5.9 Cummins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G. Lee

Hi, I'm looking at this Gulfstream with 80,000 km for $24,000
34ft. 5.9 Cummings Turbo Diesel rear engine. Spartan chassis. 6500Propane Generator. Air Ride. Hydraulic leveling. New tires. Heated basement. I'm wondering if that motor is a little light for this unit? I also plan to pull a 17' boat. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Gerald

The rule of thumb is about 1 hp per 100 lbs of loaded weight. If you routinely pull the boat trailer, count that weight too. 1/100 won't give car like performance, but it will get the job done.

If you are concerned about performance, bigger is better, e.g. 1 hp for every 80 lbs

FWIW I have a 5.9[in a 94 Dolphin 32D] that I believe is rated @190 HP and pull a 3500# CRV w/o even knowing it is there.
Before I added brakes to the toad I didn't realize how much better it helped in stopping the whole unit.
And as for power on hill climbing I admit on steep grades It will drop to 35mph. That's happened maybe a dozen times in 15,000 miles of ownership.
Would I like more power...yes...can I live with what I've got...yes.

George

I 've got a 96 Holiday Rambler fully loaded with toad and old car dolly I'm at 27,500lb. that's max. My 5.9 is rated 230hp 615ft lbs of torque.
If I get a good running start I have maintained 50mph in the smokey mountains going  through Tennessee, and Kentucky. It could use my horses, but they eat more hay.
HTH
Joe

Back
Top Bottom