Black tank....open or closed drain while full timing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T

TonyDtorch

some of the full timers in my park monitor the tank sensors and open the black tank to drain out when it's full as opposed to leaving it open all the time.
They are saying it helps prevent the dreaded poop pyramid. 

This makes sense, but it's not very convenient..... any thoughts ?

RV Toilets do not have enough Water Flow to adequately wash the solids across the Black Tank floor to the Sewer Connection.  Keep in mind that the RV is essentially level and you will have a minimum of 2' from the Toilet outlet to the Sewer Line.  The flat surface of the Black Tank will disburse the water across its surface thus effectively reducing its flow pressure, unlike the constriction and slant of the sewer lines in your home.

Net of all the above is don't do it. 

Closed, definitely closed. It's really not that big of deal, I only dump mine about once a week and we run a lot of water into it.

You don't need to monitor the gauge. After a few cycles, you will know about how long it takes for the tank to get around 3/4 full and you can dump every x days based on that. If you plan around 3/4 of a tank, you can do it a little early or a little late and still be fine.

TonyDtorch said:
... the dreaded poop pyramid. 

This makes sense, but it's not very convenient..... any thoughts ?
The dreaded poop pyramid is a heck of a lot more inconvenient. I am a full timer and I can go two weeks without dumping but usually I just dump every Saturday morning then I don't have to keep track of anything.

Ever see those adds for expensive and completly useless black tank chemicals that show a very stinky rig with nobody close by.

The problem is he left his valves open. Close 'em and that does not happen.
NOTE: applies to both tanks.  Less the hose, which in some parks must "Slope smoothly toward the drain" forms a trap to trap sewer gasses underground and a tight seal to the ground.. That is what happens when you open the valves.

Both valves are closed unless I am dumping. I don't need to be the vent for the whole sewer line and don't need any solids that escape down the drain to settle in the bottom of the tank. For convenience, I installed an electric gate valve on my gray tank.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom