has anyone replaced their horribly heavy corian table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yasha.violet

I typically carry two babies on each hip and I go to ut the table down and pulled a muscle in my arm and dropped it.  I cannot believe its SO heavy. is it just me?

When we take our grandkids, my wife says putting the table down is my job.  It's not that it's so heavy (at least not for me) just that you're bending over while trying to lift something of awkward size...could take any of us down if we lift it just wrong or twist the wrong way, etc.

I put my back out a couple weeks ago just bending over to pick up a dime I dropped.  Just no warning.  But in your case, I'm sure those kids are putting added stress on your body.  Just curious....how many kids does your man have on his hips? :p

ha ha, maybe i can just juggle them. :)

but my point with mentioning the kids is they create a workout regime in my everyday routine- plump little weights- they toughen me up without the gym.

My beloved Husband has the weight of caring for all of us on his strong shoulders- something I am glad not to bare!  I love my 'lot in life'!

Your right about the awkwardness. We are considering replacing it.  Maybe with a different table similar but lighter or turning it into a u-shaped dinette and dealing with a smaller surface but have more spacious seating.

it also loosens and I couldnt imagine the damage if it fell on one of the children!

You RV is probably newer than mine but my table is made of formica covered particle board and, though awkward to handle, not very heavy.  You might look into building some sort of composite table and ditch the Corian.

When I converted a school bus, I wanted to keep things light, and still look nice, so for a table I used an Oak Veneered hollow core door that was the right width, and cut it to length. I had to insert a piece if the solid part of the door that I cut off to fill the hollow end I ended up with. Just gluing it in, and then sanded and varnished it. And it even looked like an expensive solid Oak table. Since I had access to several damaged doors, I even used them for forming compartment dividing walls.

Lee

For your health and everyone else in your family, put the kid down for a minute and then put the table up or down, no kid needs to be held every second of the day!!

M1894 said:
When I converted a school bus, I wanted to keep things light, and still look nice, so for a table I used an Oak Veneered hollow core door that was the right width, and cut it to length. I had to insert a piece if the solid part of the door that I cut off to fill the hollow end I ended up with. Just gluing it in, and then sanded and varnished it. And it even looked like an expensive solid Oak table. Since I had access to several damaged doors, I even used them for forming compartment dividing walls.

Lee

Do you have a picture?  Does it attach to the wall?  ours is one of those ones with the flimsy metal leg and that clips into a piece the wall. We also have a baby chair that clips onto the side of the table, and I would like the table to be sturdy enough for that.  Basically we've decided to make our own too.  We need it to be functional and trust worthy.  We would like it to be able to convert into a bed too.

Does anyone know of a place where there are a collection of table modifications/replacements? kinda like a pinterest page or something?

Probably similar to what Lee mentioned: http://makezine.com/projects/hollow-core-door-table/

You can also make your own hollow core from scratch.  Top and bottom being 1/8" or even 1/4" high quality veneer ply.  Insides are strips of wood spaced  several inches apart (or more ... your choice) glued in.  This way you can decide where the solid part of the table will be for attaching hardware.

Also the table top could have a sheet of Formica glued to the top ply sheet.  Edging can be in Formica too.

I had to make a new dining booth with a table that turns drops down like usual, I used a good 1/2" plywood then built the edges up to make it 1" thick and then covered it with laminate from Menards, cost was less than 100.00 dollars and its nothing like solid surface material in weight

Well we sort of replaced it, traded the camper it was in off for a motor home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom