1989 Winnebago Chieftain Norcold 683 N Posterior Color Wiring Picture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Double Nickle

I wanted to start by prefacing I'm an idiot.  I recently got back from a trip and my Norcold unit quit working.  I removed the driver side access panel to get the the fuses, and when I did i disconnected all of the wires going to the fuse panel.  I should have taken a picture so I knew what color went where, and now I'm lost.  I know the white connects at the top(J1) and the AC plug goes at the bottom, but other then that I hopeless.  The yellow and black and green wires have me grasping for straws and none of them are labeled +/- If anyone has a colored picture they can post so that I can mirror it, I would be very thankful. 

John, been awhile since I was on here, thanks for the response as I finally figured it out and took a picture this time to remember the sequence. I have another question for you/the forum, I have gone on a few trips now running the generator and the Norcold unit will only get moderately cool in the fridge, but the freezer freezes up quickly and properly.  Thoughts?  This is also true if I am plugged into shore power.

Yeah, your cooling unit may be dying. The freezer gets priority, then any residual cooling capacity goes to the fridge area. If there isn't enough to go around, the fridge gets warmer.

But before you panic, try re-arranging the food inside the box. The interior relies on convection (not fans) and a packed upper shelf can prevent cooler air from dropping to the lower parts. Also try adding one of those little battery operated fridge fans - sometimes that helps.

On the outside, check for blockage in the "cooling tower". Outside air is drawn in the sidewall vent and exits at the top. If it can't flow through, cooling is reduced. Sometimes birds or bees nest in their, or wires fall down and block the flow. You could try adding a 12v fan back there too.

Thank you Gary, I will take a look at the exhaust vent and remember the convection point.  After all, it is a 20+ year old system so I cant complain too much.  One last thought/question, I saw a company that you can buy replacement cooling units for a fraction of the cost of a new system.  WHat are your thoughts on that?

Double Nickle said:
.. I saw a company that you can buy replacement cooling units for a fraction of the cost of a new system.  WHat are your thoughts on that?
I was recently chatting with a fellow that was on his third Amish 'heavy duty' replacement cooling unit, each one lasted about three or four weeks.  As far as I'm concerned the ideal replacement is a residential fridge but you need an appropriately sized inverter and battery bank.

Back
Top Bottom