Atwood Hydroflame 8900 not igniting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krys2130

Hey guys, I read some of your posts and saw that everyone is so helpful, so I thought maybe you could help me.
I have a 1995 Explorer truck camper and last year we were hunting and that night we had plugged the camper in to the generator to charge the battery.  It was cold that night and we set the thermostat and away the furnace went, but then sometime throughout the night the furnace quit working and hasn't worked since.  This is what it's doing:

I set the thermostat and the fan kicks on
I hear some clicking then a clunking sound (purge? I smell propane at the exhaust)
then I hear one small click that's it

I know that our battery is no good so I am wondering if that is a factor, although the camper is plugged into the house anyways.
I changed the electrode as the old one had a small crack in the insulator

I am going to try a different battery and go fill my bottles up and try again but in the meantime any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cant really help but heres link to couple of pdf files-Unsure but I would not do anthing till you had good 12 source. Though converter should be supplying power (you mentioned plugged in-) possibly low or no DC voltage? Though sounds like stuff is trying several things need to happen, several which you can test for function.
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf description of processes
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflameservice.pdf  older '97 some more detailed troubleshootin

Try my Furnace Troubleshooting article in the Forum Library. If nothing else it will help you understand the sequence of operation so you can troubleshoot better.

The series of clicks you hear is probably the igniter trying and failing. The rest is the shutdown process, i.e. the gas valve closes and the fan relay clicks off. The fact that it quit suddenly while operating makes me suspect that some component went bad. I would suspect the igniter, but you say its new and you hear the clicks that suggest it is trying. Could it have possibly slipped out of position enough so that the spark is no longer in the right place to ignite the LP? Maybe vibration loosened it up?

Once the furnace fails to light, the controller goes through an orderly shutdown and won't try to ignite again until you turn it off and back on again (usually via the thermostat).

Back
Top Bottom