What length 5er?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmcisaac

I am looking to purchase my first 5er and I think I would prefer something in the 34-37 foot range.  I have also read that there are limits to the length of trailer that can be accomodated in some campgrounds.  If I went with a 37 foot 5er would I have problems finding good campgrounds or should I plan on staying with something not quite as long?  Is there a size that is generally acceptable in the vast majority of campgrounds?  Also, I am looking at a high profile 5er.  I am assuming that the height is not an issue.  Is that correct?

Height is an issue.  I have seen more than one over-tall 5er or MH indulge in some impromptu tree trimming getting into a campite -- or even get wedged when the score is tree 1, trailer 0.   

It is a poor commercial CG that cannot handle a 34-37 foot fiver.  That is not to say, there are not poor commercial CGs out there.  Access roads can be a bit interesting tho.  Public campgrounds are another matter.  A long unit can be effectly barred from a lot of USFS and NPS camps both from the standpoint of site size and access roads.

A rig that long is going to restrict your choices somewhat, but not drastically.  Older parks may not have sites that long (or roads adequate to give you access to them) and some state and  National or US FOrest Serivice parks don't even attempt to accomodate big rigs.  But there will usuallybe  a park in any area with sites large enough for you.

But height is always a concern and not just in campgrounds.  Once you get up to around 12'6", the chances of finding low tree limbs, wires and bridges increase drastically.  If your "high profile" rig gets up to 13'6" (some do), bridges & tunnels become a major concern east of the Mississippi.  Many of the older interstate bridges in the East have 13'6" clearance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom