Yet Another "Is my vehicle ok for this trailer" posting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shultis01

We are also concerned with the towing capability of our vehicle and if this trailer is right for us. Maybe you can clarify?
We have a 2006 Jeep Commander V8 Hemi 
MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY**7200 lbs. MAXIMUM PAYLOAD**1490 lbs.
GROSS WEIGHT6400 lbs. DRAG COEFFICIENT0.42 Cd
CURB WEIGHT5047 lbs. ANGLE OF APPROACH34.0 degrees
ANGLE OF DEPARTURE27.0 degrees CARGO CAPACITY, ALL SEATS IN PLACE7.5 cu.ft.
MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY68.9 cu.ft. 

** When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades.

Looking at the 2013 Jayco Swift 267bhs
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 5,315
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 675
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,185

Salesman says it's fine.... what are your thoughts?
Thank you!

Shultis01 said:
We are also concerned with the towing capability of our vehicle and if this trailer is right for us. Maybe you can clarify?
We have a 2006 Jeep Commander V8 Hemi 
MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY**7200 lbs. MAXIMUM PAYLOAD**1490 lbs.
GROSS WEIGHT6400 lbs. DRAG COEFFICIENT0.42 Cd
CURB WEIGHT5047 lbs. ANGLE OF APPROACH34.0 degrees
ANGLE OF DEPARTURE27.0 degrees CARGO CAPACITY, ALL SEATS IN PLACE7.5 cu.ft.
MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY68.9 cu.ft. 

** When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades.

Looking at the 2013 Jayco Swift 267bhs
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 5,315
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 675
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,185

Salesman says it's fine.... what are your thoughts?
Thank you!

Trailer GVWR = 7500 lbs.  Truck tow rating = 7200 lbs.    A sub marginal match at best.    If you would tow in the 11 Western States, your Jeep is definitely overloaded with that trailer.

We like to allow about 10% for truck loading -- only a 154-lb driver and full fluids are included in the tow rating.  Passengers, truck cargo, hitch mechanisms subtract from that tow rating.  If you tow in the West, the 7000-11,000 foot altitudes subtract 3% of rated HP per 1000 feet of altitude from the performance of un-turbocharged engines -- essentially all gasoline engines except the Ford EcoBoost units.  For that reason and the long, long grades out there, I bump that tow rating allowance up to 20% in the West.

To put numbers on it, if you will tow only east of the Rockies, look for a trailer with a GVWR of no more than 6500 lbs.  If you will tow in the West, limit your trailer to a maximum GVWR of 5800 lbs.

Thank you!!!! You just saved me a lot of aggravation. I just wish the dealer had told us that so we didnt' waste a ton of time and energy. Now I need to find
something similar in floor plan but a lot lighter. Appreciate your help!!!

I've been trying to find one online that fits our needs and thought maybe I'd put it out on this site and look for suggestions.
We are looking for a trailer that has the bunks in the back and queen bed up front that will be within our weight range.
Any thoughts?

Perhaps now is the time for you to start your own topic and list your requirements and Truck capacities that you have learned about in this thread. Long threads such as this tend to get less attention as time goes on and this will help potential respondents by not having to search for your details .

Simply click on the "New Topic" at the top of this list!!

Alfa38User said:
Perhaps now is the time for you to start your own topic and list your requirements and Truck capacities that you have learned about in this thread. Long threads such as this tend to get less attention as time goes on and this will help potential respondents by not having to search for your details .

Simply click on the "New Topic" at the top of this list!!

Better yet, a forum staff member can get off his lazy butt and split Shultis01's topic off from the original topic thread so it can get the attention it needs. 

Therefore, I have so gotten off and so done.  Thanks for the wake up call.    :)

Back
Top Bottom