so his journey is far from finished once he reaches Lake Clark.

I can?t wait to tell my old friend Dave about Preston?s place?I know Dave would just love going there to hunt bears and caribou.

Following dinner we strolled toward the small boat harbor and watched people, fishing boats unloading their day?s catch, and the general activities of the Homer Spit. We went into the famous, grungy old Salty Dawg Saloon to have our beer & wine for the day?s finale. It?s a rough log cabin, grey with age and sea mist, with very low-slung doorways where guys bang their heads about every 5 minutes. Inside there are long heavy wooden tables carved with about 55 years? worth of names and places, long log benches on either side for family-style groups. A big bar with old stools. And dollar bills pinned, mailed, and tacked to every rafter, stud and wall, some very old and yellowed, all with markered messages and names on them. Must be at least 5,000 bills papering every inch of the place.

Good people-watching in there too. It?s a hangout for locals?a bunch of 5 fishermen laughing up a storm with at least 25 empty beer bottles crowding their table. More locals wandering in as the evening progressed.

Happy and mellow, we headed for home. Next door, I was happy to see, is the Salty Girls gift shop, bookstore, etc. That?s me Salty Susie! Home and to bed we go. Nice day! Lots of walking and activity! We?re exhausted.

Wednesday July 10, 2013 Day 43

Very late to rise today. Went back to bed for several hours after getting up to pee. It?s just one of those days (nights?!) that I need a ton of catch-up sleep. As I get older, I need one of these 10-hour jobs about every 2 weeks, it seems. I feel so rested, not groggy at all. Ready to tackle the world! Another beautiful day here, sunny but with cloud cover that makes the air feel silvery and sparkly rather than clear and bright.

When I opened the door I thought it would be warm. Oh no! Quite cold, though little wind. Fixed oatmeal, made our tea, cut some fresh apricots. And set to work finishing my daily diary from yesterday. Each time I thought I was nearing the end, I thought of one more thing, or more details to add to earlier anecdotes. In the meantime, Don was out walking and talking with all the neighbors, getting all the dope about where they?re from, how long they?re staying here, where all they?ve been in Alaska. I have all the doors and windows open, but the wind it making it pretty chilly in here. I think I?ll start closing up a bit.

Kept writing. This is surely going to be 10,000 words by the time I?m done. I?ll bore everybody to death. Oh well, I?m writing it because I love doing it?it?s for myself, I guess. I probably won?t bore myself to death.

My seat was turned toward the Kachemak Bay beach while I was writing. The tide was out so the beach extended far in front of me as mud flats. Gulls were everywhere, swooping and swerving in the sky. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a larger darker bird settle onto the beach directly in front of me at water?s edge. Grabbing the binoculars, I checked it out?yes! A golden eagle! Caught a fish and was pulling it to pieces. The gulls started getting aggressive?jockeying for position if/when the eagle took off and left the carcass for someone else to pick clean. We?ve read that eagles are lazy and quite often eat only the head of a fish and a few other fatty parts, leaving the fish almost whole for other birds to come in a finish off. This eagle stayed about 5 minutes and then took off?I got pictures of the feasting eagle and the flying eagle. Fun. Nature at its best.

Don came back at 3 pm. I heated up 4 of those gorgeous smoked ribs we got from Black Jaxx for lunch, put heated BBQ sauce on them, made some good slaw using the last of my shredded cabbage, put out the carton of cottage cheese to finish off. What a delicious feast. Each rib is full of meat. Tender and so juicy. As good as salmon or halibut any day! Might have to stop at Black Jaxx and get more of those as we go back through Soldotna next Sunday or Monday. But I have to remember not to have anything left in the freezer or refrigerator, because the Rollin Home will be without power for more than 24 hours on the ferry out of Whittier, and I want to be able turn the frig off and defrost the freezer while we are on the water.

Now we are both on our computers. At 4:30 we decided to bundle up and go out walking, north along the beach to the end of the RV park, then back this way and to the Fishing Hole to see if anyone?s catching fish today while the tide is in. Then to the small boat harbor to watch the fishing boats come in and talk to the fishermen while they clean their catch.

The tide lines along the beachfront are loaded with stones. Some kelp and seaweed but not much. I would think there would be interesting ?stuff? to gather, but not so. Just a LOT of round black rocks. Can?t find any sea glass pieces at all. Lots of open and broken mussel shells today. Some bigger clam shells too. A few crabs, shells picked clean by gulls. And rarely, a perfect small 50-cent-sized cockle shell?I found 8 of them. And saved them, naturally.

Don, of course, thinks I?m totally crazy for even picking up anything from the ?dirty? beach, much less shells of any kind since I?m allergic as heck to shellfish. He refused to be convinced by my arguments that these shells have been open and dead for a long long time, and have been washed by ocean water for weeks or months or even years before coming to rest on this beach. I?m sure they won?t trigger any allergic reaction, but he?s fearful to say the least. ?My gosh, Don, I?m not going to put the thing in my mouth and suck on it, for heaven?s sake!? I declare. ?I just don?t want to have to spend a whole night in a hospital with you again when you have an anaphylactic reaction,? he hollers.

At the Fishing Hole a bit farther south on the Spit, we spot 2 small harbor seals swimming happily around and ?raiding? the fish, as an old-timer tells us. Those seals are having a feast! Naturally, the fishermen aren?t catching anything.

We walked past the Pier One Theater on our way to the small boat harbor. There?s a performance tonight, but it?s a musical performer, Johnny B on the piano, doing songs and stories and music in a revue called Rhythm of the North. Sounds pretty interesting. We met the founder and artistic director of the theater who started this up 41 years ago, Lance Peterson. He?s a former humanities professor at the Univ. of Alaska at Fairbanks. His performance venue has had a lasting impact on the life of Homer Spit. We decided right away to come back and buy tickets for the 7:30 show.

A few fishermen are hauling their fishing boats out of the water onto trailers after a day on the Inlet halibut fishing. A couple of the guys tell us the fishing today was pretty poor. They are both professional fishing guides, out fishing on their day off. They caught only 3 small halibut, and kept the largest of those, only about 15 lbs in size, letting the other 2 go. It got quite rough with both rollers and chop on the Inlet about 15 miles out where they were fishing, they said.

The municipal RV park (very cheap, no water or electric, just dry-camping) was on our way to the theater, and we shared comments with the folks staying in a travel trailer along the road we were strolling. Somehow I happened to mention Michigan in one of my smart-ass remarks as we threw one-liners back and forth?and the young woman says ?Michigan? Are you from Michigan?? I say, Yeah I grew up there. She asks, Where? I say, in the country outside Grand Rapids. She says, Oh my gosh that?s where my Mom is from, and calls inside the trailer for her Mom to come out right away. Where in Grand Rapids exactly did you live? She asks. On the West side, in what was then Walker Township, I answer. Her Mom comes out and tells me that?s exactly where she is from?West side of GR, lived over close to Leonard Street, part of the big Polish Catholic population in GR, member of St. Adalbert?s parish where she attended elementary school, graduated from West Catholic high school. She?s quite a lot younger than I am, but I would put $50 on the fact that if we talked 10 minutes longer, we?d figure out that we know a bunch of the same people or are related somehow.

Another of these incredible small-world experiences! I love it when this happens! Norma?s daughter and son-in-law are both in the Army and are stationed in Alaska, which is how they happen to be here right now. As we left them to attend the show, she and I gave each other a big hug, as if we?d been friends forever.

Johnny B?s musical show was very fun?funny, clever, nicely put together and entertaining. He may not be the world?s finest musical composer but he?s a damn fine performer and can really play the piano! Johnny B, 60, has played the piano since he was a kid, and was a street performer in The Lower 48 for many years (darn hard way to make a living?he?s an ex-Hippie type, for sure). A native California, he?s been up here in ?the country? since 1981. He has a grown son and some darling grandkids, who we saw in pictures he showed us s part of his computerized slide shows. Johnny B reminded me of John Denver, a kid in adult clothing and with some gray hair who never really grew up.

At 9:30 when we left the theater, the sun was still shining brightly. The sky was the clearest it had been all day. We stopped at the fish-cleaning table by the small boat harbor to watch 3 guys filleting their halibut catches. Turns out 2 of the guys are here from the Madison, Wisconsin area to go fishing this week; 3rd guy is a relative who lives in Anchorage, who was their ?guide? and took them out in his boat for the day. They caught 6 small but nice halibut (15-30 lbs each), and about a dozen decent-sized ?reds? (salmon). Only 1 of the halibut was even large enough to have ?cheeks? worth cutting out. I was interested to see what halibut chees looked like. They ended up with large bags containing probably 15-20 lbs of really nice halibut fillets. Nice day?s work.

Susan, if you are in Homer on Saturday, go to the Farmers Market.  They sell the halibut cheeks for $15/pound, and I bet there in Homer if you go to Coal Point Fish Market, across the street from Captain Patties Restaurant, you could see them there in his fish case.

I'm glad you're enjoying Homer and Black Jaxx ribs.

Happy trails!

Thursday July 11, 2013 Day 44

Rose early today, well rested and bushy-tailed. Good day to do the laundry?they have really great washers and dryers here, and don?t charge a fortune for them! The laundry room will be empty this morning. Then we?ll have clean sheets, clean clothes and clean us for coming days and weeks.

Beautiful day, the clearest yet of any we?ve been on this trip. No wind at all. People are down wandering the beach looking for heaven?s knows what, same as I do, walking with their heads down, picking up a stone or a seaweed scrap or a precious shell of some kind every now and then. Usually tossing it back on the ground and moving on. Sometimes bagging it or putting it in the ?precious stuff? pocket of a jacket.

I head for the showers, taking the laundry soap along. Don will bring the sheets from the bed and the big heavy bag of laundry. One reason this RV park is so nice?and costs a pretty penny?is they have an attendant at the door of the laundry room and showers/bathrooms who makes sure outsiders don?t use their facilities, and who goes in every shower room and mops up the floor and cleans the shower stall after each person finishes. Such a nice service!

In so many RV parks, even the ones with clean, nice bathrooms and showers, you go into a shower room and get your clothes sopping wet getting undressed when the floor is full of water from the shower?s previous user, because the curtain wasn?t pulled all the way across or because they stepped out of the shower and dripped all over, then didn?t wipe up. Yuck! Very few people ever wipe up after themselves when they?re done with the shower. I actually carry a spare microfiber towel with me to put on the floor of the shower room?to keep my clothes dry and to step out onto when I?ve taken my shower.

Don and I learned early on in our RVing lives that we don?t like using the microfiber towels one bit for drying our bodies after we?ve showered?they seem to just move the water around rather than drying anything. So we carry regular terry bath sheets to use for ourselves. But I take all the microfiber towels along for other uses?floor mats, dishtowels, etc. They?re so lightweight, dry quickly, and take up very little space in the Rollin Home, or in the washer for that matter. Good for almost anything other than bathing.

This is a great day to sit outdoors in the sun and look at gorgeous glaciers in the distance, reading issues of Alaska magazine, while waiting for the washer to finish and the dryer to be done. I?m getting quite tan. Crows are cawing, gulls are squawking, it?s a perfectly splendid day.

The laundry/bathroom attendant, I found out, is teaching herself to draw and paint. We discussed art and watercolor painting and learning to draw for a quite a while, showing each other our paintings on Facebook. Frankie, blond and emergetic, was born and raised here in Homer, the granddaughter of a couple who emigrated from Switzerland to Homer in 1950. She looks very young, but has grown children who are married, and she gleefully shows me pictures of her adorable toe-headed grandchildren who have huge blue eyes. ?Well, I started young,? she tells me.

She asks if we?ve been to see the Norman Lowell Gallery up the road a ways, and I say that we stopped there after it had just closed the other day and are planning to visit it today. She tells me a lot about Mr. Lowell, and says her father-in-law, an artist, actually taught Mr. Lowell how to use acrylic paints many years ago. Her father-in-law is now 93, still vigorous, but doesn?t paint or draw at all anymore. She has begged him many times to teach her things and show her how to use acrylic, but he just won?t go there. She doesn?t know why. She says we really DO have to go see the Lowell Gallery up the road, that it is amazing, as are Mr. Lowell?s paintings of Alaska.

By noon, we?re all done with laundry, we have some lunch, and head out to the store for more paper plates and to visit Norman Lowell?s gallery on Sterling Highway. Highway repairs are creating long long long lines of waiting traffic on the 2-lane road. Yuck. We hook a NY-u-ee and go back to Safeway to do our shopping. Maybe things will start moving by the time I?ve gotten paper plates. I also couldn?t resist our first yellow-and-red Rainier cherries of the year.

When we?re done at Safeway, traffic is indeed moving somewhat better so we decide to risk heading north to the gallery. We notice at the other end of the backup, the north end, that the line of cars and RVs is miles long, stopped dead, waiting for the pilot car to lead them through the one-lane section. This may have been a bad idea, after all. Oh, well, we?re committed now.

Norman Lowell?s gallery isn?t advertised anywhere. There?s simply a signpost along the road. It?s free; anyone can come in and look. And buy, if they want ? and have a lot of money to spend! Mr. Lowell is 85 now, and is totally self-taught, according to a couple of newspaper and magazine articles I read while at his gallery. He and his wife Libby homesteaded here in 1958 after coming here from the Lower 48, living in a tiny log cabin after buying 140 acres of land. He has been a diligent painter of Alaskan landscapes and has clearly made a great deal of money doing so. He built a larger house and separate studio in the 1970s, then finally a really beautiful house in the 1990s, followed by ?the gallery? on which he spent $400,000, to display his paintings, many of which are in the Albert Bierstadt tradition. A good many paintings are very large, wall-sized canvases that are maybe 14-feet square or larger, painted in oils or acrylics depicting nearby mountains, the Cook Inlet, winter scenes, Mt. Redoubt erupting in the early 90s, etc. A few paintings have people in them, usually children, but most are simply depictions of Alaskan nature at its most gorgeous. Quite a few of his works include images of his early homestead cabin.

I would characterize Norman Lowell?s style as that of 19th century American Romanticism. Many people came here over the years, saw and liked what they saw -- and bought from Mr. Lowell. Prices on his paintings run from $3,000 to $45,000; prints of many of his most-popular works are available for $350 up to $750, unframed. The huge gallery building, measuring 40? x 100? and then with an L that is another 30? x 40?, contains about 6 large rooms filled with Normal Lowell originals of all sizes. Probably 5,200 sq ft in all, absolutely chock-full of paintings and drawings. Behind a railing I noticed a half-dozen additional paintings leaning against the railing because there was no space to put them on the walls. This is a remarkable body of work! And these are the ones he hasn?t sold?  Very fine quality work, too, and taken as a whole, this is about as good an exhibit as you?ll see in any major art museum of the world.

At one point I notice a small hand-lettered sign that said a limited selection of Mr. Lowell?s original paintings are now for sale this summer that have never been available before. I asked the attendant if we could see the paintings that are for sale right now at ?special prices.? She led us into a small back room called the ?sales room??lining 3 walls were about 40 smaller paintings, all in very beautiful frames, ranging in size from 3?x 5? up to about 10?x 12?. Near the door was a very nice little 6?x 8? mountain landscape done in oil, framed in an ornate gilt wood frame, for $6,000 (that?s a $1,400 discount from the original price, the pricetag says). I?m not sure why Mr. Lowell is selling these pieces during this summer period?maybe he needs to raise money for medical care, or just wants to get rid of some things before he dies, or doesn?t have room to display everything he?s done.

In the L that runs off the far end of the gallery is a room where prints of Mr. Lowell?s work are sold (by the thousands, I can only guess, judging from the huge inventories of prints). We learned there that Mr. Lowell has lost most of his eyesight in recent years and is legally blind. In order to be able to continue his beloved painting every day, he rigged up a system of 24 LED color-corrected spotlights that enable him to see images and continue painting. One entire wall of this L room, the print gallery, is filled with his most recent paintings. They look very different from his classical works -- brighter colors, less subtle composition and content, some a bit neon-y in tone and quality. If I had an opportunity, I would suggest to Mr. Lowell that he depart from trying to paint in his typical impressionistic/romantic style and go to a completely abstract style, given his loss of eyesight. I would be willing to bet that the results would be stupendous! After so many years of painting realism, his abstracts would be gorgeous because he can see the images in his head, and just paint what is in his head, using no references at all.

What makes Normal Lowell?s gallery all the more remarkable is the enormous collection he and his wife Libby have amassed of Native Alaskan artifacts and carvings, also on public display in the gallery, on tables, in cases, on pedestals, on the floors, everywhere. Gorgeous, intricate carvings the likes of which were only available in ?the old days? up here in Alaska?for example, there is a carving of walrus tusk depicting an Inupiak trimmed in furs driving a dog sled with 7 dogs pulling it?showing incredible detail?this is about a foot or 16 inches in length overall, and is perched on a long polished walrus tusk for display. These kinds of large, detailed carvings are rare and are almost never created any more. Few Native carvers have the skill these days to do such work, and most want to do small carvings that sell for $30 to $300, so they can make a lot of money; few artisans anywhere have the patience nowadays for the kind of complicated, time-consuming works that were more commonplace a hundred years ago.

The Norman & Libby Lowell Collection of Alaskan Art & Artifacts is, by itself, enough reason to visit the gallery numerous times. This is Smithsonian-quality work Alaskan art , as well as wonderful ancient artifacts ? knives, spears, tools, bones, ivory, clothing, you name it, the Lowells have collected it.

The traffic problems had corrected themselves by the time we returned to town, thank goodness. We zipped through the repair section, now open for 2 lanes instead of just one, and we went looking for the Two Sisters Bakery in Old Town Homer, near Bishop?s Beach. A quaint little section of Homer. We wandered through a little Arts Center linked to Maura?s Caf?. Nice places. Down the street farther is Two Sisters, which we?d read and heard was a good place.

Two Sisters Bakery is quite terrific. Clearly this is a VERY successful business! Housed in a big old cabin, this coffee shop, lunch caf?, and bakery has a comfortable front porch with a couch and a couple of tables and chairs, as well as a few tables and chairs inside. Approaching the front steps, we passed a big picnic table and walked across a large pea-gravel play-yard scattered with toys, hula hoops and large, rusted yellow models of earth-moving equipment?aha! Caterpillar trucks, loaders, graders, you name it. And 3 or 4 darling little kids playing with all of this stuff, their moms sitting on the steps or in chairs chatting with each other and sipping their coffees.

Even at 4 in the afternoon, the place was fairly buzzing. Two Sisters has a big display case of fresh baked breads. I immediately decided I?d get an oval-shaped loaf of the sunflower-oat bread, which felt delightfully heavy and dense, just the way I like it. We both ordered decaf espresso drinks, and Don got a chocolate-chip brownie to go with his coffee, while I got a lemon bar. Both were delicious! We decided we have to return to Two Sisters tomorrow for our afternoon coffee and goodie!

We had a couple of good conversations while at Two Sisters. I asked a gentleman sitting on the couch near us having coffee if he was a local, and he said he is. He moved here from California 20 years ago, he said. I asked if he?d ever been to the so-called Old-Time Burlesque show that?s performed at Champagne Alice?s, and if is worth going to. I?d seen a sign advertising the show somewhere, and thought we might try to attend it tomorrow night (Friday). He said it?s very good, very funny and always good entertainment. He goes to it every year. Don is ambivalent about seeing the show; I think it would be fun. We?ll see.

Our other conversation, a much longer one, was with a young woman named Carolyn whose little boy, 2 ?, was one of the cute kids playing with the Caterpillar truck toys, and pouring loads of pea-gravel into a model-house with a hinged roof on it, using a big scoop. Carolyn is also a native of Homer, born and raised here. She works 3 days a week for a non-profit based here, run by the gentleman we?d just been speaking to. This is her day off. We talked for a long time about the joys and the difficulties of living in a really small town life Homer, where everybody knows everyone else?s business?the good, the bad, the ugly. She was such fun. She?d like to live in a larger city sometime, she said, just to try it out, but her partner, the father of her little boy, is ?absolutely determined to stay here for his lifetime, for the hunting and the fishing. He wants no part of city living, ever,? she said. ?So for at least the foreseeable future, I?m destined to be here in Homer,? she laughed.

Dinner was late today. At 9, I made fried baloney sandwiches out of the smoked bologna (baloney!) I bought from Black Jaxx in Soldotna -- with ketchup on them, of course! Mind-blowing memories of youth! Yum! Then Don went for another long walk while I read Michener?I?m very close to the end. It?s still really great reading. I want to finish it and move on.

At 10 pm the sun is still shining brightly. It?s very hard to go to bed when the sun is still up?once I?m IN bed with my mask on, I know it?s night and I know I am tired and supposed to sleep, but the temptation is just to keep going practically around the clock up here when the days are so long.

Friday July 12, 2013 Day 45

Another perfect day, sunshine, blue sky, light winds, a few whitecaps on the bay. Sat and wrote, read books, hung out until 2:30. Saw eagles on beach.

Breakfast was a one-pan deal of saut?ed (frozen) chicken maple sausages that I had brought from home, fried in a tiny bit of butter until browned and crispy on the outside, then cut into half-inch slices and covered with 4 beaten eggs, covered and set on low til cooked through. Turned out very puffy and delicious, crispy and browned on the bottom. Accompanied by a toasted piece of sunflower-oat bread purchased at Two Sisters Bakery yesterday. A mighty fine breakfast and a good way to finish off some of our food.

I brought along on this trip 4 packages of those frozen chicken-maple sausages, and they?ve sure made wonderful meals. Extremely tasty little guys. They stay frozen really well in our RV?s freezer, too.

When we left the RV park to head for town, we both saw a low-flying large object as we drove north on Homer Spit. We both thought it was a plane at first, coming in for a landing as it headed in our direction?though this was a mighty strange place for a plane to be landing! Nope, a very large golden eagle, swooping very close to us. Nature at its best here in Homer. I?m almost beginning to take golden eagles for granted!

Two Sisters Bakery is an outstanding place here in Homer. Everything in the bakery cases was different today from yesterday. Don had an excellent oatmeal raising cookie, I ordered a decadent-looking sticky bun, which turned out to be about the best sticky bun I?d ever eaten. And great coffee. We met one of the owners as she was deadheading plants in the hanging baskets all around the porches, and told her what a wonderful business she runs. A transplant from Pennsylvania, she?s been running Two Sisters for 21 years.

We sat on the Two Sisters porch and watched the world go by. Just drifting, drifting, and floating?enjoying watching the people around us. Kids playing in the yard of pea-gravel, loading the trucks with gravel and then dumping them. Reloading, dumping. Reloading, dumping. Remember those days?

I made a reservation for Sunday night at the Kenai Princess RV Park in Cooper Landing, on our way to Whittier for the ferry on Monday. Wanted to make sure we had a place to stay on our way north.

We walked to the end of the road where Two Sisters Bakery is located, and walked on Bishop?s Beach for quite a while. Very blustery and quite chilly. People can drive their cars and trucks right out onto the beach and park on top of the storm berm. When the tide is out, that is. Most of them haul ATVs with them, on trailers or in the backs of their trucks. They drive ATVs all up and down the wide, rocky beachfront. We watched as one guy unloaded 2 ATVs and took off on his larger one holding his little blond-headed 3 yr old daughter on his lap, while racing and bouncing alongside him was a mini-ATV being driven by his 6-7 yr old son being jounced around as they paralleled their way up the stony beach. This beach is completely open to the winds off Cook Inlet, and to the massive numbers of rocks and stones being washed ashore. Piles and piles of them, miles and miles of them.

My stepsister Jana would love this beach open to Cook Inlet because it?s loaded with piles of gorgeous, graceful strands of seaweed and kelp, and huge leaves of underwater plants that she softens, then cuts and shapes and weaves into fabulously creative baskets and artifacts, for sale at craft fairs.

Back in the Rollin Home, Don instantly fell asleep while I read more of Michener, racing toward the end. Gangs of people from town arrived for an after-work cookout and wine party at the covered picnic spot near the beach. They were having a rollicking good time.

I suggested we drive to the local Elks Lodge about 3 blocks away to have a beer & wine and meet some more locals who might be there. The 2-story lodge is large and faces onto Cook Inlet?a simply gorgeous location! It has a large lawn and is on a beautiful piece of property. And what a view! Across the water are the jaggedy Chigmit Mountains at the north end of the Aleutian Range, with all the big glaciers very visible, especially from the big deck on the top floor. About 15 people were at the bar, and maybe another 20 ofr so were having dinner. We talked with a few people, had a nice time. Decided not to stay for dinner?have to empty our refrigerator!

Don drove out to the end of Homer Spit again, just for the heck of it. We parked and walked for a while, past a bunch of fish processing plants, out toward the ferry dock and Land?s End. Though it?s Friday night and things ostensibly get really busy here at Homer Spit on weekends during the summer months, it sure wasn?t busy out there tonight. It was virtually deserted, in fact. We found a local ice cream place and bought an ice cream?oh, good, they had pralines & cream, my favorite! Don had Death by Chocolate, so his ears will ring all night from the caffeine and he?ll complain about it!

While eating our ice cream, we struck up a conversation with a couple from Boise, Idaho who are up here with their 5th wheel trailer. We spoke with them at length. Then as we were leaving, a man & woman were looking at our RV as we got close. We told them all about our Rollin Home, and learned they were from Traverse City, Michigan, traveling in a truck camper parked a few feet away from our parking spot. Turns out they both taught school for years and years in Grand Rapids and lived on the west side of the city, close to where I grew up. Both of them are German, too. We had such fun talking about our trips, our families, about Michigan, about GR, about everything. Ted and Dottie Meier.

End of day. Home. Sun is still shining. It?s 10 pm already. We?ve had lots of wind in our hair today during our walks. We?ll sleep well tonight!

Saturday July 13, 2013 Day 46

I am utterly exhausted after taking a loooooooong walk in late afternoon / early evening along the Homer Spit, north towards the town of Homer. Each time we?ve driven out onto the Spit we?ve passed a couple of ?boat boneyards? where fishermen have abandoned their old wooden fishing boats from eras gone by. They sit at tip-tilted angles, paint peeling off old rotted hulls, windows broken out, old cables and lines left in their sterns to decay along with the aged tools of the seamen.

They sit alongside a small lagoon that is a mudhole at low tide, but would float a boat at high tide. Some boats are on old rusted trailers, some on rotted cradles, some simply propped up on rotted blocks of wood. Each one murmurs that it has a complicated, interesting history?the stuff of novels, no doubt.

One small fishing boat in particular fascinates me. It harkens back to an age long gone, built maybe in the 1920s or thereabouts: Its name is Virginis and it is about 25 feet long, has a very narrow beam (width) of only about 5 or 6 feet, with a red-painted hull of fine wood lapstrake, topped by a very nice white, quite tall pilot house that nearly fills her hull bow to stern and port to starboard, leaving only enough space on deck for the width of one man?s foot to scramble to the bow when necessary. It carries tall wooden spars either side of the pilot house, with ropes and pulleys and halyards attached to them ? she was a shrimper or a fish-netter back in the day, I?d bet. She?s built for just 2 men, a captain and one crew member. Somebody has using her as recently as the 1970s, looks like, because there is a fairly modern radar scope attached to the top of the pilot house. No room for anyone else. Did her owner die? Did her owner build this lovely little boat himself or have her built custom? Was it someone?s life dream to own a boat of these dimensions and design? Did he go broke and have to give her up at some point? Or did he simply grow old and all the kids left home and moved to the big cities (or abandoned Alaska entirely) so no one was left to go out fishing with the old man?

That was the end of my day. The boneyard. Taking pictures, walking in the salt air and strong breezes. A gorgeous day.

The Homer Farmer?s Market on Saturdays is quite good. Probably 50-60 vendors, many selling gigantic, luscious homegrown vegetables, a few selling spectacular baked goods, two selling jarred and canned and smoked salmon, the rest crafts of various kinds, everything from soaps to aromatherapy junk to the usual jewelry and tote bags. Because we?re going on the ferry in 2 days, I didn?t dare to buy any veggies. I did buy a couple of hand-crocheted dishrags, though, for $4?I love those things! And I bought a fresh rhubarb sour cream streusel coffee cake for tomorrow morning and Monday morning from a very demure Amish girl. Couldn?t resist.

We drove out East End Road in Homer, almost to the end, having heard of some interesting stuff out there. Not a place many tourists go, apparently, but quite a great ride. The road climbs along a ridge as it heads north to the far end of Kachemak Bay. At the very end is an old Russian village, but a Homer guide warned us not to drive all the way to the end because the final descent into the valley is extremely steep and the road is unimproved. Darn. The views across the bay toward the Chigmit Mountains and the Aleutian Range, with about a dozen huge glaciers in clear sight, are spectacular. And because of our height toward the north end of the bay, we could see down to where Seldovia and Halibut Cove are located, as well as the inlets of Kachemak Bay State Park and Katmai National Park & Preserve. Much oohing and aahing.

Guess where we went next? You guessed it?back into town to Two Sisters Bakery and Coffee Shop! For the 3rd day in a row. We really like hanging out there! The place was buzzing with weekend business. As before, we chatted with some locals, and then started up a conversation with a retired couple at the adjoining table and learned they had just yesterday bought an RV quite similar to ours, but were mystified about how some things on it were supposed to work. They live just a bit north of Homer, in Ninilchik, and had come down to camp for the weekend to break in their new toy. After much discussion of theirs, ours, and so on, Don took them on a tour of our Rollin Home, then went with them to their unit and tried to show them how some things worked. They never were able to figure out how the awning works, so they?ll have to visit Anchorage?s Winnebago dealer to have everything checked out and put in working order.

There?s a good carwash place along the main road here, so we stopped and gave the buggy a good washing, which it badly needed. I do the high-power spray to start, then Don scrubs with the brush, then I return with the high-power spray some more. We had to put in enough quarters for 3 full cycles of washes. The RH looks gorgeous and shiny now!

After returning to our RV park and settling into our spot (we have to drive our Rollin Home up onto stacks of 3 large-size Lego-style ?blocks? to get us level), Don went walking while I was reading Michener and fell fast asleep for an hour. Then we both went walking to the boat boneyard. I was practically ready for the boneyard by the time we returned from our 4-5 mile walk along the shoreline of the spit. Could hardly get dinner ready before collapsing.

I?ll sleep well tonight! Tomorrow we head north again, stopping at Timberline Creations for Michael Lettis?s pendant; then at Ninilchik to browse through a good store called The Peddler where Catherine whom I met today has some of her artwork for sale; then at Soldotna for some jugs of water; then to Cooper Landing where we are staying for the night at the Kenai Princess RV Park right on the Kenai River, at the confluence of Kenai Lake and the Kenai River.

To allay Don?s anxieties about all the ferry legs we?re doing starting Monday night out of Whittier, we went over all of the dates and times of ferry trips and where we?re staying from here on out. Basically the next phase of our Alaska Adventure consists of a month weaving our way through what Alaskans call The Southeast, or what most of us know as The Inside Passage. It should be tons of fun! Lots of boat rides, lots of really nifty things planed. Maybe we?ll even get to see a moose in Alaska yet!

We saw ?our? golden eagle about 6 times today, once flying practically alongside us at door-handle level as we drove toward town this morning for the Farmer?s Market. He hangs around out here most of the time, it seems, and has perhaps staked out the territory near the RV park here as his own. He often sits atop the tall pole out in front of the RV park office. And he perches atop the tall light post just north of here by the Marine Terminal. And on our way back from our walk tonight, he sat atop a tall crane at the Marine Terminal, just lookin around and having a good ol time.

Homer is a super place. I could live in this town happily. We both like it a lot. Not a big place, not a lot happening, but a very nice comfortable spot on the map. We learned that Homer is a bit of a Banana Belt in Alaska?temperatures here in the winter are often more moderate than, say, in Anchor Point only 15 miles away. What that means is it might be zero here, but 15 below zero in Anchor Point. Not warm, but a bit less cold than elsewhere. And summer weather here is just perfect ? almost always a slightly cool edge to the air, so it?s never hot hot.

G?night all.

We have been in Homer the past 3 days and sorry we keep missing you guys. We will be leaving Tuesday morning for Cooper Landing. For the third time staying at Princess RV Park for 5 or 6 days.

Saturday July 13, 2013 Day 46

I am utterly exhausted after taking a loooooooong walk in late afternoon / early evening along the Homer Spit, north towards the town of Homer. Each time we?ve driven out onto the Spit we?ve passed a couple of ?boat boneyards? where fishermen have abandoned their old wooden fishing boats from eras gone by. They sit at tip-tilted angles, paint peeling off old rotted hulls, windows broken out, old cables and lines left in their sterns to decay along with the aged tools of the seamen.

They sit alongside a small lagoon that is a mudhole at low tide, but would float a boat at high tide. Some boats are on old rusted trailers, some on rotted cradles, some simply propped up on rotted blocks of wood. Each one murmurs that it has a complicated, interesting history?the stuff of novels, no doubt.

One small fishing boat in particular fascinates me. It harkens back to an age long gone, built maybe in the 1920s or thereabouts: Its name is Virginis and it is about 25 feet long, has a very narrow beam (width) of only about 5 or 6 feet, with a red-painted hull of fine wood lapstrake, topped by a very nice white, quite tall pilot house that nearly fills her hull bow to stern and port to starboard, leaving only enough space on deck for the width of one man?s foot to scramble to the bow when necessary. It carries tall wooden spars either side of the pilot house, with ropes and pulleys and halyards attached to them ? she was a shrimper or a fish-netter back in the day, I?d bet. She?s built for just 2 men, a captain and one crew member. Somebody has using her as recently as the 1970s, looks like, because there is a fairly modern radar scope attached to the top of the pilot house. No room for anyone else. Did her owner die? Did her owner build this lovely little boat himself or have her built custom? Was it someone?s life dream to own a boat of these dimensions and design? Did he go broke and have to give her up at some point? Or did he simply grow old and all the kids left home and moved to the bigger towns or cities (or abandoned Alaska entirely) so no one was left to go out fishing with the old man? Makes for such interesting speculation.

That was the end of my day. The boneyard. Taking pictures. Walking in the salt air and strong breezes. A gorgeous day.

The Homer Farmer?s Market on Saturdays is quite good. Probably 30-40 vendors, many selling gigantic, luscious homegrown vegetables, a few selling spectacular baked goods, two selling jarred and canned and smoked salmon, the rest crafts of various kinds, everything from soaps to aromatherapy junk to the usual jewelry and tote bags. Because we?re going on the ferry in 2 days, I didn?t dare to buy any veggies. I did buy a couple of hand-crocheted dishrags, though, for $4?I love those things! And I bought a fresh rhubarb sour cream streusel coffee cake for tomorrow morning and Monday morning from a very demure Amish girl. Couldn?t resist.

We drove out East End Road in Homer, almost to the end, having heard of some interesting stuff out there. Not a place many tourists go, apparently, but quite a great ride. The road climbs along a ridge as it heads north to the far end of Kachemak Bay. At the very end is an old Russian village, but a Homer guide warned us not to drive all the way to the end because the final descent into the valley is extremely steep and the road is unimproved. Darn. The views across the bay toward the Chigmit Mountains and the Aleutian Range, with about a dozen huge glaciers in clear sight, are spectacular. And because of our height toward the north end of the bay, we could see down to where Seldovia and Halibut Cove are located, as well as the inlets of Kachemak Bay State Park and Katmai National Park & Preserve. Much oohing and aahing.

Guess where we went next? You guessed it?back into town to Two Sisters Bakery and Coffee Shop! For the 3rd day in a row. We really like hanging out there! The place was buzzing with weekend business. As before, we chatted with some locals, and then started up a conversation with a retired couple at the adjoining table and learned they had just yesterday bought an RV quite similar to ours, but were mystified about how some things on it were supposed to work. They live just a bit north of Homer, in Ninilchik, and had come down to camp for the weekend to break in their new toy. After much discussion of theirs, ours, and so on, Don took them on a tour of our Rollin Home, then went with them to their unit and tried to show them how some things worked. They never were able to figure out how the awning works, so they?ll have to visit Anchorage?s Winnebago dealer to have everything checked out and put in working order.

There?s a good carwash place along the main road here, so we stopped and gave the buggy a good washing, which it badly needed. I do the high-power spray to start, then Don scrubs with the brush, then I return with the high-power spray some more. We had to put in enough quarters for 3 full cycles of washes. The RH looks gorgeous and shiny now!

After returning to our RV park and settling into our spot (we have to drive our Rollin Home up onto stacks of 3 large-size Lego-style ?blocks? to get us level), Don went walking while I was reading Michener and fell fast asleep for an hour. Then we both went walking to the boat boneyard. I was practically ready for the boneyard by the time we returned from our 4-5 mile walk along the shoreline of the spit. Could hardly get dinner ready before collapsing.

I?ll sleep well tonight! Tomorrow we head north again, stopping at Timberline Creations for Michael Lettis?s pendant; then at Ninilchik to browse through a good store called The Peddler where Catherine whom I met today has some of her artwork for sale; then at Soldotna for some jugs of water; then to Cooper Landing where we are staying for the night at the Kenai Princess RV Park right on the Kenai River, at the confluence of Kenai Lake and the Kenai River.

To allay Don?s anxieties about all the ferry legs we?re doing starting Monday night out of Whittier, we went over all of the dates and times of ferry trips and where we?re staying from here on out. Basically the next phase of our Alaska Adventure consists of a month weaving our way through what Alaskans call The Southeast, or what most of us know as The Inside Passage. It should be tons of fun! Lots of boat rides, lots of really nifty things planed. Maybe we?ll even get to see a moose in Alaska yet!

We saw ?our? golden eagle about 6 times today, once flying practically alongside us at door-handle level as we drove toward town this morning for the Farmer?s Market. He hangs around out here most of the time, it seems, and has perhaps staked out the territory near the RV park here as his own. He often sits atop the tall pole out in front of the RV park office. And he perches atop the tall light post just north of here by the Marine Terminal. And on our way back from our walk tonight, he sat atop a tall crane at the Marine Terminal, just lookin around and having a good ol time.

Homer is a super place. I could live in this town happily. We both like it a lot. Not a big place, not a lot happening, but a very nice comfortable spot on the map. We learned that Homer is a bit of a Banana Belt in Alaska?temperatures here in the winter are often more moderate than, say, in Anchor Point only 15 miles away. What that means is it might be zero here, but 15 below zero in Anchor Point. Not warm, but a bit less cold than elsewhere. And summer weather here is just perfect ? almost always a slightly cool edge to the air, so it?s never hot hot.

G?night all.

Sunday July 14, 2013 Day 47

I was actually sad to leave Homer. I love the town, and the feel of the sea on both sides out on the Homer Spit. Very much my big-water fix, with hundreds of gulls screeching and gliding in circles, lots of interesting ?stuff? rolling up onto the beaches at high tide for good beachcombing later on, and the sound of waves lapping?in the case of Homer, a loud sound since the sea-bottom consists of gazillions of tiny rocks being tossed and pushed by currents and waves, back and forth, back and forth. The rivers, streams, creeks and big bodies of water up here are SO rocky that the sounds of water flowing and waves lapping on the shore are virtual rumbles. You can even feel the sound of the moving rocks in the water down in the pit of your stomach.

We heard it again tonight while standing far far above the fast-moving Kenai River, on n observation deck at the Kenai Princess Lodge. Yes, you know it?s water, flowing, but you can also hear the low-pitched rumble of many underlying rocks being pushed by the water. Very interesting, and quite different from the mild sound of flowing riverwater in other parts of the world.

We?re here at the Kenai Princess Lodge and RV Park, Cooper Landing AK, for the night. Cooper Landing is world famous, because it is positioned at the confluence of the spectacular salmon & trout fishing river, the Kenai, and the Russian River. Also at a point just up the road a mile or so from where we are parked, the wide, deep, fast turquoise-hued Kenai river joins with the upper part of Kenai Lake, a very large, long body of big-water where we head the fishing is also spectacular during the ?runs?. This is a very small park of only 30 RV sites, and although we?re parked close together, there?s lots of grass and we?re surrounded 360 by dense forests, with big views of high mountains at each end of the park. Can?t complain about this?almost too picturesque for words. Very good value, too, at $36.50 for the night, for full hookups and wonderful bathrooms. (The Kenai Princess Lodge and this park are owned by the Princess Cruise line?the hired help at the lodge live here during the summers in the RV park in their campers and in a string of cabins at one end of the park. Very smart plan by Princess Cruises since this is quite an isolated area of Alaska and the labor pool is thin.)

Our drive from Homer to Cooper Landing occurred in spurts of short trips, with lots of stops on the way?too many stops in Don?s book! First we stopped at Timberline Creations for me to see the new caribou antler carvings Mike Pettis had done since I was there. Yes, I gave in to temptation! Mike?s wife Sandy was working the store this morning, watering her hanging baskets of lush fuschias. Then as we drove past a couple of ramshackle stores with ?interesting? fronts on them, I asked Don to hook a U-ee and take me back for some pictures?they were the only ?wilderness? places I?d seen so far that were unique in appearance?very Alaska, not like any storefronts you?d see anywhere else. Don thought one of the storefronts was just ?junky and cluttered? and not worth pics; the second one, though, was a tiny log-cabin cubicle of a fly shop (you know, flies as in fly-fishing!) that was just too cute to believe?not cutesy-cloying, but rugged and hand-hewn and weathered. Looked as if it had been there since about 1915. Definitely worth some pics.

Traffic was very heavy headed north from Homer?people going home to Anchorage after being down in vacation-land fishing for the weekend, I suspect. Loads of cars with crazy drivers passing strings of campers and RVs on 2-lane roads despite everyone moving at about the speed limit of 55. Some locals who think they know the roads well enough apparently feel quite confident about passing other vehicles on hills, curves and other dangerous places. Oddly, the traffic headed south toward Homer was also remarkably heavy, because of the fishing season and the so-called ?second run? that everyone is waiting for right now.

A view of Mt. Redoubt came into sight and we stopped twice at pullouts for pics of this gorgeous cone-shaped volcano far across the Cook Inlet, looking pale blue and pink in the morning haze, very much like the Japanese prints you see of Mt. Fuji. So beautiful I literally wanted to haul out my paints on the spot and sit right there to do a watery watercolor painting. But Don wanted to keep going, so we continued on.

Next we watched carefully for the little shop in Ninilchik called The Peddler that we heard about yesterday while talking with people who live in Ninilchik. Kathryn Kennedy wanted me to stop and see her watercolor paintings there. The shop?s sign is barely visible from the road, so at first we whizzed on by and I spotted it as we passed, so Don hooked a U-ee and returned, so I could amble through and look at ?stuff.? Isn?t he sweet?

Great little shop, I must say? a real jumble of excellent quality gift items, native carvings, and fur/leather boots and slippers in a quaint old building. The Peddler represents about 20-30 local artisans who make a wide assortment of things, from needlework to paintings to photos to turned-wood bowls and some apparel items. Unfortunately, I just wasn?t in my ?shopping mode? so I didn?t buy anything, but I would recommend the shop highly! They need a bigger sign that is far easier to see, so more people would stop, though. It?s directly across the Sterling Highway from A Fish Hunt fishing charter office, and right alongside the Ninilchik Community Library, a large gray steel building.

On to Soldotna, where we will stop at the Fred Meyer store for jugs of water and a new ?basin? that will fit in my freezer to put the bag of ice in. On the way into Soldotna I want to go into one of the local campgrounds to walk along the town?s boardwalks bordering the Kenai River, to watch the salmon coming upriver and see the fishermen lining the banks trying to catch them. Quite a show and we want to see it. Well, I gotta tell ya, a million people were in Soldotna, and half of those were lined up on the narrow, gravel 2-lane road we turned onto to get into the Centennial Campground. Yikes! We sat and sat and sat?the line was moving very very very slowly. Most inefficient gate process we?ve ever seen! If there had been any way at all the turn around and make a dash out of there we would?ve done it, but the road was too narrow, bordered on either side by ditches and dense trees. When we finally got to the entry gate we said we were giving up and turning around and leaving?attendant was so happy to have an ?easy? entrant that she grinned as said ?Go for it!?

After exiting the park, we quickly saw that practically every car, truck, camper and RV we had seen on the road north was trying to turn into the Fred Meyer parking lot. Everybody loves Freddie?s, as they say here in the northland. Double yikes! We could see that if we simply went to the far entrance driveway, we?d whip right into the lot with nary a slowdown, so that?s what we did. And pulled into a nearby parking space that was just right for us. Thank goodness for this 25 footer, it fits into any space! I went in to find the jugs of water and a bin for the freezer, Don stayed home to guard the family jewels.

Met Lynette and Rick Merrill?both work on the North Slope. Loved our Rollin Home and came over to see it while I was in the store. They pulled in while Don was parking, and Lynette was doing sign language and waving madly at Don, and at Rick while he was driving; Don had no idea what she was indicating, but they quickly pulled into a parking spot and dashed over to our rig, and introduced themselves and began exclaiming that this was EXACTLY the kind of rig they?d been searching for, and wanted to know all about it. When I returned after shopping, there was a reg?lar party goin on!

Don had been talking up a storm with them for 25 minutes already. I invited Lynette inside to see the layout, storage, etc. She just loved everything. And believe me, we were both talking so fast we covered a WHOLE lot of ground before we finished with the tour. We talked with them for over an hour. Lynette and Rick live in Soldotna. Rick is Lynette?s 3rd husband; she moved to the teeny-tiny town of Glennallen from Ft. Lauderdale FL back in the 70s. Glennallen had a population of 60 and was very primitive then. Lynette hauled water from a well, used an outhouse. Talk about culture shock!! . She now has a ?great job? keeping records for an oil co on the North Slope. Makes a ton of money. Rick is a materials engineer, also working at the North Slope, but on a completely different schedule from Lynette?s They both go there 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Both are very intense, intelligent people. Lynette is clad in a sequined top, rhinestone-studded flipflops and a fancy belt?I can?t for the life of me picture her living in Glennallen hauling watr from a distant well in buckets to wash dishes and clothes.

After finishing our ?meet new friends party,? we fill up with diesel at Freddie?s and drive to the Kenai Princess RV Park in Cooper Landing, where we?re parked alongside Mel and Linda Burrowes in their 5th wheel, whom we met in Anchorage at the Ship Creek RV Park. They?re from the east coast and have kids in Lakewood CO they?re visiting in early Sept?we might see them again then there. I took a bottle of cold chardonnay over, we all had happy hour together. Really fun sharing our funny stories about where we?d been and what all we?d done in each town we?ve visited.

After having crackers and Rondele cheese with Linda and Mel, we didn?t need much dinner, so we cut up an apple for sharing, then took a long walk before bed. Though this RV park is advertised as ?riverside? it is hardly that! Lovely, yes, but not exactly ?on the banks of the famous Kenai??it sits far above the beautiful Kenai River partway up a mountain. The overlook decks give a great view of the roaring river far below. You can hear it, bit it?s hardly the nearby sound that lulls you to sleep.

Monday July 15, 2013 Day 48

On to Whittier this morning. We were uncertain as to whether we should drive into Whittier right away or kill a few hours along the way; we?d read that parking is extremely limited in Whittier, a tiny landlocked place with high mountains encircling the town and little flat area. Yet some friends had told us they loved Whittier, so we wanted to go in and walk around for a while. Hmmmm, what to do?

While driving there, we were in no hurry at all. For once, Don pulled off at virtually every vistapoint and camera opportunity. We watched birds, saw some eagles as well as sandhill cranes and swans and ducks. No moose, though we were in prime moose country and were on the road early. Before we knew it, we were at Portage for the turnoff to Whittier. Although we watched for a good pulloff to while away the hours reading and kill some more time before going into Whittier, the distances were much shorter than we thought and before we knew it we had already arrived at the Whittier Tunnel.

We left the Kenai Peninsula after 9 days seeing all 4 of the distinctly different parts of the peninsula. We just loved every bit of it! I could easily live in Seward, Kenai or Homer?great little towns! Small but not backwards, great mix of people in each place, friendly folks everywhere ? cheechakos (newcomers) as well as sourdoughs (long-timers) -- and interesting weather patterns. We never got to see the ?real? Kenai Fjords because of the overcast weather, rain and dense clouds at Seward that made a cruise out to the Kenai Fjords Natl Park worthless, but we?ll live. At least now Don has a sense of what fjords really are?high steep rocky and forested mountains rising directly from the ocean, creating narrow passageways and ethereal vistas. We?ll see a LOT more fjord-like areas as we cruise on the ferries on our 9 legs to the southeast and down the inside passage. So I?m not at all worried.

New adventures lie ahead. As we pondered our strategy for Whittier suddenly we were at the tollgate leading into the Whittier Tunnel. Oops! The one-lane tunnel would open for our passage through to the east, at 2:30; it was only 1:30 when we were there, so we hooked a U-ee and went for a quick lunch at the nearby ?lodge??ha! Hardly a lodge, more like a tourist ripoff spot with prepackaged (somewhat soggy) sandwiches for sale. Oh well. We split a sandwich and a coffee. Then drove through the tunnel at 2:30. 

The Whittier Tunnel is a railroad tunnel carved through a very large mountain. At more than 2 miles long, it is the longest tunnel in the US and one of the 3 longest in the world. A few years ago, the tunnel was ?modified? so that it is now a 1-lane car/truck tunnel as well. Every half-hour a line of cars, RVs and trucks is allowed to go through, in one direction only. If there?s a train, it gets priority.

But the tunnel?s modification doesn?t mean it was turned into a real road! They left it ?rustic,? perhaps for the tourists; most likely because of the enormous cost of building a concrete road alongside the train tracks?so, it consists of wide wooden planks set on either side of ? and between ? the railroad tracks. Instructions are to stay 100-150 feet away from other vehicles ahead of and behind you, and to go 25 mph. And the tunnel is black, wet, blasted rock overhead and alongside you?no fancy well-lit corrugated tunnel material added to cover the sharp, jagged and chiseled rocks of the mountain or prevent waterfalls in here! It?s black as pitch except for vehicle headlights, and absolutely running with water everywhere, rivers of it. Water drips on the windshield. Wheels and tires wobble and swerve as they move along the spaces between planks and join the railroad tracks at times. Surely one of the more interesting tunnel experiences of all time! The trip through the tunnel takes all of 6 ? minutes if there are no stoppages or slowdowns.

My friend Linda wondered when we talked by phone several days later how it is that they don?t get lots of black mold forming in that tunnel, creating hazardous conditions. I wonder! It must be very slippery in there, given the water that constantly runs everywhere. Does somebody hose the tunnel down periodically with bleach? Or do they just let nature do its thing? I suspect the latter is true.

The City of Whittier is nearly a ghost town. Travel brochures say Whittier has ?small coastal town charm? combined with fascinating WWII history. Hardly. It is grey, bland, devoid of any charm at all. Fishing and fish processing are the only things in Whittier any more. Takes maybe an hour to see everything there is to see. Big cruise ships pull in almost daily, disgorging hundreds and thousands of passengers who walk the tiny town?there are a very few (crummy) shops and (poor) restaurants along the sidewalks near the cruise-ship dock, and a very few more shops and restaurants 5 or 6 blocks north where the ferry dock is located. Not much here, to say the least. But the town has ?gentrified? itself with some nice park benches along the new concrete walkway along the small boat harbor, where there are commercial fishing boats, some pleasure boats and sailboats, and a bunch of charter vessels that take people on sightseeing tours, fishing tours, and island tours, to the south along the Kenai Peninsula as well as around Prince William Sound and to the east toward Cordova.

Whittier?s entire population lives in a single highrise apartment building on the side of a mountain, sitting far below a huge glacier /icefield that produces massive waterfalls and ribbons of streams running down the steep embankments above.

Along the waterfront I stand along the railing looking down at the small boat harbor; a cruise ship is in. A few passengers wander around town, and a few of them sit on the benches by the harbor. The only significant activity in town and along the small harbor  docks seems to consist of a half-dozen attractive young people ages 22-32 carting huge white coolers of perishable food, drinks and ice, plus wagonloads full of potatoes, onions, beets, squash, bottles of drink mixers, etc. to load them aboard a large private yacht tied at the end of a dock out near the cruise ship. This white yacht is old-fashioned, probably from the 1940s and most likely a restored wooden boat, about 70 feet long with a lovely sleek hull and a long single-story cabin with a flat roof, trimmed in green paint. The cabin was lined with square windows all the way around to the rear deck. I?ll bet if I had walked down there to look, it would have had beautiful mahogany doors leading from the ?main salon? out to the rear dock, as these kinds of old yachts often had.  While reading about Alaska, I had noticed that there were quite a few of these older ?luxury yachts? available for charter, as well as some new ones ? with captain and crew of 3-5 people -- to cruise the coasts of Alaska for anywhere from a week to 10 weeks, whatever the passengers were willing to pay. I noticed that Whittier?s harbor contained at least a half-dozen of these large yachts ranging from 60-100 ft in length that probably take paying passengers on private charter trips. In only one other harbor we?ve been to ? Seward ? did I see any large luxury yachts like this tied up at the docks.

While standing at the railing of the boat harbor watching the passing parade, I got to talking with a lady of 82, from Ohio, who had brought her 2 married daughters on an Alaskan cruise to celebrate a special family event. They were from the Island Princess ship that was in port, and only 3 hours ago just prior to pulling into Whittier had learned from the captain of their ship that their 6-day land excursion portion of their cruise had been inexplicably cancelled. They had paid for the land portion already and apparently weren?t going to get their money back. They were angry, and were uncertain what to do.

No reason was given for the cancellation, and they were given no alternative land excursion package. They were told they could always ?find and pay separately for a different private land excursion, but once you leave the ship, you are responsible for everything. You can?t leave any belongings on the ship if you leave, and if you fail to show up exactly on time the day you?re supposed to meet with the ship in a different port, it might leave without you.? Oh, nice, huh? So they decided to just stay with the ship. But they were so disappointed that they won?t get to see any of the things they had planned on seeing, such as Anchorage or Denali.

After walking soe more, we took Rollin Home and got in line for the ferry to Juneau, then went to get dinner at a nearby place that has fish (halibut or cod) & chips. Outside tables were available, but had 1 or more people at each, so I asked a fellow sitting by himself if we could join him for dinner. Never have I seen anyone so overjoyed t being asked if we could share his table! We get to talking while he eats and we wait for our fish & chips. Ben Hausmann turns out to be the principal oboist with the Seattle Symphony Orchestra. He is such a joy! Taking a solo vacation by ferry. We gabbed about music, symphonies, conductors of symphony orchestras, the lives of musicians, his life in Seattle, a BMW he just bought, and before long 2 hours had passed in lively fashion. He?s taking the same ferry we?re on, se we?ll see him again over the next 2 days. Ben?s a graduate of Juillard and was at the Aspen Music Festival 5 years ago?he did that instead of coming to Breckenridge and spending the summer with the National Repertory Orchestra.

Our ferry is 2? hours late getting here from Kodiak but when it finally pulls in and docks, the crew swings into action and makes up much of the time we?ve lost? we leave within a half-hour of the scheduled departure. Clever how they organize the vehicles by destination, size, shape, etc to fit everybody on. A real jigsaw puzzle. They?re really good at this. Some very long RVs and trucks with trailers and semis have back onto the boat (yes, in reverse!). We go on head-first and then back into our lane ? of the way toward the bow of the ship, guided expertly by a fella who clearly has helped thousands of RV drivers and truck drivers onto the ferry into its narrow lanes.

It?s really late by the time we get underway, so we head for our cabin and hit the sack at 12:45 am.

Tuesday July 16, 2013 Day 49

Aboard the SS Kennicott, AMHS?306 ft long, full load of vehicles, not a full load of passengers though. To sleep at 12:30, my eyes boing wide open at 7. We?re far out at sea?no land visible out window on port side, which is the side where we?d see land if it was within sight. We?re in cabin 74A, with a large window about 5 ft x 6 ft in size. Nice. I got us a 4-berth cabin on the advice of friends, so that we would both have ?lowers? and we could pile our bags of stuff up top. Good idea?berths are narrow. Blankets very very thin, so we turned up the heat a bit in our cabin to avoid freezing overnight, and I wore my fleece to bed.

As it turned out, it was fortunate we got this 4-berth cabin, because Don would have killed himself hitting his head on the upper berth if he?d had to use one of the standard upper-lower berth beds?after he bonked his head 3 times in rapid succession on the upper, we decided I would sleep on the lower berth of the upper-lower set, and we would make up the ?couch? into a berth for Don?clever gadget, you pull a lever and yank the bed down from its locked position on the wall. It?s slightly wide than the other berths, too, so he was happy.

At 7 when I awoke, I took my pillow and crawled in with Don?now this is really snuggling! Very close quarters! We slept another hour. Got up, took shower, dressed, went for a hike around the ship to find everything and get the lay of the land, so to speak. 1 deck up is the caf? and all the lounges for observing, reading etc. Some kids and campers are in sleeping bags on the upper deck, stretched out on long white plastic lounge chairs, the folding kind. But there are no cushions for these plastic lounge chairs?looks pretty uncomfortable to me. One set of campers pitched a tent in the upper deck solarium?the ?stakes? used to hold their tent in place are taped to the ferry?s deck with neon green duct tape. In one of the forward lounges with upholstered reclining seats and many windows, some young?uns are stretched out on the carpeted floors between the longer rows of chairs, covered by thin blankets or unwound sleeping bags. Signs on the walls say there?s no ?camping? in these forward lounges, but nobody is enforcing the rules. The ferry provides large bathrooms with nice clean showers for people who sleep in tents and on chairs for the long trips, and don?t have their own cabins. Definitely the way to go if you?re traveling cheap.

Oatmeal and fruit for bkfst in the cafe. Hot tea. There?s a microwave available for anyone to use, no charge?ah, we can have our snacks and heat water for coffee and tea without paying a fortune! The cashier just told me there?s no charge, either, for hot water when you bring your own cup and teabag. Great! I thought everybody would be up early, that it would be a mob scene in the caf?not so, however. There are only a few people here yet. A few more straggle in every few minutes. It?s 8:45.

I talked to a staff member who is clearing tables and washing them. She lives on an island near Ketchikan, gets there by boat. Born & raised in Anchorage, she was a young child when the Big Earthquake hit Anchorage in 1964. She remembers certain details of that day, she says, with amazing clarity: Her mom had a large pot of stew simmering on the kitchen stove, and the pot flew across room with food streaming out of it when the quake hit. The images in this woman?s mind consist of a series of ?photographic stills??she can see the pot in midair, the food hanging suspended in the air and the pot?s cover floating in the air above the food. She even remembers the color of the paint on her home?s kitchen cabinets, and the cabinets? green trim. She recalls her mom running to her, grabbing her by the waist and taking her outdoors where they lay on the ground. She still sees in her mind?s eye all the trees in the yard ?rolling back and forth?. And she remembers an entire family who lived nearby being swallowed up by the earth and never seen again?the house and all the people were simply gone, disappeared. Not a trace of them was ever found.

Don and I strolled the deck when we finished in the caf?how I love to go stand on the bow of a moving ship. Not really the bow on this ferry?they don?t let passengers go down to that level, but only 1 deck above. Same thing. Weather gray, overcast, but mild. Too chilly to stay out for long without a fleece or coat though. Indoors, found comfortable places to sit and read for the day, use computer. Talked for a long time to AMHS (Alaska Marine Highway System) staffer who cleans the galleys during the night, as he was relaxing and finishing his coffee before heading for his bunk to sleep for the day. He?s been 18 yrs in Alaska, 16 of those working for AMHS doing the Ketchikan to Kodiak run, stopping in Homer, Whittier, Yakutat along the way. He has never tired of it! His work for the ferry system is 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, Ketchikan to Kodiak and back. The seas are generally calm is the summer months, but in winter high winds and high seas occur.

When the fog is thick and the seas are high, this must be a real challenge for the captain and the crew! I?ve read that the coasts and inlets of Alaska are littered with wrecks of ships. There are maps showing locations of all the shipwrecks, and it is literally dotted with points. We?re approaching an island that is a big rock outcropping, cliffs about 200 feet high, some trees and green. Just offshore of this cliff is a very tall, large, pointy rock to the south, lighthouse perched atop it.

A tugboat is approaching us from far off, hauling a big barge full of shipping containers piled 3 levels high with a large cable. The barge is probably a quarter mile or so behind the tub, way off to the side because the wind and current blows it sideways. Another ship of some kind appears off in the distance. And a couple of low-lying rock islands slightly to the north and way east as well.

We pull into the landlocked village of Yakutat about 7:30 tonight?might be there just long enough to get off the boat stretch our legs, walk to the coffee place and the little store up the street in Yakutat before reboarding and moving on towards Juneau. Even though the boat arrived 3 hours late last night from Kodiak, the crew did a fast turnaround, made up almost all of that time getting loaded?we left only a half-hour late, at 12:15 am instead of 11:45 pm, and this morning we?re back on schedule. We get into Juneau at about 2:30 tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday, the 17th). Long trip across the Bay of Alaska?

The maintenance guy tells me a story about some really heavy weather they were in last February?on this boat, in 50 knot winds, 15 ft waves, really listing and rolling, while heading for Kodiak from Whittier. Really unusual weather for that run. Cooks couldn?t get meals ready because of how rough it was. So most people were seated or in their cabins. This guy was in his bunk sleeping, it was daytime, but had to hang on tightly to the sides of his mattress to keep from pitching out of his bunk, with the rolling. Had the feeling that the boat was rolling in a way that didn?t feel normal?suddenly a 50-ft rogue wave rolled in and hit the Kennicott broadside, pushing it over nearly to the point where it couldn?t recover. But it did come back up?only after a tremendous amount of damage was done to the ship?big vending machines yanked right out of the walls everywhere, every chair not bolted down flew through the air, people flying everywhere, big firehoses came unrolled and flew out of their enclosures. Dishes broke, floors were littered with food, dishes, glasses, silverware, boxes, cans, teabags, sugar packets.

A guy who saw the wave coming and who had never been in a rogue wave before said to himself, ?Oh my god, this is the end. We?re all going to die!? The officers told him that the wave was above the height of the bridge and was the scariest thing they?d ever seen. They couldn?t do anything to dodge it, it came at the boat so fast. After it hit and the ship pitched to the side so dramatically, it lost both engines and wallowed in the heavy seas for hours, disabled. Workmen got the engines running again after about 6 hours, and when the ship pulled into Homer as an emergency measure, the Coast Guard impounded it and said it couldn?t sail anywhere because so many safety shutoff valves throughout the ship had operated properly that the ship couldn?t function safely until those valves were turned on once again. It took 2 weeks for repairs to be made so the ship could go to sea again.

We pass the day talking to people, reading, walking the decks for exercise. It?s blustery outside. Naturally, as evening approaches, the weather clears a bit and the sun pikes through as we near Yakutat, a native village with only one store and one little coffee shop. Yakutat has a harbor filled with every size of commercial fishing boat, and has a large fish processing plant on the docks where the ferry pulls in. It?s a tiny place with a population of only about 250 people, mostly natives. Lots of people exit the ship, just to stretch their legs. We decide not to, but to stand at the rail and watch the fascinating process of the crane aboard the ferry put a huge steel platform in place for vehicles to use to leave and enter the boat. Very cleverly done. Massive crane and massive platform, moved around as if they were toys.

The ferry is only in Yakutat for a bit over an hour, so everybody comes streaming back pretty quickly, some carrying sacks with a few groceries. Interestingly, quite a few natives who live in Yakutat come aboard the Kennicott and buy hot meals in the caf? of the ship to take out?everything from pizza to hamburgers to fish & chips. A ferry crew member tells me that some of the Yakutat locals buy 6 or more meals each time the ferry stops?so basically their whole week is ?ferry food.?

Don does his walkabout and meets more people aboard. He talks for quite a while with a fellow from Phoenix who is on a looooooong motorcycle journey throughout Alaska with his 11 year old daughter, who rides is an enclosed sidecar the whole time. They had helmets equipped with Bluetooth so they talk to each other a lot while riding. She is a real cutie, already almost 5 ft tall with a head of wonderfully frizzy light-brown hair that flies about her head like a halo. She dresses in jeans that graduate in color from bright neon pink at the bottom to yellow at the top, and then tops the outfit off with a pale yellow T-shirt. Sparkly pink sneakers on her feet, and a sparkly pink thing about her neck. I compliment her on her wonderfully bright and coordinated colors, and she grins broadly and says, ?You?re the very first person who has noticed or said anything about my outfit on this whole trip.? She?s obviously pleased that I noticed. I tell her she?s an artist with a great sense of color, and she tells me, ?Well, maybe not an artist, but a musician anyway.? She plays the piano and the violin?I tell her again, she?s an artist! She beams!

?Is this your Trip of a Lifetime?? I ask. ?Oh, yes, it definitely is,? she responds. She tells me they are having a really wonderful time together, staying in roadhouses, B&Bs, and motels along the way most of the time. ?Whose idea was this trip?? I ask. She looks at her dad, and says to him, ?Dad, whose idea was this? Didn?t we both have the same idea at the same time?? They converse together so wonderfully. He says he had always wanted to come to Alaska, and she says, ?So Have I, from the time I was little I always wanted to come here.?

Before long, we?re at sea again headed for Juneau, at the foot of the Lynn Canal. Don and I read for a short time, then retire to our cabin for night #2 at sea. We will sleep a lot better tonight, having adjust to the vibration and noise of the engines.

Wednesday July 17, 2013 Day 50

Short diary today. Got to Juneau in afternoon. Went to Spruce Meadow RV Park and checked in. Found our spot, left to go to Fred Meyer for a few groceries.

On the way back to RV park, stopped by the small boat harbor to have a late lunch/early dinner of fish & chips we?d heard about?a little place the locals love called Hot Bite. Sorta fast food joint with a few tables indoors and a few outdoors. A bit chilly outside with the wind so we eat indoors. They offer a halibut cheeks sandwich?oh, goody, I will have one of those! Don has his usual cod fish & chips. The halibut cheeks, I must say, are vastly overrated?these are overcooked, not tender. Not only stringy in texture but a bit rubbery too. I think I?m done forever with halibut cheeks. Don?s cod is delish.

We decide not to go into downtown Juneau today?we?ll be back here later and we?ll go then, probably on the bus since downtown Juneau is very tight for parking, especially larger vehicles like RVs. For now we?ll just enjoy the outskirts. Less traffic, very lovely.

It?s a bright sunny day, quite warm really. We go for a walk around the harbor before leaving. The parking lot here is very very very tight?we?re lucky someone in a corner spot was pulling out or we never would have gotten the Rollin Home parked in this little pie-shaped lot. A good omen.

Back at the RV park, we take another walk around the park and talk to some folks who are staying there. Nice place. I feel good about leaving the RV here when we go to Gustavus later on. The weather is so mild, this would be a great place to sit outside and read, but there are mosquitoes and black flies. Yuck. So we read indoors with the screen closed and windows open.

Clearly we are back in ?the south? where it actually gets dark at night?late, but at least the sun is not shining brightly at midnight. We have a very old favorite, small liverwurst sandwiches with mayo, for a late dinner, with some wine, and then hit the sack early in order to be up at 4:45 am to get to the ferry dock on time for our trip to Skagway tomorrow morning. Nice day?unhurried, very coastal, gorgeous fjord scenery.

Thursday July 18, 2013 Day 51

Arrived at the ferry dock at 5:45, got our tickets and drove into our lane to wait. Loaded at 7 am, ferry departed on the dot of 8 am, per schedule. Such efficiency! While waiting in line, we ate breakfast in the Rollin Home. We?re getting this down to a science?set alarm, rise, get dressed, go to ferry, check in, get in line, then eat breakfast and have our tea. Good system.

This system also gives Don plenty of time to do his walkabouts. He has such fun talking to everybody in the RV lanes at the ferries. And everybody is always really interested in our RV?nobody has ever seen one like it, so they all want to ask questions. Today, Don brings only 1 couple in for ?the tour?. Lots more vehicles in line to get on the ferry today than at Whittier, but the loading is much speedier. The difference I learned later, is that the vehicles don?t ALL have to get a 4-point strapdown to prevent movement?On the MV Kennicott we were crossing the Gulf of Alaska where there is greater chance of rough weather and movement of vehicles and cargo; now that we?re sheltered by offshore islands, the waters are almost always calm and vehicles are unlikely to shift. So it speeds the loading process considerably.

The trip today was 4 ? hours to Skagway from Juneau, stopping at Haines along the way The population is much greater in this part of Alaska?I can see cabins along the coastlines and on some islands as the MV Malaspina chugs on by. We are cruising the Lynn Canal almost the entire way to Skagway, the primary route of the gold rush Klondikers as they rushed to the gold fields almost a thousand miles to the north. The Lynn Canal is a huge body of water with countless little islands, some with marine markers and lights on them. One that we pass has a 1-story octagonal white stone lighthouse perched atop it. Looked more like Maine or Massachusetts than Alaska. Sometimes we?re very close to ?shore? on one side of the ship?shore being where a giant tree-covered piece of rock rises straight up out of the water. Other times the shore is far away on both sides.

Looking ahead up the canal to the north, I see layer upon layer of high mountains rising in the misty distances, faintly blue and getting lighter and lighter as they recede. We?ve come out of the morning fog and clouds now and the sun is shining. Good day for sunburn, I can tell. The water of the canal is very blue-green. At times I can see a huge waterfall where a river or creek grey with volcanic ash silt pours into the Canal, turning it milky.

At timers the Malaspina passes another ferry going the other way. The Malaspina is the oldest ship in the Alaska Marine Highway System, launched in 1964.

As we pull into the dock at Skagway, 3 huge cruise ships are in the harbor. The winds are blasting but temperatures are mild. We?re one of the last vehicles off the Malaspina, though we were one of the first on board.

As we drove off the ferry, we took a quick right and were in Pullen Creek RV Park instantly. Now this is nice! Owner told us our spot and to go ahead and park, and check in later?he had an RV caravan arriving and needed to get them settled in.

NOTE: Anybody staying in Skagway and intending to stay at Pullen Creek RV Park should definitely make a reservation several weeks beforehand! The owner tells us that he is getting 3 calls an hour from people wanting a space, saying to him ?Oh we never make a reservation ahead of time, we always just call in when we get there!?  Well, he declares to me and Don, ?They?re certainly NOT staying here then!? He?s full every night, and anybody who doesn?t make a reservation a long way ahead for this time of year is out of luck. PS There are 2 other RV parks in town, 1 fairly large, 1 small. Neither as good as Pullen Creek, nor as convenient. Pullen Creek park is where most of the RV caravan tours stay, we understand. 

Incidentally, we went and did our laundry while in Skagway for 3 ? days at the laundromat in in the other RV park, the one at the north end of town?best laundromat in town, the locals told us. We agree?lots of big washers and big dryers! Affordable too.

While at Pullen Creek RV Park, Don met Beth who is driving a Winnebago Via, very much like our RV, also a Mercedes diesel Sprinter van. She?s from Florida, a great talker. She?s part of the big RV caravan that came in just after we arrived?24 RVs traveling together on a Fantasy Tours trip for 48 days. They?re staying in Skagway 4 nights, then going back into Canada, heading south then they split up at Smithers BC. 

Beth, traveling by herself, is a widow of 78 who has had every kind of camping experience with her late husband over the years they were married?from tents to pop-ups to truck campers to big Class A coaches. So she really knows what she?s doing, more than we do. She loves her ?downsized? Winnebago Via 2010 as much as we love our Itasca Reyo. One of the latches on her basement storage cabinet wasn't working, so Don tried to help her fix it. The guide of her RV caravan finally was the one who got it fixed and working for her.

We took a walk into Skagway in the blowing winds, and found most stores and shops already closed by 5-6 pm. This town rolls up its sidewalks early in spite of cruise ships or other visitors, for gosh sakes! But we were able to go into the local bookstore/newsstand and, BEHOLD! We found the NY Times AND the Wall Street Journal! Hurrah!  The papers are flown in daily from Juneau?so needless to say we?ll buy them every day we?re here!

Dinner in the RV consists of Susie?s little French picnic and wine. A bit of reading, and off to bed. I?m beginning to dream every night of fjords and other Alaskan scenery. The spectacular country is imprinting itself on my mind?s screen.

Friday July 19, 2013 Day 52

Slept in?pitter-patter of rain through the night and into this morning. Good sleeping sounds.  No wind this morning, clouds are lifting a bit, but still gray. Walked into town about 11:30 to look around a bit, do a little  shopping (of course, we need absolutely nothing!), and pick up our tickets for the Days of ?98 show at 2:30, which I reserved about 3 months ago for today, thinking it would be crowded and I might not be able to get in. Ha! Hardly the case. The place is deserted, except for the actors, dressed in goldrush days garb and barking their come-on lines in front of the Old Eagles Hall where the show is performed daily (since 1923!!!). the actors have changed, obviously, but not the show?

When it started, there were about 20 of us in attendance, enough to make it interesting with the hoots and hollers, but anything but packed. The place seats about 250 and on days when several cruise ships are in, it is packed. But today is a ?quiet day? in Skagway. The show is about Soapy Smith, the con man from Chicago who controlled the town of Skagway much like a Mafia don during the gold rush days of 2897-98, until a vigilante by the name of Frank Reid (incidentally, another two-timing crook!) took him out?both men died in the gunfight that took place on the docks just about where our RV is parked.

Skagway is loaded with historic buildings dating from 1880 to 1915 that have been rescued and restored, as well as some tumbledown shacks and crumbling wood buildings that are either in the process of being restored or are just deteriorating. We walked the main street, Broadway, and some of the side streets, after the show ended. At the visitor center, several hosts told us NOT to try driving the Dyea road (pronounced Dye-eee) out to the mud flats and to the trailhead of the Chilkoot Trail, where the gold rushers went when they started their horrendously long hike up over the White Pass through snow and ice and carrying a thousand pounds of supplies to get to the Yukon River for their trip to Dawson City to find treasure 800 miles north. On nearly impassable terrain. We were told the road to Dyea and the Chilkoot Trail was gravel all the way, one-lane and very narrow in places, with many blind curves and jutting rocks that would prevent us from seeing or avoiding oncoming traffic.

Don has his heart set on going out to see the Chilkoot Trail, after all we?ve read and are reading about the Klondike gold rush years. We can either rent a jeep to drive ourselves out there, or find a guide to take us there. We find out that renting a jeep will cost us $120 for a day. Suddenly I spot a large 24-passenger shuttle van labeled Dave?s Dyea as it rumbles past us?exactly the same size and length as our RV, and clearly it drives the horrid road out to Dyea, so why can?t we? Don runs to catch the driver and see if he/she would take us out there, but the driver has disappeared along with all the passengers as we round the round where it has parked.

Frustrated, we stop in at the Visitor Center (again) and ask for the phone number of Dave?s Dyea Shuttle & Tours. Don is on the phone with Dave himself as I stand outdoors waiting. Dave says to look out the window for a white van that happens to be parked 3 steps from where I am waiting, driven by a lady named Ruth. He says she?ll be glad to take us out to Dyea. When? Don inquires. Right now, Dave says.

Don steps outside to find and speak with Ruth, and finds her and me inches apart. Ruth says she?s waiting for a couple of hikers to arrive on the White Pass & Yukon Railroad train, who she is going to shuttle out to the Dyea campground to pick up their cars. She says she?ll charge us $15 each for the round trip to Dyea, and she?ll show us everything on the way?what a deal!!! WE scramble aboard. It is 5:30 pm?who cres if this is a late-day tour? It?s light until at least 9 so we?re in luck!

Turns out Ruth Craig is 72 and hails from Tipton, Michigan, south and a bit west of the Detroit area in the very southern part of the state. It is such fun hearing Alaska stories from a fellow Michigander. And such stories she tells us! She is Dave?s sister and has been here 18 years, moving here after 30+ years in Arkansas after leaving Michigan and raising 6 sons there. She is an absolute fountain of information about everything and is a salt-of-the-earth lady, rugged and unpretentious and friendly. She leans her head out the window to call to everyone we meet along the way, calling each by name. Rush is a delight. She reminds me so much of some of the rural women I knew outside Grand Rapids, folksy of talk and manner, and quite Southern in her speech patterns after so many years in Arkansas. She calls everything a ?booger?, ranging from her old car, to an unfriendly dog, to an eagle, to a problem situation she once faced.

Incidentally, the Dyea Road is pretty lousy, but it certainly would be driveable by us in our RV. There are some even larger camping vehicles parked out at the campgrounds ?like a 26-foot 5th wheel trailer hauled by a large long-bed truck. And as we return from this adventure we see a 40-foot Class A coach headed out there?now that, I would NOT want to be driving, but our little 25 footer would do just fine! And there?s really no places on the road that someone couldn?t back up enough or pull over to let a passing vehicle get by.

The 2 hikers have spent a week hiking the Chilkoot to Bennett, in Canada. (Bennett is the small town where gold rushers built small Gerry-built boats out of packing crates and other ?found? lumber pieces, to float down the Yukon River from its headwaters toward Dawson in 1897 until 1902, mostly long after the real gold was long gone.) The young woman, in her 30s, is from Switzerland and left her hiking partner in Skagway while she picks up their truck; the young man, in his 40s, is from Anchorage. Ruth regales all of us with stories of Skagway and hunting and eagles and salmon runs and floods and old villages on the way out to the Chilkoot Trailhead lot.

After dropping off the hikers at their cars, Ruth drives us out onto the mud flats at the head of the Lynn Canal, where the chum salmon and the pinks salmon are just beginning to swim upstream through the rapids toward their spawning grounds. These heavy gravel stream-bottoms are where they love to swish their tails and scoop out the streambed nest in which they lay their eggs, she announces. Don and I both get out to walk in to see one of the streams where fish are swimming and resting. The flies and mosquitoes are thick. It?s not pleasant?if we were to camp out here at the state park campground, we?d be wearing mosquito nets for sure. We see some very nice salmon?the pinks?coming upstream.

We drive slowly through the state park campground?the sites are very nice! Each with a picnic table and a fire ring, and a nice level gravel parking pad. But no hookups of any kind. About 10 of the sites are taken, by truck campers and tent campers. They must like bugs a lot.

On our way back toward Skagway on the Dyea Road, Ruth points out where the eagles always are?and a big bald eagle is sitting right there on a sandbar eating a fish. Slowly and deliberately. Picking it clean, despite what we?ve heard and read that eagles often eat just the head (with all its fat) and leave the rest of the fish for the scavenger crows and gulls. We sit there for a good 20 minutes watching and taking pictures. The first eagle is joined by a 2nd. Then a young bald eagle ? brown and white spotted, so definitely about 2 years old ? flies in an lands, but is quickly rousted and sent off the reservation by the adult eagles protecting their territory and their fish.

When we returned to town, Ruth drove us all round town showing us everything, include the old carved stone McCabe College building from 1880 that is now a government building. She drove us past each person?s house and told us who lived there, who had gardens, who had kids,, who does what, where, when and how. What a kick! She even drove us past her own house with its raspberries growing up the fence and its vegetable garden.

That was SO special?.a really wonderful experience with a wonderful lady. I gladly paid her more than she said she would charge us, and Don threw in another $20 for her. We had asked her if we could take her to dinner after this wonderful and she declined, so we took it to mean she?d rather have the money. She?s had a very tough life. I gave Ruth a big hug, and we walked back to our Rollin Home, totally satisfied that we?d had the BEST of all tours of Dyea and the trailhead of Chilkoot.

One more thing: We came here thinking we would hike the very beginning of the Chilkoot for maybe an hour, just to get a feel for what the horrors of it were for the mean and their pack animals back in the day. But the trailhead at the bottom of the Chilkoot is absolutely nothing like the pictures you see of the steep ?ice steps? section of the trail. The trailhead is actually on the flats, and you have to go 13 miles before you get to the really tough stuff. The trail has many sharp rocks and lots of roots to trip on, and goes mostly through forested areas along muddy paths. Lots of bugs. Can you guess? We didn?t hike for an hour!

Back at home, another Susie French picnic dinner of cold cuts, cheese, apple, and bread plus some wine, and off to bed. The best day ever!  We really got to see and feel and experience what we wanted to see?.the Chilkoot Trail?s beginning, and the ferocious distance the gold rushers had to hike with all their stuff ?20 miles out of steep, narrow rocky trail that is now the Dyea Road?before they even GOT to the Chilkoot Trail. I can?t even imagine what spurred these men on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom